• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The first batch of new spirits have been revealed:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

I think this is the first of the four spirit events, although it may be that these are all four, google translate isn't 100% clear.

If this is all four then that makes sense, if this is one big event I'm very confused about what the other three could be...

Edit: :ultgreninja:d

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I expected them to do something special for the franchise's 25th anniversary this year, but oh well.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

Now in English - looks like it is just one of the four events, which is nice. I have no clue what the rest could be now though...

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I don't have a definitive list, but I can imagine there might be just enough Switch games released since Smash stopped doing regular spirit events (including ones to come soon?) to fill up these big four occasions.

And even if there aren't there's always anniversary style spirits to top things off.

Last edited:

BuckleyTim

Smash Apprentice
Well, there it is. Is it four spirit events related to each of the four games shown or is this one event with the four games represented at once?

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Now in English - looks like it is just one of the four events, which is nice. I have no clue what the rest could be now though...
The next one is probably Mario Wonder, Fire Emblem Engage, Pokemon Scarlet/Violet and Kirby and the Forgotten Land

Although that still leaves 2 events which could either be completely different or going into games like Nintendo Switch Sports and maybe even Third Parties for things like Bayonetta 3.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
If they do one event a month, I could potential spirit stuff tying into Mario vs. DK and Princess Peach Showtime. Mario RPG popping up as part of one wouldn't be a surprise either.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I was expecting that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 would have its own spirit event, so that was a bit of a surprise. (I'm still expecting that Fire Emblem Engage will get its own spirit event)

SPEN18

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say it's likely since it's a massive undertaking with a roster as big as the next game's likely to have, BUT an expansive Subspace-style story mode would be one way to ease some of the outcry over a swath of cuts. Having a big new mode like that would be easy to market around. That is, IF it could be pulled off, which I wouldn't outright expect.
Regardless, I think more interactions between the characters who do make it in and some new meaty singleplayer content could both be angled into part of the excuse for a smaller roster, with the right marketing strategy. Not that they need an excuse, since the public statements on Ult made it clear that EiH shouldn't be expected as more than a one-time thing.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
List of major games that aren't (yet) part of this new batch of spirits:

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Pokemon Legends: Arceus
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Nintendo Switch Sports
Bayonetta 3
Fire Emblem Engage
Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp
F-ZERO 99
Sonic Superstars
WarioWare: Move It!
Super Mario RPG
Princess Peach: Showtime!

And here's a list of games that might be lower priority for getting spirits:

Metroid Prime Remastered
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe (might still get spirits based on Magolor Epilogue)
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
Detective Pikachu Returns

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
Nintendo Switch Sports
Bayonetta 3
Fire Emblem Engage
F-ZERO 99
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario RPG

Metroid Prime Remastered
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe (might still get spirits based on Magolor Epilogue)
Looking at this list:
I feel Mario Wonder, Peach Showtime, Fire Emblem Engage, and Scar/Vio are locks for future events.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
Nintendo Switch Sports
Bayonetta 3
Fire Emblem Engage
F-ZERO 99
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario RPG

Metroid Prime Remastered
AW Reboot should also be low priority, it didn't get released in Japan.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Let's predict the fighters in the spirit battles.
Rauru: Black Mewtwo
Noah and Mio: Black and Red Shulk and a Mii Fighter with Nia hair
Deep Cut: Yellow female Inkling, Sheik, Black Greninja
Oauchi: Giant Duck Hunt and Red Olimar

MasterCheef

Smash Ace

two thoughts

the Japanese translation reads ( "Assemble! Spirits of the latest series" )
included is a picture of ; ( Noah & Mio )

I wonder if history is repeating itself ? ... With us getting spirits of the new Xenoblade protagonists before we get them as characters ?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
two thoughts

the Japanese translation reads ( "Assemble! Spirits of the latest series" )
included is a picture of ; ( Noah & Mio )

I wonder if history is repeating itself ? ... With us getting spirits of the new Xenoblade protagonists before we get them as characters ?
I don't know, as it is possible that we could get Xenoblade Chronicles 4 between now and the release date of the next game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't know, as it is possible that we could get Xenoblade Chronicles 4 between now and the release date of the next game.
Wrong. The next Xenoblade will be Xenoblade Chronicles X 2.

And then we'll get Xenoblade Chronicles X 2 2.

I just want the plot to be finished...

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't be surprised if these were all legend class to sort of wrap things up. Then again, Rauru would never have been anything else.

Some part of me is still hoping that if they include third parties smt will finally get a spirit (I still can't believe they never included Jack Frost), but the wording of the tweets makes me think that was too long ago, with there being nothing mainline since SMT V in... 2021... How's time gone that fast??? An Undertale spirit event finally would be nice as well.

Anyway, my semi-realistic predictions are (assuming it's 3 more events with 4 spirits each):

• Elephant Mario (SMB Wonder)
  • Alear (Fire Emblem Engage)
  • Koraidon & Miraidon (Pokemon SV)
  • Hisuian Typhlosion, Decidueye and Samurott (Pokemon Legends)
  • Swordfighter Peach (Princess Peach Showtime)
  • Shez (Fire Emblem Warriors 3H)
  • Bayonetta (Bayonetta 3)
  • Matthew & A (Xenoblade 3 FR)
  • Wario (Warioware Move It!)
  • MC Horace (Everybody 1 2 switch)
  • Sportsmates (Switch Sports)
  • Car Mouth (Kirby and the Forgotten Land)

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
This following post is not directed to you, but the other guy. (as I do understand where you are coming from, and I do not think this is not news) I don't think it is going to be a good idea to push your point of view here or at least continue to try and convince others otherwise. (In the possible case that the person I am talking to is doing that; that is just one out of many possible cases, but I will go with this one for now) I think it would be better to let it go. LiveStudioAudience said agree to disagree. What is wrong with his viewpoint, anyway?
If you're talking to me... why don't you just quote me?

And you can disagree with my point, that's fine, but there's no grounds on which to tell me to stop talking about it. I wasn't forcing anyone to participate, we were both being civil, it was only a few posts, and what we were discussing was a matter of perspective. I think some people agreed with me and some people agreed with the other side. That's often what happens in a debate.

This is very strange, to quote someone else to tell me to stop talking. With all due respect, I don't need you to police my conversations, especially with someone who seems to have had less of a problem with it than you.

And fwiw, I wasn't planning on responding again, because no one else had chimed in, and I agree we had said all we really could.

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
This again!? 😕
Is more factible that Dragon Ball's Goku got a spirit in Smash Ultimate, than the mythical Switch successor having a proper reveal this year.
just so you know your opinion is in fact against some former Nintendo employees who also worked with Sakurai

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Warning Issued

Aaayei

Smash Cadet
I don't think we've ever had a spirit event with more than 4 spirits, so I'm assuming the ones pictured are the only ones we're getting

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
I haven't done this in a while, but I thought I might as well take a look at the Smash Bros website and check the ID for the new Spirit Events. The event announced today isn't there yet, but the announcement for the new events is.

The ID for the announcement is 1901. The Spirit Event before this one is 1149. They've been repeating old events for a long time, but they've been giving new IDs to these repeated events. The fact that they chose a far away ID like 1901 makes me think that they programmed the events to be repeated for a while, but now that they're working on the game again they picked an ID that the repeated events will never reach.

It's probably not happening, but considering they're updating the game again, I'd like for them to release a patch that nerfs some characters like Steve whenever the Sora amiibo is released.

Edit: The new event is now on the website. It's 1902.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I haven't done this in a while, but I thought I might as well take a look at the Smash Bros website and check the ID for the new Spirit Events. The event announced today isn't there yet, but the announcement for the new events is.

The ID for the announcement is 1901. The Spirit Event before this one is 1149. They've been repeating old events for a long time, but they've been giving new IDs to these repeated events. The fact that they chose a far away ID like 1901 makes me think that they programmed the events to be repeated for a while, but now that they're working on the game again they picked an ID that the repeated events will never reach.

It's probably not happening, but considering they're updating the game again, I'd like for them to release a patch that nerfs some characters like Steve whenever the Sora amiibo is released.
thinking.jpg

How can we use this a totally legitimate hint for Ultimate Deluxe?

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Journeyman
How can we use this a totally legitimate hint for Ultimate Deluxe?
inhales the entire stockpile of copium
They wouldn't redirect people to Ultimate and all its content, while adding even more content (not that spirits are super substantial, but still), if the next game is going to have significantly less.

For real though, the fact that they're touching up Ultimate while they're working on the next game somehow feels like a good sign?

Nabbitfan730

Smash Ace

For all that bulid-up and antipication for only these choices of spirits is bit underwhelming ngl

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
Nintendo Switch Sports
Bayonetta 3
Fire Emblem Engage
F-ZERO 99
Sonic Superstars
Super Mario RPG

Metroid Prime Remastered
what, no another code?

SPEN18

Smash Champion
inhales the entire stockpile of copium
They wouldn't redirect people to Ultimate and all its content, while adding even more content (not that spirits are super substantial, but still), if the next game is going to have significantly less.

For real though, the fact that they're touching up Ultimate while they're working on the next game somehow feels like a good sign?
These events are going to be ancient history by the time the next game releases. Not to mention they're like the most minor of minor content additions they could make; I'd guess that a large bulk of casual fans who haven't been playing Ult regularly since like 2019 aren't even gonna notice except possibly in passing.
So it's not "redirecting attention" away from whatever is coming next for the series.
Besides, it's pretty common practice for dev teams to have a small group working on added content for their last game while most of the manpower is shifted to the next big project. The only likely significance of this is furthering the already strong evidence that they actually have a Smash team together again. And speculating whether it has anything to do with these featured characters' chances for the next game, but we've already kind of said that there's not much way to determine that.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
If I had to guess what the next three events were...

2 - First Party Roundup 2 (Alear, Koraidon+Miraidon, Elefin, Prince Florian)

3 - Third Party Roundup (Bayonetta 3, Luke Streets, Sage Sonic, Sans Undertale)

4 - Anniversary celebration (Spirits for Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, and 4. As in, explicitly the games.)

Top Bottom