• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Louie G.

Smash Hero
My issues with FLUDD are purely functional. Like, Cape is "outdated" too, that powerup has literally never returned since Super Mario World. I just don't really think FLUDD adds anything valuable to Mario's kit, and doesn't feel like a more very characteristic of him. It just happens that on top of that, it's a very specific reference to an unorthodox Mario game so it feels more expendable as a result.

If anything Super Jump Punch is strange because it's... Just an uppercut.
At a certain point I accepted that Mario's specials were probably deliberately chosen for him to mirror the shoto layout in Smash 64, lol. We could discuss whether or not that feels outdated nowadays, but I never questioned Mario having an uppercut too much since it does pay homage to his most famous pose.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Sure would be strange if Mario could throw fireballs in Smash without first acquiring a Fire Flower.

Look man, I don't understand how it's so difficult suspend your disbelief for Mario throwing his hat and it magically coming back to him when we are talking about a character that happens to be a pyrokinetic italian plumber that can leap 5 feet into the air and throw monsters five times his size by the tail.
I am pretty sure that is a different story. I think Mario learned how to do the fireballs without the Fire Flower.

Honestly, I do not know why you seem so into wanting Mario use his hat in Smash or something like that that makes you want to argue. I mean, I am not against it, at all, I was just comparing it to FLUDD, especially the Cappy and possession mechanic, as fun as that may be in Odyssey. No need to take this to the next level of intensity, alright?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I am pretty sure that is a different story. I think Mario learned how to do the fireballs without the Fire Flower.

Honestly, I do not know why you seem so into wanting Mario use his hat in Smash or something like that that makes you want to argue. I mean, I am not against it, at all, I was just comparing it to FLUDD, especially the Cappy and possession mechanic, as fun as that may be in Odyssey. No need to take this to the next level of intensity, alright?
For the record, I think the Cap Throw should only be used as a mobility tool (and mayyybe projectile) to compliment Mario's kit and make him a more expressive character when it comes to movement. Capture should not be present. This entire time, I didn't have Capture in mind when advocating for Cap Throw as a move.

But.. that's fine, agree to disagree. Not sure if i was coming off as intense, but my apologies if I was.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For the record, I think the Cap Throw should only be used as a mobility tool (and mayyybe projectile) to compliment Mario's kit and make him a more expressive character when it comes to movement. Capture should not be present. This entire time, I didn't have Capture in mind when advocating for Cap Throw as a move.

But.. that's fine, agree to disagree. Not sure if i was coming off as intense, but my apologies if I was.
I should apologize as well, as I did not mean to make any harm happen.

That said, while I am skeptical about Cappy in particular, I am not against Cappy or a hat move in Smash. In FACT, I would love the hat hop thing you mentioned just now. A projectile move would not be bad for the hat, either.

Still, sorry. I guess I became worked up in comparing Cappy to FLUDD, needlessly, and thinking why he wouldn't be the best move for Mario in the way Peach's Showtime moves possibly (by which I mean maybe) could not. My bad.

Laniv

Smash Champion
We could always replace Toad with Stella in Peach's moveset and Prince Florian in Daisy's moveset (since Wonder was Daisy's first playable main series appearance, so it fits). Gets representation for two games and adds a playable character sorely lacking in the roster, absolutely perfect.
I feel like a Poplin would work better, cause both they and Daisy are flower-themed

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I should apologize as well, as I did not mean to make any harm happen.

That said, while I am skeptical about Cappy in particular, I am not against Cappy or a hat move in Smash. In FACT, I would love the hat hop thing you mentioned just now. A projectile move would not be bad for the hat, either.

Still, sorry. I guess I became worked up in comparing Cappy to FLUDD, needlessly, and thinking why he wouldn't be the best move for Mario in the way Peach's Showtime moves possibly (by which I mean maybe) could not. My bad.
Ah, you're fine. Don't worry about it my dude. If anything, this made for an in-depth conversation at least, lol

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Ah, you're fine. Don't worry about it my dude. If anything, this made for an in-depth conversation at least, lol
Of course! Thanks, though!

Now, on topic, I am not the one who is craziest about Toad getting into Smash as a playable, but after some favorites of mine got into the last Smash Bros. game as playables, I am all for Toad being playable in Smash!

That said, I should probably admit Toad should have been in Smash long ago as a playable, rather than as a B move. I wonder if Sakurai is willing to make him not Peach's (And Daisy's) B move and make him playable?

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
My stance on a playable Toad is that he can totally be in the game and fight a Peach that still uses Toad as a move, because Robin can summon Chrom to beat up Chrom. Plus, Toads are a species anyway. There's multiple of them, even in canon.

Toad as a move isn't a favorite of mine or anything, so if it were to be replaced, I would not mind at all.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My stance on a playable Toad is that he can totally be in the game and fight a Peach that still uses Toad as a move, because Robin can summon Chrom to beat up Chrom. Plus, Toads are a species anyway. There's multiple of them, even in canon.

Toad as a move isn't a favorite of mine or anything, so if it were to be replaced, I would not mind at all.
Hopefully, it is the main, red spotted Toad that is playable while another red spotted Toad or whatever is Peach's shield.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
In respect to Daisy changes, I always thought Toad could be replaced with an enemy type. Someone from Super Mario Land ideally, but I remember the idea for Daisy to use a Snifit a while back and I quite like that one. Prioritizing offense over defense, that should be Daisy's general gameplan to differentiate from Peach. Faster ground and fall speed, more power at the expense of Peach's definitive recovery and offstage option in Float.

