• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
here's a question for you: is there anything in smash you wanted renamed? in ultimate several stages and music tracks were renamed to be more accurate or to prevent names doubling up too much. but not everything has an appropriate name. so anything you want fixed?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
here's a question for you: is there anything in smash you wanted renamed? in ultimate several stages and music tracks were renamed to be more accurate or to prevent names doubling up too much. but not everything has an appropriate name. so anything you want fixed?
Yoshi's Island (Melee) to Dinosaur Land [It's now labelled as part of the Mario series]
Mushroom Kingdom II to Subcon

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not sure of the other words to make it work, but Temple being renamed to Palace in some way would make it more clear how much it's meant to be based around Zelda II, not any other game specifically.

Can't think of much else(not counting ones mentioned, though I don't mind one being a Yoshi stage either, but the name isn't the best as well), since a lot are labeled really well and logically.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As RileyXY1 RileyXY1 said Mushroom Kingdom II should be renamed to its more appropriate title. Otherwise it’s really bothered me that Yoshi’s Island (Melee) is the only stage that shares a name with another. Wish they would’ve just renamed it Super Mario World or something.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
As RileyXY1 RileyXY1 said Mushroom Kingdom II should be renamed to its more appropriate title. Otherwise it’s really bothered me that Yoshi’s Island (Melee) is the only stage that shares a name with another. Wish they would’ve just renamed it Super Mario World or something.
Mushroom Kingdom II should absolutely be renamed to Subcon, due to it being based on the American Super Mario Bros. 2, which doesn't even take place in the Mushroom Kingdom itself.
Do keep in mind that in the JP versions of these games, the Mushroom Kingdom stages are called "Ancient Kingdom", with Mushroomy Kingdom's name being something along the lines of "Ancient-ish Kingdom", a gag that obviously didn't translate very well into the English version.

Fun fact: Mushroom Kingdom U is actually called "Mario U World" over there.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
They typically announce directs about 24 hours before, so I'm left curious if indeed this was supposed to come last week and the Xbox announcements/podcast did indeed cause them to push this ahead.

Still though Partner Directs have come a long way since the infamous underwhelming ones from July & August 2020 so fingers crossed we get some decent announcements. Pac Man World 2 Re-Pac would be a very nice surprise.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Weird, weren't all the previous partner showcases called minis? I wonder if it's just a length thing or if there's going to be some major announcements here.

Either way, I'm fully expecting SMT here. And this time hopefully people won't be annoying about it...

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wow so their lense is definitely more focused than ours...25 minutes for 6 months? That's great! Though that means the expectation is going to be Spring of 2025 which is fine also but I don't expect too many more Switch sales, it IS another year of NSO, Software, DLCs, sleepers or late comers etc.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Way too early to really know if a June Direct is happening or what it might include, but if its not's another Partner Showcase, I could see the next four months involve Nintendo potentially internally shifting releases around here and there to make the latter half of 2024 have some significance. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and the remastered version of Thousand Year Door feel like summer releases so fall and early winter might have the be the time for a blitz of other first party ports and modest spin-offs. A Pokémon remake will definitely help for holiday 2024, but a Switch 2 being delayed to 2025 would seemingly necessitate at least some other notable titles late in the year even they're necessarily new AAA stuff.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
An Nintendo Direct is happening, guys!

Partners Showcase!
There will be no Silksong news at the Partner Showcase
Smash 6? Now that's a different story

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeeeeah, I’m pretty convinced we’re getting an announcement of the Switch successor sometime soon. I was anticipating March but April-June is a really safe bet. Whether it comes out Holiday or Q1 2025 is another story but either way the timeline works.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Way too early to really know if a June Direct is happening or what it might include, but if its not's another Partner Showcase, I could see the next four months involve Nintendo potentially internally shifting releases around here and there to make the latter half of 2024 have some significance. Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and the remastered version of Thousand Year Door feel like summer releases so fall and early winter might have the be the time for a blitz of other first party ports and modest spin-offs. A Pokémon remake will definitely help for holiday 2024, but a Switch 2 being delayed to 2025 would seemingly necessitate at least some other notable titles late in the year even they're necessarily new AAA stuff.
I don't think that the next Pokémon game will be a remake.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Truth be told I haven't been following the production schedule/speculation about whether the next Pokémon title is a remake, something Gen 9 related or another Legends release. I just figured knowing Game Freak and TPC, a big one coming this holiday is likely.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Ivander

Smash Legend
Completely minor change:

Rename "Coliseum" to "Arena". That's not what they're called and the fact that they chose a synonym over a pretty regular mechanic (or used to be pretty regular) is kinda weird.
Here we have "Arena Ferox!" Then over here we have "Arena!".....Hmm?...What's the difference between them?....Well, one is an Arena in Regna Ferox from Fire Emblem Awakening. The other is an Arena.....somewhere else. Where? We don't know. Just that it's certainly not in Ferox.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Honestly they've planted so many nods to Unova that the first instinct any long time Pokemon fan would have is that the next game is a revisit to the region.

It happened with most of the previous remakes to my recollection, then again Game freak could be aware of that and want to do something different, pulling the rug from under us.

superprincess

Smash Journeyman
Completely minor change:

Rename "Coliseum" to "Arena". That's not what they're called and the fact that they chose a synonym over a pretty regular mechanic (or used to be pretty regular) is kinda weird.
Arena Ferox is already a thing and is basically the same stage but with edges instead of walk offs.

As for other renaming suggestions, I'd revert Rainbow Cruise to Rainbow Ride as someone else already mentioned, because that's the name in English translations. I'll also parrot the Yoshi's Island (Melee) suggestion; it should be renamed to Dinosaur Land and rebranded as a Mario stage. There's a bit of an argument to be made about whether SMW2:YI is a Mario or Yoshi game, but SMW the original? Definitely a Mario game, I have no idea why Smash considers its stage as hailing from the Yoshi series.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I have no idea why Smash considers its stage as hailing from the Yoshi series.
"It's YOSHI's Island, therefore a Yoshi stage"

Also Smash: "This remix made for that stage is a Super MARIO World Medley, therefore it can only play on stages branded as Mario ones. Which the stage it was meant for is not."

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
An Nintendo Direct is happening, guys!

Partners Showcase!
So based on leaks, we might be able to expect the following:

• Something from Game Freak
  • Something published by Nintendo (the general consensus seems to be Endless Ocean)
  • That new Contra game

At least, that's what Pyoro was saying...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
At the time, they wanted more Yoshi stages, so gave that one an odd franchise change. The stages were organized that way on the Select Screen. It's really a Melee thing.

The franchises in said image have it so they're grouped together in many cases with having two stages of each franchise, from top to bottom. As Super Mario already had two stages in Starter, Yoshi got two as well. Then you have the odd Mushroom Kingdom stages later on, being the only franchise to get more than two new stages respectively. Past stages and the 1 Player ones are separated too.

It probably won't happen, though. We only saw Franchise changes when it came to Character-related stuff. Giga Bowser as a Final Smash became a Super Mario character(justified, as this time it's a Super Mario character you're playing as becoming one. Not an NPC transforming). As a Boss even in Ultimate, he keeps the Smash Symbol. This is also because Sakurai treats them as separate characters. Another example is Wario changing to the WarioWare symbol once becoming playable, as his Trophy was from Super Mario.

Beyond that, Yoshi was always treated weirdly. Even characters originating from it like Kamek can fall under the Super Mario label as a Trophy/Spirit/Sticker and is rather inconsistent. Though in Kamek's case, his stage cameo was at least from a Super Mario-specific game. This doesn't apply in every single case, but it makes sense in some. Some of the franchise labeling can get odd either way. It would've been better if the particular new Yoshi stage was from the Super Mario World 2, though, agreed.

At least the Mushroom Kingdom thing is more of a case of weird labeling than anything else. It's one of many dub name changes that is misleading.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Arena Ferox is already a thing and is basically the same stage but with edges instead of walk offs.
We have two different Pokémon Leagues based on different regions. We have Pokémon Stadium and Pokémon Stadium 2. We have Green Hill Zone and Windy Hill Zone. Most damningly of all, we have Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Kingdom II, Mushroomy Kingdom, and Mushroom Kingdom U all in the same game.

Renaming the Arena to Coliseum just to avoid having Arena and Arena Ferox genuinely makes no sense.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I think it's called "Coliseum" simply because it's a more stylish name than "Arena." And since the stage is sourced from a generic rather than specific location, having the most accurate name didn't matter as much.
Given that when the two stages were introduced we had one 3DS-exclusive and one Wii-U-exclusive, I don't think a repeated name would've been an issue. But they got named separately to begin with and then there was apparently not a motivation to change it in Ult.
I don't mind the Coliseum stage but I would like more FE stages referencing specific locales rather than generic fantasy settings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom