• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What would you do if you owned Nintendo?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
For me:
  • Work with Sony to create the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 before splitting off from Sony and moving on to the Wii (this time with the same power as the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3)
  • Buy out Rare and let them do their own thing (within reason)
  • Market the Wii U as the Wii 2 and make it clear that it’s a new console
  • Be more open to working with the fans (within reason)
  • Open Nintendo Pictures in the mid-2000's and produce more anime series based on GBA games like Mario & Luigi and Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
  • Don't be afraid to use Unreal Engine 4 for Nintendo's first-party games once the Switch rolls around

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
make a zelda game based on celtic mythology. revive chibi-robo. and make too many toad games. mushroom kingdom warriors. an non mobile drgalia game

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Take another go at the love hotel industry.

Hire "this man."

Allow the competitive Smash scene to exist.

Implement better online.

More frequent, less expensive releases of older titles on the eShop. HD remasters can still happen alongside this.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Frankly all I'd really do is release some games on PC.

Put them in the hands of the fans who can "do it better" then focus on other things.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Definitely agree with pc releases. Perhaps id either release emulators or buyout existing ones & make all 1st party roms with no licensing issues available to purchase.

Id also take sonys approach & start releasing modern games on Steam as well but have them be console exclusive for a limited time to still encourage console sales (although i would prefer Xboxs approach of releasing it simultaneously i dont think it makes as much sense from a business perspective).

Also id try to support the modding & competitive community who keep more players coming back to your games even when official support has ended.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
  • Have the N64 and GameCube use CDs and regular DVDs respectively
  • Buy Rare and maybe Hudson
  • Don't abuse the copyright system
  • Give the Wii U more time in the oven and much better advertising
  • Keep Virtual Console on Switch
  • Add Bandana Dee to Sm4sh

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Only do two things: first set up both physical and virtual museums with all the behind-the-scenes material from every possible first party release going back to the Game and Watch titles. Arrange it so that going forward 10 years after a game's release its concept art, beta versions, and various development builds are shown off so that people outside the company can get a glimpse at how so many famous games were made. The Gigaleak times 100 essentially.

Secondly, establish with some international gaming preservation group that Nintendo titles will have as much game roms/engines stored and that they can be accessed by the public after an established amount of time (40 years to just throw a number out there).

Last edited:

txhy8

Smash Cadet
Be more open for Crossovers with our IPs in games like Multiversus and Brawlhalla stuff like that giving those 2 platform fighters Kirby in Brawhalla and Ash from Pokemon in Multiversus in particular

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Remaster Earthbound. Give it a full 3D remake updated with modern graphics.
Pokemon Stadium 3.

TheLastMaverickHunter

Smash Journeyman
Be more open for Crossovers with our IPs in games like Multiversus and Brawlhalla stuff like that giving those 2 platform fighters Kirby in Brawhalla and Ash from Pokemon in Multiversus in particular
Samus and Link were planned for Marvel Ultimate Alliance iirc, a shame it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Ace
I'd love to oversee the development of Mario Kart games and make suggestions for characters, tracks, and mechanics.

I'd also embrace competitive Smash and try to encourage all first party developers to not release games until their netcode is basically as perfect as it can be, which in the Switch's case is kind of not possible but once the next system rolls around they basically have no excuse.

Also, more Pikmin games. I'd love to contribute to their creative process as well.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
More time in the oven for Mario Sports games, as well as making them more… Mario.

Be more open with other smaller studios and letting them utilise dormant IPs if they want to give it a crack.
This is a big one for me. Ditch the add it later approaching entirely

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I know the response I originally posted here was taking the mick a little, mostly because I imagine a lot of my decisions would either be too opinionated, objectively terrible, or utterly ruinous for the state of the company in the long term.

That said, one utterly unrealistic thing I'd do (if in this situation) is create an official online Nintendo storefront (think akin to a combination of Steam and Virtual Console) accessible through the Nintendo website, from which you can buy ROMs of Nintendo titles released on older consoles (let's say up to the GBA/N64 at first.) Additionally, when purchasing the ROM, it'd come with high-quality scans of the game's box art and manual. And, ideally, you should also be able to download emulators with a simple user interface making the process of playing games easier for customers. Ditch the "virtual currency" nonsense they used for the Wii, and just have a (reasonably) flat rate for how much a ROM would cost based on the console it's for. Obviously there'd be issues with third parties, but a lot of them wouldn't mind selling their older stuff if they get a cut of the profits.

I don't think this would really be a feasible business decision anymore, considering the proliferation of third-party "collections" and the fact that NSO's virtual collection, while not well-liked by a lot of people, is probably still a pretty decent moneymaker for the company - not to mention how comparatively easy it'd be in the long term to make money from just rereleasing or remaking older games. Even so, it'd be something I'd love to see one day.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
In all seriousness, as others have said, backwards compatibility would be a huge priority, and also letting smaller studios work on IPs that Nintendo might not have the time or resources to work on. Obviously there would be some quality checking, I wouldn't just give any IP to any studio, but we've had some real success recently with stuff like the Advance Wars remake, Metroid Dread, even Bandai helping with Smash.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
For the Switch's successor, I would continue the hybrid console-handheld model, for all future consoles in the foreseeable future. Since people are so on the move these days, being able to have a portable option and not splitting your market in two like during the Wii U and 3DS era was a huge part of the Switch's success.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Stop of making Nintendo sues fan works

I know this looks like a joke,but...i can do it if i owned Nintendo
Nah, totally fair.

Another thing I thought of, and this is admittedly minor: in Japan, there’s a certain style of cosplay called kigurumi, where people dress up as characters from anime and video games. The difference between it and most mascot costumes is that kigurumi consists primarily of a human-shaped bodysuit and a mask and costume based on the characters. Sometimes the companies themselves get involved in this to promote their product in Japan, which is what I’d like to do for Fire Emblem Heroes promotional videos with Alfonse and Sharena.

DreamyMystX64

Smash Cadet
Premium
Under my Nintendo au goes as...

(keeping the Famicom branding even longer while also releasing overseas)
NES: Famicom
Super NES: Super Famicom
N64: Ultra Famicom
GC: Hyper Famicom
Wii: AIR Famicom
Wii U: (wouldn't exist in this timeline)
Switch: Switch

This timeline would also retain the NinSony partnership and the hardware would be disc based computers (hence the "Famicom" naming brand).

Top Bottom