• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Stratos

Smash Ace
His name is spelled Crono.
Well, the truth is that some call him Chrono and others call him Crono, and that's why I'm a little confused by the name.
Wait, why is Kevin Keene in the third list? Shouldn't he be in the second list?
Maybe, but the truth is that somehow I'm thinking of him for the second list.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Well, the truth is that some call him Chrono and others call him Crono, and that's why I'm a little confused by the name.
Officially, the game is "Chrono", the character is "Crono"

A Captain N Mii Gunner costume is the only 4P content I want for Smash.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero

I think his name is only Crono because every character in the game had a max length of five letters in their name. I’m not sure whether that was an artistic choice or a hardware limitation. I’m guessing the former because other characters on the SNES have much longer names. It’s kind of like how we have Feraligatr instead of Feraligator. I definitely understand how it could get kind of confusing in Crono’s case because the series is Chrono.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You know, in terms of interactions, I would like to see Mega Man interact with R.O.B., since they are both robots.
I'm not sure Mega Man and R.O.B. can meaningfully communicate since Mega Man doesn't necessarily speak beep boop. If they say he can though, you could get a funny "Timmy fell down the well" gag out of it.

Beyond that I'd imagine it'd be about how Mega Man is reluctant to fight other robots and stuff, which is a conversation he could really have with just about anyone, though my picks would be Shulk, Lucas, or Corrin.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm not sure Mega Man and R.O.B. can meaningfully communicate since Mega Man doesn't necessarily speak beep boop. If they say he can though, you could get a funny "Timmy fell down the well" gag out of it.

Beyond that I'd imagine it'd be about how Mega Man is reluctant to fight other robots and stuff, which is a conversation he could really have with just about anyone, though my picks would be Shulk, Lucas, or Corrin.
Hey, if Luke Skywalker and R2-D2 can understand each other, I don’t see a reason why Mega Man and R.O.B. couldn’t also.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master

I don't see the issue here, since we have weirder things in Smash.
An interaction between a sentient toy and a scrimblo/cartoon blue robot kid is the most normal thing that could happen.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Inspired by previous discussion, I have concocted a new move set idea for Bandana Waddle Dee. While the previous one was borne from people saying a spear wielder would be boring, this one goes the opposite direction and caters to the crowd who just wants him to use the spear. I currently do still plan on refining my spear/beam/parasol fusion idea, but that would take more time than I have right now, so for now, it's just this concept. The Final Smash is the same though. I genuinely think that's his best option unless we're cutsceneing in all the Dream Friends, which would be kinda unnecessary and a tad random.

Bandana Waddle Dee is a small, lightweight fighter who is hard to pin down due to his long, disjointed attacks and mobility tools. This move set focuses on the Spear ability from the Kirby series, though some attacks from the Staff ability appear here as well.
Bandana Waddle Dee has a fairly slow ground and air speed with his ground speed being comparable to Kirby’s. His fall speed is a little on the lower end, and combined with Waddle Spear Throw, Pole Vault and his two mid air jumps, Bandana Waddle Dee can stay in the air for quite a while.

Bandana Waddle Dee also has sweet spots at the tip of his spear thrust attacks, as well as sour spots on the shaft of his spear thrusts, so he must keep spacing in mind when picking his moves.
Bandana Waddle Dee’s prime spacing tool on the ground is his forward tilt: Spear Thrust. It is a quick horizontal thrust of his spear that allows him to poke at opponents from a good distance away, and check their approach. If you hit with it, you can press the attack button again to preform Multispear Thrust, a multi-hit attack with an ending hit that pushes opponents back similar to multiple characters’ rapid jab attacks.

To combat aerial approaches, Bandana Waddle Dee can use his up tilt: Spinning Spear. Bandana Waddle Dee throws his spear straight up as it spins horizontally. He doesn’t toss it far, it isn’t enough to hit opponents standing on platforms above him, but its enough for a heavy disjoint that stuffs out most attacks. It’s also a multi-hit move. The hitbox that comes out when he catches the spear sends opponents up and in front, allowing him to follow up with up air juggle scenarios, or forward air pressure.

If the opponent gets too close, you can use his neutral attack or down tilt to push them away, or try to escape. Bandana Waddle Dee’s neutral attack is a strike with the butt of the spear. Pressing the attack button again has him strike perform a slash with the tip of the spear. Both of these attacks have much lower range than most of his other attacks, but they lack a close-range sour spot, allowing you to hit opponents right in front of him. His down tilt is a sliding kick that moves Bandana Waddle Dee forward a decent distance, allowing him to get away from opponents that are in his face. It has a faster startup than his neutral attack, allowing you to out-speed other characters’ boxing tools, but it has a lot more end lag, making it much more unsafe on whiff, and best used as a mixup tool. While performing this move, Bandana Waddle Dee is really close to the ground, allowing him to low profile aerial advances.

Bandana Waddle Dee’s dash attack causes him to fall on his face, just like his king! The attack isn’t quite as slow or powerful as King Dedede’s, but it can K.O. at high percents. It’s still slow enough to be a commitment, so it’s best not to spam the move.

Bandana Waddle Dee’s forward smash is a more powerful thrust cut from the same cloth as Byleth’s forward smash. It’s angleable, and does a lot of damage at the tip, but its usefulness as a K.O. tool drastically lowers at close range.

His up smash is Skyward Thrust: Bandana Waddle Dee thrusts his spear straight up, dealing a ton of damage at the tip, and scooping up opponents that are right next to him. The sweet spot is placed so that it will usually hit opponents standing on platforms above him like the lower ones on Battlefield, or the one on Smashville. His down smash is Turn Around Mow Down - Cut in Half: Bandana Waddle Dee hops up as he twirls his spear behind him before slamming it to the ground. The initial hitbox scoops opponents behind him into the final spear slam, and the attack itself doesn’t have a close ranged sour spot with the tradeoff of not having quite as much damage, range, or K.O. power. It’s probably the least useful of his smash attacks, but with a read on your opponent, you can use it as an anti-air, or a tech chase with good positioning.
Bandana Waddle Dee’s forward aerial consists of three jabs of his spear. It’s a multi-hit doesn’t cover as much distance as his forward tilt, but has more active hitboxes, and allows him to drift back and forth during the move. This move can combo into itself under certain conditions. His back aerial has him jab his spear behind him. This is a strong K.O. move if you can hit with the sweet spot, and together with his forward aerial, Bandana Waddle Dee has a very threatening presence in the air.

Bandana Waddle Dee’s up air is an overhead swing with his spear, it lacks the long range of a lot of his other attacks, but allows him to juggle opponents much more easily than his middling air speed would otherwise allow.

Bandana Waddle Dee’s neutral aerial has him spin his spear in front of him, finishing with a horizontal strike. The attack lacks a sour spot, and it comes out quickly, allowing him to use it out of shield, or as an air to air in a pinch. It also tends to place opponents in forward air distance. However, opponents can sometimes fall out of the final hit if they’re hit on the top or the bottom of the move.

His down air is Moon Drop: A stall then fall attack consisting of a spinning downward thrust. It is very similar to Corrin’s down aerial in that it is a multi-hit, and will drag opponents down, but has a ton of end lag, making it very punishable. Due to his two midair jumps and up special, surviving the use of this move off stage is very possible for Bandana Waddle Dee.
Bandana Waddle Dee has a short grab on account of him having nub arms, and his throws aren’t super impressive either. His down throw is a reference to Megaton Punch, and can K.O. at really high percents, but mostly his throws are for stage control and initiating juggle scenarios.
Bandana Waddle Dee’s special moves are what make him truly unique as a swordfighter. His neutral special is Waddle Spear Throw, a toss of a spear that travels in an arc. Bandana Waddle Dee stalls in the air a bit when preparing the throw, allowing him to throw multiple spears while in the air. This attack can be charged, with the spear arcing higher up (and thus, farther) with more charge. At full charge, it becomes Waddle Triple Throw, throwing a spread of three spears instead of just one. Bandana Waddle Dee can use this attack to pressure opponents from across the stage. It doesn’t keep opponents away, but it does annoy them with constant threats of damage, causing them to want to get into the mid-range, where the character excels.

While Bandana Waddle Dee isn’t a long ranged zoner, he can make himself quite elusive with his down special: Pole Vault. Pole Vault is a downward spear thrust that can be used as a normal down aerial, but if you hit the ground with the spear, Bandana Waddle Dee will use it to fling himself up, and forward. While vaulting, the attack can be charged, with the charge flinging him with a much lower ark in exchange for a faster travel speed and higher distance.

The vault part of Pole Vault lacks a hit box, so it’s easily punished if you’re too predictable with your timings, but if you’re proactive with it, it’s an extremely useful mobility tool against the rush down characters that he struggles against.

Bandana Waddle Dee’s side special is Ground Thrust. This attack begins with a hit grab, as Bandana Waddle Dee thrusts his spear into the ground. Whether the initial thrust hits or not, Bandana Waddle Dee will charge forward, dragging his spear through the ground, then end with a final slash with his spear, throwing any opponents caught in the attack forward. This attack covers the space between the effective ranges of his forward tilt and neutral attack, and give you a ton of but is extremely punishable on whiff, and while the rest of the attack can hit opponents not hit by the grab, it doesn’t combo into the final hit for them, again making it very punishable. In the air, this attack is a very powerful stab that can hit opponents at the ledge.

Bandana Waddle Dee’s Up Special is Waddle Copter. Bandana Waddle Dee spins his spear above his head to fly for about 3 seconds before slowing down, and slow falling the rest of the way. While slow falling, you can end the move by pressing down to enter free fall. This move is chargeable, allowing him to fly for about 6 seconds at full charge. The move has a horizontally multi-hit hitbox above Bandana Waddle Dee for the duration of the flight, but due to his low air speed, Bandana Waddle Dee is otherwise a sitting duck.
Three slabs of rock slam into the ground in front of Bandana Waddle Dee. If they land on any opponents, Bandana Waddle Dee will cheer as more slabs of rock will fall on top of them, creating a comically tall stack. Once the stack is complete, Bandana Waddle Dee will jump on top of them and with one punch, destroy every single one of them, launching any opponents caught in the blast. The Smash Ball version of this move has a cinematic zoom in on that punch for extra hype.
Bandana Waddle Dee likes to harass opponents from afar regardless of what distance they’re at. At long range he pesters them with Waddle Spear Throw, and at mid-range he can keep them at bay with Spear Thrust, Ground Thrust, his forward air, back air, or neutral air. He also has the option to run away with his down tilt, or Pole Vault.

His damage is relatively high, but it requires correct spacing to pull off, and since his attacks are generally built to push opponents away, he doesn’t have many combos.

His game plan starts to fall apart when opponents get close, as his close-range options are either on the slower end, or highly committal. He can have some trouble getting out of juggle situations due to his slower air speed, and if he’s forced to use Waddle Copter, his recovery is highly exploitable.

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman
If part of Alear's appeal to some people is the appearance of more FE characters, why not look to the Breidablik as a Pokeball-like item, but for Fire Emblem characters?
  • Gives Fire Emblem characters their own Pokeball-like item to allow more appearances by different Fire Emblem characters and not being restricted to main characters only, allowing popular side-characters and villains to appear.
  • Allows for character classes of all types, allowing appearances for Pegasus Knights, Horse Riders, Wyvern Riders, Armoured Knights, Mages, Manaketes, Beastkin, etc. Heck, the Breidablik can summon outright Gods and Final Bosses, which can serve as the Bredablik's "Legendary" Pokemon-like Summons.
  • It's a frickin' Gun.

You are literally shooting out the characters you summon like a bullet. How would that not be cool to see in Smash Bros?
We don't know if Sakurai would want to include mobile content in smash outside of one or two music tracks,, so i'd say the chances of seeing something for mobile gaming that isnt one or two music tracks are low.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Y’know the Inklings were such no-brainer characters, it makes perfect sense that they’d be the first reveal for Ultimate.

But I wonder who could be the first for the next game. Waluigi, maybe?
I feel like a second Splatoon character is the most likely of any character to join the roster but I am curious who the big headliner would be. I don’t think Octolings would really have the same punch in that role. Waluigi does make some sense but I’m going to throw out a guess and say it will be a Zelda character. We haven’t had a unique newcomer since Melee so I think a Zelda character would be one of the most hype first party characters. Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom were both really big hits so that helps too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Y’know the Inklings were such no-brainer characters, it makes perfect sense that they’d be the first reveal for Ultimate.

I'd say seeing Waluigi making it in would still be a surprise despite the fan demand, given how long he's been sidelined.

Meanwhile, Inkling might as well have gotten in without a trailer and nobody would wonder whether they're in the game lmao.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Theoretically this makes an amount of sense, or at least as the "wait there's more" reveal like Ridley, but under the obvious condition that all of Mario, Luigi and Wario are already revealed for the game. And ideally Peach and Bowser too... assuming his trailer would focus largely on the greater Mario cast, particularly some of the kart / sports staples, you'd probably want a lot of that out of the way.

That's no problem really, all of those are reasonably early reveals, but it comes down to how many characters they choose to show off alongside the game. I'm assuming it won't be like Ultimate where we get all the veterans at once, so maybe it would make more sense to build up to Waluigi after that foundation is set. Although it's probably best to show him off earlier than later since whether or not he appears as an AT again will be the single hottest question in speculation.

I think Tom Nook could be among the first. If we're thinking about no-brainer additions who appeal to a wide audience but may not especially be giant "hype" character drops then I can see him in the first trailer. That's also assuming Villager and/or Isabelle are there from the jump, and I'd say the chances are next to guaranteed that would be the case. Perhaps Ring Fit Trainee or Octoling too, but... idk, something about RFT feels like a slightly later reveal and isn't quite as synonymous as Animal Crossing or Splatoon before it. And Octoling, on top of likely being a more derivative character (to what extent is yet to be seen) I think could have a shot of being in a dedicated Splatoon trailer alongside a second newcomer.

Last edited:

TheQuester

Smash Journeyman

I'd say they could show a Undertale character in the first trailer if it's got a character in the base game somehow, that would hype people up, specially if they show it at the end.
Other than that? I'd say characters like...Tom Nook, Sidon from Zelda, Waluigi or the Squid Sisters could be at the start of the trailer.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd say seeing Waluigi making it in would still be a surprise despite the fan demand, given how long he's been sidelined.

Meanwhile, Inkling might as well have gotten in without a trailer and nobody would wonder whether they're in the game lmao.
I mean, to some extent, that's how it kinda was. We got the surprise Smash Ultimate trailer in the guise of a Splatoon trailer and then when they did the "Everybody is Here" trailer, Inkling was kinda just in it instead of having their own dedicated special trailer like the later characters like Ridley, King K.Rool and etc.

Imagine if that's how they were to reveal Waluigi. Just show off the next Smash trailer, show off the characters who are returning and then Waluigi appears during it and they're like, "And look, Waluigi is here and playable too. Excited? shows off the next returning character shortly after".

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
It’s a weird situation where there isn’t really an obvious ‘headliner’ new character. If anything, this scenario is like Brawl, where a bunch of its first reveals were supporting casts, a retro revival, and a bombshell third party.

So I’d say we’d be looking at a supporting cast member ideally, which fits with current names being thrown around such as a new Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing or Splatoon character.

I’ll throw in Bandana Dee. Kirby is decently big, and it would be a pretty interesting reveal.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To go a step further with it, I think the safest bets for a "wait, there's more" reveal after the initial trailer would be a character from a previously unrepresented series. Assuming what I said before is true, that some reveals are kind of conditional based on who's revealed at a given time, the safest decision from there would be to prioritize the ones who are unreliant on those characters to return.

I'm assuming, like in Smash 4, some trailers will double as veteran reveals. So maybe Wario can show up in the Waluigi trailer, and you can just come to an obvious conclusion from there. Otherwise introducing someone like Isaac, who has longstanding series demand and is also from a brand new universe, wouldn't rely on much else. Realistically though, that would probably be the place for a big name / crowd pleasing third party. Maybe something like Resident Evil or Monster Hunter, or even Undertale.

Although with Monster Hunter, it'd probably be ideal to have some of the key villains / "boss" characters confirmed. We gotta see them taking on Bowser, Ridley and K. Rool at least. Probably Charizard too.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Going off of Brawl's model, the five characters I'd reveal are as follows:
  • Bandana Waddle Dee (Kirby character)
  • Takamaru (retro character)
  • TotK Ganondorf (alternate version of a veteran with a brand new moveset)
  • Waluigi (evil counterpart to one of the Mario Bros.)
  • Crash Bandicoot (3rd party newcomer)
On another note, I think a cool way bosses could be handled next game was to split them between "major" bosses (basically the main villains of their respective games) and "minor" bosses (normal bosses from their respective games). Here's the list of my ideas so far:
  • Master Hand
  • Crazy Hand
  • Whatever villain gets made up for story mode
  • Fury Bowser
  • Magolor Soul
  • Grima
  • Dragaux
  • Big Arms
  • Duon
  • Petey Piranha
  • Kracko
  • Twinbellows
If anyone has other suggestions for "major" and/or "minor" bosses, let me know.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Been playing a lot of fighters lately and got bored, so I decided to make something awesome.

the FIGHTERS pass.png

What's your reaction if this suddenly happened? Disappointed by the lack of variety? Pumped to see more fighting games represented in Smash? Just happy to suddenly get 10 new characters?

