• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 Revive Another Franchise?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
The Smash Brothers Franchise is known to take obscure Nintendo franchises and cause a renewal to them. For Melee (in western areas) Fire Emblem was brought to the U.S. just because of Smash Brothers. For Brawl, the Kid Icarus series got a new game and a revival. Do you think Smash 4 will do the same thing? What Franchise do you think will be revived. Discuss.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
Hopefully F-Zero. I remember someone from Nintendo mentioning that they don't know how to improve the game, but all they really need to do is put in an online mode and it would be hype. Sure there were some other games for it past GX, but not that many people remember, let alone know about them, and one of which was only released in Japan.

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I don't really count FE as a revival, so... I honestly think Pit has been a special little case. I don't find it impossible that Smash 4 could revive another franchise, but so far I'm not seeing any candidates.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
While I don't think Golden Sun is dead, it would be an amazing boost for the franchise if Isaac got a slot. Same goes for the Chibi Robo series.

Speaking strictly about defunct franchises, it's hard to say really. We'd be assuming Little Mac isn't being treated as the golden oldie/blast from the past. Mega Man will probably benefit from this but it's harder to say when it's a third party.

If King K Rool got a slot it might encourage those developing the next game to have him as the villain.

D

Deleted member

We still haven't got our retro character, but now I'd say:

Mega Man.

Sorry but that's not happening. As much as I and probably everyone else would like to see another game of the Blue Bomber, Capcom just sees too much money to be made in nickle-and-diming their customers into buying the next Super Ultra Mega Deluxe KFC-Combo-Meal Street Fighter 4, and characters and costumes for their fighting games. What happened to you Capcom? You used to be cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
If anything: I'd love to see the a game that combines the feeling of Journey, with the survival aspect of the Last of Us.

Yes, I speak of Ice Climbers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Sorry but that's not happening. As much as I and probably everyone else would like to see another game of the Blue Bomber, Capcom just sees too much money to be made in nickle-and-diming their customers into buying the next Super Ultra Mega Deluxe KFC-Combo-Meal Street Fighter 4, and characters and costumes for their fighting games. What happened to you Capcom? You used to be cool.
Except Capcom are in SERIOUS financial debt right now because of their nickel-and-diming, and they are aware of it.

I seriously think they will sell Mega Man to Nintendo if he's popular in Smash. It'd be the big break both Capcom and Mega Man need.

Other than Mega Man, I'd hope Star Fox and F-Zero get some attention.

D

Deleted member

Except Capcom are in SERIOUS financial debt right now because of their nickel-and-diming, and they are aware of it.

I seriously think they will sell Mega Man to Nintendo if he's popular in Smash. It'd be the big break both Capcom and Mega Man need.

Other than Mega Man, I'd hope Star Fox and F-Zero get some attention.
I can see them selling the Mega Man IP to Nintendo, but it's questionable if it will actually happen. They might want to hold onto him as insurance if their financial situation gets worse than it already is. Also I want Nintendo to buy the Banjo-Kazooie IP.

On topic I would love to see a new Star Fox.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Star Fox, F-Zero, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Prince Sable, Donbe and Hikari, Advance Wars, Eternal Darkness or Costum Robo could use a boost.
.n_n.

Edit: Forgot about the Marvelous Trio - Dion, Jack and Max would be great to see them again with a type of game like Phoenix Wright or Professor Layton Series.

Last edited:

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
I have a feeling that at the very least, a new Metroid game will be revealed at E3, before Smash even comes out. Maybe even a Star Fox or F-Zero, to be honest. I know Nintendo doesn't communicate well with their fans, but they should at least realize the massive demand for a new game in these three series. As for the really retro games.....maybe. Ice Climbers could easily be made into an eShop title improving upon the original, for instance.

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
I would love to see what they could do with a new take on Ice Climbers.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
In terms of strictly a Kid Icarus style revival, it would most likely be Takamaru's series. He fits the mold to a T. Perhaps too well. It would also be the first major re-appearance of him in a long time (unless YOU played Samurai Warriors 3 for the Wii.)

Now there are other franchises that could use the boost, but they wouldn't get it from Smash. F-Zero & Star Fox both are wanted by the fans to return, but Nintendo is lost on how to make a new F-Zero (but we got Yoshi's New Island for the 3DS) and Star Fox is dead in the water because of the whole "On-Rails Shooter" issue as well as how to justify the price of a Star Fox game when they are low on gameplay hours and what not. It's a convoluted issue.

Golden Sun is another option for that might get a boost from a Smash Game as well as Advance Wars. Both have gone MIA and a character entry in Smash 4 would give them popularity again. But I have a strange feeling that they'll end up being relics of the 2000 decade.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Here for all the requests for an Ice Climber reboot. The fact they haven't hoped on that potential yet since Melee has nearly drove me to drinking many times.

Get it together Nintendo.

Also I don't know much about Takamaru, but he seems like a pretty cool guy I'd like to see more of.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea for an Ice Climbers game. It starts out with Popo and Nana farming vegetables at the base of the mountain when suddenly a massive blizzard sweeps over them. The IC you chose as your character (Only difference is gender) wakes up to not only find the place wrecked but their food, equipment and partner gone. As you go through the game you recover the Climber's lost equipment and after rescuing the other one, use teamwork to climb the mountain, get your food back and face down the evil at the peak.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I will be completely shocked if the Mysterious Murasame Castle doesn't get a reboot by the end of 2016 because of this game. I think Takamaru has more than a decent shot at becoming playable and the fact that multiple developers have already expressed interest in taking on the task shows that it's all a matter of when Nintendo actually pulls the trigger to get a project started.

Dairz

Smash Ace
A Punch Out reboot would be awesome. It would be cool to see it go more towards a Fight Night style direction.
Another Punch Out reboot? No thanks, a sequel will do just fine.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
A Punch Out reboot would be awesome. It would be cool to see it go more towards a Fight Night style direction.
Why do you want to ruin Punch Out?
It's like saying "I hope F-Zero gets rebooted, but this time it should be a simulating racing game, kinda like Gran Turismo.".

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Another Punch Out reboot? No thanks, a sequel will do just fine.
This. Punch-Out Wii was a perfect blend of reboot and remake that the series needed so there's no need for another one. From what I've seen, Nintendo's pretty good about that as a whole. Punch Out, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kid Icarus Uprising, Wario Land: Shake It, Pilot Wings Resort, etc were handled phenomenally well so if SSB4 does spur them to make some reboots, I think we'll be in for some more solid games.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
My ideas:

-Make a new Star Fox game, except that it's not an "on-rails shooter", it's free-roam in space! You're not on a fixed path, you can go wherever you want while evading and returning fire to Andross' forces once again. Make it through forces as you try to reach the end of a level without being shot down. Of course, you have Slippy, Falco and Peppy on your side. There still has to be an on-rails section now and again, but stay in space, just good ol' Arwing combat, not by foot.

-For F-Zero, make a new racing game with the cast of F-Zero X. Make the courses more intense, new racers, HD graphics! Not much is needed, but make a new F-Zero game!

-Ice Climbers, honestly, could even receive the New Super Mario Bros. treatment, but do more than just nostalgia pondering. Make it based off the original game, and have 2 player co-op to get to the top of the mountain and reclaim your vegetables. Once you beat the Condor, some clan of yetis (maybe even the Snowmads?) take the vegetables and spread them across the mountain range. Your goal is to make it to the top of each mountain and claim back your resources. A hunger meter could play into this, like Pikmin 3, where at the end of each level you eat a vegetable. Run out of vegetables, and it's game over for you. Of course, there's lives and such (with the Topis and Polar Bears attacking you) but you get the gist.

-MEGA MAN NEEDS A NEW HOME CONSOLE RELEASE.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly I don't see it happening.

I'm guessing Pit was a special case(and that Sakurai had an interest in creating a new vision of the KI world). Takamaru if he gets in won't necessarily get a reboot. I'm always confused by those who seem to think it's a sure thing that he will. Ice Climbers didn't get anything after Sakurai reminded millions they were a thing.

The only series currently in Smash I want to get a revival is F-Zero but Miyamoto says he can't work out what direction to take F-Zero. Would be easier to swallow if Mario Kart 8 didn't seem to take cues from this apparently impossible to innovate series.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
If Takamaru makes it in I think he might get the Pit treatment because it seems like Nintendo wants his series to be known again (as we can see with games like Nintendo Land)

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
If Takamaru makes it in I think he might get the Pit treatment because it seems like Nintendo wants his series to be known again (as we can see with games like Nintendo Land)
Just curious, was this intentional? If yes: what other games, apart from Nintendo Land, have there been recently that features Takamaru?

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Just curious, was this intentional? If yes: what other games, apart from Nintendo Land, have there been recently that features Takamaru?
That was probably by mistake but I do think he made a cameo in a dynasty warriors game. And to be fair they might throw his game in NES remix 3 haha X3

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Punch-Out Wii was perfect, don't ruin it.

Mach Rider will become a gritty post apocalyptic sandbox third person shooter, with Twisted Metal style vehicular combat added when traveling from the wreckages of one city to another.

...it could happen.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
No, Punch Out doesn't need another reboot. If anything, Next Level Games could make a sequel, but it doesn't need more than that.

However, if Takamaru is in, it's the perfect opportunity to reboot MMC, especially since he's been getting a minor renaissance lately, what with finally appearing overseas and all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's pretty clear that MMC is getting a reboot, and since Sakurai is looking into handhelds also, Prince Sable's franchise could be revived, it has too much potential that many here don't see.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Starfox

Same as 64, with an upgraded feel, Could have sections of on foot or tanks. But make multiplayer, or even gameplay, sort of like Gears of War. Have upgraded weapons all along the map. Ofcourse, in a space shooter the maps would need to be new.

Or or make it like Titanfall! Star Fox TitanFall ... good lord people they're sitting on a goldmine!

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
Starfox

Same as 64, with an upgraded feel, Could have sections of on foot or tanks. But make multiplayer, or even gameplay, sort of like Gears of War. Have upgraded weapons all along the map. Ofcourse, in a space shooter the maps would need to be new.

Or or make it like Titanfall! Star Fox TitanFall ... good lord people they're sitting on a goldmine!
I'd say Star Fox could be Nintendo's Rogue Squadron. Let Nintendo's Titanfall be a new IP (but definitely make one)

Top Bottom