• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is you ideal DLC cycle for the next Smash game?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For me, it would be four seasons of DLC with five characters each season. Half of the DLC characters would be veterans, and the other half would be newcomers.
Season 1Season 2Season 3Season 4
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Veteran​
Newcomer​
Veteran​
Newcomer​

UserKev

Smash Champion
Fun topic.

* Season 1.

• Mewtwo
  • Rayman
  • Scorpion
  • Decidueye

* Season 2.

• Lyn
  • Goemon
  • Dragonborn
  • Prince/Prince of Persia
  • Knuckles

* Season 3

• Dark Samus
  • Bomberman
  • Ezio
  • Hollow Knight
  • Birdo

* Season 4.

• Meowth
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Raji/Raji: An Ancient Epic
  • Doc Louis
  • Sub Zero

Geno Boost

Smash Master
for me i wouldnt cut any veteran in the first place so
Season 1BombermanSukaponBlack ShadowTetrominoGeno
Season 2RaymanIsaacSkull KidMarco/Eri/Tarma/Fio (Metal Slug)Dante
Season 3AgumonGrovyle (PMD)Space InvadersRed (Angry Birds)Crash Bandicoot
Season 4Penguin (Club Penguin)Doom SlayerCATS (Zero Wing)Hatsune MikuScorpion or Sub-zero
Bonus Echo during each PassMs. Pac-man (Season 1) + Pac-mazeBoshi (Season 2) + Rainbow RoadNinten (Season 3) + PyrosphereShadow (Season 4) + Meta Cavern
each season would have a villain and a 3rd party from a new company
also every 3rd party company presented in ultimate with a fighter in ultimate will get a new character so its fair to not cut any 3rd party veteran as some part of deal to keep them
majority of new nintendo content is presented more in base game over DLC

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Probably a weird take, but; I think there's a lot of potential in handling DLC less on an individual basis, and instead doing a neat mix between those and what I'll call "multi-packs". That is - DLC characters who're in some way thematically connected, whether it be just that they're from the same game or series, that they're from similar types of games or have similar vibes, or even just have some other more unusual connection to them.

(Think akin to how there's been combo Amiibo packs in the past, like Alm & Cecila or Samus & E.M.M.I - or akin to some of MVS's Season One marketing that paired up Black Adam and Stripe.) Obviously there'd be a lot of situations where singular "packs" would work way better, and I wouldn't outright get rid of them - but something like a "duo pack" of characters connected like this could be really cool here and there. Then, obviously you should be able to purchase them seperately, too.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Probably a weird take, but; I think there's a lot of potential in handling DLC less on an individual basis, and instead doing a neat mix between those and what I'll call "multi-packs". That is - DLC characters who're in some way thematically connected, whether it be just that they're from the same game or series, that they're from similar types of games or have similar vibes, or even just have some other more unusual connection to them.

(Think akin to how there's been combo Amiibo packs in the past, like Alm & Cecila or Samus & E.M.M.I - or akin to some of MVS's Season One marketing that paired up Black Adam and Stripe.) Obviously, there'd be a lot of situations where singular "packs" would work way better, and I wouldn't outright get rid of them - but something like a "duo pack" of characters connected like this could be really cool here and there. Then, obviously you should be able to purchase them seperately, too.
This is honestly something I've been thinking about too. A lot of it pertaining to who actually does or doesn't make it back, I think there are a few interesting ways of handing "themed" or series packs in regard to pairing new and old content.

As an example, let's say the FF crew do get cut. What if they got brought back as a pair or even as a trio with the addition of Tifa for an FF7 fighters pack as opposed to just being a solo cloud or sephiroth + their respective stages pack.

You could have a pack that's just veterans and maybe even have multiple based on each depending on the number of cuts. If they try to be even handed perhaps a Melee pack that includes :ulticeclimbers::ultmewtwo::ultroy: a Brawl pack with :ultzss::ultwolf::ultlucas:and so on.

I do think this makes more sense to do with first parties if they intend to mix franchises whereas third parties would likely need to be single IP or single company if allowed.

For third parties, I think it'd be neat to do stuff like a full-on KOF team (Kyo, Iori and a returning Terry or someone like Athena if he makes base roster) as a DLC pack but that'd also require licensing a lot more characters than usual so it's probably not likely.

The only other situation where I think this could be done pretty easily is if they actually gave some DLC characters echo fighters. Then you'd just be pairing the main fighter and packaging in their echo as a bonus.

In the unlikely event of Sonic not making it back in base, I think that'd be the perfect opportunity to make a Sonic & Knuckles pack if they choose to do pairs.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

(Think akin to how there's been combo Amiibo packs in the past, like Alm & Cecila or Samus & E.M.M.I - or akin to some of MVS's Season One marketing that paired up Black Adam and Stripe.) Obviously there'd be a lot of situations where singular "packs" would work way better, and I wouldn't outright get rid of them - but something like a "duo pack" of characters connected like this could be really cool here and there. Then, obviously you should be able to purchase them seperately, too.
Yeah, I've been thinking of the idea of thematic combo packs. Maybe something as simple as a "Veteran" and "Newcomer" pack for the first waves, but over time they could branch out into, I dunno, an Elements set, or a Ninja set, or a Pirate set, or something. That'd be neat.

Aside from that I don't think we can really make any guesses towards the DLC schedule, seeing as we don't even know that Smash 6 is a thing yet.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
What a good topic,i'm gonna make my own DLC seasons

Season 1

1. Duck Hunt Duo
2. Rayman
3. Young Link
4. Ayumi Tachibana
5. R.O.B.

Season 2

1. Geno
2. Lucas