• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Do You Think Should Be Explored More?

What do you think should be explored more?

• Total voters

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Jigglypuff right now is considered bottom tier, and within maybe the top 5 worst characters in the game. Though many of us agree our pink hero definitely can be much better than that, there are a few valid answers why. Though some things below aren't true, it's what's keeping is down on the tier list.

She's not getting buffs! No reliable kill options! No setups! No combos! No Neutral! She has like so many worthless moves! No options! Lag! No custom moves! Awful Matchups!
Etc.

Jigglypuff actually does have setups, combos, and kills, and not too bad MUs, but the list does truly say she's underdeveloped or isn't keeping up with the meta like other chatacters. She could definitely be explored more!!

So what do you guys think we shoudo explore right now? Elaborate and please don't exclusively vote. You get 4 votes.

GreenMonkey

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3411-4102-3196
Ooh I have a few suggestions for Puffy~ :b:

I think her main problems dwell heavily on range and hitboxes. Her attacks, while lacking disjointed hitboxes, also have very minimum range. Take U-tilt and F-tilt for example. Puffy's legs don't extend very far from her body, they have relative low knockback, and can be hurt during the attack. :c

Puff's F-air and B-air have lots and range and kill-power, and I think that they're fine as is, but she really want more attacks to have more range. Disjointed hitboxes will be nice, too.

She also wants better throws~ Changing D-throw to have less knockback can maybe let her follow up with a F-air, N-air, of U-air after it. A combo throw is what she truly needs, since right now she has neither a good combo throw or a reliable kill throw, leaving her grab game mediocre at best. :(

... and even though this may be a bit far-fetched, but I would like something like U-tilt -> Rest kill or any other consistent set-up for a kill~ :p

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I think honestly the Matchups themselves are probably the most important thing to focus on, as we pretty much need to know the opponent better than we know puff at this point.

The Bait & Punish game actually has a lot of possibilities to exploit as well due to puff's air mobility, as since we don't have a lot of consistent combos, we could hit and then chase, and potentially have many options to bait out a reaction and then punish it when we can't directly combo into another attack.

obviously B&P and approach tie in together, and approaching is something puff often has trouble with.

And of course defensive options for living longer, it's not uncommon for a puff to survive up to 160%+ if they can avoid the attacks that actually kill puff, and rest itself can be used as a defensive option in many cases. I personally think mastering every single instance where you can use Rest instead of shielding/dodging would do a lot for puff's game, and this once again ties into the MUs.

So all 4 of these are connected.

I've actually used the Bait & Punish in a "combo" before a few times, carrying the opponent from one side of the stage to the other and throwing them in the air, baiting/conditioning them into think I'm going to approach and do another aerial, but instead landing, so the move they throw out to stop me misses, they land on me and eat a rest.

Last edited:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I think honestly the Matchups themselves are probably the most important thing to focus on, as we pretty much need to know the opponent better than we know puff at this point.

The Bait & Punish game actually has a lot of possibilities to exploit as well due to puff's air mobility, as since we don't have a lot of consistent combos, we could hit and then chase, and potentially have many options to bait out a reaction and then punish it when we can't directly combo into another attack.

obviously B&P and approach tie in together, and approaching is something puff often has trouble with.

And of course defensive options for living longer, it's not uncommon for a puff to survive up to 160%+ if they can avoid the attacks that actually kill puff, and rest itself can be used as a defensive option in many cases. I personally think mastering every single instance where you can use Rest instead of shielding/dodging would do a lot for puff's game, and this once again ties into the MUs.

So all 4 of these are connected.

I've actually used the Bait & Punish in a "combo" before a few times, carrying the opponent from one side of the stage to the other and throwing them in the air, baiting/conditioning them into think I'm going to approach and do another aerial, but instead landing, so the move they throw out to stop me misses, they land on me and eat a rest.
The Neutral. I think since those four things tie together to the basics of the Neutral I'll take off basic neutral. Nice thinking!

EDIT: I can't. Oops.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
The Neutral. I think since those four things tie together to the basics of the Neutral I'll take off basic neutral. Nice thinking!

EDIT: I can't. Oops.
True enough, most of those things all apply to the neutral, but also apply to what happens when you're no longer in the neutral.

Kojii

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Afrooooo
3DS FC
1650-1652-7604
My dream is to optimise puff to the meta knight level of punish game.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
The main issue with Jigglypuff is her weight and lack of disjointed moves; the two are related. Jigglypuff should have more reach for being such a light character. I have no problem with Jigglypuff being extremely light. We should have a problem with Jigglypuff being light and being forced to wade into the closest possible area to punish or approach. When people complain that "Oh, that Jigglypuff is soooooo campy", I actually think "Oh, that Jigglypuff really wants to live." I think the main thing that should be focused on is the bait and punish portion of her gameplay which relates to knowing our matchups.

Knowing the character is one thing. Just like characters like Ike or Ganondorf, knowing the actual opponent is much more important. When we learn habits, we learn how to take advantage of the opponent rather than that character's base weakness. Because of the lack of reach, we don't want to approach aggressively. We want to stab and poke (which is possible given her great air speed and air acceleration) and when the opponent is open, then we strike with no mercy. How we go about doing it is based on how we read the opponent and what they're doing.

FoxwolfJackson

Smash Rookie
I voted Movement and Approach, only because I really want to know different options that can be done with Jigglypuff in terms of moving away from an enemy with momentum or approaching characters. Honestly, my biggest issues have always been campers/spammers (like Villager and his slingshot/rocket spacing) and the fact he can move away faster than I can approach and I'd like to see a few techniques on how to approach someone like that.

I also want to learn how to do things like dash dancing and perfect pivot. Someone once told me that even Jigglypuff can benefit from these techniques, but I kinda want to see an expansion of all of us collectively pooling our knowledge together to help get Puff some much needed advantages in combat on the ground (we got a great deal of command the air, but we gotta land once in a while to recharge our jumping ability and sometimes taking back off isn't an option).

Smeefy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smeefed
Alright I said option selects because of Jigs play style the new options that she would now have could be insane.People often say that she has no combos but this mitigates that argument

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Footstools and movement definitely. Her crouch is so good, and perfect pivot crouching should make her very difficult to deal with. Footstools for rest setups, and with he fast aerial speed, I'm sure there's more then we know of.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Jigglypuff has some neat combos, and I think those should be explored more.

Like uptiltx2 into rest on fastfallers at low %s. Shame it won't kill, but eh, watchugonnado.

Top Bottom