• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zap Magnet*VIDEO UP*

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Yep. Just made his recovery broken. Not only do you get the insane vertical from the Zap jump, you get horizontal from Bsticking, then immediatly using Psi magnet, which give you a HUGE push either left or right, depending how you flick the analog stick for the magnet.

EDIT: Just been putting some work into it on FD. You pretty much never need to use PKT to recover again.

EDIT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrNQsOXGSXc

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
man you combined the zap jump and magnet pull making the disconnect jump. it's official, lucas cannot be killed!!

CFaLC

Smash Cadet
It's cool to see it all put together like that. Very neat. I'll be practicing this. It would be pretty cool actually being able to use this in a match. I still don't like the idea of messing up and falling to my death, though. :(

Trozz

Smash Ace
Holy hell.
*goes to training mode*

It looks awesome, but it's bloody hard to pull off. This could take a lot of practice to become more practical than PK Thunder 2 (which is easily countered anyway).

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
ya i find it kinda hard to zap jump with a b-stick. just because the angle you have move your thumb at... i even changed R to jump and it is still hard... maybe i just suck -_-

hazard99

Smash Cadet
Is it really that difficult to pull off? It sounds fairly simple to do.

I wish my wii in my dorm...

Agosta44

Smash Ace
The thing is I didn't know about the magnet Pull (he should rename it to magdashing, sounds better : P) when I performed it. This was all accidental.

Once you get the timing down, it shouldn't be a problem to "Wave Zap". The Magnet is the tough part, cuz sometimes it doesn't feel like activating. I find it easier to use the B button and the Analog stick to get it to activate over the B stick.

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
wow dude, that's hardcore.

I did not switch to b-sticking just cuz i didnt like it.

But if im gonna need it to compete in tourneys, then i might have to !

Agosta44

Smash Ace
I was able to pull off a bootleg version of this without sacraficing the B stick.

What you have to do is:
1. Jump
2. Zap jump
3. Pk Fire again in the same direction your facing after the jump
4. Psi Magnet

It's a LOT less effective, but you somewhat get the "mag-dash" effect from the magnet along with a wave-bounce from the fire (kinda...).

GofG

Smash Champion
I'm stunned. Now, do we call this DC Jumping or Wave Zapping? I'm more partial to Wave Zapping. Perhaps even Bounce Zapping.

MTFFFG

Smash Apprentice
this is kind of difficult to pull of if you can't perform the zap jump consistently. the move is a 50/50 success rate. i wouldn't recommend using this when you are close because of tether recovery and pkt2 isn't that hard to recover with. unless i fly off the stage and die i can make it back with the normal magnet pull without the zap jump and pkt2. grabbing edges has become nearly obsolete.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
Not every button input sequence needs a 'trendy' name. Adding a Zap Jump before a psi magnet doesn't make it a different technique from what's already been discovered.

GofG

Smash Champion
Likewise, in Melee, performing a shine after an L-canceled dair with Fox didn't necessarily need to be called Drillshining, but that's what we called it anyway instead of "shffl'd dair into shine"

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
But that's because it was such a popular technique, probably the most commonly used combo in Melee. Here we're just combining two techniques that already exist.

Eh, pointless to argue. Call it whatever you wish, it'll still do the same thing.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah, but the question is this: Does this recovery pose any significant strategic advantage in competitive level play? The zap jump is awesome because Lucas really needs vertical recovery, and the fire can (sort of) cover you on your way up. This technique leaves you completely exposed, as all of your hitboxes are behind you.

Don't get me wrong, I think that it's a cool technique, but I just don't see this getting used more than once in a set by a good lucas player, unless it was massive sandbagging. [/devil's advocating]

That said, I'm with Jihnsius here, not everything needs to have a trendy name. Especially one that has nothing to do with the component moves. You'll note that drillshining takes the component words and mashes them together, whereas disconnecting from the internet has little to do with Wavebounced Zap Jumping into a Psi Magnet momentum boost.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I'd vote that, mathematically, techniques should only have names if the outcome can't be expressed as a sum of their parts.

For example

Jump + forward B doesn't do what you expect.
forward B + down B doesn't do what you expect.
But Jump + forward B + down B does exactly what you expect once you take into consideration the previous two statements. You're just combining two previously discovered exploits to do exactly what they already do and slapping a label on it. Pointless.

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
Eh, no offense, but you didn't discover anything. All you did was use the techniques other people discovered at the same time.

But yes, it has it's uses. Lucas' recovery is already so awesome that he can pretty much recover from anywhere just using pkt2 unless he's flying off the screen already. It'd be really useful if you can learn to time the magnet so it attacks, though.

Jaqen

Smash Rookie
Psi magnet will never be used to attack for this technique
Umm, never say never. If I can get good enough with it to time it so I land where my opponent is in the magnet so I can release it, I will. Why wouldn't you? That's just an ignorant statement.

Of course, I'm not saying you should go jump off the edge on purpose in order to attack with this. That's just silly. It would be quite awesome to land this after getting knocked off to shake up your opponent a little bit, and potentially KOing them if they have a high percent.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Really flashy and looks really sweet but I really doubt it's going to be that useful. Honestly Lucas already has a really good recovery as it is and in Brawl most people die off the screen rather than by not being able to make it back to the stage. Maybe situationally useful but I wouldn't say broken at all. And using it as an attack is pretty much a waste of time. There are much safer and more reliable ways to do damage.

Levitas

the moon
If I ever get good enough to space a reverse attack hitbox on my opponent while blindly launching myself in a vulnerable fashion towards them to always hit, then I better at least have gotten better with Lucas's GOOD approach options. Using this technique offensively while turning a blind eye to his offensive techniques would be ignorant.

Agosta44

Smash Ace
Can we agree on "Zap Magnet" for a name? DC Jump was temporary anyhows.

Also, you can wall hug with the Wave Zap (Need to be angled like FD). I tried using the magnet to help the recovery, but 9 out of ten times it shoots you away from the edge instead of onto the stage.

You have to shoot your PK fire at the stage when wave zapping. You'll be able to get better positioning with this if your PKT2 wouldn't help you or you'd hit the bottom of the stage.

Top Bottom