• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
See now wouldn't Tony have been a much funnier pick though?
The issue there is that it would defeat the purpose of what Banana Guard was for. Tony would not be able to reuse assets, and likely wouldn't be billed as a joke character. They'd also need to secure James Gandolfini's likeness.

Tony would need to be a full effort addition, which is not what Banana Guard is.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
See now wouldn't Tony have been a much funnier pick though?
No, Tony wouldn't have been because he wouldn't be meant to BE one.
Seriously. The Sopranos is just as valid of a series to get in as Game of Thrones is as a major HBO series.

And what would be the joke? That he's a "normal" mob boss while other fighters have more fantastical or cartoonish elements about them barring ****ing LeBron James the plain ol' basketball player that just happened to star in a movie with Looney Tunes characters?

Just stop.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Seriously. The Sopranos is just as valid of a series to get in as Game of Thrones is as a major HBO series.

And what would be the joke? That he's a "normal" mob boss while other fighters have more fantastical or cartoonish elements about them barring ****ing LeBron James the plain ol' basketball player that just happened to star in a movie with Looney Tunes character?

Just stop.
No the funny part would be that he's fighting Shaggy and Steven Universe and Bugs Bunny, it's the tonal dissonance, just like how Arya Stark is funny in this game because the character from the show with incest and cannibalism is fighting with a bunch of kid friendly characters. A character can be a funny pick without being a joke themselves

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
It's kind of difficult to pin down what a "joke character" in Multiversus even means or looks like. Obviously Banana Guard qualifies, just because he's such a left field choice even within his own series, but anyone who is the main character of a WB property is pretty much on par with anyone else. It's really an anything goes kind of game - so yeah, Tony Soprano being there is funny on paper, but no more or less than Arya Stark fighting alongside Bugs Bunny.

It's sort of the same thing with Smash. Piranha Plant reads as a gag character by virtue of its identity within its own series, but someone like ROB or Wii Fit Trainer are generally treated with the same amount of esteem or validity as any other character in the game. These crossover games are goofy at the core and as such it's kind of hard to sell the audience on a "joke character", on convey that they are in fact a joke, unless they are so far detached from anything resembling a main character or a fighter that it wraps around to utter ridiculousness.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Read the edit
I did, and the point is still just as ridiculous.

Tony wouldn't be meant to be a "funny pick".
Just the idea would be inherently funny in concept given the tonal dissonance, but he's otherwise meant to be taken seriously since he's ****ing Tony Soprano from The Sopranos.

Notice how we're talking of Jason Vorhees, who is even more of a tonal dissonance given he's a slasher film star, yet I don't see you attempting to claim he's a "funny pick".

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
This game's relaunch so far has been very...rough, to say the least.

But I'm genuinely excited for Jason (if I'm not dreaming right now). An actual hype character and one of the characters I wrote up an essay for and gave a 100% for want is coming??? He may just be the thing to get me back into the game.

And speaking of Jason, I'm not sure if I ever shared this anywhere on Smashboards but during the Smash 4 days I had a dream where Jason came to Smash. The only thing I remember from the dream was that Jason's intro was his coffin falling from the sky vertically and he walks out of it.

This is the closest thing to having that dream come true and that's absolutely wild.

Last edited:

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
It's kind of difficult to pin down what a "joke character" in Multiversus even means or looks like. Obviously Banana Guard qualifies, just because he's such a left field choice even within his own series, but anyone who is the main character of a WB property is pretty much on par with anyone else. It's really an anything goes kind of game - so yeah, Tony Soprano being there is funny on paper, but no more or less than Arya Stark fighting alongside Bugs Bunny.

It's sort of the same thing with Smash. Piranha Plant reads as a gag character by virtue of its identity within its own series, but someone like ROB or Wii Fit Trainer are generally treated with the same amount of esteem or validity as any other character in the game. These crossover games are goofy at the core and as such it's kind of hard to sell the audience on a "joke character", on convey that they are in fact a joke, unless they are so far detached from anything resembling a main character or a fighter that it wraps around to utter ridiculousness.
But we're talking Tony Soprano being comparable as a joke to the Banana Guard.

Which is just as valid as comparing Jason to Banana Guard for similar reasons to Tony.

