• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What do the Japanese Smashers think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I've seen a lot of people saying a character's lack of popularity in Japan hurts their chances and visa versa.

Just what characters are popular in Japan? Anyone got polls we can see?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They mostly think thoughts.

But no really, they mostly want the same things.

Their two most wanted characters not in Brawl are Mewtwo and Roy.

Their top wanted newcomers including Takamaru, K. Rool, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Dixie Kong, and Ridley, who are among the most top wanted characters outside of Japan.

They want actual online, and the smart ones hate all the people who want random minor Fire Emblem characters playable.... just like us.

If you want more info on it, you should check out what research ChronoBound and shortiecanbrawl have done on the subject matter.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something

Their top wanted newcomers including Takamaru, K. Rool, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Dixie Kong, and Ridley, who are among the most top wanted characters outside of Japan.

They want actual online, and the smart ones hate all the people who want random minor Fire Emblem characters playable.... just like us.

If you want more info on it, you should check out what research ChronoBound and shortiecanbrawl have done on the subject matter.
^ This

I can also say since NSider and various other forums have had more in them. It's not that different; granted there's other series they want to see with more characters in and obviously Japan-Only characters are more friendly with them.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I can also say since NSider and various other forums have had more in them. It's not that different; granted there's other series they want to see with more characters in and obviously Japan-Only characters are more friendly with them.
This part as well is true.

You won't see much support in Japan for Mike Jones (from Star Tropics 1 and 2, not the rapper), a new Pokémon (many people in Japan dread that Zoroark is an inevitable newcomer and will replace Lucario), or nearly as much support for Krystal (in Japan few people bought Star Fox games that weren't the original, the remake of the original [Star Fox 64] or the remake of the remake of the original [Star Fox 64 3D]).

Also, I don't know if this is for sure, but I think Paper Mario and possibly even Isaac (Golden Sun) are fairly less popular in Japan.

Still, it sucks that even in Japan they have to deal with the minor Fire Emblem character of the day/week/month fanbase. Can't those people just... stay amongst themselves=??? :urg:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

All pretty awesome! As far as I remember the top 5 were:

Mewtwo
Roy
Rockman
K. Rool
Palutena

Dixie and others below her

. I hadn't actually heard of Ridley's popularity there, as I'd always heard the opposite, but I guess the smart Smashers know what's best there too. Takamaru I had always sort of assumed because duh.

In fact, I've never actually SEEN so much support for a Retro as I've seen for Taka. Whoop!

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is the most recent thing Chrono has said about the Japanese fans back in November 24, 2012. The only difference lately is that support for varies Gen V Pokemon have fallen off the map. There might be other minor differences, but for now this is the opinions from the land of the rising sun.

ChronoBound said:
Mario: Surprisingly, there is little demand for a Mario newcomer. Requests come up for nearly every Mario character, but each one of them does not have much requests.

Donkey Kong: K. Rool is amongst the most requested newcomers outside the cut Melee duo. Dixie Kong is also highly requested.

The Legend of Zelda: Its Ghirahim. After that its Toon Zelda. Tingle rarely comes up. Its important to note that Skyward Sword was by far the lowest selling 3D Zelda in Japan.

Metroid: Metroid requests rarely come up. However, I have seen posts mentioning Ridley's "overseas popularity".

Yoshi: Yoshi requests never come up.

Kirby: Waddle Dee (Bandanna). Before Return to Dream Land's release, it seemed that Gooey was the choice in regards to a fourth playable Kirby character.

Star Fox: Requests are uncommon, but when they do come up its usually Krystal, Leon, or Slippy. None of these characters have a notable amount of request volume.

Pokemon: Mewtwo is one of the two most requested characters. After him, its probably Zoroark for this series. Zoroark is definitely one of the names that comes up a lot, but how much of this is "expected" versus actually "wanted" is hard to determine. Requests also come up for B/W Trainer, Victini, and most recently Genesect. Genesect has a lot of potential to grow, imo.

F-Zero: I have been noticing much less requests lately for this series. However, usually its either Black Shadow or Samurai Goroh, with the edge definitely belonging to Black Shadow.

Mother: Requests are uncommon, but when it does happen I usually see Kumatora.

Fire Emblem: Roy is one of the two most requested characters. After him, its Chrom for this series. Chrom is definitely one of the names that comes up a lot, but how much of this is "expected" versus actually "wanted" is hard to determine. A distant third is Lucina, who recently has taken up the mantle as the most wanted female Fire Emblem newcomer (that tiara last belonged to Micaiah over there). However, there is a debate amongst Lucina supporters whether her place would be better as a costume of Marth or a stand-alone character.

Kid Icarus: Palutena is the only character of this series that gets a large amount of requests. However, Palutena is definitely amongst the most wanted characters outside the cut Melee duo.

Pikmin: Pikmin requests never happen.

Wario: Wario requests never happen.

Retro: Retro requests are surprisingly uncommon. However, when it does happen its usually Takamaru.

Other: Shulk gets quite a lot of requests. Shulk is easily the most requested Nintendo character from a series not represented yet with a playable character in Smash Bros. A distant second would be Starfy.

Third-party: Mega Man is by far the most requested third-party character, and the only one that comes up a lot. Mega Man is definitely amonst the most wanted characters outside the cut Melee duo. Aside from Mega Man, there is a lot of arguing and flame wars in regards to Namco. There is arguing not about whether a Namco character should even be added, but amongst those who think one should be added there is no consensus. There are flame wars about which Tekken and Tales of character would be best for Smash Bros.