I don't really need or want Daisy to be made wholly original. I think it's good to have alternate takes on certain movesets, which is why Daisy should actually start to feel like an alternate take on Peach and not simply a reskin. With her recent prominence in Wonder and being front and center at the Nintendo parks, I believe Daisy will stick around and hopefully be one of the higher billings to get notable adjustments and more characteristic attacks. She definitely has the potential to be the Falco to Peach's Fox, looking at maybe something a bit beneath than that jump from Melee to Brawl.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
In respect to Daisy changes, I always thought Toad could be replaced with an enemy type. Someone from Super Mario Land ideally, but I remember the idea for Daisy to use a Snifit a while back and I quite like that one. Prioritizing offense over defense, that should be Daisy's general gameplan to differentiate from Peach. Faster ground and fall speed, more power at the expense of Peach's definitive recovery and offstage option in Float.

I don't really need or want Daisy to be made wholly original. I think it's good to have alternate takes on certain movesets, which is why Daisy should actually start to feel like an alternate take on Peach and not simply a reskin. With her recent prominence in Wonder and being front and center at the Nintendo parks, I believe Daisy will stick around and hopefully be one of the higher billings to get notable adjustments and more characteristic attacks. She definitely has the potential to be the Falco to Peach's Fox, looking at maybe something a bit beneath than that jump from Melee to Brawl.
Snifit could work. I also like the idea of Crayzee Dayzees filling in for the "assistant" character, if Daisy absolutely had to have one.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
I think the million dollar question with Advance Wars is if any future developments in the series are coming out in Japan, because if they're not, I think it's safe to say we're not seeing it
I have this dumb idea since whatever, but i really think the game will be localized in Japan as "Mario Tactics", as some sort of tribute of disguising games with other franchises in other countries back in the day. And maybe adding the original game as DLC.

And also I wanna see a Mario Warriors that is actually Buddy Mission Bond but with Mario characters and a poorly-implemented Musou gameplay. I like to see more jank **** from Nintendo.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I think the million dollar question with Advance Wars is if any future developments in the series are coming out in Japan, because if they're not, I think it's safe to say we're not seeing it
At the least, I could see Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes happening. But yeah, if Advance Wars is stuck outside of Japan, I can't see a playable character happening, even if Nintendo were to acknowledge it's popularity outside of Japan.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It'd be more of a cosmetic change compared to most of what's being discussed here, but I was honestly always surprised they never replaced Peach's generic Parasol with Perry from Super Princess Peach at some point.

It's possible (and unfortunately likely) that it's an idea they never even really considered since Perry only ever made one major appearance, and that happened to be in a spin-off game that never got a true sequel (Showtime seems to be more of it's own thing). Even Luigi's only gradually been given a very small handful of moves incorporating the Poltergust over the last few games, and one of them is his Final Smash.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah on its own I don't have an issue with FLUDD being an older one-off reference, nor do I have an issue with Sunshine itself. It's just that it seems like a pretty random, arbitrary choice of such a move when Mario's kit isn't really built around those. I'm not going to be outraged if it comes back, but if it were up to me I'd put something else in there.

Mario is a unique character in that the diversity of the games he appears in and things he does in those games is so great that you can't really build his moveset like you would another character's. In a sense you could say he transcends the sum of his individual appearances, so you have to think about him more in terms of character essence than any specific abilities.

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Do I dare repost this again with the added risk of looking silly on Smashboards.com?
Didnt the pattern used to go "spirit event, tournament, some third thing that I don't remember" for the dlc period? I'd wait until next week to see if they give us a non-rerun spirit event.

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
FLUDD and the Cape are actually both pretty effective edgeguarding tools.

Well, against some characters, at least.
They are. I just don't think that FLUDD compliments anything else in Mario's kit, apart from Cape, which in my opinion is the superior edge-guarding tool (and more disorienting, too). It feels like you're only using one or the other most of the time, having both feels a little redundant.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Didnt the pattern used to go "spirit event, tournament, some third thing that I don't remember" for the dlc period? I'd wait until next week to see if they give us a non-rerun spirit event.
If I remember correctly it alternated between Spirits and Tournaments for the most part, occasionally we would get 2 in a row.

But since this situation with the new Spirits is already weird, who even knows at this point.

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
FLUDD kinda sets up for a f-air dunk sometimes.

I like it, but it's probably just because I love Sunshine.
Hate playing against it though, that thing can do some incredibly dirty stuff.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
FLUDD is also kind of awkward to use for beginners, which is kind of weird for a character like Mario who was made with beginners in mind.
Actually, Mario in general is kinda weird now. He was originally pinned as a jack of all trades, but we have so many characters with weapons and long limbs, and too many characters with good recoveries. Now Mario by comparison feels like he has worse reach and recovery than a lot of the cast.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
The pattern for repeating is Tourney then Spirit then Tourney then Spirit and so on.

The only break has been the "Ultimate is 5 years old" event superseding a Tourney event (ironically enough the Tourney where people use Spirits).
Both other times, the new Spirit event we just had and the Street Fighter Anniversary event from years ago, took the place of a Spirit event rerun.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

Check this out, everyone! New spirit event is coming!

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace

HADES?? IN MY SMASH BROTHERS??

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero

What the **** is an eBaseball
(I have heard of power pros before)

Also holy **** that 13 Sentinels spirit is hilarious

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
No way they've got 13 sentinels before SMT (I'm not complaining though 13 sentinels is very good and I'm happy to see vanillaware representation in smash)

Ivander

Smash Legend
Madlad Sakurai managed to get 13 Sentinels content in. Like it's no joke that Sakurai actually really liked 13 Sentinels, so it's really something that he managed to get a Spirit for it in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Holy crap on a cracker, Galeem left NO stone unturned, didn't he?!🤣

You know, people always talk about Smash Bros. lore, but we never discuss exactly how far Galeem's "Thanos-ing" of the gaming multiverse spread!🥴

Top Bottom