• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #8

When do you think the release date will be?

• Spring 2014 (March through May)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Summer 2014 (June through August)

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Fall 2014 (September through November)

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Winter 2014 (December)

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Winter 2015 (December through February)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Spring 2015 (March through May)

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • After Spring 2015 (June through December)

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #8
3/03 - 3/07
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@Frostwraith

Banner by @ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Last week was filled with fun updates that proved to be uneventful yet interesting. Monday was the obligatory post-newcomer/veteran update with Diddy Kong. Tuesday was an update concernin gthe Punc-out!! ring and how it has two versions. Wednesday gave users a fright due to being delayed but showed us a brand new mechanic where a character performs a finishing attack after completing the nuetral A combo. Thursday and Friday proved to be a sad day for Waluigi and Dedenne fans as they were deconfirmed as a playable character. Waluigi was yet again regulated to Assist Trophy status while Dedenne appears as the first confirmed VII generation Pokemon. We all recieved news that Nintendo will cut the Wi Fi for the Wii and DS thus rendering those online games without Wi Fi support. They will take affect on May .

This week wasn't too surprising yet to dissapointing. Monday revealed the two Grannies from Legend of Zelda will be making an appearance in some way of the Gerudo Valley. Tuesday was the return of the revamp Bumper. Wednesday was a rather uninteresting, throw away picture of King Dedede using his down B Jet Hammer. Thursday revealed Little Mac's side smash in that it can be controlled in some fashion. Friday finally revealed the 3DS Animal Crossing stage that was teased before in a PotD: Tortimer's Island. Overall, a fairly quiet, uneventful yet pleasant week. Nothing too upsetting or earth shattering.

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:

[*} @ --- --- for writing up the Mega Man analysis. Take some time and read it since it is a very good read up!

[*} @Frostwraith for helpin write Wednesay's PotD.

[*} @GoldenYuitusiin for taking the interview.

[*] Lastly, to all of the Smashboards users who posts really make up what the WiR is. Without your insightful (and crazy) posts, this thread would not exist so thank you very much!

Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Issue #7
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.
So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.
I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?
We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]
Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: When Grannies Attack
2.1 Day #2: Sakurai is Bumping his own Site
3.1 Day #3: A Punch Stronger Than a Hammer!
4.1 Day #4: ONE.....TWO....THREE SMASH!!!!
5.1 Day #5: Aloha Smashers, yarr!
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Editorials
8.1 Week in Review Interview: GoldenYuitusiin
9.1 Character Analysis: Mega Man Part 3 by @ --- ---
10.1 Thread of the Week: Zelda Discussion Thread
11.1I want YOU to Vote!

When Grannies Attack
02/25/14
Day#1: Monday
Writer: Venus of the Desert Bloom

Monday started out fresh and exciting with a new possible stage element included in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. As we knew from the E3 trailer, Gerudo Valley is a new stage for the 3DS version and is considered a version exsclusive due to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D appearing on the 3DS. Unless you are unaware, it is a 3D remake of the original Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for Nintendo 64.

So who are these pair of crones that are flying on broomsticks? They are Kotake and Koume, twin sisters and *gasp* surrogate mothers of Ganondorf? That is right! Kotake and Koume helped rasie little Ganny to the crazy, blood-thirsty tyrant king that he is today. What I would give to see some home vidoes or photo albums.

So what do these twin sisters do besides flying around broomsticks. Well as you can tell from their hair, they can control two elements. Koume has power of fire while Kotake has power over ice making quite the contrasting couple. During battle, they use their broom to zip around the room while firing fire and ice spells at Link. Link must use his Mirror Shield to reflect the fire and ice spells back at the sisters. Koume is damaged by ice spells while Kotake is damaged by fire spells thus requiring Link to use the Z-targeting to reflect the contrasting spell at the sisters. The battle continues but I will get to that later.
http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Twinrova_(Ocarina_of_Time)

So what does this spell for Koume and Kotake and Gerudo Valley? Well, first off, Sakurai's comment doesn't actually say if it is a stage hazard or an assist trophy.

"Pic of the day. The twin grannies, Kotake and Koume, appear in Gerudo Valley! They're definitely up to no good."
However, I believe it is safe to assume that these tow characters wukk appear as stage hazards of elements within Gerudo Valley.

People did offer what they tink concerning the pair:

Kotake and Koume as...stage hazards or ATs?
@Chris Baker

This is such a great assist trophy idea! I can only imagine the mischief these two will bring to the fray.
This also appears to confirm that we have a Gerudo Valley stage coming our way!
@Xykness

Looks like they're stage hazards. Makes sense I guess.
@ArcticWolf

Most likely they are hazards as the quote says "They're definitely up to no good."
@ Depressed Gengar Depressed Gengar

Sakurai Sez! Looks like Kotake and Koume are in Gerudo Valley! And THAT'S no good!

I'm putting money on Stage Hazard, mainly because we have seen the stage in two different conditions: normal, and on fire with the broken bridge. So I'd assume that Kotake and Koume trigger the fire and disaster, and someone else will make it go back (maybe the Song of Time will be played, sending the fighters to before the attack).
@Mega Bidoof

As we saw before in this picture

During the battle, fire appears to spread through the stage, causing the bridge to collapse, opening up the chasm for characters to fall into.
http://www.ssbwiki.com/Gerudo_Valley

Gerudo Valley does burn at some point and it is very likely that, if they are a stage hazard, that Koume and Kotake will cause the bridge to burn. Well, Koume actually since she is able to use fire magic. So what does this leave Kotake to do? It is possible that she might extinguish the flames with her ice but may end freezing portions of the stage as well. This has yet to be seen.

1. I think they just blow up the bridge (and maybe one other thing).
2. Please don't be worse than that
3. Their faces, specifically the eyes, needs to be a meme.
@Johnknight1

Damn, today's PotD is such a nostalgic picture. 3DS version stages deliver again.
@Reila

Not a bad picture of the day today to start the week. I'm not opposed to getting some love for the Zelda series, and an occasional 3DS update isn't so bad either (with the Wii U still obviously being peferable, though). With this revelation being made known to us, I would believe it is safe to assume that Koume had started the fire hazard we previously had seen on the [Gerudo Valley] stage before, and perhaps Kotake will bring an additional ice hazard as well.

Edit: Magic Hag's Potion Shop would now be an excellent alternative song for the Gerudo Valley stage as well (please).
@Creo

Kotake and Koume are so fricken awesome. I think they'll merge into Twinrova and burn down the bridge. I know stage hazards can suck, but this is awesome.
@Radical Beam

Which brings me back to Koume and Kotake and their battle. In Ocarina of Time, after hitting them several times with the alternating spells....they fuse together to form a super, sexy, powerful socceros that is apparently devoid of any weaknesses. This new form is Twinrova

....and she one of the more memorable boss battles from Ocarina of Time. In battle, Twinrova will alternate between fire and ice spells while floating around the room. Link must absorb the first element with his Mirror Shield. However, he can only collect energy from the sam exact element that he previous absorbed. For example, if Twinrova fires an sce spell and Link absorbs it, he must avoid or dodge the Fire spells and absorb two more ice spells. If he tries to absorb a fire spell, he is damaged and it returns back to zero. Once the Mirro Shield reaches 3 identical spells, it fires back at Twinrova, immobilizing her, and allowing Link to spring into action and attack.
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=be8Gx6ev1vU[/media]

So, with Kotake and Koume being revealed, does this mean that Twinrova could also be included? Let us know what you think by responding in the comments below.

Things Confirmed for Monday:
1) Koume and Kotane appear in the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros.
2) They will appear in some form in the Gerudo Valley stage.

Sakurai is Bumping his own Site
03/05/14
Day #2: Tuesday

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. The Bumper is back with a detailed new design. This also means there will be no Flippers.

Sakurai said:
Here's the back side of the Bumper. There's way too much detail put into the side you can't really see. The designers really went overboard.

With the Home-run Bat, Ray Gun, and Capsule recieving updates visually, it's only common sense for the other items to follow suit. A particular favorite and well-recieved item was the Bumper.

The Bumper was first introduced in Super Smash Bros. 64 on Peach's Castle as well as a useable items. However, in Super Smash Bros. Melee, it was replaced by the Flipper which was similar in concept but less knock back. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Flipper was thrown out in favor for the Bumper which has continued into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

However, the Bumper has recieved quite the upgrade visually with a more flatter design that previous incarnations with a red, orange, and yellow color scheme and a steel gray base. As well, while the the multi-pointed star does return, the Bumper features the Smash symbol that is prevelent on the mat of the Boxing Ring and the Smash Ball. This never appears on previous incarnations.

What are fans saying?

dat is a sexy bumper
@Warchamp7

I don't always play with items, but when I do, bumper is one of my favorites.
A fantastic favorite now with this great design!
@New_Dumal

Sakurai is on a roll! What, is it the 4th consecutive day he's showing something new?

Dat steel texture...
@Empyrean

The Bumper sure has gone a long way since the first Smash Bros..
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy

Eh, this somewhat disappoints me, I preferred the Flipper. It was less game-breakingly power and also hilarious. Plus, actual representation of a great game (Balloon Fight) instead of more Smash items.

Though if Stage Builder comes back and you can place Bumpers in it, that would be okay.
@KenithTheGatherer

Guess i'm the only one who liked the original design better.

Maybe i'm just old school that way.
@SMX

However, it is unknown is gameplay value has been affected by this change and probably won't be revealed until either Sakurai reveals it himself or with the release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS.

Judging from the first picture, Mega Man may be trying to jump over the Bumper howeer I doubt he is being hit by it since there is an absence of a "hurt" animation. However, I do find its placement rather strange as the first picture shows it is tiled upwards when, traditionally, they are either flat on the ground asin Brawl.

However, this shows it being tilted upwards. However, it is may be important to note that Mega Man is fairly close to the Bumper thus raising the question "Why isn't he being bounced back?" This picture leaves many questions regarding it to me answered.

The second picture is even more strange as the bumper almost looks larger than Mega Man compared to the first picture. It could be due to the strange perspective of the camera that Sakurai is using but it looks strangely large compared to Mega Man. It was most likely taken that way to focus on the design of the back of the Bumper. Also, Mega Man appears to be holding the Bumper so it can be assumed that when a player holds the Bumper, the back side shows and then flips up when it is thrown. As well, it is also possible that the Bumper is originally large but, when thrown and sticks, appears smaller.

It is interesting to note that Sakurai commented in the second comment picture that the design staff really went overboard. While this may be a bit of a stretch but perhaps this applies to other areas of Smash Bros. including character design.....

Things confirmed for Tuesday:
1) Bumper is back
3) Has a new redesign
3) The Flipper will not return
4) The design team went overboard

A Punch Stronger Than a Hammer!
03/05/14
Day #3: Wednesday
Writer: Frostwraith

This picture had King Dedede charging his jet powered wooden hammer. And this is what Sakurai had to say...

Sakurai said:
Pic of the day. So far, which attack can blast away enemies the most dynamically… Is it King Dedede's fully charged Jet Hammer? Nah, it can't beat the K.O. uppercut. You can damage yourself by overcharging this attack, so watch out.
Apparently, this attack may not be as powerful as Little Mac's uppercut whenever his power bar is at its maximum level. Anyway, Sakurai reminds that charging the hammer for too long will result in self-damage.

Aside the commentary, this picture doesn't show anything new unlike the previous four. What did the users around here had to say about this? Time to find out!

@Swampasaur

It did do damage to Dedede in Brawl.

The pic was pointless.
@andalsoandy

It's a weird post
Basically he's saying that Dedede's move is the same, and then comparing it to the KO punch for whatever reason.
@Hippopotasauce

Well I got the proof now. So wtf was the point of this pic? LOL
@Xaltis

So ****ing boring.
@Vintage Creep

As expected, people reacted negatively to what many perceive as a boring picture. However, some people remained a little more optimistic...

Also, people, as has been said, we are lucky to get these Pics of the Days. And we just got a LOT of info these past updates. Don't be spoiled!
@ MasterofMonster MasterofMonster

It is not exactly pointless... it told us that Little Mac's B is stronger than King Dedede's Down+B... it is not as pointless as Luigi's nose and Wii Fit Trainer's butt.
@Arcadenik

The streak of useful info comes to an end. Not complaining, just observing I guess.

Then again, it's technically info that a move is returning unchanged.
@DaDavid

And finally other comments that also sparked my interest.

Sakurai, your engrish is showing again.
@McDuckletts

The phrasing is so awkward....
@Swampasaur

Weird caption. But the pic is of King Dedede, so I'm not complaining.
@KingofPhantoms47

Seems like some people thought of Sakurai's caption as awkward...

Sakurai making up for lack of breaking news with HD pikachu being cute in the background
@Zorc Of Norway

And that's one way to look at this screen, indeed...

Things confirmed for Wednesday:
1. King Dedede's jet hammer isn't as strong as Little Mac's most powerful uppercut.
2. King Dedede still gets harmed if the hammer is charged for too long.

ONE.....TWO....THREE SMASH!!!!
3/07/14
Day #4: Thursday

Today was all about Mac and something I personally thought we would learn shortly after being revealed. We know little about his move set, the Star Meter mechanic, and move properties save for several tidbits from Sakurai. This is really the first move that truly gave us any significant information.

Sakurai had this to day:
Pic of the day. Little Mac's side smash attack is his straight right punch...but it can transform into an uppercut if you tilt diagonally upward, or a body hook if you tilt diagonally downward. The body hook is the most devastating of these moves and it doesn't blast the opponents away.
as well as this

The trick in activating these punches is to avoid tilting the controls diagonally from the get go--instead, tilt up or down right after the smash attack starts kicking in. You can also tilt up or down while you're powering up.
It is interesting to note that this may be the first Smash attack that can be altered after being performed in a way that it affects the outcome. though:

Other characters has had this ability in the past. Samus and Mario was able to change the angels of their side smash in Brawl. There are others, but those 2 are the ones I can think of off the type of my head.
@Moon Monkey

Despite that, tilting down or up never changed the attack to an entirely different attack. According to Sakurai, the side Smash can be altered shortly after initiating the attack and felt it was important enough to warn players not to tilt the control stick diagonally from the get go but to wait until after the attack started. Most likely, initiating it from the get go would result in the second attack by taking effect. It is interesting to note exactly what Sakurai said in regards to the attack and could possibly be an English error.

I believe Sakurai (or the person translating Sakurai) meant "The body hook is the most devastating of these moves but it doesn't blast the opponents away". Bearing that in and mind (and looking at the pictures), this is what I have come to believe:

The standard Side Smash does moderate and average damage and possibly slightly less knockback.

The uppercut does slightly less damage but more knockback than the other two.

While the body hook does more damage but possibly spikes opponents into the ground. Sakurai felt to let us known it does not have much knock-back but it is devastating which could mean it causes a lot of damage.

This side Smash seems very powerful, and while some may disagree, could be OP considering how powerful it can be. Two attacks in one Smash attack. However, in reference to other attacks, the two attacks could do slightly less damage thus balancing out Little Mac's Smash attack with other characters. It could have some amount of start up and ending lag that can be punished by the opponents. These lags could leave Little Mac at the mercy of the opponent thus severly nerfing the OP'ness of the attack.

Others speculated that:

This update also makes me aware of another potential weakness with Mac. Edge guarding .

While he does have a variety of smashes that are good against grounded opponents in different situations, characters like Mario and Samus often used angled smashes to hit opponents who try to sweet spot the ledge, Samus' being the most effective against space animals due to the speed. Since Mac doesn't simply have an angled Forward punch, it will be a bit harder for him to score a kill in that particular fashion, then again, we know nothing of the properties if his tilts or his down angled smash so it may be compensated for all I know.

Personally, I hope Sakura does this with the F-tilts that can be angled in this game, or atleast animate one of the angles differently. Like a down angle Samus f- tilt could be like a crouching sweep kick or some cool **** like that.
@Enternal Phoenix Fire

The update was well-liked by people who were either happy to see Little Mac again or two see new information regarding his attacks:

I like the tilt after the smash starts. Gives me a chance to correct myself after missing the hitbox by a little.
Jason on MiiVerse

Oh, wow. This looks...pretty amazing, actually. Now, the real question here is if this is a new mechanic for Little Mac alone, or a new game mechanic? Different forward smashes for all the characters?...
Oceanus92

I wonder what the rest of the moveset will be.
Tylor on MiiVerse

Is Little Mac replacing Captain Falcon?
Drew on MiiVerse

That is actually a pretty convenient move. It allows you to connect more punches and deal more damage. Nicely done Mr. Sakurai. Can't wait for the release of this game.
Carlos on MiiVerse

Little Mac is looking good so far. Now i might wanna buy the wiiu
for games like this. *sighs*
@Coolwhip

So Little Mac essentially has three legit different F-Smashes

That's awesome if only because it's a cool route for adding new moves to movesets for developers (be them of new Smash games or simply Smash mods); I know we've had tilted smashes but this is a totally different, cool, and officially-developed ballpark

There should be more updates like this, keep 'em coming Sakurai :D
@Ingulit

So Little Mac has a stun punch? That's going to be awesome in team matches.
@Fatmanonice

Do I sense a newly-established emphasis and crafting on techniques that are deemed as "minor" in last games? It seems we might be getting to somewhat new level of technical play if there's gonna be similar techniques shown.

I hope we have more characters using this trope, this might be an evolved form of Forward Smash-attack now. Perhaps like said above, Bowser's Drop Kick is actually his Diagonal Down Smash Attack?
@Young Horsetail

Regardless, this was some new information regarding Little Mac's Side Smash and an interesting new mechanic to the character. However, people were mostly quiet about this update save for Little Mac fans and tech/move set fans with the additional "I want better updates!" or "Show all the characters plz" complaints.

Things Confirmed for Thursday:

1.) Little Mac's Side Smash changes depending on where the player tilts.

Aloha Smashers, yarr!
02/28/14
Day #5

After being teased via this image:

Looks like an interesting stage. Neat.

I guess this is the one with Kapp'n and DK shown months ago.
@ FalKoopa FalKoopa

We finally got to see the Animal Crossing stage for the Nintendo 3DS: Tortimer's Island.

Sakurai had this to say
Pic of the day. Here's a new stage for the 3DS version: Tortimer Island! I've been here countless times to catch bugs.
and posted a second picture and comment...
What a beautiful day. On this stage, fighters are randomly placed on a different island layout every time they visit. Yar, come back anytime, will ye?
What exactly is Tortimer's Island? In Japanese, it is called "Resort Island". It is an island that players can travel to the island once they pay off their 39,800 bells debt. The kappa, Kapp'n will take you the island where players can participate in Tours to earn medals. There is also a gift shop were players can use their earned medals to purchase gifts. Generally, players are unable to save or take items to the island. They are kept in store while the player is on the island.

And, uh, how does this island work in Animal Crossing? I am super familiar with basically every other smash represented series, but I know basically nothing about Animal Crossing.
@Amazing Ampharos

Well it's kind of weird because the island layout itself is the same for everyone (land, island shape) but since you can customize your island plants, trees and flowers can be in different places. So really in the actual game you never see different islands but instead actual towns are wildly different. I'd guess that's the kind of feeling Sakurai wanted to preserve for this stage despite it not being accurate to the game.

It looks to me that water is indeed returning (or the dock is a walk-off since it's not in New Leaf). Trees don't look like they'll be obstacles to me, and that the background elements, puddle location, land shape etc. will be different each time.
(also noteworthy is there is no puddle in AC)
@Ndayday

The island makes its appearance on Smash Bros. at the 3DS stage. However, it is unsure if the fighters can participate in any tours or win medals but it isn't possible that this could be a stage effect. However, it is confirmed that the stage layout will be randomized each time when played on thus making the stage a rather static stage in that it does not have a set layout. Fairly interesting but could potentially become broken. In the first picture, it shows Tortimer and http://nookipedia.com/wiki/Leila in the second picture. Kapp'n will also appear on the dock at some point. Also, as you can see from the second picture, there aren't pink tulips to the right of the red roses, white pansies in the front, and to the left stump in the first picture. As it is always summer here so bugs may become a prevalent effect on the stage.

Definitely going to be banned competitively if it doesn't have a default look. Even if it doesn't have any hazards, it's going to be impossible to predict which layout shows up.

(Casually, though, this looks like TONS of fun, though.)
@Pacack

Nice, stage info! I had almost forgotten about this stage haha. So if the island layout is random everytime, do you think the background characters will be too? At least Tortimer is only in one of the pics.
@Staarih

This stage should have a unique feature: Only Heracross and Pinsir spawn from Poke Balls when playing here.
@BridgesWithTurtles

New stage? And it's on the 3DS version?

Thanks for the early birthday present, Sakurai. You can be pretty cool sometimes, despite being mostly a ****. ¦D
@Wave Kusanagi

This looks much more interesting compared to the previous animal crossing stages.
@DonkaFjord

It seems like Sakurai had fun with this update lol.

I's interesting that there are different layouts to this stage. And it seems like NPCs will make appearances, perhaps different ones depending on the layout? And I wonder how long the distance is until the side blast zones. Me wanna swim laps around the island!...

Pluck those blue Pikmin, Olimar!
@CrophMaruMariolu2W0vol41PEeeeeek

It is great to see a new stage, a new 3DS stage, and one that is Animal Crossing. As well, it is great to see them use a stage that helps enforce the "swimming and diving" feature in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Things confirmed for Friday
1. Tortimer's Island is confirmed as the 3DS stage.
2. It changes its layout during every single match.
3. Kapp'n, his family, and Tortimer appear on the stage.

Overview
A rather uneventful week as mentioned earlier yet it was still rather well received. The only blemish was the King Dedede update yet fans of the character was excited to him featured. It was also great to finally see the Animal Crossing 3DS stage and it looks like it will be an interesting stage. Plus,. the Bumper returning and the reveal of Koume and Kotane was a fun way to start the day. Plus, Little Mac fans rejoiced to see one of Little Mac's moves revealed.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Week in Review Interview

Following interviewing the moderators, I have begun to interview certain members who have proved to be productive and constructive to the Smash 4 speculative scene as well as become an influential member of Smashboards. This week's interviewee is the gold among the rough, the proud lion that stands above the rest, and fearsome and loyal to the Smash franchise. This is....

@GoldenYuiitusin

GoldenYuiitusin is an active and productive member on the Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Discussion boards. Well known from his gorgeous goldenrod font, his Entei avatars, and stinging rhetoric that has become well respected among members in the forums. What does his username mean? Why all the Entei love? What is his favorite ice cream? This interview attempts to answer some of these questions and expose what&s beneath the golden beating heart. Thank you, Goldenyuiitusin, to agreeing to an interview.

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join?

I have been a member going on 4 years now. I started initially because I was invited to be a part of Super Smash Bros. Crusade discussion through YouTube before Crusade ended up getting its own forum.

After a while, I started to become a regular user here, I think 2 years ago, maybe?
2) What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?
My favorite part about these boards is that it is a huge community based around Smash, something that I've honestly needed most out of a forum. My least favorite part it is when the boards glitch out and become a pain in the ass to even make a single post.
3) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?

Definitely. I plan on getting both, even.
4) Who are your Mains in 64/Melee/Brawl? Who do you plan to main in Smash 4?

I don't really have a 64 main, considering it's the last of the games I've played extensively due to never owning a N64. But, when I do play it, I'm typically DK or Captain Falcon. My Melee main is Dr. Mario, and my Brawl main is Wario.

It's hard to say who I plan on maining in Wii U/3DS at this point, as it depends on which character's style I happen to enjoy most. Unless I don't enjoy playing as him this time around or someone ends up being more enjoyable to me, I'll probably stick with Wario. Wish he's confirmed soon....
5) Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok.

My most wanted was Waluigi.....

....and other than Mewtwo, there's not that many I really want persay, just what I'd approve of or disapprove of.
I guess if I had to pick someone here, it'd be F-Zero's Black Shadow or Rhythm Heaven's Wrestler. If 3rd Parties are acceptable, Agumon/Greymon full stop.
6) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?

I'm not really one to think about stages much, since they're not as easy to think about in a logical manner, though the idea of a new Poké Floats tickles my fancy, as does a stage based on Kirby Air Ride's City Trial. As for past stages, I don't have any particular attachments, so can't really answer there.
7) What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?

Stage Builder especially. I felt the way it worked in Brawl was too limited in concept.
8) What was your most favorite Smash Bros. moment/memory?
My favorite memory probably has to be seeing Mewtwo in Melee for the first time.

Mewtwo was my favorite Pokémon as a kid (still kind of is; even though I have an Entei theme), and when I first experienced Smash through Melee at a friend's house, he hadn't unlocked him (or G&W) yet. Then, the next time I played, he had them. I was so excited when I saw Mewtwo and would just play as him whenever I played it at his house.
9) Where did your username come from?

Heh, this is going to be a bit of a long story....

I was originally sharing a YouTube account with another friend of mine (yakov24), and I decided I wanted my own identity while I would use the profile. At the time, I was kind of big on MUGEN, and thought the cheap Yuiitusin character was hilarious and awesome. Then I saw this video....
And thought the name "GoldenYuiitusin" would be great. So I went with that.

As I found out just a few weeks ago, "Yuiitusin" is actually supposed to be "Yuiitsu Shin Entei-Sama", or "Sole God Entei". Since I learned that, I've grown to appreciate the name more than just "random name with no meaning but sounds cool".
10) Judging from your avatar, you like Entei. Why do you like Entei so much?

Like I said previously, Mewtwo is actually my favorite, shockingly enough (though Entei is a close second). I originally just thought Entei was sort of cool and only had an Entei theme to go along with the username. Over time, the longer I kept the name and theme, my liking of Entei grew until it just became a signature. I can't even change my avatar into something non-Entei related without having people keep asking me "Where's Entei?", "Who are you, and what have you done with Golden?", etc. :laugh:

It also helps that Pokémon 3: The Movie became one of my favorite Pokémon films as I've aged, with me realizing that it's actually a damn good film, something little me wouldn't get.
11) If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Japan. I don't know exactly why, though. It might have to do with many of my interests being initially from there and the culture fascinates me (though at times horribly confuses me).
12) What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Hmm.....I do loves me some Thrifty's Rainbow Sherbet. But for a flavor in general that can't go wrong in my eyes is Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.

Sometimes, I'll even have a scoop of both! Sounds disgusting, but it's not that bad....so long as you eat the two scoops separately and not mix them together.
13) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?

I find Lamia/Naga women to be sexy.
....kind of something rather embarrassing to say.....

Again, thank you for the interview, GoldenYuiitusin! It was great to talk to you and I know I learned some things about you that I wouldn't of before. I hope everyone else took the same from this interview. The WiR Interview will continue with another member... Could it be you?​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Mega Man: Final Part

Pros:
Great Approach Options
Great Edgeguarding Potential
High Mindgame Potential

Cons:
Predictable Recovery
Fast Faller
Lack of Close Combat Options
One of the Worst Grab Ranges in the Game (Most Likely)

It's safe to say that Mega Man is a very versatile character due to his projectiles. However, based on what we know he'll have to use them creatively in order to have offensive momentum. Bar the Mega Buster, none of his projectiles are made for pressuring or knockback like Pit's Arrows, Mario's Fireballs, or Lucario's Aura Sphere because they pass through opponents and focus more on pushing. Mega Man has very few close combat options bar the Flame Sword/Slash Claw, meaning he may have trouble with those who have options to get in on him.

While Rush Coil isn't a bad move, it's his only recovery option and it potentially leaves him helpless. However, thanks to moves like the Charge Shot, Leaf Shield, and Hard Knuckle, Mega Man does have many edge guarding options. The Mega Buster is hands down a great move for approaching opponents, but the real question is whether or not it can be reflected/absorbed.

Ultimately Mega Man is looking to be a mid tier character with a high learning curve that will pay off for those who are creative.

Here are a couple match ups, off the topic of my head, that I thought were worth mentioning:

Advantage:
Bowser, DK, Zelda, Link, Wii Fit Trainer,

Even:
Mario, Luigi, Pit, King Dedede, Little Mac, Sonic, Samus,

Disadvantage:
Toon Link, Pikachu, Diddy Kong, Peach, Kirby, Lucario,

Little Mac - Based on his Trailer, Little Mac does have some options for getting in on Mega Man, which will be the real deciding point in this match up. However, Mega Man will more than likely have a very easy time edge guarding him.

Villager - Aside from maybe stealing the Leaf Shield, Mega Man doesn't have too much to worry about unlike say Samus's Charge Shot, in regards to Villager's Item Gathering move. Villager's poor vertical recovery gives Mega Man the advantage in the air. This match is looking to be in Mega Man's favor.

Rosalina - Mega Man's going to have a tough time with her as the Luma will most likely block Mega Man's main approach option (Mega Buster). However, projectiles such as the Metal Blade can potentially get around that. Unless Rosalina is faster in general than Mega Man, this match is even.

Olimar - This match is in Mega Man's favor bar Olimar's juggle options. Pikmin Throw will most likely not eat Mega's projectiles as they are known to pass through characters, Olimar has few options to handle the Mega Buster approach, and Olimar will have a tough time against MM's edge guarding potential.

Marth - Unlike Little Mac, Marth doesn't have many options for getting in on Mega Man, however, his juggle game and more polished air game/edge guarding are good trade offs. This match is probably slightly in Marth's favor.

Fox - Yes he has a Reflecting attack, however, it's still not a move to be used frequently, nor can it punish MM as much as say Samus's Charge Shot would. All it would do is give an option against camping. Depending on Fox's mobility, this match is fairly even.

Thanks for letting me give this long analysis, I hope you all enjoyed it. The first two parts can be found in the previous two Week in Review issues. If you have any comments or criticisms regarding Mega Man or this analysis feel free to make you opinions known (I know I am by no means a competitive expert, let alone on any single character), just keep in mind that the game is still in development and everything is subject to change.

Those those interested in learning more about the series please check out Mega Man Wiki. Next week Mario_and_Sonic_Guy will have an analysis on Rosalina, so please look forward to that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thread of the Week!
Author: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

In addition with adding the Stage Analysis, I will also be adding a weekly addition to the WiR. This is titled the "Thread of the Week". It will highlight some of the notable threads that have sprung up around the Smash 4 forums as well as, periodically, threads found in other parts of Smashboards. How I choose these threads are based on several factors:

1) Popularity: Is it a popular thread that stands the test of time?
2) Relevant: How relevant is it? Is it applicable to Smash 4 and relevant to the week?
3) Potential: Does it have potential to be a great thread? Will being featured in tWiR bring more attention and members to it?
4) Importance to Smashboards: Does it has an positive influence/impact on the forums? Does it contribute to discussion?

This weeks "Thread of the Week" is:

"Zelda Franchise Discussion"
http://smashboards.com/threads/zelda-franchise-discussion.326217
Creator: @lobotheduck21

The Legend of Zelda franchise is a massive franchise spanning from 1986 to 2014 and is still ongoing. It has more than 30 games and has a game on almost every single Nintendo console save for the Virtual Boy. It has a vast collection of both main and spin-off games within its collection Here is a following list of Legend of Zelda games and dates:

The Legend of Zelda (1986, NES)
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (1987, NES)
Zelda (Game & Watch) (1989, G&W)
The Legend of Zelda (Game & Watch) (1989, G&W)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991, SNES)
Zelda no Densetsu: Kamigami no Triforce (1992, Barcode Battler II)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993, GB)
Link: The Faces of Evil (1993, CD-i)
Zelda: The Wand of Gamelan (1993, CD-i)
Zelda's Adventure (1994, CD-i)
BS Zelda no Densetsu (1995, Satellaview)
BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban (1997, SNES/Satellaview)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998, N64)
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (1999, GBC)
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (2000, N64)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (2001, GBC)
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (2001, GBC)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Four Swords (2002, GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2002, GC)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (2004, GC)
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (2004, GBA)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (2006, GC, Wii)
Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (2006, DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (2007, DS)
Link's Crossbow Training (2007, Wii)
Tingle's Balloon Fight (2007, DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (2009, DS)
Irozuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip (2009, DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (2011, 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (2011, DSi)
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (2012, Wii)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (2013, WiiU)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (2013, 3DS)
Unreleased: The Legend of Zelda for Wii U, Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
Consequently, the Zelda franchise has a wealth of colorful characters that could be included into Super Smash Bros. In Super Smash Bros. 64, Link was the only representative for the Zelda franchise but saw a large increase to three additional representatives. These were Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf, and Young Link and were well-received by fans. Unfortunately, besides Shiek, most of the Legend of Zelda cast fares poorly in competitive Melee.

Shiek - 4th
Ganondorf - 10th
Link - 16th
Young Link - 17th
Zelda - 18th
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list#SSBM_tier_list

However, they even fell further in Brawl's tier list though Toon Link's inclusion was a step up for the series.

Toon Link - 13th
Zelda/Shiek - 24th
Shiek - 25th
Link - 35th
Zelda - 27th
Ganondorf - 38th
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Tier_list#SSBB_tier_list

Many agree that Super Smash Bros. already has a the three Triforce masters (Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf) and adding more characters is not needed as they help represent LoZ in Super Smash Bros. Young Link, Toon Link, and Shiek is generally thought of nice additions. However, with Toon Link returning as a veteran for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS; what does this leave for other possible candidates?

The Zelda Franchise Discussion thread serves to discuss the Legend of Zelda series and its relationship to Super Smash Bros. as a whole. It covers many areas of topics such as how veterans would appear in SSB4's art style, who might be a possible Zelda newcomer, improvements to veterans, and arguments such as the ongoing Shiek vs Impa debate. You can also come in and just talk Zelda. The thread was created on August 8th, 2012 and has logged in 2,319 replies, 35,515 views at 58 pages. While it has periods of inactivity, it is still an important thread that serves as the main hub for Zelda fans and debaters.
[collapse=LoZ character support threads]
Definitely
Linkhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324183
Zeldahttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324216
Ganondorfhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324175
Might
Shiekhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324217
Toon Linkhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324207
Ghirahamhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324289
Groosehttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324289
Skull Kidhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325875
Impa
Tinglehttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324816
Others
Kaepora Gaebora
Vaatihttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=326232
Zanthttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325107
Midnahttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324311
Buchahttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324805
Fi
Young Linkhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324215
Mask Linkhttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324322
Toon Zeldahttp://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=324532[/COLLAPSE]
@lobotheduck21

In the opening thread, several characters are listed as being potential inclusions as newcomers. These include:
Ghirahim (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Groose (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword)
Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask) -DECONFIMRED: Assist Trophy
Tingle (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, and spin-off games)
Impa (Nortably the The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time or Skyward Sword)
Midna (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Other characters: Vaati, Zant, Bucha, Kaepora Gaebora, Young Link, Mask Link, Toon Zelda, maybe Fi,

Inside the thread, many members debate and discuss how certain Zelda characters and elements can be included in Super Smash Bros.

The only other potential option outside of Ghirahim is Toon Zelda, given that she was planned for Brawl.

However, I see a Zelda character not being added being more likely than adding her.
Even if Phantom Zelda would be cool to see.
@GoldenYuiitusin

Probably the most likely are Ghirahim and Toon Zelda.

I think you're overestimating Groose's popularity a bit.

I think it'd be awesome if they had a Toon Link trio like the regular trio. Toon Link, Toon Zelda and Vaati. I'd way rather have Ghirahim or Midna though. If they cut Toon Link and added those too, I'd love it.
@sheik93

Personally, what I would do:

Link
- Navi will always be hovering over his shoulder.

Zelda/Shiek
- Split off Shiek and convert to Impa. The two characters are now separated.
- New down specials for both characters, obviously.

Ganondorf
- Whole new moveset. Utilizes iconic moves like the overhead lightning ball throw and etc.

Toon Link
- REPLACED with...

Skull Kid
- Takes a cue from TL's light fast stats and arrives as technically the only newcomer.

The Legend of Zelda:
Link
Zelda
Impa
Ganondorf
Skull Kid
@Barbasol

I believe this will happen.

Link
Essentially the same but tweaked moves and will look like in his latest game (e.g. Skyward Sword).

Zelda/Shiek/Impa
Zelda will be the same as before and will look as her newest form (e.g. Skyward Sword). They may create a new Shiek but I would prefer Impa to replace her. She's one of the few reoccuring characters and should be represented. Impa would be just like Shiek just different in looks.

Ganondorf
Fix everything....

Young/Toon Link
I view Toon Link as the newest version of Young Link and to me they're pretty much represent the Young Link games. I did like the Toon Link color more to represent the NES Zelda games (which is my main). They could give him new specials to make him different then adult Link but it will depend on what version they use. I think him shooting beams from his sword would be rather epic.

And personally that's all I think should be represented of the Zelda universe. Now if they're really going to add a new Zelda character then the next choice is....(I can't believe I'm saying this)....is Tingle.

I do not see how anyone can think one hit wonder side characters likes Midna, Groose, Ghriamn (sp), etc... could even have a chance. Don't get me wrong they're interesting and cool characters (well except Groose) but they don't represent the Zelda universe as a whole.

I could think of tons of Zelda characters that would be awesome in Smash.

-Darunia (OOT): Megaton Hammer weilding, Sumo fighting, awesome dancing, Goron
-Happy Mask Salesman (OOT/Majora's Mask): As one person mention before but yeah....sooo creepy but awesome. Not creepy like Tingle.
-Krazy Tracy (Link's Awakening): Dominatrix style character similar to Ivy.
-Agahinim (L2P): Great rep for Link to the Past and interesting sorcerer character.
-The Great Fairy: Hey if Palutena can be playable why can't she?

Not saying that any of the character have a chance I'm just stating that there are tons of cool Zelda characters.
@Master Rapier

I wouldn't consider Ganondorf a absolute guarantee. While very, very likely, he does have "some" competition from Demise

I'd love to see a secondary villain; primarily one of the one-shot antagonists; primarily Skull Kid but I highly, highly doubt he can/will get in. So, for a new zelda rep that isn't a version of Link, I am placing my hope in Toon Zelda. But even that is unlikely.
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom (LOL...how silly I was back then)

1. Link (duh)
2. Zelda(Zelduh) / Sheik (It's ludicrous to think Impa will replace her...)
3. Toon Link (Sakurai likes having a Child Link.)
4. Ganondorf (Missing one game because it was a prequel means nothing...)
5. Ghirahim (While currently a one-shot, he has much more going for him than for people like Zant.)
@Opossum

Note that all of these posts are from 2012 which are not reflective of the current developments with Smash 4 yet are still important (and fun to read) in retrospect. Many have suggested the obvious trio: Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. Link and Zelda have been revealed as well as Toon Link who was often being cut for a newer character or possibly a different version of Link. Some of these versions includes the return of Young Link, Retro (Classic) Link, Wolf Link, and Masked Link.

Back during the Skyward Sword era, some thought (and still think) that Impa could be a good substitute for Shiek.

Thing is, I want Impa with a different kind of moveset than Sheik. And there's a LOT that Impa can do that they didn't / couldn't do with Sheik. Sheik's special moves could always become alternatives for Impa, if we get to have selectable special moves.

I like the idea of Impa being a stance character, having about 3 different ways of attacking, one being offensive / speedy (like Sheik), one more defending (her regular stance, fighting with her palms and whatnot-like Lucario- she'd also use magic in her moves) and a more balanced stance (not sure what sort of pose she'd take now but perhaps she'd grab a ninja-like weapon as a combat knife or nunchucks).

At the very least, Impa should set herself appart from Sheik because of that barrier she used in that one cutscene. That'd be an awesome move, and something Smash lacks.

With Namco working togheter with Sakurai, and there not being a lot of possible characters to have a more 'humanoid' fighting style (outside of Little Mac), I could see Impa bringing a bit of regular fighting game's fighting styles to Smash Bros. and that's something many people would welcome I feel.
@Diddy Kong

But with Shiek not being revealed yet, it is unknown if this will happen but if you want to know more about Impa feel free to contact Diddy Kong.

Prior to the E3 reveal, most were content with seeing Link return as his SS look but some wished Zelda to stay the same in Brawl while others wished to see her in her SS version:

I think they might stick with TP-esque designs if Smash 4 has the same realistic style as Brawl. Once you take out the cartoony shading/colors, the only thing really seperating the TP/SS styles are the clothing and Links lips.
@shinpichu

I honestly don't see them changing. Maybe they'll add Impa with a SS design, but I think the TP character designs look fine. To be honest, I always pictured SS Zelda as much less of a fighter than TP Zelda. I'm sure seeing it in action could change my mind, but I dunno.
@Banjodorf

Just make Link, Zelda, Ganondorf and possibly Impa or another recurring character as composite characters drawing characteristics from all of their incarnations and picking the attributes better suited for a fighter.

Take Brawl Zelda for example: she has TP design, Light Arrows from WW and TP, spells from Ocarina of Time and Sheik transformation from Ocarina of Time.
@Frostwraith

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to see what style designs they have decided to go for Link (and Zelda if she shows up too.) Then we can at least finally end that debate...

I wonder if ALTTP2 will get at least a stage... :/ I'm not sure whether we would get Classic Link, Toon Link, Young Link, anyone else or none at all though... But we will probably find that out once the game is released.
Now fast forward to the E3 reveal...

So Link in Smash 4 uses his Twilight Princess design once again. Texturally he's much more vibrant and while his model is way higher-res, the design is identical. They skipped out on the Skyward Sword look—guess it wasn't popular enough. Might this indicate that Zelda, Ganondorf, and Sheik (if she returns) will also borrow their appearances from TP? If so, I will personally be disappointed—but maybe they'll embrace designs from across the series instead, like many around here have speculated (like in the post above!).

Perhaps Link's continued use of the TP look is an indication of what Nintendo is doing with Zelda Wii U. Either way, we have four pieces of Legend of Zelda information:

TP Link confirmed (GCN/Wii rep).
Skyloft confirmed (Wii rep).
Spirit Train/Spirit Rails confirmed (DS rep).
Gerudo Valley confirmed (3DS rep).
@Spire

Many thought that Zelda would follow suit as well as Gondorf in having an updated visual outlook utilizing TP and SS as a basis. A composite of sorts.

Okay guys.

This Link is a composite of different Links.
He borrows the color scheme from SS.
He borrows the tunic design from TP.
He borrows the face from OoT.