Here is a basic tier list amongst the characters that tend to get the most requests:

S:
Mewtwo
Roy

A:
Mega Man
K. Rool
Palutena

B:
Dixie Kong
Chrom
Zoroark
Waddle Dee
Shulk

After that there is a large dropoff, and its quite difficult to group. However, most of the character requests are with these characters.

Also, its important noting that Toad is very popular in Japan, though this does not translate to Smash Bros. requests since these is a deep pessimism that his permanent role in the Smash Bros. series is as Peach's special. If such pessimism did not exist, Toad would definitely be amongst the most wanted newcomers for Smash 4 in Japan (possibly in the A-tier).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I bet things have changed, the 5th Gen Pokémon have fallen off the map, the extra Kirby character and maybe even Palutena hype has died down, and few people want Lucina anymore.

We're gonna have to ask shortiecanbrawl, Venus, ChronoBound, etc (to research) who Japanese smashers want after we E3.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
So anyone has an update on this information, I would like to hear what the Japanese say about the Wars Series (Advance Wars, Famicom Wars, Battalion Wars).

.n_n.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Considering the fact that Mother 3 was only released in Japan, I can see Porky Minch having a great fanbase over in Japan.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I see Karate Joe, but are all the rest Rhythm Heaven characters?

Not familiar with the series at all.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I see Karate Joe, but are all the rest Rhythm Heaven characters?

Not familiar with the series at all.
Yeah.
Also it probably doesn't give a good sampling of what Japanese gamers actually desire. I'm not even sure if the text is about wanting a character in the game anyways.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Actually, I found this site, where a Japanese guy judges a number of Nintendo characters' likelihoods of being in Smash 4 a while back. Might be worth a read, using Google Translate if necessary.
スマブラX予想特設 戦場の同志達
Now that's interesting. Pretty much everyone's chances of participation seem to be less than 50% for the newcomers. So far Chrom seems to be one of the few high ones outranking even Mewtwo. Little Mac is also fairly high.

Roy and K. Rool who are very popular picks in Japan have pretty low scores considering.

Also they seem to see Tetra as a far less likely outcome than Daisy as a newcomer. Interesting.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Now that's interesting. Pretty much everyone's chances of participation seem to be less than 50% for the newcomers. So far Chrom seems to be one of the few high ones outranking even Mewtwo. Little Mac is also fairly high.

Little Mac being considerably higher in popularity than Takamaru, Starfy, and Palutena is a surprise indeed.

I see no Saki, and that kind of disturbs me... BUt at least Isa and Kachi are there.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Considering the fact that Mother 3 was only released in Japan, I can see Porky Minch having a great fanbase over in Japan.
If I recall correctly Kumatora is actually the most wanted Mother newcomer over in Japan, which is pretty weird.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I made a quick analysis on that site, and from what I gather, these are the highest rated characters in term of chances.
But I'm still not sure if this is based on what ONE person did... but maybe it does reflect popularity in Japan if only a bit.
Anyway:

A: Chrom (60%)
B: Shulk / Little Mac / Mewtwo / Zoroark / Dixie Kong / Lucina / Sukapon / Ridley (50%)
C: Ray MkIII / Black Shadow / K.Rool / Mii (40%)
D: (a lot of characters fall in this category, like Isa, Starfy, Isaac, Matthew, etc) (30%)
E: (Only relatively outdated and minor characters seem to fall in this category which roughly reaches 15%)

btw, lol at Mr.Saturn being more popular than Masked Man.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Does the percentage represent popularity or chance prediction?

Anyway Barbara is really low but it's still nice to see her there.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Actually, I found this site, where a Japanese guy judges a number of Nintendo characters' likelihoods of being in Smash 4 a while back. Might be worth a read, using Google Translate if necessary.
スマブラX予想特設 戦場の同志達
That's interesting. He has written about a ton of characters, including near-impossible ones like Porky, Vaati, Rambi, Fawful and Mother Brain.

He also puts Sheik's chances at 100% and doesn't even consider Impa a contender, lol. :awesome:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I think the characters in the second category are supposed to be for things like Assist Trophies and Bosses.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only thing I can do to gain a prospective on popularity is browse 2ch and Pixiv, but for the former it's a crapshot as to when a Super Smash Bros. topic will actually come up and for the latter it's really deceptive. So until then, we only have what we know now. Notable changes include Zoroark plummeting and Mega Man being out of the question due to already being revealed.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Spears In Smash Bros.

Smash Journeyman
Now that's interesting. Pretty much everyone's chances of participation seem to be less than 50% for the newcomers. So far Chrom seems to be one of the few high ones outranking even Mewtwo.
About that...
One interesting thing I noticed was that the guy said that Lucina has "about equal" chances of representation as Chrom.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
About that...
One interesting thing I noticed was that the guy said that Lucina has "about equal" chances of representation as Chrom.
Compare to the rating they gave Robin/Avatar and this does show some significant differences between this person and us.

I would of thought Robin/Avatar's chances would have improved slightly by Male Wii Fit Trainer appearing.

Also Male Wii Fit Trainer should have a 100%. Guess these aren't updated. Makes sense; apparently the Japanese Smash speculation scene isn't as intense as ours?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Guess these aren't updated. Makes sense; apparently the Japanese Smash speculation scene isn't as intense as ours?

Well there are less Japanese speakers than English speakers in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom