• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Piggybacking off of this, Melee Mario is honestly my favorite depiction of Mario not only in Smash, but maybe even ever. He's determined, yes, but still chipper and expressive as always. Compare to Brawl-and-beyond Mario where he's just kind of angry all the time. Not anywhere near as appealing nor true to the character.
I suppose it ties into my bigger issue of people wanting "canon, canon, canon" all the time in Smash while leaving no room for changes that better adapt something to a different environment.

Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting canon references, but if it overtakes the portrayal to the point of not fitting the new environment, it becomes a problem. It's an issue that encompasses even movie adaptations of comic superheroes. There needs to be a balance.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it ties into my bigger issue of people wanting "canon, canon, canon" all the time in Smash while leaving no room for changes that better adapt something to a different environment.

Again, there's nothing wrong with wanting canon references, but if it overtakes the portrayal to the point of not fitting the new environment, it becomes a problem. It's an issue that encompasses even movie adaptations of comic superheroes. There needs to be a balance.
Balance is key here. Mario and co. should be cheerful enough to be themselves, but also be serious enough to fit in with Smash.

I think the newer Mario characters get this right. Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Daisy, Piranha Plant, and even K. Rool all feel cheery enough, but with that bit of seriousness that lets them fit in.

It’s the ones who originated in 64 and Melee that don’t feel quite cheery enough. Specifically Mario, Bowser, and Donkey Kong could do with a brighter attitude, even if only slightly. They fit in too much, in a way.

It’s all about balance.

Quillion

Smash Hero
"Serious enough to fit in Smash"? Why should Smash be serious in the first place?

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
The characters need at least some measure of acting like they're in a martial arts match rather than acting blissfully unaware a lot of the time.

Note: "martial arts match", not "deathmatch". The former leaves room for friendly competitive spirit at least.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I love Brawl.

that game is butt ass fugly
It sticks out in my mind alongside Sonic 4 Ep 1 as one of the "why did I think this looked good?" games.

I'm not a big fan of Melee's art style either, but at least a lot of Nintendo's modern designs revisit its more "restrained" approach to detail with better execution, so I'll give it that.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
It sticks out in my mind alongside Sonic 4 Ep 1 as one of the "why did I think this looked good?" games.

I'm not a big fan of Melee's art style either, but at least a lot of Nintendo's modern designs revisit its more "restrained" approach to detail with better execution, so I'll give it that.
To be fair, back when the first trailer dropped, my friends and I thought it was mind blowing. Especially the stages and Link's design.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
"Serious enough to fit in Smash"? Why should Smash be serious in the first place?

I agree with the rest of your post, though.
I think “serious enough to fit in Smash” is awkward wording but it is a fighting game so I think there’s a certain degree of taking the battle seriously that Smash characters should have, like it’s a competition.

I do think Mario is too angry in Smash but I don’t personally think it would be a good thing tonally if he was smiling in literally all attacks, at least in games after Smash 64. Not saying it’s what you want, it seems like I agree with you on most points, I just think there should be a balance. I do think most of the newer Smash characters fit this principle well though.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think “serious enough to fit in Smash” is awkward wording but it is a fighting game so I think there’s a certain degree of taking the battle seriously that Smash characters should have, like it’s a competition.

I do think Mario is too angry in Smash but I don’t personally think it would be a good thing tonally if he was smiling in literally all attacks, at least in games after Smash 64. Not saying it’s what you want, it seems like I agree with you on most points, I just think there should be a balance. I do think most of the newer Smash characters fit this principle well though.
They really don't. In fact, having some of them seem like that barely even realize they're in a fight is a good thing, not a bad one. It gives variety and quite possibly even humor.
If there's any model for how competitive the characters should act in Smash while retaining their silly selves, it's Mario Strikers Charged.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
If there's any model for how competitive the characters should act in Smash while retaining their silly selves, it's Mario Strikers Charged.