This Link is not a specific Link. It's a composite of Links.

Hopefully Toon Link (if included) does something similar.
@Swampasaur

So I have gone a bit in-depth about how users thought Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf would be represented in SSB4 but.....how would other unconfirmed characters appear? I gathered some posts that may highlight on some potential characters:

If I'm not mistaken, Tetra has actually been in more games than any other Zelda character, so it makes sense that she'd be in the game. I would definitely just want to see her as a non-transforming Tetra though, not Zelda. The pirate girl just fits her so much better than a dress does and looks a little less like they just threw in toon versions of everyone. If she was a clone character (because, well, let's be honest) who would she be a clone of?

While of course independent characters are cooler than clones, I do think there's something fun about slow/powerful clones of fast characters and vice versa. It could be fun to see Toon Ganondorf as a slower/powerful clone of Lloyd Irving and Tetra be a fast clone of... um. Someone. Nothing actually makes much sense, especially if Sakurai wants to avoid characters wielding knives... Actually, the thing that makes the most sense would be a heavily luigified version of Toon Link and perhaps giving Toon Link new specials from his own games? She has a blade, the pirates love bombs, and she could shoot Light Arrows. Maybe her Up Special could be her launching out of a cannon instead, replace the boomerang with, I dunno, Bombchus?
Hmm.
@LaniusShrike

And for the rest of theTingle Moveset:
Neutral Special: Fairy Dust: Throws Fairy Dust at his opponents. Does very little damage, but I hear it really bother his opponents. Especially because they have no idea what "fairy dust"
Forward Special: Rosy Rupee: Tingle shoots a rupee. Damage depends on value of rupees. Green = 1%. Blue = 5%. Red = 20%. Rupoors hit Tingle and give him ten percent damage, but very rare
Up Special: Balloon Float: Balloons raises Tingle up and he can move like a balloon fighter. Balloon can be popped if it receives up to 60% damage itself, and if he drops, he will automatically perform...
Down Special: Kooloo-Limpah - Flips backward if he's falling and hits the opponents below with fairy dust. Fairy Dust hits from both sides. If on the ground, he does a backflip and then performs the move. Can be a knock out move.
Tingle invented these signature moves himself. Don't steal them.
@jaytalks

How would you guys feel if this guy became a playable character?

After all, he's proven in the past he has special powers. He can distinguish Link even as a Wolf and can clear the Cave of Ordeals.
@Groose

Vaati's part of the big 3 important Zelda characters that haven't been represented yet, the other's being Impa and Tingle

With Groose, I loved him as a character, especially with his character developement. He begins as a character you hate and then you grow to love him and I would love to see him in future Zelda games. I think I'd also like his playstyle and if he got the moveset I've made for him that would be bonus points.
@ScatmansWorld25

Let's try and think of ways for Zelda potentials to stand out. I can't think of any for Skyward Sword because I've yet to finish it.

Tingle: Either based around gathering something to become more powerful over time or being as (desperately wanting a better word) random as possible.

Impa: Don't know what she does in Skyward Sword but could either inherit Sheik's moves or have her own. Sheikah are basically Ninjas so that opens all kinds of trickery and stealth options.

Midna/Wolf Link: Take the concept of ivysaur and up it a notch. A short character but still has a long body to watch out for.

Eh, that's all I got.
@Guybrush20X6

The Zelda Franchise Discussion thread, much like most franchise discussion threads, tend to go in loops; constantly bringing up old ideas, changing old ideas to fit in with recent developments, or discussing about said developments. Back in 2012 and 2013 and up to Toon Links return, many discussed how he would return/be cut, who could replace him, or how he could be updated. the entire Ganondorf and Demise arguments surfaces every now and then. However, one argument that will persist until Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS is the Impa vs Shiek debate. Since the dawn of the thread, this has been fought over and over again and discussed to the ground. But then....

....the entire possible "Phantom Down+B" was started.

I like what is going on in this thread. :)

#TeamImpa

Phantom is new Down B btw.
@Diddy Kong

Why would it? Sheik is the whole reason Zelda got into Melee; it made her unique. Why destroy that part of her character to bring in a new character with the same moveset? Seems silly to me.

Of all the veterans to be ditched from SSB4, I definitely don't see Sheik as one of them. But whatever. I have no attachment to the character and honestly don't care what happens as long as Sheik2 doesn't take up a Newcomer slot.
@UltimateWario

Which is where the thread is at right now.

If you want to discuss the Legend of Zelda and its representation in Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS, head over to the Zelda Franchise Discussion thread and start talking about. Whether you think Zelda will get 5 reps, if Vaati, Tingle, Ghirahim, Toon Zelda, or others will appear as a newcomer, if you think Impa is a better choice than Shiek, or you just want to profess your love of the franchise.

Check back next week for a new page in "Thread of the Week"!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This Weeks I want YOU to Vote!

When do you think the release date will be?

Spring 2014 (March through May)
Summer 2014 (June through August)
Fall 2014 (September through November)
Winter 2014 (December)
Winter 2015 (December through February)
Spring 2015 (March through May)
After Spring 2015 (June through December)

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
Wow, great WiR.

I was wondering about that Animal Crossing stage. The website didn't provide a link to the post.:confused:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
As always, great review.
Also, I'm pretty sure the bumper being at an angle means it wasn't picked up and activated yet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A great read as always, keep them coming. I personally think Smash 4 will be released by August, so I went with Summer 2014.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@ --- --- is currently working on the Mega Man analysis part 3 but, due to midterms, it will be a bit late. Please check in later to read it!

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I want to let everyone know in advance that my upcoming Rosalina article will be split into two parts, much like with how the Villager article was handled.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sorry for any delay in the Mega Man analysis. I highlighted certain keywords in order to help make it a bit more readable.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Strange. I'll change it when I can. I think I put it there earlier but forgot to change it. My mistake.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am working on the new issue. Solid updates this week so they have been a blast to write.:)

I will be keeping this open so I can get a few more votes.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
I'm going to vote Fall 2014. I don't think the game will be pushed to 2015. Also, wonderful job on the WIR! That's the first one I've read, and I have to say I'm mighty impressed!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I am locking and unsticking this. Check back alter today for the new issue of tWiR!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom