• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Hardest Luigi Matchups (opinion)

Your Hardest Matchup?

• Doctor Mario

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Luigi

• Bowser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peach

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Yoshi

• DK

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • C. Falcon

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • Ganondorf

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Falco

Votes: 10 6.0%
  • Fox

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Ness

• Ice Climbers

• Kirby

• Samus

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Zelda

• Link

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Young Link

• Pichu

• Pikachu

• Jigglypuff

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Mewtwo

• Mr. Game&Watch

• Marth

Votes: 51 30.5%
  • Roy

• Sheik

Votes: 28 16.8%

• Total voters

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I'm bumping this.

Fox is easy to combo with Utilt/Nair/Uthrow. Uthrow to Chop. Utilt to Utilt to Utilt to Dsmash to Fair to wavedash to wobble on ledge to fall off stage to jump backwards to chop to Fox dead. Or Uthrow to Chop. Or unsweetspotted Nair to Fair/Dair. Or Utilt to Dsmash to Dair. You get the point.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Samus is impossible.

Her missiles only knock you farther away. And when you try to wavespotdodge to get inside her range? Dsmash.
The smaller the stage, the better you can do, but it's pretty doomed.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I can't check right now, but I believe Nair is equal priority with missiles? If you can get inside Samus with spot dodges and shields from wavedashes you can land a grab/launcher to start a combo.

Tian

Smash Apprentice
Hardest Matchup? Shiek.

As a far range user( I use Ness and Samus alot, i hate it when Shiek goes up to you and punches you till you die.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Oh my god. You are like, the third one. THIS POLL IS FOR HARDEST MATCHUPS... FOR LUIGI. *sigh* I'm gonna change the title.. This is not a general hardest matchup thread, its for Luigi guys..

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
It SHOULD be implied since it's in the Luigi boards....

also as far as the missles go I only seemed to cancel them when I naired as soon as the missle reached me.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
I remember now. Luigi's defense vs Missiles is the Tornado. Priority matches and the tornado will stop. From that you can either do another tornado to stop more missiles or if your close enough you can walk and Ftilt. Or just WD to some combo starter.

Peach is tough. I find Dair to work wonders vs her. Try Dthrow to chop. For that you have to tap the direction she DI'd so you turn around the jump to chop. Or you can just do Dthrow to backwards Dair. Uair works if she's above you. Chop if she is in front and at high %. But otherwise I suggest Dair and Ftilt and stuff.

nublet06

Smash Lord
yeah but im talking about really good people. Like Aftermath. hes got a pretty insane samus. or Edreese. pretty rigged peach. and ive only played a few links like DSF's and champs. but those matches were pretty hard as well.

all of those characters have projectiles that can be hard to deal with. and you can not combo samus at all.

CraK

Smash Rookie
I say Fox, only to say I have a hard time against shine-spiking. ;/

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Dthrow combos work pretty good. Luigi > Sheik in the air. Don't lose your second jump at high % or Fair will kill you. Fair/Dair/Nair combos/finishers are awesome. edgehog ftw

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
Marth is definitely tha hardest matchup for lui, its hard to get thru the swords range.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Sheild his sword then wavesheild into his range and grab into a combo. Stuff like that works vs Marth. Stay grounded and read ROFL's guide.

Sheik Prowless

Smash Cadet
i play luigi and i own marth players fox players sheik is hard but believe it or not NESS THE LOW TIER LOSER is a hard matchup for me this ness player is the best ive ever seen sny tips to completely DESTROY THEAT PAIN IN THE *** NESS pm thebestness HE IS AMAZING IF U NEED TIPS THAT IS

nublet06

Smash Lord
i got owned by a ness at MLG anaheim.....of course i sucked pretty bad back then, and it is one of the best ness players around (simna) but im willing to bet the match isnt too far from even if ness is played properly.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
Luigi is very hard for me to beat with fox because he can chaingrab him,keep him in the combos,hard to get rid of,hard to combo,low traction

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Luigi is very hard for me to beat with fox because he can chaingrab him,keep him in the combos,hard to get rid of,hard to combo,low traction

Fox can mess up Luigi just as well if you know how. Key words: if you know how. Most Fox players are helpless vs Luigi. The others absolutely pwn luigi.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord

Fox can mess up Luigi just as well if you know how. Key words: if you know how. Most Fox players are helpless vs Luigi. The others absolutely pwn luigi.
Indeed:)I've came up with a strategy to use luigi's traction to my advantage.I'll probably be facing Ka-master next week in a crew battle.East Washington vs Western Washington:)

wuthefwasthat

Smash Ace
i got owned by a ness at MLG anaheim.....of course i sucked pretty bad back then, and it is one of the best ness players around (simna) but im willing to bet the match isnt too far from even if ness is played properly.
ness is so underplayed. lol.
simna owns - but i would think the matchup is pretty even? not familiar with it though

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah I like playing vs Luigi as Falco. At my next tourney I'm gonna use Marth/Falco vs Luigi. Whichever works better by then. I also like using Luigi vs Falco though.. Fastfaller combos ftw!

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Ganon is tough. Although if you time your Uairs correctly you can outaerial him. Uair has the most range out of Luigi's aerials and comes out fast. You can hit Ganon while he has startup lag if you time it correctly..

Read ROFL's guide on vs. Marth.

nublet06

Smash Lord
my opinions on luigi.

Luigi does bad against.
zelda, sheik, samus, doc, link, ganon, jigglypuff (not in any special order just in general)

Luigi is close enough to even and it depends on skill and level choices.
Fox, falco, marth, falcon, peach.

luigi beats everyone else.

**special matchup** Ice climbers can infinite you 4 times and you would lose no matter what. so IMO IC cant really be compared with any character because of the wobbles. without the infinite tho....luigi ***** ice climbers. no johns.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Hmm...I don't think he does that bad against Link. Link's projectiles just aren't good enough to keep Luigi from getting to him. And that's like all Link has going for him in the match, besides like n-air out of shield. And we all know how well that KOs Luigi...<__<

Though I definately agree with Puff. Man I hate Jigglypuff. And Sheik...and Samus...wow.

Ultra Nova

Smash Apprentice
Shiek, marth and samus give me problems with luigi. Link not so much since I get alot of practice against a good link player. As long as you can get around his projectiles it's not too hard to defeat link.

nublet06

Smash Lord
the problem with link is....he is very heavy....and when he DI's luigis attacks well he will always go up. in big enough stages you can chop him above 100% and when he DI's up hes going to make it back anyway.

plus he has down throw to up tilt which works almost every time....and can juggle with up airs after that which is a pain but you can take a while to get out of.

i think luigis best chance of winning is gimping link when he needs to grapple on to the stage. but other than that.....he can out camp you....KO you faster....and just be annoying. i will admit its not that large of an advantage tho. Luigi has decent combos and is pretty fast.

yeah jigglypuff is stupid. i can 4 stock a jiggs and its still not fun. stupid match.

Dory..?

Smash Apprentice
Thats true. I get my Green Hat handed to me when I play ECEddie's Ganon lol. Maybe even a tougher match than marth, or just equal. Who voted for Falco? I always use Luigi vs. Falco cuz it cancels out their pillaring :p
well in my OWN opnion, and from the ganons ive played, its just a matter of playing smart, for example i Wd to spot dodge to avoid any trouble with ganon and if they miss their attack i'll either grab combo, uppercut(works the best for me), or whatever else i can think of at the time............i dont know for sure i just play luigi with a little more ground game than air....., my only real trouble is with samus, th edoubl emissle cancel ***** for recovery and combo's

Lixivium

Smash Champion
my opinions on luigi.

Luigi does bad against.
zelda, sheik, samus, doc, link, ganon, jigglypuff (not in any special order just in general)

Luigi is close enough to even and it depends on skill and level choices.
Fox, falco, marth, falcon, peach.

luigi beats everyone else.

**special matchup** Ice climbers can infinite you 4 times and you would lose no matter what. so IMO IC cant really be compared with any character because of the wobbles. without the infinite tho....luigi ***** ice climbers. no johns.
I'd put Doc in the "close enough to even" category. Doc's edgeguarding is a pain in the @$$, but otherwise I don't think he's too bad unless he plays super-homo-defensively, which is true of everybody.

Top Bottom