Two are merely tonally different but still taken just as seriously as everyone else while one is clearly meant to be a joke.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Did you just completely ignore people's replies to you?

From a few years ago. The devs said they're down for anyone especially given those rumors regarding Eleven from Stranger Things. Also Chip n' Dale (2022) despite being a Disney film had characters from non-Disney properties.

Last edited:
So...

About the crouching elephant, hidden banana in the room.

It's not that picking the Banana Guard as a new Adventure Time character in MultiVersus is a bad thing. It's the when, where, and how of it that makes troublesome.

First, there's the internal competition of strictly Adventure Time characters. Marceline, Ice King, Fionna the Human, Lemongrab, Lady Rainicorn, BMO, Princess Bubblegum, just to name a few. Heck, PB could just use the guards in her moveset as someone around here said, like Peach and Toad in Smash. With seven characters making a bigger splash than this, why go with the goofballs?

Second, there's the possibility that this was meant to reuse assets. In that case, Mr. Meeseeks could have done this job and gotten a more positive reception at the same time. And doing that could have coincidentally promoted the Rick and Morty anime, even if Meeseeks isn't confirmed to appear in it.

Third, we pretty much only have three newcomers for the relaunch in 11 days, and one of them is Banana Guard. That. Is. Putrid. I get it that they wanted to use a Cartoon Network character and throw a curveball by skipping over Blossom, Bubbles, Buttercup, and Dexter. Heck, I could even understand choosing another 2010s CN rep, especially considering the renaissance of TAWOG. But this is not a character you want to add when you have room in the budget for three newcomers. Five newcomers, I can understand. I can even tolerate four newcomers. But this is a low blow for darn near everyone.

To add the cherry on top of this banana split, pun intended, the trailer actually ends with Banana Guard asking if we really like him, and not in a joke character kind of way. This makes me feel as bad for him as I do for the fans.

In short, I don't hate the idea of adding the Banana Guard in this game. But how he was added to the roster is something I do not like.

If that slot between Jake and Joker is another divisive pick, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

From a few years ago. The devs said they're down for anyone especially given those rumors regarding Eleven from Stranger Things. Also Chip n' Dale (2022) despite being a Disney film had characters from non-Disney properties.
They're open to them. But as of now there isn't a single character who's been leaked or datamined that doesn't have a WB connection. The closest thing was the prototype Eleven model, but leakers have since confirmed that that was a leftover from when they pitched the game to Netflix and they declined.

In other words, I'll consider characters who are completely divorced from the WB when there's any confirmed playable precedent for it. Until then, it's incredibly unlikely.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
But we're talking Tony Soprano being comparable as a joke to the Banana Guard.
For what it's worth, we're on the same page. I was saying it's hard to classify Tony as a joke or a comedic character off tonal dissonance alone because that extends to a lot of the roster already. There is some comedy in having a character who is literally just an Italian guy from real life New Jersey, which is why it's at least an idea that could make people laugh, but factoring in all the mobster stuff and letting him fill that niche gives him plenty to work with and I think he'd slot in nicely. By some metric and juxtaposition every character is a little bit silly.

Banana Guard is the only kind of character who clearly reads as a joke simply because of how irrelevant or unviable they are in the grand scheme or things. Alternatively one of the characters I want the most - Larry David - is also a character from an HBO series taking place in the real world. But it does end up reading as more of a gag pick when considering Larry doesn't really face any serious drama or stakes. It's a similar thing on paper, but one needs to be taking a lot more creative liberties than the other and would just come out very goofy and not all that serious by nature. So maybe you could call him a joke character, but even then he's at least the main character of a popular show.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Second, there's the possibility that this was meant to reuse assets. In that case, Mr. Meeseeks could have done this job and gotten a more positive reception at the same time. And doing that could have coincidentally promoted the Rick and Morty anime, even if Meeseeks isn't confirmed to appear in it.
I really don't see why Mr. Meeseek would have got a better reception. The only thing you could argue Meeseek have for them is maybe more moveset potential? But working harder for a more complex moveset kind of remove the point of the joke character taking less development time.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
They're open to them. But as of now there isn't a single character who's been leaked or datamined that doesn't have a WB connection. The closest thing was the prototype Eleven model, but leakers have since confirmed that that was a leftover from when they pitched the game to Netflix and they declined.

In other words, I'll consider characters who are completely divorced from the WB when there's any confirmed playable precedent for it. Until then, it's incredibly unlikely.
Weird take... but I'd lowkey love to have seen what this game actually would have looked like if Netflix took them up on the offer.

Like, considering Netflix's penchant for supporting exactly two shows (Stranger Things and, uh, Big Mouth?) there might be some roster shenanigans (for instance, I can imagine them including a character from a third-party show they're broadcasting then retroactively removing them when the contract expires or some crap like that) but then there's still tons of potential on that front for this to be "the game that had Spyro, Saul Goodman, Light Yagami and Yasuke" or something.

Hell, with Netflix's gaming division trying to be a thing... would they want you to have a Netflix account to even play the game? Would the game be integrated into Netflix itself?

If this ever did happen btw I'd wholeheartedly support Five (The Umbrella Academy) and Reagan Ridley (Inside Job) though they'd be my big picks

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Weird take... but I'd lowkey love to have seen what this game actually would have looked like if Netflix took them up on the offer.

Like, considering Netflix's penchant for supporting exactly two shows (Stranger Things and, uh, Big Mouth?) there might be some roster shenanigans (for instance, I can imagine them including a character from a third-party show they're broadcasting then retroactively removing them when the contract expires or some crap like that) but then there's still tons of potential on that front for this to be "the game that had Spyro, Saul Goodman, Light Yagami and Yasuke" or something.

Hell, with Netflix's gaming division trying to be a thing... would they want you to have a Netflix account to even play the game? Would the game be integrated into Netflix itself?

If this ever did happen btw I'd wholeheartedly support Five (The Umbrella Academy) and Reagan Ridley (Inside Job) though they'd be my big picks
Yeah I don't really see how this game with Netflix would have work. Netflix don't even own most of the show that aired on it, so I think every character would have been really hard to work with.

Kind of off topic but I wonder if they pitched the concept to other company, like Disney too.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Yeah I don't really see how this game with Netflix would have work. Netflix don't even own most of the show that aired on it, so I think every character would have been really hard to work with.

Kind of off topic but I wonder if they pitched the concept to other company, like Disney too.
Yeah, that's a fair point. Hell, come to think of it - a lot of the stuff they actually do make in-house is adaptations (like the aforementioned The Umbrella Academy), so even those probably have some legal... issues.

If the fact there was something about the S.H.I.E.L.D. Hellicarrier and Hulk as well as a Fix-It Felix Jr. arcade cabinet found in old datamines, probably.
Also, yeah, I vaguely remember hearing about the Hulk datamine. I imagine the game's artstyle probably would have gotten a lot of comparisons to Disney Infinity if that were the case, ahaha

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So...

About the crouching elephant, hidden banana in the room.

It's not that picking the Banana Guard as a new Adventure Time character in MultiVersus is a bad thing. It's the when, where, and how of it that makes troublesome.

First, there's the internal competition of strictly Adventure Time characters. Marceline, Ice King, Fionna the Human, Lemongrab, Lady Rainicorn, BMO, Princess Bubblegum, just to name a few. Heck, PB could just use the guards in her moveset as someone around here said, like Peach and Toad in Smash. With seven characters making a bigger splash than this, why go with the goofballs?

Third, we pretty much only have three newcomers for the relaunch in 11 days, and one of them is Banana Guard. That. Is. Putrid. I get it that they wanted to use a Cartoon Network character and throw a curveball by skipping over Blossom, Bubbles, Buttercup, and Dexter. Heck, I could even understand choosing another 2010s CN rep, especially considering the renaissance of TAWOG. But this is not a character you want to add when you have room in the budget for three newcomers. Five newcomers, I can understand. I can even tolerate four newcomers. But this is a low blow for darn near everyone.

To add the cherry on top of this banana split, pun intended, the trailer actually ends with Banana Guard asking if we really like him, and not in a joke character kind of way. This makes me feel as bad for him as I do for the fans.

In short, I don't hate the idea of adding the Banana Guard in this game. But how he was added to the roster is something I do not like.

If that slot between Jake and Joker is another divisive pick, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
Everyone's now saying that the last launch character is Jason Voorhees himself from Friday the 13th.

Top Bottom