• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who says Mega Man is bad?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
I was playing Ness and I came across a Mega Man in For Glory today. Either I really really suck or Mega Man actually isn't as bad as people say. None of my usual tactics worked on this guy. He seemed to know exactly where I'd be and what I'd do and had a counter for everything. I felt so helpless...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The whole "Megaman is bad" talk seems to have mostly died
down. People probably just took a glance at him and
thought "gimmick character" with no real future, like Olimar
in Brawl.

If he seemed to know what you were doing, that's
the player winning, not the character.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
It's because those people didn't take the time to learn about him and dismissed him after a few matches or their run through Classic Mode. Mega Man was deemed bad simply because he's a technical character that they couldn't just pick up and wreck people with in 10 minutes of play-time.

The exact same thing is going on with Palutena as well, and I just shake my head every time.

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Mega Man is pretty good. He's especially good when he can predict your movements (i.e. you were rolling constantly, leaving your movement options to only two spaces, roll forward or roll backward). All he had to do was place a hitbox where you'd end up, and since Mega Man has alot of projectile options, he puts himself at little risk.

I suggest approaching via powershielding rather than rolling.

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Rolling is a bad habit of mine that I've been trying to break, but it's really hard. It's just a reflexive action of mine. If I want to get away from someone, I feel safer rolling than just walking or running away. But it felt like wherever I went, he had something to make sure I got hit. In the air, he'd hit me with Metal Blade, f-air, b-air, or n-air. PK Fire was useless because he'd just interrupt me with his lemons. It felt like I was out of options, so I'd just play super defensively. I'd stop and watch to see what he did first. Obviously that didn't work either.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
you should try to use fair more in nuetral, im pretty sure the hitbox clears the pellets, and for me air approaches tend to work better against megaman for me,

also you should use more short hops, either empty to bait the shield or with fair/nair im not sure if you normally do but I didnt see you do alot of that

Last edited:

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Yeah, I usually short hop f-air/n-air more, but these weren't my only matches with him. When I tried before, it never seemed to work because he'd just counter with his own f-air, n-air, or Metal Blade.

SageEnder

Smash Cadet
NNID
carmLne
You should try to approach more with your shield and if he runs at you jump cancel into Nair,
Another option I Just started trying to incorporate into my game is short hop air dodge Into Nair,
With that you have an easy approach and have a hit box when you land which for the most part is lag less and beats grabs when you correctly buffer the Nair

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
As awesome as it is to suck up pellet, good Megas will bait you, and SH pellet will interrupt a lot of your movements. It's all a game of safely getting close to Mega and staying in a safe zone.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I wouldn't say you suck, just that you are rolling too often(one bad habit i share, honestly) and you didn't knew the matchup very well.
You did a lot better on the second match.

Not sure how i feel about MM vs Ness, i mean, MM can gimp ness easily since his edguard game is pretty good, but Ness has a lot of safer kill moves for when they are both at high percents(and don't get me started on that back throw...).

Last edited:

Asa

Smash Hero
MM gimp game definitely not on point lol

If you're careful to avoid bair and aren't reckless on his shield he has a hard time killing

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Mega man isn't bad he just has a bit of a learning curb. I've played against really good mega man players and they can pressure you so much with crash bombs and buzz saws.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
A couple things I noticed. WHY DO YOU ROLL IN FRONT OF MEGAMAN!? You are obviously going to get punished. Also, stop rolling so much, use it only for dodging, because rolling is NOT wavedashing and it DOESN'T help approach. Another thing is that you can use PSI Magnet to absorb Crash Bomb's explosion. Also, if you are on a distance and you are in a ground, you can jump/roll out of PSI Magnet if you absorb something. Also, don't abuse of B-Throw, use it only when necessary. Also, don't go outside of the stage against Megaman because he can spike you and gimp you with the knives, flame sword or rocket fist D-Air. He can also Leaf Shield gimp, so for edegeguarding use PKT. Very bold using PK Flash, but try not using unless you want to gamble with destiny. If i hits, it's a sure KO if he is a least 67%, if it doesn't hit your face will eat a lemon/ knife/flame sword. Be careful with PK Fire, because MM will obviously stay out of it's range and start a Metal Blade/Crash Bomb spam or hit your face with the knives/flame sword if you whiff it in front of him. I think you get how to punish Slide and Top spin. Hope this helps.

MM gimp game definitely not on point lol

If you're careful to avoid bair and aren't reckless on his shield he has a hard time killing
Have you seen his Leaf Shield/footstool gimp tech? That's Melee s*** with shine. It can kill anybody at 10% if you want. I think Charge Shot, Knives, the mentione LS gimps, Tornado roof kills, Rocket Fist, Flame Pillar at the edge say enough of MM's kill power.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
A couple things I noticed. WHY DO YOU ROLL IN FRONT OF MEGAMAN!? You are obviously going to get punished. Also, stop rolling so much, use it only for dodging, because rolling is NOT wavedashing and it DOESN'T help approach. Another thing is that you can use PSI Magnet to absorb Crash Bomb's explosion. Also, if you are on a distance and you are in a ground, you can jump/roll out of PSI Magnet if you absorb something. Also, don't abuse of B-Throw, use it only when necessary. Also, don't go outside of the stage against Megaman because he can spike you and gimp you with the knives, flame sword or rocket fist D-Air. He can also Leaf Shield gimp, so for edegeguarding use PKT. Very bold using PK Flash, but try not using unless you want to gamble with destiny. If i hits, it's a sure KO if he is a least 67%, if it doesn't hit your face will eat a lemon/ knife/flame sword. Be careful with PK Fire, because MM will obviously stay out of it's range and start a Metal Blade/Crash Bomb spam or hit your face with the knives/flame sword if you whiff it in front of him. I think you get how to punish Slide and Top spin. Hope this helps.

Have you seen his Leaf Shield/footstool gimp tech? That's Melee s*** with shine. It can kill anybody at 10% if you want. I think Charge Shot, Knives, the mentione LS gimps, Tornado roof kills, Rocket Fist, Flame Pillar at the edge say enough of MM's kill power.
Thanks this is very helpful. After I started taking your advice mega man has been less pesky. Thanks :)

Asa

Smash Hero
Leaf shield footstool is cute, yeah, albeit gimmicky. Does not kill anyone with a decent recovery at 10% lmao

Flame pillar should not be landing realistically.

Uair can be DI'd out of well enough to not die from it, especially if you aren't jumping out of it

Rocket fist is more viable but is pretty predictable.. Don't be in that range.

Bair, usmash, and occasional throws are the main kill options to be worried about with MM.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Leaf shield footstool is cute, yeah, albeit gimmicky. Does not kill anyone with a decent recovery at 10% lmao

Flame pillar should not be landing realistically.

Uair can be DI'd out of well enough to not die from it, especially if you aren't jumping out of it

Rocket fist is more viable but is pretty predictable.. Don't be in that range.

Bair, usmash, and occasional throws are the main kill options to be worried about with MM.
That's the thing tho, Ness is not in the group with the "decent recovery". Even if you miss the lefstool, by simply getting hit by the PK thunder when attempting that is enough to gimp Ness. It does not kill "anyone at 10%" but Ness is in the unfortunate group that it actually does.

Flame blast can only hit on hard reads so yeah, is not much of a kill option.

Uair is less of a kill and more of a way to keep the opponent on the air, then get them on their landing, at least for me. But it does kills sometimes specially if MM get's you high up in the screen so keep that in mind.

Hard knuckle is predictable but it still works. Most of the time i get my opponents off stage, i will throw some projectiles to force them to recover from below, cause in that scenario is very easy to hit.

You are right about MM having trouble killing since almost all his kill moves are unsafe, but off stage that's another story.

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
megaman is easy just reflect his stuff at him with bat, especially the charge shot smash

when he in the air hes probably gonna do fair flame sword or bair claw so shield it and punish him

also, keep in mind that every time you do an unnecessary roll and get punished for it you make sakurai cry

Asa

Smash Hero
You can also just uair knuckle while rising if you're in that situation.

Ness's recovery is just fine to handle mega mans gimping tools. If you're getting clocked by saw blade or knuckle, either your execution is not on point or you were simply read. His kill options get better offstage yes, but not significantly so

Top Bottom