• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wow, this is exciting! Not only did MS thwart rumors of dropping out of the console war, but they double down on 3rd party development, got to announce it first, then today Nintendo proudly shows their IP but branded as a partner showcase so as not to impugn their own plans. This industry is so hype oriented... Twitter popping off about Japan only Mother 3... It's insane. I'm all for it, cause that energy is what got me into speculation in the first place, and now even in the in-between games there's so much happening.

Is this anything like Melee to Brawl's similar time frame speculation wise? I hadn't even joined SWF then :088:
Okay off to dust off my KI brain and break out the 42 hit ultra

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Psyched about the Rare support. Not this content so much (KI aside), but just that this is an auspicious sign not just for many other Nintendo-era titles, but for the rate of them dropping increasing. Though it is kinda wild we have, y'know, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, etc before DK64.

I'm not holding my breath for Conker, though. I just don't think Nintendo wants it on the NSO. My biggest question mark, however, is Perfect Dark, as I wonder if Nintendo would reject an M-rated title, or simply add some kind of age-gating to their service.

As for Japan getting Mother 3... sure. I don't know why they wouldn't. And if we were going to get a localized version, it would probably be saved for a general Direct at this point. I don't think we will, though. Not any time soon, at least.

Wow, this is exciting! Not only did MS thwart rumors of dropping out of the console war, but they double down on 3rd party development, got to announce it first, then today Nintendo proudly shows their IP but branded as a partner showcase so as not to impugn their own plans. This industry is so hype oriented... Twitter popping off about Japan only Mother 3... It's insane. I'm all for it, cause that energy is what got me into speculation in the first place, and now even in the in-between games there's so much happening.

Tbf the rumors weren't that MS was dropping out of the console war, it was that they were staying in despite beginning to put more of their games on competitor platforms. Which doesn't make a ton of sense. The more they dive into this pivot, the less reason people will actually have to pick up an Xbox. Not only will they be able to pick up first-party games not on first-party hardware, but the more that becomes multiplatform, the more people will hesitate to buy what remains exclusive on the chance it too eventually comes to a platform they might actually own, or play more.

Of course right now I believe it's just four games that are planned/announced, and they're lower-profile overall - but more are in consideration. This is just the beginning of whatever this plan is, there's still more that will develop.

Is this anything like Melee to Brawl's similar time frame speculation wise? I hadn't even joined SWF then :088:
I'm not sure what you mean. Melee to Brawl was a somewhat agonizing wait at times. I mean, it was over six years between games. But then was quite different, just in terms of where the industry was. There was no DLC. And there were no Directs at the time, meaning there was really only one big show a year, at E3. Occasionally Nintendo Power had something interesting, or some other conference dropped something exciting, but not often.

And there was only maybe half a year in that timeframe of really weighty, constant updates on the DOJO, from summer 2007 to Japan's launch. Though the game getting delayed also prompted about a two month spell of less exciting updates, with Sonic's reveal to soften the blow. That was a very exciting time, in the second half of 07 and the very beginning of 08, but apart from that, it was definitely a slog.

Before that, there had been one year of the game getting announced before the first trailer, then about a year between the first trailer and the DOJO getting regular updates. In that time there was only one other trailer, which didn't reveal anything new except a stage or two and Fox.

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace
Perhaps not the best time for a new topic since we seem to expecting a new spirit event, but I wanted to ask.

What do you want the next Classic Mode to be like?
Both Ultimate as the specific routes for characters and Smash Wii U's for the random replayability

Relax, it wasn't that spectacular. Microsoft is doing the same thing it's always been doing. A Third-Party acting disguise as First Party and all games announced were games most knew were going to come or via leakers. Mother 3 was never coming WorldWide.

Nothing new has actually happened yet. Just same old, same old

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Perhaps not the best time for a new topic since we seem to expecting a new spirit event, but I wanted to ask.

What do you want the next Classic Mode to be like?

Smash Ultimates was absolutely fantastic, and they should definitely keep the difficulty slider. But I feel like themed classic modes is probably a one and done thing (or risk having it be too samey for returning characters)

At the same time though, removing the random element was probably a smart choice too. It meant you really practice trying to high score it if you wanted.

Which begs the question? How do find that balance of something that feels new and fresh while also retaining what worked before?

More Mini games would help, break the target I think is sorely missed. Even if unique break the targets for each character is too much, going back to Brawl style could work (though perhaps instead of maps based difficulty, they're themed around different franchises)

If a mode allows for enemies to return, perhaps a round dedicated to fight a bunch of them would be fun??

I dunno, I wanna hear what you all have
Honestly, I feel like Ultimate was the WORST time to do the 'route' approach we got. Like, 80+ characters? The variety of Melee and 3DS's Classic Mode would have been perfect for this game. If nothing else, I feel like the 'repetitiveness' of Ultimate's Classic Mode would have been more bearable to me if we at least got MvC3-styled endings for each character.

All of that being said, my ideal Classic Mode would be something like Melee's Classic, with the various bosses at the end + Break the Targets + Board the Platforms (by some miracle) + Race to the Finish.

so we've never had endless ocean in smash right?
Surprisingly, no. Which I find odd, as I would have expected some music/trophies/spirits from those games by now.

All of that being said, I do appreciate Nintendo finding the opportunity to revive yet another of their (until now) dormant IPs.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I'm not holding my breath for Conker, though. I just don't think Nintendo wants it on the NSO. My biggest question mark, however, is Perfect Dark, as I wonder if Nintendo would reject an M-rated title, or simply add some kind of age-gating to their service.
That's what they did in Japan for GoldenEye and Jet Force.

FYI: those two games in particular were retroactively rated by CERO as "Z" and that's why Nintendo had to throw together a seperate, adult only N64 NSO app to get them on the service. So they could do the same for us if or when the likes of Perfect Dark and Conker come along.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
That's what they did in Japan for GoldenEye and Jet Force.

FYI: those two games in particular were retroactively rated by CERO as "Z" and that's why Nintendo had to throw together a seperate, adult only N64 NSO app to get them on the service. So they could do the same for us if or when the likes of Perfect Dark and Conker come along.
Oh yeah, I did hear about this and forgot. Thanks for the reminder. Cool, I guess that helps the chances of those other games.

Strange that JFG is Z, but ok Japan.

It's also funny that there's an "Adults Only" app and it's just old blocky pew-pew games.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Relax, it wasn't that spectacular. Microsoft is doing the same thing it's always been doing. A Third-Party acting disguise as First Party and all games announced were games most knew were going to come or via leakers. Mother 3 was never coming WorldWide.

I really expected Rare to be left behind even after GoldenEye. So yeah I was surprised and happily that KI is on NSO. If they get MK and SF and FF3 (VI) my literal collection from 95 through 97 would be complete! True one can pretty much play anything with some effort but having it on NSO makes NSO more valuable and if anything this year's NSO will be an open highlight for me because it's a "lame duck" term for Nintendo release wise allegedly.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There are all sorts of Rare releases that I'd love to see show up down the road. Diddy Kong Racing is the big one, but even stuff like Super Battletoads (the never ported arcade game) Conker Pocket Tales, Sabre Wulf, & Jetpac Refuelled getting a Switch release would be cool.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
looks at the original Doom

Need to cover those bases for anything...since even anything can be used as a reason.
Exactly... games like Doom and Mortal Kombat and Night Trap existed then. And worse.

But the point of why it's funny is that they aren't there, in that AO app. The point is it's not filled with more "mature" games. It's just Goldeneye and JFG right now. Which are, all things considered, pretty tame. Especially JFG.

You open it up and it's Manhunt and Madworld and GTA, you'd go fair enough. But it's this:

It wouldn't be funny without the subversion of the kind of games you'd expect to be present.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
It’s awesome to finally see RARE games on a Nintendo console again after so many years. Killer Instinct, Battletoads, and GoldenEye are really tempting me to pay for the online service. I’d love to see the more recent games made from RARE’s IP like KI 2013 or Battletoads 2020. My ultimate dream is to see RARE Replay brought over at some point. Even just Perfect Dark might be enough at this point to make the online worth the price.

What was almost more exciting to me than the fact that these games were brought over is that Nintendo seemingly made a pretty big deal about it. The announcement was one of the final two in the direct that they usually save for big reveals. This gives me hope that there’s a chance we could actually get the Battletoads or Fulgore in Smash at some point, maybe even the next game for one of them. While I agree RARE’s games aren’t as generally popular as some of Microsoft’s other IP, the way they’ve been treated on Switch gives me the impression that Nintendo and Microsoft still basically see them as honorary Nintendo titles like I do. I think this gives them a very overlooked point in their favor compared to some other titles. The fact that Banjo supposedly scored number 2 on the ballot doesn’t hurt either. Not saying they’re locks or anything, especially with so much competition like Crash, Doom Slayer, and Master Chief, but I do think it’s possible at this point. Either way, I’ll keep my fingers crossed for more good news from RARE and Nintendo.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'd love to see Banjo Tooie on NSO, but of all the Rare games, Diddy Kong Racing feels like the most important to get on the system.

Aside from the somewhat mediocre DS remake, the game has never been re released, and for good reason.

Diddy Kong is a Nintendo IP. Nothing can be done with the game without Nintendo's express permission.

Similarly. All the characters not named Diddy (and maybe Krunch) are expressly owned by Rare. Nothing can be done with the the game without Rare/Microsoft's express permission.

However, now that Rare games the Rare IPs are showing up on NSO, we have a unique opportunity to finally bring Diddy Kong Racing back to modern hardware for the first time since the original and to me, that would be a very special accomplishment

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'd love to see Banjo Tooie on NSO, but of all the Rare games, Diddy Kong Racing feels like the most important to get on the system.

Aside from the somewhat mediocre DS remake, the game has never been re released, and for good reason.

Diddy Kong is a Nintendo IP. Nothing can be done with the game without Nintendo's express permission.

Similarly. All the characters not named Diddy (and maybe Krunch) are expressly owned by Rare. Nothing can be done with the the game without Rare/Microsoft's express permission.

However, now that Rare games the Rare IPs are showing up on NSO, we have a unique opportunity to finally bring Diddy Kong Racing back to modern hardware for the first time since the original and to me, that would be a very special accomplishment
Actually, Krunch is an exception: when the game was reworked into a DK spinoff, they changed from a normal crocodile into a Kremling. Since Nintendo owns any and all things Kremling-related, that means Krunch is the only DKR OC to be owned by Nintendo.

dream1ng

Smash Lord

Yeah if you started the record books in like... 2019. Microsoft has not "always been doing" this. Nintendo didn't even get Minecraft until 2015, and that was Minecraft, and already on everything else.

For years the extent of MS support was letting Nintendo release the DKC trilogy on the VC. And even that didn't always go smoothly.

Just because we're not getting Halo and Gears (yet) doesn't mean this isn't still night and day from everything before the Switch era. It's still somewhat surreal for most people who were present for all those post-sale years, for the 360 and early XB1 years when this never would've happened, and recognize just how rare (heh) something like this actually is between competitors.

Also because this is the first physical realization of a significant shift for MS. This isn't some "here you can have this indie we licensed / here you can have a 25 year old game you used to own". As much as a change even that was, this is the beginning of MS decentralizing their library. Albeit gradually.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
everyone out here making a fuss about Rare but ngl Endless Ocean looks pretty neat

kinda makes you wonder if something like this could've been used as a "tech demo" release of sorts for Switch 2, though it's presumably not internally developed

--

so we've never had endless ocean in smash right?
a couple of Spirits, say of the white whale and the player scuba diver, would've been nice

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
That first game they showed off in the direct by Microsoft, i cant remember the name but it's concept grabed me immediately. Ive always been a fan of games like Pikmin and Chibi Robo where you play as a tiny object exploring normal sized environments, i always found those games really cool.

I might pick up that new Fantasy life game, being a Level 5 fan and all it would be kinda weird if i didnt give their new game a shot now that their back to bringing games in english

And Endless Ocean getting a new game? I'm interested, i never got to actually play this series back on the Wii but as a kid i always watched videos about it because i wanted to play them, so i guess i should actually buy this new one when it drops.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe we can get some new Rare games on the Switch 2, even if they are made by other companies and not Rare themselves, which has happened lately. I would love to see a new Banjo-Kazooie game on the Switch 2.
That would be awesome. Maybe that new Perfect Dark game that supposedly started development a few years ago can be released on the Switch successor at some point. There were rumors of a new Killer Instinct as well that would be awesome to see. As for existing games, I agree that it would be really cool to see Diddy Kong Racing again. That was one of my favorite N64 games and was even better than Mario Kart 64 in many ways which was another of my favorites on the console.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What was almost more exciting to me than the fact that these games were brought over is that Nintendo seemingly made a pretty big deal about it. The announcement was one of the final two in the direct that they usually save for big reveals. This gives me hope that there’s a chance we could actually get the Battletoads or Fulgore in Smash at some point, maybe even the next game for one of them.
Even if they're not playable, I think there's a lot of room to represent more Rare content. Let Banjo be a vessel for Rare the same way Terry is for SNK... well, it's obviously a little different, but I think you could easily justify bringing in some music from other games (music from Diddy Kong Racing, Conker or even Blast Corps would fit right in on a Banjo stage) and maybe even an AT nod to a different property. Hell, we almost got Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps spirits if my memory serves me right. I hope they take more advantage of this moving forward, it would just be a cool thing to see.

If nothing else, this reveal should give some people peace of mind about Banjo's odds of returning. It would obviously be foolish of me to act as if anything is guaranteed, but if the last few NSO contributions from Rare didn't convince everyone already this should make it clear that both Nintendo and Microsoft are serious about bringing Nintendo's estranged family back home. If this relationship continues, which I can't imagine it will stop any time soon, then there's little reason to believe he's not here to stay.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Even if they're not playable, I think there's a lot of room to represent more Rare content. Let Banjo be a vessel for Rare the same way Terry is for SNK... well, it's obviously a little different, but I think you could easily justify bringing in some music from other games (music from Diddy Kong Racing, Conker or even Blast Corps would fit right in on a Banjo stage) and maybe even an AT nod to a different property. Hell, we almost got Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps spirits if my memory serves me right. I hope they take more advantage of this moving forward, it would just be a cool thing to see.

If nothing else, this reveal should give some people peace of mind about Banjo's odds of returning. It would obviously be foolish of me to act as if anything is guaranteed, but if the last few NSO contributions from Rare didn't convince everyone already this should make it clear that both Nintendo and Microsoft are serious about bringing Nintendo's estranged family back home. If this relationship continues, which I can't imagine it won't, then there's little reason to believe he's not here to stay.
I won’t lie, hearing songs like this on Spiral Mountain would be pretty hilarious. I’d rather have a character but I’ll take what I can get.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I want Diddy kong racing stuff in smash.
I'd go with one of the tracks from Future Fun Land as a stage, or Ancient Lake.

That would be awesome. Maybe that new Perfect Dark game that supposedly started development a few years ago can be released on the Switch successor at some point. There were rumors of a new Killer Instinct as well that would be awesome to see. As for existing games, I agree that it would be really cool to see Diddy Kong Racing again. That was one of my favorite N64 games and was even better than Mario Kart 64 in many ways which was another of my favorites on the console.
Oh yeah! I loved Diddy Kong Racing! I would really love to see something like that done!

And while this is a far-fetched dream, I would like to see a collaboration to bring back Donkey Kong Racing, the sequel to Diddy Kong Racing that was cancelled.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
everyone out here making a fuss about Rare but ngl Endless Ocean looks pretty neat

kinda makes you wonder if something like this could've been used as a "tech demo" release of sorts for Switch 2, though it's presumably not internally developed

--

a couple of Spirits, say of the white whale and the player scuba diver, would've been nice
Honestly, I've always looked at E.O. as the 'scuba-diving sim answer' to the high-flying pilot sim that is Pilotwings. It would be neat to see E.O. serve as something of 'a glorified tech demo major release' for Nintendo's water graphics, the same way Pilotwings showcases land and air graphics.

As for Spirits, I would have been if they at least gave us Oceana Louvier as the sole E.O. Spirit.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

If nothing else, this reveal should give some people peace of mind about Banjo's odds of returning. It would obviously be foolish of me to act as if anything is guaranteed, but if the last few NSO contributions from Rare didn't convince everyone already this should make it clear that both Nintendo and Microsoft are serious about bringing Nintendo's estranged family back home. If this relationship continues, which I can't imagine it will stop any time soon, then there's little reason to believe he's not here to stay.
Tinfoil hat time: for the final Spirit Event, they finally add the JFG and Blast Corps. Spirits.

And Devil's Third, I think that was another one.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
another thought on this: does Nintendo wholly own the IP? what I can find is that they previously filed a trademark for it, and have been the publisher for all three games.
Ngl, I've been asking around about that myself and I still haven't gotten an answer on it.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure E.O. is in a similar situation to that of Fatal Frame where they partially own the IP, but even with that being the case, having E.O. featured in a Partner Showcase is a bit odd, given that F.F. has appeared in some normal Directs in the past.

If I may say so (and someone feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong), I'm pretty sure Nintendo has more "ownership involvement" with E.O. than F.F.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Ngl, I've been asking around about that myself and I still haven't gotten an answer on it.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure E.O. is in a similar situation to that of Fatal Frame where they partially own the IP, but even with that being the case, having E.O. featured in a Partner Showcase is a bit odd, given that F.F. has appeared in some normal Directs in the past.

If I may say so (and someone feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong), I'm pretty sure Nintendo has more "ownership involvement" with E.O. than F.F.
fwiw I think it's fairly clear that them being the publisher and the game being Switch-exclusive were part of why this was the closer for the Direct (that and it being an actually new game rather than a port)

in any case there are no real rules about what they're allowed to put in a Partner Showcase. in this case it's an externally developed game (again, presumably), so maybe that and the timing being right were enough.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So I decided to make a second prediction for the last spirit event aside from Sonic Frontiers. Rare aka Rareware games. There were unused spirits from Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps in the files. So why not add them as well as new ones like Fulgore from Killer Instinct, The Battletoads, and a render of Conker in Diddy Kong Racing.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It’s awesome to finally see RARE games on a Nintendo console again after so many years. Killer Instinct, Battletoads, and GoldenEye are really tempting me to pay for the online service. I’d love to see the more recent games made from RARE’s IP like KI 2013 or Battletoads 2020. My ultimate dream is to see RARE Replay brought over at some point. Even just Perfect Dark might be enough at this point to make the online worth the price.
Rare Replay would be nightmare to port with all the different engine, emulation, etc. That's why it hasn't been ported.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
Somehow I totally missed Perfect Dark back in the day, that's easily the Rare game I'd like to see the most on NSO.
Getting to replay Diddy Kong Racing would also be fantastic. Both it and F-Zero have always been superior to Mario Kart in my opinion.
Banjo-Tooie and DK64 are easily the most important games still missing though, but I've played both a ton of times so I don't personally feel the need for those two as much. Would be nice to get them though...
Conker is a lost cause.
Blast Corps is also new to me anyways! I'm definitely giving it a try.

I'm not holding my breath for anything past DK64, though. I doubt they'd eventually put the entire Rare catalogue on the service, and there's always the GBA to beef up the NSO offer. Plus weren't Banjo-Kazooie, Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini rumored/datamined for Wii U as well?

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Somehow I totally missed Perfect Dark back in the day, that's easily the Rare game I'd like to see the most on NSO.
Getting to replay Diddy Kong Racing would also be fantastic. Both it and F-Zero have always been superior to Mario Kart in my opinion.
Banjo-Tooie and DK64 are easily the most important games still missing though, but I've played both a ton of times so I don't personally feel the need for those two as much. Would be nice to get them though...
Conker is a lost cause.
Blast Corps is also new to me anyways! I'm definitely giving it a try.

I'm not holding my breath for anything past DK64, though. I doubt they'd eventually put the entire Rare catalogue on the service, and there's always the GBA to beef up the NSO offer. Plus weren't Banjo-Kazooie, Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini rumored/datamined for Wii U as well?
Banjo and Blast Corps, yes. Jet Force, no.

Honestly I don't see why they wouldn't put, at the very least, the rest of Rare's N64 games on NSO, they already have a good chunk of them with BK1, Jet Force, Blast Corps and even GoldenEye. It's be especially pretty weird and dumb not to see Tooie and KI Gold considering their predecessors are already there. The only kinda sorta questionable ones are like, Conker and Mickey's Speedway, and as mentioned before there already exists a decent workaround for the former and for the latter...honestly, if they're willing to get stupid **** like Quest for Camelot, I wouldn't 100% rule out Mickey.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
That first game they showed off in the direct by Microsoft, i cant remember the name but it's concept grabed me immediately. Ive always been a fan of games like Pikmin and Chibi Robo where you play as a tiny object exploring normal sized environments, i always found those games really cool.
it was called grounded

Top Bottom