• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MultiVersus General Discussion

Faso115

Smash Lord
I would love Jason to be in, but I honestly still don't buy it. I don't see why they would go out of their way to work on Jason when they already have 10+ characters complete or very near completion, including big request one. Johnny Bravo make much more sense because we know from the early beta days that he was already being worked on. Also the rights to Friday the 13th were a big mess until pretty recently, so work on Jason would have to be pretty recent.
There's a very easy and obvious reason why Jason would be prioritized and that's probably executive meddling

I wouldn't be surprised WB got a deal and decided to force PFG to shove Jason into the game. Might explain the existance of Banana Guard too

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yeah, no, now you're just overreacting ngl
No, I'm just sick of watching these clowns make every baffling decision in the book and get praised for it. I've disagreed with character choices before but this is the kind of unfunny **** I hate. They invested time and money into this ****. I'm not even a huge Adventure Time person but I'd be insulted if I was especially after all the teasing they did for Marceline. There's no classic Cartoon Network, no Daffy Duck, two movie shill characters, every other ****ing character is the same one class. At least Piranha Plant is a character everyone knows. At least Hugh had ****ing support, genuine or otherwise. Nobody asked for this. No one wanted this. And they prioritized this for their grand relaunch after a year of nothing alongside a character who should've been in a year ago, and based on the name thing literally none of the options are appealing. I have not had one character post launch, or even in the starting lineup, that I wanted. And this is the straw that broke the camel's back. They're clearly more interesting in trying and failing to be funny than they are actually making good choices.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
If they're scrapping assists and they didn't want the assets to go to waste, I can be less mad at the banana. Otherwise, I truly don't understand. And even then, they could've made Bubblegum playable and put guards in her moveset.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Alright now that I got it outta the system let me try to be more objective about this

It's frustrating to me that this is what they come back to after a year of nothing. I still don't have anyone in the game I really like because the movesets are already simplistic enough and now they add a character with the most boring kit of all into the game over an inspired pick or even just someone people actually want. They're well aware of community expectations and they actively chose to pursue, and spend part of their allocated budget, on this (apparently part of their marketing was to send bananas to influencers.)

I just don't think this is the right call. If the game had launched with thirty and had more spread out representation, okay, then I'd say a joke character would be fine. But even then, I think there are just better joke options. The model isn't the same as the assist model, which means they aren't even repurposing the assets that much, so at that point why not just make a joke character people would actually be interested in? I literally proposed multiple options for more interesting jokes in my videos.

If they had swung back after a year with five new characters and BG as a bonus, that would've been better. In my opinion, they should have left it in the oven a few more months to have a more robust lineup for relaunch, and then he wouldn't be getting this much hate.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
I see a lot of roster talk in these past couple pages, so I'd like to share my 2 cents.

Banana Guard makes sense as a gag character, but having him be one of the only 3 launch newcomers they're adding, after a year of hiatus, is certainly a choice. He isn't from a new franchise, he isn't even one of the most requested characters in his own franchise, and his moveset might be one of the most uninspired weapon-based movesets in the whole game. It's like the opposite of Piranha Plant; They subverted expectations in the worst way possible.

I get the idea for the character, certainly, but the timing was also very poor. Mind you, this is their follow up to Joker, and this is after several teases for The Powerpuff Girls, Animaniacs and Dexter, none of whom will be at launch.

As a whole, I gotta say I'm very unimpressed with the Multiversus roster. WB has one of the most diverse catalogues of IPs out there but the current roster is basically just Cartoon Network/Adult Swim with a couple of guest stars. That's it. And this game is meant to compete with Smash Bros? I'm not excited. All the characters in right now certainly deserve to be in, but the current crossover aspect that they're banking all of the marketing on is not holding up it's own weight.

I've heard rumors that Jason Vorhees is the next launch character. I do sincerely hope this is true, because he would be a game changer for the roster. Until then? This ain't it.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
There's a very easy and obvious reason why Jason would be prioritized and that's probably executive meddling

I wouldn't be surprised WB got a deal and decided to force PFG to shove Jason into the game. Might explain the existance of Banana Guard too
I don't now, I just can't really see neither Jason, nor Banana guard be executive push. Banana guard was probably an inside joke by the team or it's just Tony being a huge Adventure time. And for Jason, I don't see WB executive pushing from him when 1) Friday the 13th have no project coming in the near future and 2) the game is clearly aimed at kids and he comes from a very violent franchise.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
I don't now, I just can't really see neither Jason, nor Banana guard be executive push. Banana guard was probably an inside joke by the team or it's just Tony being a huge Adventure time. And for Jason, I don't see WB executive pushing from him when 1) Friday the 13th have no project coming in the near future and 2) the game is clearly aimed at kids and he comes from a very violent franchise.
there's actually a camp Crystal lake tv show due out this year \ next year but it's on peacock

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
It's probably Johnny but I don't think it being Jasper is impossible
Not gonna lie, Jasper is pretty much the last SU rep I would want. She just doesn't have a ton of crazy moveset potential.

I know I wouldn't really have any room to complain when the Adventure Time fans are getting... this, but I'd still be disappointed.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Reminder that Arya Stark from Game of Thrones has been in the game since its reveal
Complete with her copy gimmick being based off of her stealing the faces of people she's killed and her pies which they make a point of joking about not asking what's in them (it's people btw).

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I feel like AT is way overrepresented if Marceline is indeed ever coming. Having four reps in what will be a lineup of like 30ish characters by the time she's here is just overkill, especially with one of them being a joke character

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Jason 's films are violent but the character himself has been funko-poped and parodied to hell and back at this point, I don't think he's too much

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
I haven't watched the show, but I was told that the pie she spawns in the game is apparently a very cruel reference
Correct. Somebody already mentioned it above, but in the show she essentially bakes a cannibal pie and force feeds it to the victim's father. And she's like 15

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Just to be clear I wasn't saying that Jason would be too much or impossible to fit for the game tone, it just doesn't scream that he's a character that the WB executive would really push for. I'm sure inside the team at Player 1st games there's many horrors fans who would be very excited to work with him.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Jason would be a dope character, especially since they also own Nightmare on Elm Street. We could have a reunion. That said, I know Jason and his whole franchise have been in legal limbo for awhile, which seemingly only recently got resolved, so I think it might be a little early for him. If it got resolved months ago though I could see him getting in

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Banana Guard is voiced by Austen Moret.

He has voiced a variety of characters in different games, including Smite, Fire Emblem Heroes, and Brawl Stars.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing I'm wondering about regarding Banana Guard is if they specifically wanted a new character at launch with a very basic moveset to appeal to newbies, given that a character like BG doesn't have as much unique material that needs representing that could complicate a moveset.

If you're new and you don't want to have to deal with a bunch of cooldowns and statuses and stuff, there's not a lot of options, right, with Shaggy being the main one? Now you also have a weapon user for if you want a more ranged playstyle while keeping it simple. He has the dumbbell status buff but that seems like the only thing, unless they haven't shown us something important yet.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
One thing I'm wondering about regarding Banana Guard is if they specifically wanted a new character at launch with a very basic moveset to appeal to newbies, given that a character like BG doesn't have as much unique material that needs representing that could complicate a moveset.

If you're new and you don't want to have to deal with a bunch of cooldowns and statuses and stuff, there's not a lot of options, right, with Shaggy being the main one? Now you also have a weapon user for if you want a more ranged playstyle while keeping it simple. He has the dumbbell status buff but that seems like the only thing, unless they haven't shown us something important yet.
Yeah that make sense, I feel like this role should have been to Arya Stark in the first place but yeah, it make sense to have a simple weapon wielder in your roster.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I think their biggest mistake was not being up front about it. If they said "in order to make sure all other aspects of the game have been improved, we unfortunately will only have three new characters at launch " during the first reveal, I think people would be at least a little more accepting. Hell, maybe just say there's only two, and reveal Banana Guard and whoever the third character is at the same time. The disappointment of potassium would kinda be cancelled out by the surprise of doing more than promised.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
WB has one of the most diverse catalogues of IPs out there but the current roster is basically just Cartoon Network/Adult Swim with a couple of guest stars. That's it.
You think so? It comes off to me like a DC game with guest stars. Until we get the PPG and are sure Dexter and Johnny Bravo are actually happening, there really isn’t that much playable CN rep compared to everything else.

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
You think so? It comes off to me like a DC game with guest stars. Until we get the PPG and are sure Dexter and Johnny Bravo are actually happening, there really isn’t that much playable CN rep compared to everything else.
I'm kind of throwing DC into the CN mix here. Pretty much all of the animated DC shows in the past 2 decades have been aired there, after all.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
I'm kind of throwing DC into the CN mix here. Pretty much all of the animated DC shows in the past 2 decades have been aired there, after all.
I mean, yes, but as far as CN originals go, there isn’t nearly as much as people are making it out to be.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Well, I didn't say "CN-Original", I just said CN
It's still weird to count someone like Superman as a CN character when he's appeared much more in comics. Even a cartoon character like Bugs had decades of history before CN existed. The origins of the characters are what's important.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Well, I didn't say "CN-Original", I just said CN
It was implied in the wording!

CN is the WB Animation depository station, so yeah all that stuff is on there. This means that when I hear people on here mention Cartoon Network I assume they mean the originals rather than stuff like Batman, Scooby, Looney Tunes etc

As of right now, not counting AS, we only have five characters representing two shows in a 30+ character roster. It ain’t much.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
We all know you hate DC, but stop with this. There's 6 DC characters and only one more has been datamined (that being Raven). There's 7 CN original characters (so not counting Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo characters), and we know that much more are coming (Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff girls, Marceline, Mordecai are probably coming)

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I think it's important to make the distinction that there's no Cartoon Cartoon era characters in the game yet. All of the CN originals in the game so far come from the 2010's era.

LimeTH

Smash Lord
We all know you hate DC, but stop with this. There's 6 DC characters and only one more has been datamined (that being Raven). There's 7 CN original characters (so not counting Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo characters), and we know that much more are coming (Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff girls, Marceline, Mordecai are probably coming)
I don’t hate DC? I’m just saying it has the most playable representation right now.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I'm already braced myself for DC overrepresentation cause those characters are the easiest to make movesets out of and probably something WB mandated that we have to have X character to coincide with another release just like what happened with Black Adam.

That said, pretty sure there are future proofed lines for several DC characters. Nubia, Raven, Poison Ivy and i think Robin?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There's 7 CN original characters (so not counting Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry and Scooby-Doo characters), and we know that much more are coming (Johnny Bravo, Samurai Jack, Powerpuff girls, Marceline, Mordecai are probably coming)
This is honestly pretty nuts to me. I’m not complaining at all since these are the characters that mean the most to me, but seeing CN get this amount of love within the greater WB brand was unheard of when I was growing up. Hanna Barbera and the like had been canonized into the fold, but Cartoon Network always felt like its own beast.

Needless to say, it makes me happy. Although to that token, I wonder if there’s a guy out there who wants to play this game but doesn’t care about CN and starts getting tired of these guys LOL. After all, we’re still pretty sparse on the old school Hanna Barbera toons outside of Scooby, and there’s something admittedly a bit odd about having the same amount of Adventure Time as Looney Tunes. Let alone the breadth of untapped WB movie franchises.

I’m kinda baffled that we haven’t heard anything of Fred Flintstone since the original Reddit text leaks.

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
It's still weird to count someone like Superman as a CN character when he's appeared much more in comics. Even a cartoon character like Bugs had decades of history before CN existed. The origins of the characters are what's important.
It was implied in the wording!

CN is the WB Animation depository station, so yeah all that stuff is on there. This means that when I hear people on here mention Cartoon Network I assume they mean the originals rather than stuff like Batman, Scooby, Looney Tunes etc

As of right now, not counting AS, we only have five characters representing two shows in a 30+ character roster. It ain’t much.
I guess I need to rephrase myself.

The roster right now just feels like a collection of characters you'd find on CN/AS, plus a handful of oddities, and nothing else. The appeal for this crossover feels entirely limited to one corner of the WB catalogue rather than bringing multiple demographics together.

Ergo, my original statement: It feels like a CN roster + handful of guests to me. It wouldn't surprise me if we got a CN: Punch-Time Explosion sequel with the exact same roster minus Arya and maybe the Gremlins

LimeTH

Smash Lord
Last time I checked 7 was bigger than 6.
There are two reasons I’m making the distinction here.

1. DC characters all exist in the same universe. CN characters do not. I get we’re lumping them all together as “CN characters” but Adventure Time and Steven Universe are two separate series, while DC is essentially being treated like one big singular one. DC as a single series has the most characters representing it.

2. I’m not counting PPG since they aren’t in officially yet, and I’m not counting Rick and Morty because Adult Swim is treated like a separate entity. Maybe that’s pedantic but it makes sense to me.

I mean, I’m game for more DC, I’m pumped for Raven, I’ve had Starfire and Zatanna on my wishlist the whole time, I don’t hate DC.
It’s just people have been acting like this game is becoming Punch Time Explosion 2 when we don’t even have a playable Cartoon Cartoon era character yet.

I won’t disagree with anyone that the third AT slot has been wasted on Banana Guard, all that said. Where is Marceline?!

Last edited:
Top Bottom