• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adding Notches to Pro Switch Controller, Will it Work? What to look out for?

r0man_

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
RMAN#671
Hello, I am poor and cant get a gc controller rn, so I play with a ps4 controller. Its awful, ofc, so I want to get the temporarily best option available to me, until I can afford a Nintendo GC Controller. I have a switch pro controller and I wrote out a guide for notching it based on what I have found accross the internet.

Not really anything for notching pro controllers along the lines of tutorials or any info at all really, but I did find a store selling notched pro controllers and figured it must be possible.

My main thought on what could be an issue is applying the c-stick style notches to a right stick, but im worried I might come across some other problems.

Maybe the switch controller sticks would have an issue after notching or maybe there is something in the pro controller more sensitive than the gamecube controller in the tutorial I will follow. Maybe the pro controller must be within a specific range that it isnt in, thus making the notches not work. Idk.

Ill leave the guide I wrote out for myself below, I am hoping anyone with any knowledge on the subject who can chime in with any issues I may come across or any problems with my rough guide or reasons why notches wont work or could hurt my controller, outside of notching a controller being hard.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

• Notching My Pro Controller
    • Learn to safely take off pro cover
      **https://youtu.be/o-9ZwtQUDtA**
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-9ZwtQUDtA
    • Find out how to get exact measurement of left and right stick in images below, equal to size of my pro controllers left and right stick. If the c stick on gamecube is smaller than right stick on controller, do math to make them equal to ensure notches work are the correct size and placement relative to the pro right stick

• left stick / c-stick
    • get exact dimensions off google
      Create a 3D model in blender of left stick using exact dimensions, then size image accordingly
      trace to paper and tape to pro face plate left stick
      do the math to make the c stick the same size as pro right stick plate, size image accordingly, trace, tape to face plate
    • Get sandpaper, file, and lube
      amazon or walmart
    • Follow EVERY PART of this tutorial. DO NOT **** UP, GO SLOW.
      **https://youtu.be/IPyPO3TByUU**
    • Put Controller together again and test notches
      Works?
      • [ ] y
      • [ ] n
        • Sand down notches, try to salvage controller
        • get out other pro controller
        • try again

Last edited:

vito

Smash Rookie
R r0man_ im not too knowledgeable on controller modding, but, i’d say wait. Just stick with no notches, hell maybe even just save like every penny for a premodded gamecube controller from like multishine controllers or smth.

Last edited:

Pauer

The Pauerful
This is not a great idea to go about things. First of all, you want those notches to correspond to in-game values. You will want to get a modified version of the game that gives you input readouts for your sticks. Then there's the question of whether the mechanism by which you connect your pro-controller will deliver a consistent readout of those values. I don't know much about the switch pro controller.

Multishine controllers aren't very good compared to other modders. They have been known to fail to match their notches to the proper in-game values (for tightly angled recoveries, long wavedashes, etc.). Their notches are needlessly big, you want to ideally take off as little material and make them as unintrusive as possible. Here's an example of Kadano's controller mods:
1716577368665.png

If you're gonna do this yourself, get a small file. You can get a set of different shapes from Amazon, I'd recommend the ones that are made for filing down 3D prints (plastics). Go in small steps and try to keep the angle of the file consistent.
Since you want to recreate the gamecube notches, aim for a value of 0 for the north, east, south and west notches. For the South-East and South-West notches aim for the proper shielddrop values and the North-West and North-East, I'd just aim for similar values as the shielddrop notches.

r0man_

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
RMAN#671
This is not a great idea to go about things. First of all, you want those notches to correspond to in-game values. You will want to get a modified version of the game that gives you input readouts for your sticks. Then there's the question of whether the mechanism by which you connect your pro-controller will deliver a consistent readout of those values. I don't know much about the switch pro controller.

Multishine controllers aren't very good compared to other modders. They have been known to fail to match their notches to the proper in-game values (for tightly angled recoveries, long wavedashes, etc.). Their notches are needlessly big, you want to ideally take off as little material and make them as unintrusive as possible. Here's an example of Kadano's controller mods:
View attachment 389913

If you're gonna do this yourself, get a small file. You can get a set of different shapes from Amazon, I'd recommend the ones that are made for filing down 3D prints (plastics). Go in small steps and try to keep the angle of the file consistent.
Since you want to recreate the gamecube notches, aim for a value of 0 for the north, east, south and west notches. For the South-East and South-West notches aim for the proper shielddrop values and the North-West and North-East, I'd just aim for similar values as the shielddrop notches.
Ok so the first part is doable, the main problem seems to be, from what youre saying, possible inconsistent input values and the notches I am looking to do are too big and possibly not a match to my specific controller input values. I should scrap the method of essentially tracing notches and file based on my specific controllers inputs and minimize the depth of the notch as much as possible, and this is ofc based on limited understanding of pro controllers and should be further looked into first, Right?
Also, idk much about controllers in general or if pictured example is multishine, I am just looking for more consistency in my play and this was the only notched pro controller I could find an example of

Pauer

The Pauerful
Ok so the first part is doable, the main problem seems to be, from what youre saying, possible inconsistent input values and the notches I am looking to do are too big and possibly not a match to my specific controller input values
Well, how exactly are you using the pro controller to play melee, what's your setup?

Top Bottom