• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

whats holding MM back from top tier?

SanAntonioSmasher

Smash Apprentice
From every tier list I have seen, mega man is right in the middle of mid-tier. Do you guys think this is accurate?

I have been looking for a main that works with my play style and I think MM might be it. I am just a little surprised he isn't at least high-mid tier. He seems like he has some of the best ledge guarding in the game, and has great range options with both his specials and attacks.

Does he struggle in the competitive scene from faster characters like ZSS, sonic, diddy, and yoshi who have better comboing potential, and they make it hard for him to keep some distance?

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
From every tier list I have seen, mega man is right in the middle of mid-tier. Do you guys think this is accurate?

I have been looking for a main that works with my play style and I think MM might be it. I am just a little surprised he isn't at least high-mid tier. He seems like he has some of the best ledge guarding in the game, and has great range options with both his specials and attacks.

Does he struggle in the competitive scene from faster characters like ZSS, sonic, diddy, and yoshi who have better comboing potential, and they make it hard for him to keep some distance?
I think a lot of it is just unfamiliarity with the character and what he can do. We're discovering new stuff on these boards pretty much every week and it takes a while to integrate all of these discoveries into a coherent playstyle. Even the best players I've seen in tournament videos often seem to forget multiple things he can do, like the Z1GMA upper and Leaf Shield momentum shifting tricks. It may be a while yet before Mega Man's meta fully develops and a dominant strategy emerges.

That said, I think that the biggest thing holding Mega Man back are his KO options. He isn't like Diddy or Ness in that he can just start fishing for a kill throw at 100+ percents, or Yoshi and Fox who can just throw out usmashes without too much worry of punishment. Except for bair and Danger Wrap, he has to really commit to his KO moves.

Of course, he's not the only character with that problem. Sheik and ZSS have a tough time sealing stocks too. So there's hope for him yet I think.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I could see Megaman becoming this game's Olimar. Like Olimar, people thought Megaman was complete garbage when the first playable demos came out but gradually became better and better over the span of years as more people gave him a chance and didn't just dismiss him because of glaring flaws (Olimar: crap recovery, Megaman: lack of reliable kill options). At least Megaman doesn't strike me as a "special snowflake character" and isn't someone who can easily be toppled once you figure out the playstyle or only wins matches thanks to unfamilarity with them. I don't know about top tier but I think he'll evolve as time goes on.

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Any character with mixup potential via MM's sticky bomb has potential for kill/high % combo's . His up smash is prety much garbage compared to his up tilt but he's still pretty beast. Same thing with Shulk. Give it a couploe months and you will see these two rise.

Kel

Smash Master
I never thought Megaman was bad. I'm not really sure where people get that from. He has everything I could want from a main character.

He has a couple trouble match ups, but other than that he's fine.

FatSlapper

Smash Rookie
It may just me but his metal blade can be tricky to use in a 45 degree angle in the air on the 3ds. And sometimes I'll walk and shoot pellets when I wanted to charge his fsmash...

I like his kill options, but I'm finding fast characters can close in and snuff most of mega mans up close melee game and give him a hard time trying to space.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I'm not seeing the "unreliable kill moves" stuff. They're more reliable than most of the cast. If you connect, they die. His attacks are pretty fast, and hit hard. He's not Sheik or ZSS. He's not Captain Falcon or DK either. Mega Man is OKAY at killing, which is more than serviceable.

Utilt is love being a frame 6 killer at ~85% (links from MB)
Usmash is frame 8 (a vastly underrated move due to utilt) killing at ~125, disjointed with long lasting hitboxes (frame 8-31) to beat spot dodge.
Fsmash has the great range & does work as a landing trap (killing 155% from center stage uncharged)
BAir is frame 4 and kills ~110% at the edge of the stage (and if it doesn't, edge guard)
UAir can get kills (the only move I'd call unreliable).
Hard read Dsmash (Frame 17) kills at 90% and lower w/charge.
And then 8 frame grab (10 frame dash grab and 11 frame pivot grab with great range) leads into Mr. Reliable Bthrow kills ~130% at the edge.
Compare that KO package to the majority of the cast. Speed & power are on Mega Man's side. What's not is end lag, which means you just have to be precise and pick your spots. End lag doesn't matter if you connect.

High commitment KO moves outside of bthrow and aerials are an issue, but unreliable isn't the right term for it. He has little KO pressure because the opponent knows you can't blindly throw out smash attacks like Yoshi or Fox can. However, the punish game is strong. If they want to play safe to avoid KO moves, let them and rack up %'s until Bthrow or Bair kills. Playing safe against Mega Man is playing into Mega Man's hand. The alternative is trying to bait KO moves, but that's not very safe at all.

Mega Man has multiple issues that keep him from being at the very top of the cast. However, he holds his own against the majority of the cast (especially with customs), and invalidates characters with great matchups which I can see him being top 15 when it's all said and done. At some point he'll hit top 8 because everyone will fall in love with all of the stuff he does well, but his weaknesses are built in and are unavoidable.

RE: tier placement right now. Some people don't even know that Mega Man can double jump after up-B. People think Usmash is a better killer than utilt. Mega Man is unconventional and will take some time for people to accept him as the amazing character we know he is.

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
I personally believe he's one of the few truly technical characters in Smash 4, meaning nobody is currently playing him close to peak potential. He's got a very steady neutral game with good mixups and the potential to punish extremely hard, and a very solid offstage game- He'll develop as the game ages no doubt.

Don't think Mega will ever be S tier but he might end up somewhere like Falcon in Melee, a really dangerous character hampered by bad matchups vs the highest tiers and by his own designed weaknesses. Historically Falcon was also underestimated until people discovered just how early and brutally he can kill.

However you gotta realize that tiers in Smash 4 mean less than they did in previous games. Matchups seem less polarizing, characters seem more viable across the board and there are no monster characters that dominate everything (especially if you compare Japan to NA/EU results)

This means that for anyone to bother giving a character a "nod" on the tier list, they need to be pretty obviously effective in a SIMPLE, RELIABLE manner that gives early tourney results and also influences popular opinion across the board. Plenty of characters I'd consider fully capable of taking a tourney are "low tier" in current tier lists. Viewing tiers as "effort needed to accomplish the same result" yields a pretty accurate representation of Megaman's current capability as a mid-tier pick.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Mega Man will be the best heavy character in the game going with how quickly he's evolving in a short span, even after discovering new tricks he still has huge potential(this is default MM custom is a whole different story).

Top tiers tend to be fast as hell i guess that's what's holding him back, honesty if we get frequent MM players dominanting tournaments like Boss did with Luigi we'll be having a huge wagoon for MM.

ArchmageMC

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I think the tier lists will end up like this eventually.

Mii Brawler
Diddy
Rosalina
Shulk
Captain Falcon
Megaman
Sonic
Shiek
Lucario
ZSS

for the top 10. Thats assuming no nerfs or anything. And even then, the top and bottom of the top 10 is so close its not even funny.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think between all the megaman players placing all over and Zucco's stellar performances, it is being made rather clear that Megaman is on the higher end of the balance spectrum.

He does have some issues, but anyone who still thinks this character is bad is buying too much into day 1 propaganda.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
It ticks me off when someone says Mega Man is bad....

He deserves top tier for these reasons:

1. Cause he's Mega Man

2. He is a tough nut to crack in 1-1

3. Leaf shield is extremely powerful if used correctly (check Dave's Leaf Shield guide)

4. You can get very creative with Mega Man. To the point where there is nearly unlimited possibilities.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I have noticed it is tough to finish players sometimes. I usually end up using one of his smashes to kill them (Dsmash, Usmash, or Fsmash). Sometimes I get their percent so high I just throw them out by the edge.

I think mega man can be higher on the tier list, he is such a unique character with such a variety of good moves. It is how you utilize all of his different attacks. The only attacks that are garbage I would say is his Dair.

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
I have noticed it is tough to finish players sometimes. I usually end up using one of his smashes to kill them (Dsmash, Usmash, or Fsmash). Sometimes I get their percent so high I just throw them out by the edge.
To set up kills you can throw them off the edge with B/F-Throw and then utilize B-Air/D-Air to gimp them.
It works pretty well. Gets more troublesome if you face someone like Sheik whos offstage game is good though.
It's also helpful to be able to do quick turn around B-Airs. Unlike F-Air it has less coverage, but the knockback is way better.
If you catch someone during during a jump or so with it at higher percents it's pretty much a kill.
You can also do Z1GMA Upper (or how it was called again). Jump, diagonal Metal Blade about 1 Char length away into Up-Tilt.

I think mega man can be higher on the tier list, he is such a unique character with such a variety of good moves. It is how you utilize all of his different attacks. The only attacks that are garbage I would say is his Dair.
D-Air can Auto-Cancel during a jump if done right (full hop, D-Air at about SH-height) and it's a pretty good meteor thanks to being disjointed.
It's a weird areal, but by no means bad.

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
True, it isn't bad it is just a much more situational move.

Top Bottom