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Been playing a lot of fighters lately and got bored, so I decided to make something awesome.

View attachment 388758

What's your reaction if this suddenly happened? Disappointed by the lack of variety? Pumped to see more fighting games represented in Smash? Just happy to suddenly get 10 new characters?
Isn't that King of Fighters All-Star? :4pacman:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
We don't know if Sakurai would want to include mobile content in smash outside of one or two music tracks,, so i'd say the chances of seeing something for mobile gaming that isnt one or two music tracks are low.
Being fair, Ultimate's project plan was settled before we saw any of Nintendo's forays into the mobile market.

It truly could go either way and we'll only really know the state of mobile gaming in Nintendo and Sakurai's eyes in the next game. No matter what though, I'm certain it will at least be on their minds. Mobile gaming is too big to be overlooked.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Yeah in a vacuum I would say Splatoon or Animal Crossing for the opener, but those were the openers in Ult and 4 so I think they will likely try a different franchise this time. I have proposed a Zelda character as a a first reveal several times already; I also think a highly-demanded character like Waluigi would be likely if he is in. The main aspect is I think whoever is revealed first is likely to be someone who appeals to a wide audience.

If there is an initial blowout of multiple newcomers, then we could see a more niche choice that is still popular within the hardcore fandom (say Isaac) alongside some more recognizable characters (on that note it would be funny to see Isaac and Waluigi revealed at the same time). However, following what happened with Inkling and Villager, at this time I think they are more likely to reveal one character in the initial teaser, though we might get multiple trailers in the same Direct/day with the later ones showing more characters.

Also, the pattern seems to be that they like to reveal a third party newcomer early on, but not first-first. Though if we get the multiple trailers setup, then I would guess a third party might be in one of them.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Mixed. Surprised by the amount. Confused by the lack of variety. Excited to get a couple most wanted. Happy to have a bunch more series repped in Smash.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

View attachment 388758

Sub-Zero, Fulgore, and Nightmare are all on my most wanted list so I’d be pretty hyped. Others like Scorpion, Sol Badguy and Chun-Li would be really cool too.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Say, a bit random, but what's everybody's thoughts on Story of Seasons (or Harvest Moon, if you prefer) in Smash? I remember there was a brief bit where the main character (who was just called "Farmer", though I think was referring to Pete) was seen as something of a sleeper pick, but that was awhile ago and I was curious how it is now.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

View attachment 388758

The literal Fighters Pass...

Honestly, I would have two reactions.
  1. Why a random Pass out of nowhere? Why does it have 10 characters? Why are all of them fighting game reps?
  2. MORTAL KOMBAT AND SOULCALIBUR ARE IN SMASH LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

View attachment 388758

I’m not a huge fighting game guy so the lack of variety would be a bit disappointing to me, tbh

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

View attachment 388758

The only ones I'd be interested in the most are Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Akira. The others are okay but not all that exciting (personally, I prefer Jago for Killer Instinct, Kasumi for Dead or Alive, and another character instead of Mai for SNK). It's nice to see more series repped, though.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Mad at the lack of my girl Morrigan 😤 This is the only way I could see a Darkstalkers character making it in, so I'd be bummed if it didn't happen.

Truthfully though, I love fighting games but I'd be a little underwhelmed at an exclusive focus on any kind of game. On a personal level at least many of these are characters that I already like a lot... it would serve me nicely, but I'd appreciate further variety because I know the feeling. Lots of my favorite kinds of games have been snubbed thus far so if you're not into fighting games, this is gonna shut out a lot of fans.

But let's say it was either this, or nothing at all. I'm not mad at it, although I don't think Mai would be my first pick from KOF. If we wanna stick with this gender balance, I'd probably opt for Athena instead since her fighting style differs from the more traditional martial artist mold we're gonna be seeing a lot of. Two Mortal Kombat characters is a little questionable too, but hey - it's Scorpion and Sub-Zero. And chances are he was easier to make than most of these others with Scorpion already around. Sol, Fulgore... hell yes. Don't know much about Soul Caliber but have always been invested in the idea of Nightmare.

Personal preference, I think I'd like Akira to stick with the retro look. I think that choice might be controversial among Virtua Fighter fans, pigeonholing him as another character that critics may say Smash isn't serving as faithfully as it could be, but I think it'd make him a tremendously dynamic and silly character to stand apart from the more visually similar martial artists in the cast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom