• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wes Talks About Tournaments, 'Smash on Blast,' and More

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Old-school Samus player Wes has recently begun making a series of videos called 'Smash on Blast,' taking a look at the Smash community with his signature upfront style. His most recent video talks about the recent MLG Championships, and people making comparisons between MLG and EVO. Wes has always been an outspoken member of the community, and has some interesting takes on the Smash scene as a whole. Wes was kind enough to take some time and speak with Smashboards on his new video series and more.

The Derrit: For our newer readers that may not be familiar with you, please introduce yourself!

Wes: Hey everyone, my name is Antoine Lewis-Hall, a.k.a. Wes. I am one of the founders of the crew Deadly Alliance, Smash Brothers division captain of Empire Arcadia and also vice president of the S.O.S Gamers charity. I've been in the smash community for 13 years. I witnessed the the ups and downs of the community. I've helped the east coast scene grow by hosting tons of tournaments (such as the DA gauntlet) and smashfests. What I'm really known for is the trash talk, which I feel as well helped make players get better, just off the strength of them wanting to beat me.

The Derrit: What made you decide to make Smash on Blast? Was there a single event that motivated you, or a more general sense of urgency?

Wes: The main reason behind me starting the Smash on Blast series is I felt there are so many topics that need to be voiced to the community in a funny but truthful manner, not being biased, putting the topics on "blast".

Watch the latest episode of Smash on Blast, MLG vs. EVO.

The Derrit: While people may see you from time to time on D1's stream, you haven't made many publicized appearances at tournaments lately. Are you planning on getting back to competition in the future?

Wes: As far as me being on D'Ron's stream, me and him go way back (former DA member) and always played with each other. Now the whole world gets to see the "battles." I do plan to get back into it. I'm doing it slowly instead of making trailers about it and then not showing up to tournaments, cough, cough Azen. Once I get a few things personally settled I can really come back the way I want to, old school Wes style. Right now I'm just at 30% when it comes to me competing. Smash on Blast is right now the most consistent way you will see me.

The Derrit: Your Charizard has given some people fits - do you feel that you've migrated to Project M, or do you still enjoy playing both Melee and Project M?

Wes: When it comes to me playing PM or Melee, I'm more into PM because there is more character variety, and a hefty amount of competition and match ups to learn. Which makes me feel like the old days of Smash, playing a fresh new game. And what's cool is that with this game I'm starting at the bottom and learning from other players instead of them learning from me only. So it's a fun and new experience.

The Derrit: Anything else you'd like to say to your audience?

Wes: One thing people can expect is to see my face more, whether it be a stream, tournament or Smash on Blast!!!

---

Thanks again to Wes for taking the time to speak with us. For more Wes, subscribe to his YouTube channel. What do you think of Smash on Blast? Are you excited for more? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit has spent way too much time in cars the past few days. If you have a teleporter that he can use for travel, let him know on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Warning Received
My man Wes always keeping it real.
I love his down to earth and the no bull explanations

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkStar64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Keystoner_33
3DS FC
4914-3939-6213
Wes needs a GC controller with "Bad ************" etched into it like Sam Jackson's wallet from Pulp Fiction lol

D

Deleted member

Wes, why did you start wearing glasses, WHHHHHYYYY?

Just kidding.

Anyways, I love Smash on Blast, and Wes is one of my favorite players ever, very inspiring.

Kati

Smash Lord
Pretty sure crimson's blur smash vault initiative helped stock mlg.

Good series thus far though.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
OMG WES I miss you. My finest memory of Wes was at tournement GO in San Jose. Smashers were peacefully sleeping on the floor of Matt Deezie's house, and all you could hear is screams of poor folk who happened to have some of THE MAN draped across their lips...

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I always like hearing what Wes has to say. I don't always agree, but I respect the ideas and opinions.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Yeah, wes definitely hit the nail on the head on why P:M is great.

Top Bottom