• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What evidence is there of Luigification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To the uninitiated, to Luigify a clone is to make them different to their original, i.e. like how Luigi became more different from Mario between 64 and Melee.

IMPORTANT: For the purposes of this thread Ike is considered a highly Luigified clone of Marth/Roy. Same goes for Wolf. (Point out the different normals all you want, he still has a damn Landmaster.)

So far what changes have we seen? We haven't seen many of the character/clone pairs return but so far additional changes from Brawl are

Mario/Luigi
* Luigi has a new jump animation

Link/Toon Link
* Toon Link's Spina ttack has the green trail from Wind Waker
* Link has new dash attack.

Marth/Ike
* Ike got Buff.

Of the unconfirmed veterans that once were clones we are still waiting for C. Falcon/Ganondorf, Ness/Lucas and Falco/Wolf.

Any changes I missed?

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I see how Wolf is considered a semi-clone, but not Ike. Oh well.

Luigi doesn't just have a new jump animation, he has a flutter jump.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Marth and Ike aren't clones.
What part of "FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS THREAD" goes over peoples heads? Ike is certainly less of a clone than Wolf is though. I won't consider Wolf anythign but a Semi-Clone until he gets new specials or his own Damn Final Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
For the purpose of the thread or not, Ike and Marth aren't similar enough to be called semi-clones.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Eh, guess I'll play along. Link has a new dash attack and a zelda styled backflip. Not sure if Toon Link has been given that as well but if not. Those are two additional changes for the two...

Last edited:

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Honestly I think as long as Sakurai makes Smash Bros Toon Link will always be a clone of Link, just faster and weaker.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
Honestly I think as long as Sakurai makes Smash Bros Toon Link will always be a clone of Link, just faster and weaker.
Agreed, unless he finally realizes that Tink can indeed be his own character and have the similarity of link being solely that he carries a sword

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I personally feel Link should really be getting more changes than Toon Link. So I'm liking that they are concentrating more on Link so far. :/

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Agreed, unless he finally realizes that Tink can indeed be his own character and have the similarity of link being solely that he carries a sword
I wish Toon Link at least had different B moves like the ****ing Deku Leaf for an up special!

L2 Sentinel

Smash Apprentice
"For the purposes of this thread" or not, we can't really discuss Ike being Luigified from Marth when he never had enough in common with Marth to be considered a clone in the first place. It'd be like me inquiring about the ways Charizard is becoming Luigified from Bowser, claiming that Charizard is a "highly Luigified" clone of Bowser because they both breathe fire. The premise is flawed.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
"For the purposes of this thread" or not, we can't really discuss Ike being Luigified from Marth when he never had enough in common with Marth to be considered a clone in the first place. It'd be like me inquiring about the ways Charizard is becoming Luigified from Bowser, claiming that Charizard is a "highly Luigified" clone of Bowser because they both breath fire. The premise is flawed.
Ike and Marth do share 3 of the same specials but use them each differently to keep them distinguished and different. Ike isn't anything like Roy compared to Marth, agreed. Its like what could have been Roy was luigified over for Ike instead, as well as making him heavier and harder hitting.

Overall, I will agree Ike wasn't luigified but "Roy" was. To say Ike was born a unique fighter when he's only carrying the torch of Roy is something else. (I'm sure I'll catch some flack for saying this, but I find it true.)

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
We should consider Fox and Falco... Yes, I know Falco is not confirmed yet, but he should be soon. Maybe at E3.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Link's up A is also different now.

D

Deleted member

Ike and Marth do share 3 of the same specials
Three?
I'll give you counter, but seriously? Quickdraw =/= Dancing Blade, Eruption =/= Shield Breaker, and Aether =/= Dolphin Slash.

Then again, I don't consider Link and Toon Link clones because you could literally give two characters the same moveset with the same damage/knockback angle and then change one attack and I'd consider them different characters.

Burigu

Smash Ace
What part of "FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS THREAD" goes over peoples heads? Ike is certainly less of a clone than Wolf is though. I won't consider Wolf anythign but a Semi-Clone until he gets new specials or his own Damn Final Smash.
Maybe if you explain to people why "For the purposes of this thread" considering Ike a semiclone of Marth HELPS the discussion of the thread?
Honestly I don't see how Ike can be seen as a clone of Marth even for the sake of mantaining this discussion,
  • They don't play the same
  • They don't have the same moves
  • They don't have the same FS
  • Their moves don't even "look alike"
  • and more importantly Ike was never a clone or semiclone of Marth the only real move they share is Counter.
You can't expect people to agree with you if you don't give them a reason and there is no reason to say Ike is a "heavy Luigificated" character of Marth. Ike is as similar to Marth as Pikachu to Lucario.

So if your idea is to mantain a discussion of Luigification try at least to mantain it TRUE to the meaning of Luigification, and not adding characters to this thread just for the sake of having more variety or mantaining the disscusion going around

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I consider Marth/Ike a Luigification.

Roy evolved into Ike. :troll:

Morbi

Scavenger
Maybe if you explain to people why "For the purposes of this thread" considering Ike a semiclone of Marth HELPS the discussion of the thread?
Honestly I don't see how Ike can be seen as a clone of Marth even for the sake of mantaining this discussion,
  • They don't play the same
  • They don't have the same moves
  • They don't have the same FS
  • Their moves don't even "look alike"
  • and more importantly Ike was never a clone or semiclone of Marth the only real move they share is Counter.
You can't expect people to agree with you if you don't give them a reason and there is no reason to say Ike is a "heavy Luigificated" character of Marth. Ike is as similar to Marth as Pikachu to Lucario.

So if your idea is to mantain a discussion of Luigification try at least to mantain it TRUE to the meaning of Luigification, and not adding characters to this thread just for the sake of having more variety or mantaining the disscusion going around
I agree with this sentiment; there is no way Ike is a "luigification" of Marth. I mean, hypothetically speaking anyone could be a "luigified" version of anyone if this is one of the primary examples.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
To the uninitiated, to Luigify a clone is to make them different to their original, i.e. like how Luigi became more different from Mario between 64 and Melee.

IMPORTANT: For the purposes of this thread Ike is considered a highly Luigified clone of Marth/Roy. Same goes for Wolf. (Point out the different normals all you want, he still has a damn Landmaster.)

So far what changes have we seen? We haven't seen many of the character/clone pairs return but so far additional changes from Brawl are

Mario/Luigi
* Luigi has a new jump animation

Link/Toon Link
* Toon Link's Spina ttack has the green trail from Wind Waker
* Link has new dash attack.

Marth/Ike
* Ike got Buff.

Of the unconfirmed veterans that once were clones we are still waiting for C. Falcon/Ganondorf, Ness/Lucas and Falco/Wolf.

Any changes I missed?
Wolf isn't a clone -_- Ike isn't really one either. I mean they have some similar moves, but they are more like quarter clones.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wolf isn't a clone -_- Ike isn't really one either. I mean they have some similar moves, but they are more like quarter clones.
Ike I can understand to not be a clone. He has two special moves in common and you can see how he came from Marth but has a completely different final smash and recovery specials. Wolf has different standard attacks but his specials are LASER, SIDE DASH, STALL THEN BLAST and REFLECTOR. Even ignoring the space-tank in the room, he isw obviously derived from Fox. He's less of a clone than Falco but he isn't his own thing.

Wolf is one of my mains but he's a Semi-Clone. Though if the gamme has to have any new clones, they should be done more like Wolf than Lucas.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Ike I can understand to not be a clone. He has two special moves in common and you can see how he came from Marth but has a completely different final smash and recovery specials. Wolf has different standard attacks but his specials are LASER, SIDE DASH, STALL THEN BLAST and REFLECTOR. Even ignoring the space-tank in the room, he isw obviously derived from Fox. He's less of a clone than Falco but he isn't his own thing.

Wolf is one of my mains but he's a Semi-Clone. Though if the gamme has to have any new clones, they should be done more like Wolf than Lucas.
The most that Wolf shares with Fox is reflector and up-special. His side special is different and his laser is very different. Not to mention he has different movements, A moves, main weapon, aerials. True all of his specials resemble Fox's in some way, but they are not similar enough to give him any type of clone title.

Burigu

Smash Ace

What TWO SPECIAL MOVES? so you count eruption and shield breaker as the same move because they can be charged? their side special are also different and their up specials are also different. Like I said in my previous post which you decided to ignore their only share down special Counter!

You made this thread and don't even appear to understand the meaning of LUIGIFICATION, which is CLONE characters BEING DECLONED, IKE WAS NEVER A CLONE OF MARTH HE IS NOT ROY.

So the only characters that FIT LUIGIFICATION are:
Link - Toon Link
Fox - Falco
Mario - Luigi
Captain Falcon - Ganondorf

Characters that would be candidates for LUIGIFICATION if still playable
Mario - Dr Mario
Pikachu - Pichu
Marth - Roy
Link - Young Link

IKE was NEVER A CLONE OF MARTH NEVER EVER so he doesn't fit with the concept of LUIGIFICATION. NOT HEAVY not light there is not any Luigification between the two.

I asume that you say they "share" their normal B special as I said before Shield breaker and Eruption ARE NOT the same move, by your logic
Pikachu and Luigi fits "heavy Luigification" because Skull Bash and Green Missile are side B with similar properties
Yoshi and Bowser fit as well because their B DOWN works in similar ways
Mario and Fox have similar B down Cape and Reflector so they fit "heavy luigification"?

I don't want to antagonize you or something but you are clearly wrong, if this thread really wants to talk about Luigification let's talk about characters that actually are affected by this, characters that were never clones can't fit with this concept

Luigification clone characters being decloned, period.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
I hope they Luigify Jiggilypuff from Kirby. It was so trashy and cloneish how she had more than two jumps. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom