• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Game & Watch's non-reveal reveal could...reveal...to us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I thought it was very interesting that even after revealing Mr Game & Watch at the end of the Pac Man trailer, he still was not listed as a playable character on the official website. This got me thinking about how during Brawl, 0 hidden characters were announced before the game was released, with the exception of 3rd parties. Even after the game was launched, the hidden characters only appeared on the site behind a question mark box and a pop-up warning that clicking that link would take you to a page containing spoilers. I think with Mr Game and Watch not being added to the website, despite being shown in the trailer, points to the same thing happening here: no unlockable characters will be revealed prior to the game's release. Does this gives a small number of hope back to supporters of Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, and the like.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I thought it was very interesting that even after revealing Mr Game & Watch at the end of the Pac Man trailer, he still was not listed as a playable character on the official website. This got me thinking about how during Brawl, 0 hidden characters were announced before the game was released, with the exception of 3rd parties. Even after the game was launched, the hidden characters only appeared on the site behind a question mark box and a pop-up warning that clicking that link would take you to a page containing spoilers. I think with Mr Game and Watch not being added to the website, despite being shown in the trailer, points to the same thing happening here: no unlockable characters will be revealed prior to the game's release. Does this gives a small number of hope back to supporters of Ridley, K Rool, Mewtwo, and the like.
1st of all, love your sig
2nd of all, they did not flat out say "oh, News Flash, G&W is in smash." They just mentioned him as a sort of trivia thing. We know he'll be back, but until Sakurai says "G&W is a fighter," we may keep assuming.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sheriff deconfirmed. They made a big deal about how Pac-Man and Mr. Game & Watch are the oldest characters in Smash... older than Mario and Donkey Kong. Well, Sheriff is older than everyone.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Sheriff deconfirmed. They made a big deal about how Pac-Man and Mr. Game & Watch are the oldest characters in Smash... older than Mario and Donkey Kong. Well, Sheriff is older than everyone.
Or they do the year thing again. YEAR ENVY WAR!

I think characters are being revealed regardless of their availability status, this time. Luigi's first Pic of the Day caption made it sound like he's still a hidden character despite the early announcement. Our boy Masahiro has openly talked about working on Captain Falcon. Maybe he doesn't care for keeping secrets anymore, since the Internet will ruin his attempts at secrecy lickity-split.

Anyway, while I fully expect G&W to return, his comedic appearance in Pac-Man's trailer was non-gameplay and thus doesn't confirm or deny him.

domokl

Smash Lord
Did people really think he was getting in over takamaru mach rider and duck hunt dog?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Game and Watch...

I thought it confirmed him. Yet the 'passing the torch thing' freaks my heart out a little tiny bit.
I certainly do hope he is in, he should be enough of a 'given' that it is no question. I agree, he is an unlockable and thus he will not be shown

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
I had the best idea. What if they're saving G&W so they can reveal him alongside the new retro character whether that be Takamaru/Mach Rider/Dunk hunt Dog/LIP!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I had the best idea. What if they're saving G&W so they can reveal him alongside the new retro character whether that be Takamaru/Mach Rider/Dunk hunt Dog/LIP!
They could show Takamaru with Pit, Link, and Samus since they were all from 1986.

They could show Duck Hunt Dog with Little Mac since they were from 1984... OR show Duck Hunt Dog with R.O.B. since their peripherals and games were bundled with the NES.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am not sure if making characters like Ridley and K. Rool secrets/unlockable is stupid or a genius move. I mean, revealing them before could push people to buy the games (like you or not, the roster is what matters the most for the majority of players, not mechanics and buzzwords). On other hand, leaving them as unlockables would be a great move. Can you imagine the surprise of having one of those two characters suddenly appearing as a "challenger" after you beat the game? Although even if they are unlockable, there will be no surprise for us in the west, since the 3DS game will be released one month earlier in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom