• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Air Release True Combos+Frame Traps

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Actually pretty recently I found that we have air release setups against certain characters. This is pretty cool news for us Yoshi mains.

Guaranteed Setups:

• Air Release > Dash attack on Sheik(This one is weird. There may be more this this because testing it has show it was true and was not true. There may be another situation to tie into this).
  • Air release edge of halberd platform(Not directly over edge) > Dash attack on fox.
  • Air release into delphino stairs > Dash attack on many characters.
  • Air release on very edge of a platform or floors like halberd and delphino that you can jump through > up air, nair and possibly back air(tested on sheik fox and greninja).
  • Air release on edge of halberd > up air greninja and fox.

Not fully tested setups:

• Air release on bottom platform of battlefield > up tilt, up smash or anything that would also be fast against fox sheik and greninja. Preferably Fox.
  • Air release on any platform > footstool
  • Air release > Dash attack greninja (frame perfect).

Keep in mind that if your doing the air release setups on the edges you must hold the direction to the middle of the stage before the grab or you will miss the follow up.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Erm, what exactly are you getting at here? Are these air releases? Stage specific? Location specific (apparently, but where?)?

You've got a lot to explain. =/

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
I remember on like, day 3 of 3DS release I was testing to see what grab releases carried over from Brawl and I thought we could still grab release to run off spike Fox/Falco and full hop spike Ness etc, at the same time I thought we had a air release into dash attack against Sheik but I haven't been able to get it since the Wii U version came out iirc, maybe the timing's really strict but Yoshi has so much cool-down after the air release so it seems pretty hard. :/

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I was trying this against Sheik but she could jump out every time. :< However Fox is more interesting. He miight be able to DJ airdodge away, but that input would be really difficult to pull off as the frame window would be 1 or 2 (if it works; hard to test). If they airdodge then it will set up an edgeguard situation. Lastly, if they attempt to DJ airdodge and airdodge too early (which would be the buffer window) the game will prioritize the airdodge. This is probably worth testing against other fast fallers. I'm guessing Grininja can side B out tho?

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Oh yeah I forgot about greninjas stun cancel. I feel like if he stun canceled it we could still do a follow up lol.

Anyways sheik cannot jump out of it. All you do is run and press down on c stick right after you can move again. I got it to run consistently with my yoshi so im pretty sure its not impossible. You just need to find the timing out yourself.

Also something else I found usefull is some characters NEED to jump to escape it and that can set up free follow ups because they wasted there jump.
Erm, what exactly are you getting at here? Are these air releases? Stage specific? Location specific (apparently, but where?)?

You've got a lot to explain. =/
Im guessing air releases? Its a grab release but characters go up in the air. On sheik it works anywhere as long as she dosnt land on a platform or off stage. For fox fox needs to land on the edge of FD so hes slightly off stage.

Also something else I found out for awhile is if you get a down throw and a platform disapears(halberd beginning and delphino) under you you can get a guaranteed follow up with any aerial. Its because the end lag gets canceled out when the platform disappears.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I would always think about grab air release near the ledge whenever they expend their doublejump. That way we could just run off ledge and go for a Fair setup or bait their airdodge.

There's also rare times my friend's Yoshi has dash grabbed me hanging on the ledge. It caught my attention but like I said, rarely happens.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Anyways sheik cannot jump out of it. All you do is run and press down on c stick right after you can move again. I got it to run consistently with my yoshi so im pretty sure its not impossible. You just need to find the timing out yourself.
Well I was buffering it in 1/4th (hold L) speed and tried it about 20 times. Pretty sure I had the timing right. :p

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Well I was buffering it in 1/4th (hold L) speed and tried it about 20 times. Pretty sure I had the timing right. :p
Well I tested It with real people and slower modes. Sheik shouldnt be jumping out

Edit: my wiiu is version 1.10 right now. I don't think anything changed though... right?

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
This is interesting. Ness when he gets air released seems like you can do some cool stuff safely/frame trap but not a true combo(dash into nair, dash into up smash). More testing needed but up smash is sooo close to become a true combo but I feel like this could make things tricky.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Even if we can't get anything guaranteed off of it it can leave the opponent in a bad position at the least, specifically frame traps and baits.
I don't suppose the momentum from a jump canceled upsmash from an air release would yield us any results...? Probably not but it's worth throwing it out there anyhow.

Last edited:

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Even if we can't get anything guaranteed off of it it can leave the opponent in a bad position at the least, specifically frame traps and baits.
I don't suppose the momentum from a jump canceled upsmash from an air release would yield us any results...? Probably not but it's worth throwing it out there anyhow.
Yeah. I was doing that and It looked like one of those jump or die situations. I really hope this gets in the meta because without a jump against yoshi is really risky for like everyone.

I noticed some of characters couldn't do anything but jump to get out and this just makes every thing just better. Especailly since sheik cannot get out.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
Found some interesting follow ups on characters like fox geninja and sheik (the ones who cannot move untill the touch or can jump slightly above the ground).
Im all for air release now btw.

*AR=air release
Safe options:
AR> sh fair
AR> egg toss
AR> run up nair

Almost guaranteed kill options:
AR>up smash or jc up smash
AR> perfect frame pivot side smash (just a frame off from being a true combo :( )
AR>regular perfect pivot into side smash ( this option is actually pretty safe)

Reading and punishing shielding after AR:

AR> run into down b
AR> down air
AR>SH uair into nair (this options is not that good tbh)

Options that work on almost everyone:

AR> Up smash(including techs)
AR> bait a aerial> shield or punish
AR> bait jump> follow up

None of these are true combos besidesAR dash attack on sheik but most of them are a few frames from being true combos.
AR> perfect pivot or perfect frame pivot is what im gonna work on now. It looks ridiculously good and is safe or almost a true combo.

YoHeKing

Smash Master
NNID
YoHeKing
3DS FC
1504-5702-2379
So I may have found more air release combos for sheik greninja and Fox.

Basically there air releases on the very edge of a platform so yoshi can slide off and get close(note make sure you pre buffer side). If you pull it off you should be able to up smash them or use other fast stuff like up air. Not to sure if it works on sheik tho.I found out it seems like a true combo on top platform with and up air.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
Do you think you could get footage of this?
It's seeming very good but visuals tend to help a lot.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
If yall wanna talk about silly grab release stuff, on Smashville if we grab sheik on the moving platform we get a free grab release upsmash

We should be able to do this on anyone who can't jump out of a grab release like fox, and a few who cut it close like shiek.

Edit: Ok i did a little testing and it works on Fox and Jiggly puff lmao

Last edited:

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
If yall wanna talk about silly grab release stuff, on Smashville if we grab sheik on the moving platform we get a free grab release upsmash

We should be able to do this on anyone who can't jump out of a grab release like fox, and a few who cut it close like shiek.

Edit: Ok i did a little testing and it works on Fox and Jiggly puff lmao.
How much landing lag is there after a grab release? It never seems like enough to follow up.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
How much landing lag is there after a grab release? It never seems like enough to follow up.
Maybe like a frame. Not all grab releases are created equal tho. Positioning is pretty important.

Basically the only thing that lets us combo off it is the sv plat positioning for us. For example, fox can't do anything until he lands, but when we do the Upsmash on the sv plat it hits him before he lands. They're all different I can't really think of a consistent rule after playing around with it.

CyanDucky

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cahitus

Edit: Ok i did a little testing and it works on Fox and Jiggly puff lmao
Do you follow up with a jump canceled upsmash or would a standing upsmash suffice? Also can Sheik/Fox DI from the grab release?

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Do you follow up with a jump canceled upsmash or would a standing upsmash suffice? Also can Sheik/Fox DI from the grab release?
You can't DI a grab release until you regain control, and just immediately upsmash in place. AGAIN i wanna stress the fact that this is on the SV platform ,you can't just do regularly.

Top Bottom