• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What if...

T0MMY

Smash Master
I'd like to get Brawl players who main R.O.B. to provide some opinion to a scenario regarding transitioning to the next Smash game (SSB4 for the WiiU & 3DS).

I, like many of you, have probably given some thought about what happens if R.O.B. does not make the roster of SSB4. What is a R.O.B. main to do?

Who did you play in Brawl first before you unlocked R.O.B.?
Did you switch to R.O.B. after maining a previous character?
Would you say there is more of a chance he is going to make it back for another Smash or not?
As of right now R.O.B. is not confirmed; who would you play that is confirmed now (updates can be made as new characters are revealed)?
Would there be any reason why you would not main R.O.B. in SSB4 even if he were to return?
Would you prefer he does not return for any reason?

As to my own opinion I'd like to see him return. I'd also like to see more connection with the Ancient Minister, my favorite character in the Subspace story. R.O.B. having an option to select his Ancient Minister costume would be most excellent, always wanting to play as AM I'd totally sport that every time I'd play R.O.B.

If R.O.B. does not return... well, I wouldn't have a difficult time playing another character. Afterall, I was the main Pichu player in Melee and was actually kind of thankful Pichu didn't make it back because no matter how adorable he was, he was absolutely frustrating to play competitively, haha.
I've played Pokemon primarilly since I've been a Pokebrat since Red/Blue. I started off playing Pichu in the Brawl demo and until I got R.O.B. unlocked (played a bit of Sheik too because ninja girls are too cute).

One character that could keep me from maining R.O.B. is Knuckle Joe. I've loved Kirby games and I'd play Knuckle Joe in Superstar while t1mmy played Kirby (although I played Meta Knight in later Kirby games when available).

There might be a couple other characters that could keep me from playing R.O.B. in SSB4, but totally hoping for R.O.B. to come back (and hopefully with a different Side Special move, haha).

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hi, t0mmy! <3

Fox. I mained Fox in melee but I knew I was just waiting until I had R.O.B. unlocked. Due to how cute he looked in gameplay videos prior to the NTSC release.

Nahhh
2008 - Forever

Would you say there is more of a chance he is going to make it back for another Smash or not?
I like preparing for the worst so that I don't get too let down or thrown off guard by things. It's just how I prepare for life. Don't get me wrong, I am a very optimistic person as some may vouch for my R.O.B. play, but just in case, I'm going to say he isn't because many people don't appreciate or even know R.O.B.'s significance in video game history so they really aren't anticipating him for future games.

As of right now R.O.B. is not confirmed; who would you play that is confirmed now (updates can be made as new characters are revealed)?
Wii Fit Trainer maybe. She's fast and if there's a significant amount of more hit stun, she will probably be good at comboing. Something I've been anxious about for far too long.

Would there be any reason why you would not main R.O.B. in SSB4 even if he were to return?
If he's an entirely different character. I play a technical style R.O.B. I'm just not a campy player. I do it when I have to, but I prefer a fast paced fight, even with R.O.B. I think he's more than capable of that in Brawl so I don't want him to lose that aspect about him.

If he's super bad, I hope he doesn't return because I would be very tempted to play him.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Cool, I didn't know you mained Fox in Melee.
And Wii Fit Trainer looks pretty cool, I love the Yoga moves.

That is a good point, I hope R.O.B. doesn't come back super low-tier or something. I hope the "faster" gameplay of SSB4 would treat him well and he'd give those Mega Man players a whoopin' bwhahaha ([^^]

dettadeus

Smash Lord
I generally stuck to Pokemon Trainer IIRC. He's the first character I have memory of using in Brawl (some Anime Wasabi tournament back in 2008 right after the game came out, before I had a chance to buy it myself). I was originally really excited about Meta Knight but hated how he played when I tried him (long before I became competitive).
I didn't go competitive until long after I started only playing R.O.B., and continued to use solo R.O.B. in tournament for a few months after I entered the scene (had to find a new character to deal with Dedede, which led me to use Ice Climbers until recently).
Out of personal bias I think he should come back. Without R.O.B. we likely wouldn't have video games as they are today, and he fits Sakurai's character criteria really well (does things no other character does, unique design, etc). However, most of his cameos have been one-time things, like in Kirby, Pikmin and Mario Kart, so I could see his Brawl appearance being a one-time thing as well.
Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Kirby and Pikachu. Maybe Olimar.
I'd probably still play him even if he got a massive moveset revamp, visual design overhaul, etc. I think I'd only not main main R.O.B. if some other character was added who I wanted even more (Drifloon for Smash4?)
Nope. Definitely want him to return.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Who did you play in Brawl first before you unlocked R.O.B.? - Fox, Ike, Lucario

Did you switch to R.O.B. after maining a previous character? - Mainly mained Fox before turning to ROB

Would you say there is more of a chance he is going to make it back for another Smash or not? - Gonna say he won't make it back

who would you play that is confirmed now (updates can be made as new characters are revealed)? - Wii Fit Trainer

Would there be any reason why you would not main R.O.B. in SSB4 even if he were to return? - Depends on the game engine

Would you prefer he does not return for any reason? - Nah man, ROB's our boy. The only other person who could be my boy is Roy.

Pretty sure I played Sonic the most.

I never really had a dedicated main but after discovering Smashboards and somehow gravitating to the ROB boards I began maining him.

I want to believe but deep down I almost know he's not.

Wii Fit Trainer, since she kind of fits into ROB's archetype and looks like she'll have a neat playstyle.

Ha ha.

HA HA HA

Top Bottom