No? Mario Strikers is exaggeratedly 2000s-edgy as its own aesthetic, it is an outlier as opposed to Smash which, as a promotional vehicle, is DESIGNED to meld together aesthetics into something vaguely cohesive as opposed to strictly adhering to one style - also, Mario Strikers is a football game, having characters take it this seriously is just kinda funny and entertaining, like they're hamming it up - if you made the characters act like this in an actual battle as opposed to football, you run the risk of implying, accidentally as it may be, that Smash is an actually dangerous duel and not just a fun sport, something Smash has already come way too close to for comfort in its story modes and marketing, and should be running away from any possible implication of as hard as it can. (keep in mind that one of the fighters in this series is a literal non-anthro dog)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
No? Mario Strikers is exaggeratedly 2000s-edgy as its own aesthetic, it is an outlier as opposed to Smash which, as a promotional vehicle, is DESIGNED to shape people's perceptions of games - also, Mario Strikers is a football game, having characters take it seriously is just kinda funny and entertaining - if you made the characters act like this in an actual battle as opposed to football, you run the risk of implying, accidentally as it may be, that Smash is an actually dangerous duel and not just a fun sport, something Smash has already come way too close to for comfort in its story modes and marketing, and should be running away from as hard as it can. (keep in mind that one of the fighters in this series is a literal non-anthropomorphic dog)
I guess I could settle for Battle League's lighter mood too, but I'm just not a fan of that game.

Also, I get that being edgy to appeal to mid-teens kids isn't a good idea all the time. But it seems you think that sort of aesthetic ONLY appeals to edgy teens, and that's just short-sighted. Would you call Bluey "edgy" because it deals with heavier topics than other preschool shows?

And yes, I know that part of Smash's nature is being a promotional vehicle. But its promotional nature should stay just that: a PART. The series wouldn't have gone as long as it has if it didn't try to establish its own identity on top of being a crossover fighter. It's the reason why the King of Fighters series took a life of its own that outlasted Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting. It's half the reason why PlayStation All-Stars didn't last more than one game (the other half being that it tried too hard to be unique and not hard enough to be fun).

Smash NEEDS to establish its own identity alongside being a promotional tool. It shouldn't just be one or the other, and that goes on the individual character level and the whole game level.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
It's half the reason why PlayStation All-Stars didn't last more than one game
Honestly, most of what you said had barely any relevance to what I was saying (what does Smash trying to appeal to edgy teens have to do with Bluey? There's a pretty big distinction between "Cartoon handles heavy topics in a sensitive way to help kids understand the world" and "Promotional material for dumb Nintendo game tries to appeal to insecure teens with needlessly distressing imagery"), so I'm not gonna bother arguing with that, but... have you played PSASBR? It has a REALLY distinctive aesthetic based on the XMB that is implemented into almost every aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team

Maybe if Smash had a wrestling aesthetic like Battlestadium DON this would fit but without it, it seems like an odd tone for a fighting game that tries to capture a lot about each fighter’s home series

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, most of what you said had barely any relevance to what I was saying (what does Smash trying to appeal to edgy teens have to do with Bluey? There's a pretty big distinction between "Cartoon handles heavy topics in a sensitive way to help kids understand the world" and "Promotional material for dumb Nintendo game tries to appeal to insecure teens with needlessly distressing imagery"), so I'm not gonna bother arguing with that, but... have you played PSASBR? It has a REALLY distinctive aesthetic based on the XMB that is implemented into almost every aspect of the game.
My point is that PSAS has a bit too much of a focus on things that were relevant at the time as opposed to celebrating its whole history. TBF, a lot of that has to do with with how a lot of the more iconic PS1 games weren't third party and how it was with the PS2 that Sony IE got a significant 1st party presence, but still. Maybe the issue is that PSAS jumped the gun on trying to promote things on the console.

Honestly, I just don't get why you have this burning hatred of Nintendo's darker elements. It's the darker elements that allow Nintendo to keep acquiring new adult fans on top of the ever-growing younger demographic they have. It's no different from how Bluey has far more of a genuine adult fanbase than Peppa Pig.

Now, if you're targeting the teen fans who want Nintendo to be edgier, that'd be more accurate.

Maybe if Smash had a wrestling aesthetic like Battlestadium DON this would fit but without it, it seems like an odd tone for a fighting game that tries to capture a lot about each fighter’s home series
The problem is that Smash 4-onwards is overfocused on the source material of the characters as opposed to giving them a good adaptation to a new environment. I'd love to see the series backpedal on the references without losing it altogether.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
They really don't. In fact, having some of them seem like that barely even realize they're in a fight is a good thing, not a bad one. It gives variety and quite possibly even humor.
I do think certain characters like Mario or Donkey Kong should realize they’re in a competition and not just be smiling in literally all their moves (even if Smash goes way too hard in the opposite direction for them) but I am 100% in favor of characters like Kirby or Villager not seeming to realize it and just being completely happy in matches. It just fits them way better IMO.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I do think certain characters like Mario or Donkey Kong should realize they’re in a competition and not just be smiling in literally all their moves (even if Smash goes way too hard in the opposite direction for them) but I am 100% in favor of characters like Kirby or Villager not seeming to realize it and just being completely happy in matches. It just fits them way better IMO.
I guess what I said earlier should at least apply to the Mario characters, since adapting to new environments and situations is their entire deal.

But yeah, it would be weird to apply it to characters like Villager, Kirby, or WFT.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It would be entirely too much work for a single/two player campaign, but I'd love to see the theme in the next Smash Adventure style mode to be fighters going against twisted clones/copies of themselves. You might think that's similar enough to ideas we've seen in previous entries; here's the twist though.

The copies would have Smash movesets largely opposite/contrasting in design philosophy from the well-known versions. An evil Mario filled to the brim with power up moves, a twisted Luigi entirely based around actions with the Poltergust, a savage Donkey Kong throwing differing types of DKC barrels, an agressive Kirby out busting all sorts of copy abilities never seen in Smash and so on.

Basically, use the enemy clone concept as a dumping ground for all the wildest moveset ideas developers and/or fans have had over the years that never got to be utilized by actual Smash characters. These enemies wouldn't have to be balanced or even necessarily that deep, just a very twisted window into what they could have been.

Again, entirely impractical given the design and animation work it would entail, but man it would be glorious.

Last edited:

ScrubReborn

Smash Cadet
The copies would have Smash movesets largely opposite/contrasting in design philosophy from the well-known versions. An evil Mario filled to the brim with power up moves, a twisted Luigi entirely based around actions with the Poltergust, a savage Donkey Kong throwing differing types of DKC barrels, an agressive Kirby out busting all sorts of copy abilities never seen in Smash and so on.
Imagine if this is where we see Canondorf 😭

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
All 5 Tetrominoes should be unique Smash fighters with their own moves. It'd obviously be funny, but additionally, I think that Tetromino having a rigid shape and detaching parts would likely be a bit easier for readability than transforming between all of them - made a bit of a mock-up here: top is a transforming L/J Tetromino's down tilt, while the lower two are the down tilts of solo J/L and solo T, the grey area is a motion streak. Not having to stick to the other shapes provides more room for appropriate squash and stretch so it can look like an attack and not just changing randomly, better range, and just generally more moveset options.
Screenshot 2024-05-25 210824.png

it's also probably the only way to give such a major part of gaming history an apt amount of slots (sorry Assistant fans). I wouldn't mind L/J and S/Z getting two slots each, but I think there's a few logistical problems there that makes it unfeasible.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Of all the 3rd party franchises that could've also gotten the Sephiroth treatment in the DLC, the respective Sonic and Street Fighter series feel like the ones that needed it just as much (even if their presence in the base game isn't nearly as starved for content compared to Final Fantasy).

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
for anyone who wanted Pauline for Smash,i want to say that she don't have a moveset potencial

but i know that Smash put characters who have less potencial for a moveset or appears on less games as the retro reps who is okay,but...on Pauline's case,it's so complicated for make a moveset for her,and i'm not saying of like how could she fight,i'm saying choosing and how could be her special attacks and final smash

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I know the next Smash game is going to have newcomer reveal trailers again, but for the base game at least, I want those reveal trailers to only be for newcomers who are part of the starting roster (DLC fighters notwithstanding).
for anyone who wanted Pauline for Smash,i want to say that she don't have a moveset potencial

but i know that Smash put characters who have less potencial for a moveset or appears on less games as the retro reps who is okay,but...on Pauline's case,it's so complicated for make a moveset for her,and i'm not saying of like how could she fight,i'm saying choosing and how could be her special attacks and final smash
I thought the idea of “no moveset potential” was laid to rest when we got a Piranha Plant as a fighter. Im sure the team could find a way to make Pauline work.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I thought the idea of “no moveset potential” was laid to rest when we got a Piranha Plant as a fighter. Im sure the team could find a way to make Pauline work.
That's... a lot more believable than some. There's a ton of PP species with tons of moves. Of which Plant actually takes from too.

Zelda's a better example of this situation, since she barely used any of her own abilities(or any of her counterparts, like the one from the TV Show, or the CD-i games, or ALTTP, etc.). She was far more made up than Plant ever was. And even with the few Goddess spells and her respective Grab, it's still really loose. Sheik is similar, though her move count is... actually the same for "things she does"(Transform and Vanish are both normal moves for her, whereas Zelda only could do the Grab and Transform). Only difference was that Sheik was easier to imagine due to being a ninja archtype. She didn't need to borrow any items from Link just to make any kind of moveset.

-----------------

That said, I think we also need to keep a lot in mind that it's not simply moveset potential alone. It's "how can we make them interesting but actually feels remotely fun to play as." While some oddballs are in, a lot of their animations(like Wii Fit Trainer) do actually look like moves capable of dealing damage. Villager and Isabelle have a literal Axe they use(though the Bug Net is the one you can actually hit a normal character with in Animal Crossing). That's not saying there's an issue with other oddballs who don't show anything that kind of looks like an attack move either. It's just that they stand out compared to characters like that as well because they do take from more believable attacks.

Something like Phoenix Wright is absolutely awesome as an idea, but he wouldn't really compare to them. His MvC moveset is essentially weird moves that don't resemble being in a fighter. They're not supposed to. They're supposed to be silly and represent the style and craziness of his respective gameplay. They do not look like fighting moves(something that every Smash character does have). That's not saying it's a problem either. I note again that "it just simply means they don't compare that well" and nothing more. He's not one of my favorite options, but certainly would be cool too.

-------------------

As for something else;

Smash 4 is honestly the one CSS that broke logic. It wasn't so bad with the DLC and Clone Trio, but combined with Yoshi being in a completely bad spot(why isn't he after the Mario characters?), it was very clear that it does not actually follow franchise logic. You can somewhat justify Yoshi and the Clone Trio, but then the DLC hit and ignored it entirely. Previous games didn't. Ultimate doesn't use that logic(bar Echoes specifically), and that's fine, but 4 really needed a better CSS overall. Not being able to fix it yourself didn't help.

It does somewhat help that DLC was not originally planned either. It was just Mewtwo at best, as a bonus character. Unlike with Ultimate, where PP was the first planned DLC character(and had a First Pass plus potentially 1 or 2 more characters ideally after that. Pass 2 came later). So they already may have had a decent way to fix up the CSS with that in mind. There's also a question of why Yoshi, from a different franchise, is weirdly in that spot. It's not just cause of "who appeared first in the franchise" either. We already know Bowser Jr. barely made it in, meaning that Yoshi may have been the final one before DK/Wario's franchises. Was Rosalina a later idea, perhaps? Was the CSS already partially started? Or was it just a bad decision to break logic for the sake of it. That said, either way, it's a pretty badly designed CSS. Not following any clear logic really didn't help. And it most definitely can't be called a case of "grouping franchises together" when it split them multiple ways.

Ultimate at least had a reason for the split, with no strange/bad decisions to justify it. It's hard reveal order. No ifs, ands, or buts. Smash 4 meanwhile has some reveal order at times, some franchise at times, last minute additions, Mii Fighter, DLC, and a completely asinine split that we can't possibly figure out why(because it's not actually obvious enough, just easy to make theories on at most). While you can decently justify the DLC not moving into other places on its own, it would've been very easy to just keep the clones next to their counterparts, have Yoshi right before Wario, and call it a day. It would've looked a lot cleaner(that, and the DLC also was its own tab on the 3DS version, so it wasn't really an issue there). ...Also, the fact the Mii Fighters were still at the end in the Wii U version after the DLC fighters further showed how completely disorganized it was. They should've at least been before Mewtwo(which is technically the case for the 3DS version anyway).

Last edited:
Top Bottom