• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What is a "good" player, really?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
^ This would fluctuate based upon how you view the hierarchy of skill.

This is my list:
1. Japanese
2. US Pros
3. State Ranked
4. Wifi player with solid understanding of the game
5. Knows a few techs
6. Doesn't know what recovery is

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Dunno if this has been stated but IMO a "good" player is someone who can actually enjoy the game without getting OVERLY competitive. You don't even have to be good in skill. As long as you have good sportsmanship then you're good in my book which is more than I can say for the cancer I encounter online...

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
That's a very good and specific ranking list. :bee:

I appreciate the advice but, I am not too offended by what this player has told me. Yes, he is a professional player (the top 2-3 of Puerto Rico) and he has been playing since the game came out while I started a little over a year ago. I just don't think he is correct when he thinks I am a n00b when there are much, much worse people out there.

@FoxBlaze71: I didn't call better olayers n00bs. It was an example.
Ok man, just here to say I play in Puerto Rico too. Look I mean to tell you those guys that call you noob, suck. They suck real bad. In Puerto Rico, there are only a handful of tourney good players. the best players all lay low. They don't participate in tournaments. One of my friends wrecked HDL, and Blazing. Guess what? he doesn't play tournament wise. My brother was quite close to doing so various times, and in some instances won as well. So the skill level here, pl-uh-ease. All of us suck, and the ones that don't suck are not recognized

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
@Sephy95
Yeah man, I main my Ganon, sometimes I wreck the good Fox, Falco, Marth and Sheik (ugh sheik oh god). And sometimes I get wrecked, and it's by those same "top" players.

@OP I have like 30-50% of winning, not good, but it's not horrible considering almost everyone that plays in my area are top tiers users. I defend myself well against them. I'm not recognized, my brother (which is even much better than me) isn't recognized, and some of my (really good) friends aren't either. We just go to tourneys, play friendlies, and wreck all the "top" guys while they rage quit and swear (gotta say I enjoy that last part). So hey next time somebody calls you noob, tell him "man I may be a noob, but damn you're nobody compared to real good players" and shut him/her up.

@FoxBlaze71

Use Shiek, pratice for 1 month, **** ;)
PS: we consider ourselves crap players too, gotta be humble you know.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I was referring to Brawl. On a scale from total scrub to Japanese pro, I'm only average in all smash games.

That's why I love stealth shooters - it takes patience and a steady hand - whereas fighting games are just two players making vicious charges at each other.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Ew Brawl, kinda bad game if you ask me. Anyway as for stealth, try Sniper Ghost Warrior, kinda bad in some sections but it isn't that bad at the end. (Oh it's in PC only if I remember correctly, sorry if you're console only)

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Brawl sucks, but I just don't enjoy Melee that much. IMO SSB64 was a fairly good mix of both games.

I mainly prefer older shooters. Games like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and the MGS series really got me into the genre, and it seems like FPSs today are all monotonous and they all feel pretty much the same. Generic army shooter here, generic horror shooter here, it feels like bull****. How have the days gone by where developers had creativity?

Then again, I'm steering off topic.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I wrote off Shooters after COD4, all after that is crap. I loved Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for 64. I'd suggest playing Turok if you haven't (the 64 ones).

As for SSB god it was the best one, nuff' said.

On topic: Now that I think about 64, God, Isai. Was there even a tier list, good player, n00b player or any of the sort when you were playing against him? Everything was lulzy

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
If one ever had to fight Isai, he may as well forfeit. If a 64 video doesn't have Isai in it, you just feel the obvious need for him to **** somebody. LOL at the YT comments on his videos....

On another off-topic note, I loved the Turok series as well. Rage Wars FTW. The N64 was a platform for some....interesting shooters, xD.http://www.gamespot.com/games.html?category=First-Person+Shooters&platform=4

The N64 pretty much showcased the good, the bad, and the ugly of the shooter genre....

And yes, I know you're thinking "WTF! Seeds of Evil was way better!" Maybe by most standards, but me and my brother played Rage Wars for hours on end when I was younger. I had many more memories with Rage Wars.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I just loved Turok for how over the top it was while maintaining a sense of good gameplay (along with that uber difficulty :urg: ) But I really just liked all of them.

On Topic:

@ OP

Dude, one my frieds that I told you that beat HDL, Blazing, blah blah blah, his Smash pseudonym is Maximuspita and Mizu. He has some vids on youtube but they're old as **** if you want to watch them

Sephy95

Smash Lord
Brawl sucks, but I just don't enjoy Melee that much. IMO SSB64 was a fairly good mix of both games.

I mainly prefer older shooters. Games like Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and the MGS series really got me into the genre, and it seems like FPSs today are all monotonous and they all feel pretty much the same. Generic army shooter here, generic horror shooter here, it feels like bull****. How have the days gone by where developers had creativity?

Then again, I'm steering off topic.
My respect for you went up +10, Smallpox.

Anyways guise, if you wanna discuss shooters go to the Lighthouse.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
My respect for you went up +10, Smallpox.

Anyways guise, if you wanna discuss shooters go to the Lighthouse.
Goddamnit. I get stuck with FuxBlaze, CoxBlaze, SmallpoxBlaze, and I still can't figure out a way to **** with Sephy. :grrr:

Really, to give some kind of humanity-benefiting, pithy, unnecessary summing-up statement, being good means knowing how much you suck.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Everyone else? IDK these boards get more and more dead by the week. I miss the social. :(

Me, Kaazers, and David are the only ones I can say are really consistently active around here anymore. I doubt anyone but me even checks back on these forums daily.

Jeyfar

Smash Apprentice
): I check them daily, it's like say... my facebook but without the drama and private info leaking. But I do wish the boards were really more active.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
I really meant this subforum, but it's not like SWF as a whole is that active either.

D

Deleted member 189823

Thanks again, guys.

Hey, Jeyfar, do you know a player that goes by the tag of "S@NT"? He's a Puerto Rican player, I think you should.

Top Bottom