• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What button do you use to L-cancel?

What button do you use to L-cancel?

• Total voters

JediLink

Smash Ace
I'm just asking because it amuses me that it's called L-cancelling, and yet you don't actually need to ever press L to do it.

I personally use R, myself. I actually use R for everything: wavedashing, shielding, L-cancelling, teching, etc. Maybe just because I'm right handed? I don't know. I almost never use the L button.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
L for shielding, l cancelling and techin
r is like only for wavedashing
I don't understand those lunatics that can wavedash out of shield with one shoulder button

prisoner

Smash Cadet
I use L for everything... I don't think I've ever touched my R button.

I would like to start using Z to cancel, though... it's rather precise, and if I'm not mistaken you can mash it if you're in a panic as well.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I use L for everything... I don't think I've ever touched my R button.

I would like to start using Z to cancel, though... it's rather precise, and if I'm not mistaken you can mash it if you're in a panic as well.
Apparently you can mash any button for L-cancelling. The main thing is that you can't tech if you hard press the L or R button. You can L-cancel by just barely pressing any shield button, and Z does that automatically. This allows you to tech when you get hit unexpectedly while you are about to L-cancel, but you can also do it by pressing the L and R buttons lightly.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
I use Z - Also still in the terrible habit of doing aerials with control stick in most occurrences.

Syrup on da sid

Smash Rookie
I use L for almost everything, I think I don't shield that much anymore but I used to use the R button always. I am right handed and I think the reason I started using the L button is because I find it faster to alternate hands for wave dashing or L canceling if im using aerials on the C-stick on my right hand then I can react with my left hand faster than with my right because my right hand is already in use.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think the whole "L stands for 'lag'" thing is a dumb rumor someone started. 64 players called it Z cancelling, which was done with their left hand, so it was only natural for most people to keep cancelling with L when they switched to Melee, hence how it got named L-cancelling instead of anything else.

L for shielding, l cancelling and techin
r is like only for wavedashing
I don't understand those lunatics that can wavedash out of shield with one shoulder button
Don't unpress the trigger all the way.

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
I've never touched the L button in a match. I think I might want to start using Z for more tech stuff though, I feel like it's more precise.

REC_NEPS

Smash Rookie
I use L to L-cancel and R for everything else. Even when I wavedash out of shield I only use R. It just seemed simpler to just have to mash the R button instead of having to keep track of a whole other button.

Henrik Lagerholm

Smash Cadet
Doing it with L-trigger was the first thing i learned... hasn't changed. But im thinking of changing it because using the control stick is harder imo.
I WD with R though.

Jsyk

Smash Rookie
Z for L-Cancelling. I feel as though the coordination between all my fingers for shffling works best when I use Z.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I use L to L-cancel and R for everything else. Even when I wavedash out of shield I only use R. It just seemed simpler to just have to mash the R button instead of having to keep track of a whole other button.
When you wavedash out of shield with the other trigger button, you don't even have to let go of the shield button. You can just hold down L and wavedash around with R all you want.

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
I use R for everything. Literally everything. L-canceling, light shielding, heavy shielding, teching, wavedashing, wavedashing OOS, wavedashing out of shine, shieldgrabbing. I use Z for standard grab I guess.

L could be broken on my controller and I legitimately would not notice.

flaw

Smash Apprentice
I taught myself to be able to do everything with each button in order to compare them. So I can L-cancel and WD with both R and L, but currently I L-cancel with Z since it preserves the tech window (you can do this by light-pressing L/R, of course, but I find that as the controller breaks in and the pressure in a match increases I accidentally full-press a lot, so using z fixes the problem and there's less question of the exact timing of the button press, as well)

I think a more interesting question is does anyone actually try to L-cancel more than once per move? I can see an argument made for it during fox dair if there's a question hitlag affecting the fast-fall timing.

REC_NEPS

Smash Rookie
When you wavedash out of shield with the other trigger button, you don't even have to let go of the shield button. You can just hold down L and wavedash around with R all you want.
Cool, never realized that. I might have to make an adjustment. Thanks!

D

Deleted member

It really depends for me. I have a bad habit of pushing all three for teching and L-Cancelling.

I'm trying to get out of that habit, because it's resulting in bad matches for me.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I'll use either L or R. I've never been picky about that.

YoshiQue

Smash Rookie
I use R for L canceling, wavedashing and teching, but L for sheilding

Last edited:

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
L for light press L-cancels. And I use it for everything else.

If you learn how to light press, ASDI into the ground teching is so much easier.

Mr Toast

Smash Cadet
Hometown: Raleigh, NC ... School: Charlotte, NC
I use L for L-Cancelling because it puts less tension on my right hand so that I can get my aerials out fast. I use R for wavedashing because it's easier to hit the R trigger right after I hit X. Since I use R for wavedashing I try to use L to shield so I can easily WD OOS

Justkallmekai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ProjectM3.0
3DS FC
0473-8282-3242
I hardly use L for anything, only really for wavedashing out of shield, but that's about it, R is more comfortable for me.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I use R, I really never touch my L button. Very rarely, I'll actually L-Cancel with Z, but that's when I'm preparing for a grab after an aerial.

Sketch

Smash Cadet
L for L cancel and
R for shield and wavedash
Z for grab
Stole so i didn't have to type.

Top Bottom