• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Week in Review Issue #21

What is your opinion on For Glory/For Fun?

• I really like both ideas!

Votes: 42 70.0%
  • I really don't like either idea/

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am neutral.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I like For Fun.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I like For Glory

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The Week in Review Edition #21
6/02- 6/06

Banner by @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Staff
Writers:

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
@TumblrFamous
@---
@Opossum
@Mario_and_Sonic_Guy
@Frostwraith

@ Pazzo. Pazzo.
@ Gunla Gunla
@ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Editor:
@Aerodrome

I would like to take this time to apologize for the lack of content in tWiR. Sadly, I have been very busy so I have not been able to give my 100% all to the articles. Wthin a few weeks, however, I think I will be able to dedicate more time to it. Again, I apologize and I hope you enjoy the articles.

I would like to say a big and huge thank you to:
Previous Issues

[collapse=Previous Issues]
To view the previous issues
Issue #1
Issue #2
Issue #3
Issue #4
Issue #5
Issue #6
Issue #7
Issue #8
Issue #9
Issue #10
Issue #11
Issue #12
Issue #13
Issue #13 Direct
Issue #14
Issue #15
Issue #16
Issue #17
Issue #18
Issue #19
Issue #20
[/collapse]

Want to help or contribute?

[collapse=Rules and Other Infos]This is the first edition of "The Week in Review". The Week in Review will be a series of articles I have made throughout the week concerning the Pic of Day through using posts, threads, and MiiVerse to pool information and opinions about Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS . However, the articles are not only limited to my own observation but to those of the larger Smash 4 community. Users are encouraged to submit articles and observations as well as opinions concerning the pictures that were updated throughout the week. I will explain how you can contribute later.

So what can you expect from this thread? On Friday, I will update the thread with a new article which will contain the Pic of the Day, other relevant images, information, I will also be pulling out interesting and thought provoking posts that have popped up throughout the week on the various threads such as the Wii U Discussion thread, 3DS Discussion Thread, MiiVerse Photo Thread, Roster Discussion Thread, character support threads as well as the Super Smash Bros, Wii U/3DS Backroom thus linking them altogether. In addition, I will also be adding up any information that Sakurai has revealed outside of the website/MiiVerse such as interviews and news articles.

I will open the thread on the weekend for people to talk about how the week went and comment on the articles. However, I will be closing the thread on Monday in order to prevent premature discussion about the weeks updates. I will be operating on Japanese Standard Time since both myself and Sakurai (OMG both of us in the same sentence?!?!?!) live on JST. View the JST Page in order to fully understand how time works.

Additionally, while this thread will focus on solely the Pic of the Day, I will sometimes allow pieces to be written about Smashboards, the Smash Community, MiiVerse, or Sakurai information. Additionally, once we have more information regarding the nature of the character, I will allow a user to write up an in-depth analysis of a character, veteran or newcomer. So come show your stuff!

Why is this thread needed?

We do have various discussion threads pertaining to various aspects of Smash. However, this is less of a discussion thread and more like a newsletter. I intend to present the facts and portray an unbiased review of the week. It will also serve as a hub to collect information, pictures, and articles that have been released in a weekly format thus allowing users to review the past weeks for better understanding how to predict future updates or to comb through information in an effective manner. It will also serve as a place to users to present their information, opinions, and observations in a semi-academical format. More information is listed below. If you see an interesting, funny, thought-provoking, or ridiculous post either on the SWF or on MiiVerse, PM me about it and I will include it! If you want me to remove you from a certain Tag, PM me and I will take you off.

Also, I wanted to use this space to allow users to be creative and constructive in speculating Smash in a more journalistic manner. I will not edit any posts except if they are inappropriate, bypass the censor, hateful in nature, or irrelevant.

How can I help?

You can contribute to this thread in many ways.
1) You can serve as a guest writer. This is done by contacting me via PM and apply to be a guest writer for the current week. I am able to allow or refuse the guest writer based on past credentials and reputation within the Smash 4 community so please keep that in mind.

After approval, I can either give you a piece to write OR you can choose one yourself. It should be focused on a particular Pic of the Day. Please promptly let me know which one you intend to. If I do not hear from you within a day, I will not accept an article. The article itself should be professionally written with little to no grammar or spelling mistakes. Any sources should be cited with a link to direct readers. While I understand some updates may be hard to write for, please write at least two paragraphs for each update. Unless it is an update of Luigi's nose but I am sure someone can find some Freudian psycho-analysis about that update. Please refer to the first edition post about how to write an article (though I am pretty sure many journalist/lit majors can do a much better job than I can lol).

2) You can help me gather posts that are excellent or at least interesting in nature. PM me any posts concerning a particular update and I will then add it to the articles. I frequent the above mentioned threads on a daily basis but I obviously miss things so I am heavily dependent on everyone getting me those great and thought-provoking posts. I want this thread to showcase what the brilliant minds in the Smash 4 community can do!

3) While you can discuss past and future weeks, please refrain from dissecting or analyzing the previous/future weeks and save that for the current week.

4) Could someone be a dear and make a banner for this thread. It's not urgent but a banner would be grand.[/collapse]

Table of Contents

1.1 Day #1: Mushroom Kingdom U
2.1 Day #2: Honey, I Shrunk the Trophies!
3.1 Day #3: Bring it Back, Bring it Back
4.1 Day #4:
5.1 Day #5:
6.1 Week Overview
7.1 Week in Review Interview: @Opossum
8.1 Gearing up for E3
8.1 We Want YOU to Vote! Results
9.1 Sakurai's Diary
10.1 Help Wanted

Mushroom Kingdom U
Day #1: Monday
Writer: @ Rocket Raccoon Rocket Raccoon

Monday, surprisingly brought us a new Wii U stage called Mushroom Kingdom U. The first picture seems to take place in the game's first world Acorn Plains.

Acorn Plains is the grassy first world( as seen in the first picture) of New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. It lies south of Layer Cake Desert, west to Sparkling Waters, Soda Jungle and Rock-Candy Mines, and south-west of Frosted Glacier, Meringue Clouds and Peach's Castle. It is a plains world with acorn trees, blue-green hills, shrubs, jagged mountains reminiscent of some of the backgrounds in Super Mario World and the world's most defining feature, the Acorn Tree. This special tree is one of main sources of the game's new power-up, the Super Acorn.
The second picture is from Sparkling Waters World.

Sparkling Waters is the tropical third world of New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. Players can reach it by moving south from the end of Layer-Cake Desert. Sparkling Waters lies east of Acorn Plains, south-east from Layer-Cake Desert, south from Frosted Glacier, west from Soda Jungle and Rock-Candy Mines and south-west from Meringue Clouds and Peach's Castle. Sparkling Waters is an archipelago with bubbling water geysers, which is quite similar to World 3 from New Super Mario Bros.
For the first picture, Sakurai said:

Pic of the day. Here's a new Wii U stage, Mushroom Kingdom U! It brings to life the worlds of New Super Mario Bros. U.
And for the second picture, Sakurai gave a tad bit more information saying:

When Kamek casts a spell, the stage transforms drastically! That said, this is not what you would call a moving stage…
…By the way, this stage will be playable in the demo version of the game for E3, a game expo that starts on June 10 in Los Angeles.
Here are some of the other possible forms that Kamek may change the stage into.

Layer-Cake Desert is the sandy second world of New Super Mario Bros. U, lying directly north of Acorn Plains, northwest of Sparkling Waters and Soda Jungle and southwest from Frosted Glacier. Unlike the previous desert worlds, which had Egyptian pyramids, it has various desserts within the world, such as giant cakes (with one giant cake in the world map) and giant melting ice cream cones.

Soda Jungle is the jungle-themed fifth world of New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. It is the largest world in the game, both physically and in terms of courses. The world, as its name implies, takes place in a jungle inspired by Big Island from Super Mario Bros. 3, Forest of Illusion from Super Mario World and World 4 from New Super Mario Bros. in terms of appearance, layout and theme as the jungle is giant-themed within both the world map and the normal levels, as well as big enemies or big variations of small enemies, like Grand Goombas and Gargantua Koopa Troopas. The dead trees in the center of the jungle leads to a haunted area.

Frosted Glacier is the snowy fourth world of both New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U, lying northeast of Layer Cake Desert, Sparkling Waters, and Acorn Plains, north of Soda Jungle, northwest of Rock-Candy Mines and Meringue Clouds, and west of Peach's Castle. Frosted Glacier is a cold and snowy world with pine trees and indigo mountains similar to World 5 from New Super Mario Bros., but to take place during a constellation-filled night.

Meringue Clouds is a sky world similar to World 7 from previous New Super Mario Bros. games, but unlike that world, Meringue Clouds takes place during sunset and Ludwig's Clockwork Castle taking place right in front of the tornado surrounding Peach's Castle, which is marked off by different cloud colouration. It seems to take over a cliff next to World 1, the grass-themed world from the previous New Super Mario Bros. games.

Peach's Castle is the final area of the main game in New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U. It seems to be in the same place as it was in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. However, this iteration has a large moat surrounding the castle, an extra floor, as well as a tower on the right of the castle.
Many members, such as myself, expected filler. Let's see their reactions, shall we?
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS U STAGE.

YAAAAY.
@APC99
Ermahgerd it's a NSMBU stage.

EDIT: And it has multiple states....?
@GoldenYuiitusin

OKAY, LET THE E3 HYPE TRAIN BEGIN!
@ZeldaMaster

OK I'm eating my words now, this Monday isn't so disappointing!

My words are delicious!
@Tillie-152

HOLY CRAP MARIO IS JESUS LOOK AT HIM STAND ON WATER

...I mean, cool, the water acts as a platform.
@GoldenYuiitusin

I guess this disconfirms Bigass Purple Pufferfish Guy. :c
@Sehnsucht

Things Confirmed for Monday:

1. New Wii U stage called Mushroom Kingdom U.
2. Sakurai officially recognizes the demo and E3.
3. This stage will be playable at the demo/E3.
e4. Kamek disconfirmed.

Honey, I Shrunk the Trophies!
Day #2: Tuesday

Writer:

Tuesday showed us a new trophy in the from of Tortimer Island. This is the first trophy confirmed to be a stage which was something included in Super Smash Bros. Melee but left out largely in Brawl with the exception of the Halberd, Pirate Ship, Luigi's Mansion, the Great Fox, and technically Frigate Orpheon. That is 5 total.

Super Smash Bros. Melee had Peach's Castle, the Great Fox, Whispy Woods, Fountain of Dreams, Pokemon Stadium, Mute City, Game and Watch, Battlefield, and Final Destination. That is 9 total. Judging from Tuesday's PotD, we may be getting more stage based trophies that are shrunken down to showcase a particular aspect of that stage such as Tortimer Island.

Here is what Sakurai had to say about the update:

"Pic of the day. Some stages have been shrunk down and made into trophies, like this one of Tortimer Island for the 3DS version. I wish I could have a figurine like this in real life."
These trophies will most likely be on both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Some stages such as Prism Tower, Mario Galaxy, Pyrosphere, Arena Ferox, and others look like they would make great additions as trophies/

Here are some fan responses:

Sakurai, I have no doubt that you could get a figurine of this if you wanted. It's your game and you have the money XD
Anyways, I like the attention to the trophies. I wasn't really expecting much more especially with E3 in a week. I feel like I'm one of the only ones that goes through the trophies and looks at them and reads about them. Well anyways, I liked it, so you've got me there with you Sakurai.

And yes...I want one, too.
Sqa$

Is he hinting at NFC figures for Smash? :surprised:
JCDied4U

It would have been cute if they had the Villager dressed up as a Kappa on the figurine.
Uffe

Stages as trophies have been a thing since Melee, so this is nothing new.
Claire Deviner

Man, if I had any sculpting talents I would make one and send it too him. Maybe I can persuade some of my art friends to make one.
Master Rapier

I'd like to see them try to make a trophy of Pilot Wings somehow.
armlesspuppeteer09

Sakurai just ruined the character of Tortimer Island by shrinking it down. It's supposed to be this gargantuan vacation retreat for Tortimer, now it just looks like the dinky little island from the Spongebob intro. This is a sad, sad day for all of us.
BKupa666

Good to see we'll be getting stage trophies again. I would just hope that they include every stage rather than just a couple like in Melee.
---

Umh some of them. I was hoping for everyone of them. Even Melee and Brawl had a bunch of stage trophies.
Vintage Creep

While the PotD was well-received, even after a great PotD on Monday, many expressed concern over the NFC figurine possibility (Disney Ifinity and Skylanders) or that every stage will not recieve a trophy.

Things confirmed for Tuesday:

1. Several stages will have a shrunken down trophy.
2. Tortimer Island will be one of them on the 3DS.

Bring it Back, Bring it Back

Day #3: Wednesday
Writer: @TumblrFamous

This week has been pretty decent. So far, we've gotten a new stage and a confirmation of stage trophies. Well, what could we possibly get today? Well, we got the official confirmation of the Boomerang! While we saw it in the photo dump after the Smash Bros. Direct, we never had an official confirmation or explanation of the item.

Yoshi using the Boomerang. Image from the April Photo Dump.

"Pic of the day. Here's a new item that we've thrown in--the boomerang. As you'd guess, it'll fly back into your hands after you throw it, and if you keep catching it, its attack power grows with each throw! However, opponents can nab the boomerang out of the air, so it might be an easier item to use in Smash Run."
-Masahiro Sakurai

Ha. How punny. Thrown in. Anyway, hailing from the Mario Universe, the Boomerang first appeared in Super Mario Bros. 3, under the ownership of the new enemies called the Boomerang Bros. The Boomerangs went under a long hiatus until 2011, in Super Mario 3D Land where Mario gains a new form, Boomerang Mario. After obtaining a Boomerang Flower, Mario transforms into a Boomerang Bro, gaining the ability to throw boomerangs.

The Boomerang Flower allows Mario to throw Boomerangs!

After 3D Land, Boomerangs appeared in Super Mario 3D World, and most recently Mario Kart 8. They generally had the same ability, allowing the player to throw a boomerang to hit an opponent, and it ultimately returns to the player.

In this game, more of the same. The player throws the boomerang, strikes an opponent, and it returns. There are only a few things different. For one, if you get the boomerang back, each consecutive throw becomes more powerful, making you a serious force to be reckoned with. Now, yes, I said IF you get it back. What's interesting is that you have to actually put in effort to get the boomerang back. You have to continue catching it; it won't automatically return to your hands, akin to Link/Toon Link.

Link and Toon Link using their Boomerangs. Unlike this new item, their Boomerangs return to them, no sweat.

As Sakurai said, you essentially have to be careful. If you don't use this item correctly, you could end up having your boomerang fall into the hands of your opponent. Like he suggested, using it on Smash Run enemies is your best bet. Another good idea would be using this item to set off faraway explosives and bombs to annihilate your opponents.

But that's enough talk of how to use it. While we already knew the Boomerang would be in the game, many expected to see an official explanation of the item. However, some weren't too keen on this item, saying it was pretty unnecessary. After all, we already have two special moves which use Boomerangs.

"Here's a new item that we've thrown in."

Oh, Masahiro!
@Wanderer from Roseyard

Eh.. was this item really necessary?
@shinhed-echi

You know what they say.

What goes around,
travels far.
@Sehnsucht

That is actually an interesting gimmick. I was not too impressed with the Boomerang, but with that mechanic, I will wholeheartedly welcome it to the fray.
@MorbidAltruism

While it was a nice update, it was riddled with a bit of negativity and crappy puns. Overall, though, I was hoping for more explanations on the items in the photo dump. A nice explanation to a new item people will be thrilled to use!

Things Confirmed for Wednesday
1. The Boomerang is officially confirmed.
2. Unlike Link and Toon Link, this Boomerang requires you to catch it manually.
3. Other opponents can catch the Boomerang.
4. With each consecutive strike, the Boomerang gets stronger.

A Brewed Awakening
Day #4: Thursday

Writer: @TumblrFamous

Well, for those of you hoping for another new thing today, think again! We have our second Animal Crossing pic this week! Originating from Animal Crossing: Wild World, it's Brewster!!!....... as a background element.

"Pic of the day. Brewster brings The Roost back to Smash Bros. Nothing beats watching a battle of famous fighters with a freshly brewed cup of coffee."
-Masahiro Sakurai

Yep. It looks like Animal Crossing's Brewster is appearing in the background of the Town and City stage. For those of you who don't know, Brewster is a pigeon, originally from Animal Crossing: Wild World. His role in the series remains consistent. He basically offers you coffee for 200 Bells. Once the player has bought enough coffee from him, he will start making his own blends, and even ask what the player's favorite drink is.

In his next appearance, City Folk, he does the same thing. He offers you coffee. However, he will store your gyroids if the player's holding one. Brewster still makes his unique blends, and will even give you hot chocolate on Valentine's Day. Awww, how sweet!!!

In his latest installment, New Leaf, Brewster runs the Café, known as The Roost, in town. Instead of storing gyroids, the player has an option to take-out, helping Brewster make coffee for the residents of the town. And again, he will always make you your own type of coffee.

Brewster in Animal Crossing: New Leaf!

As we saw at the Nintendo Direct, the back of the stage in "Town and City" will have many residents of the town watching the battle. After a certain period, that backdrop with the characters on it will drop and leave the battle, only to reemerge as a new backdrop with other residents. It is possible that Brewster has The Roost already set up in one of those backdrops. Once up, he will most likely be serving coffee to residents who will act as spectators for the battle.

Aww, Brewster, Pelly, and Don Resetti. I love Animal Crossing, and I've never played the series, if that makes any sense lol.
@juddy96

There is going to be a battle brewing! :awesome:
@Uffe

Okay, apart from some crappy puns, we have people complaining about the lack of uninteresting pictures this week.

This week was horrible. I am just going to say it.
@MorbidAltruism

Two Animal Crossing updates in one week? This has to be the most uninteresting week ever... It's a good thing E3 is in like, five days.
@KenithTheGatherer

However, there are people rising against the negativity!

We got a reveal with a new stage that has potential to impress, confirmation of stages as trophies (downsized of course). Admittedly, todays and yesterdays potd's aren't actually great but the first two should be enough to make it not one of the worst weeks.
@a Link to the Forums

It's like they're saving their big guns for some big event or something.
@ArcticWolf

"This week was horrible."

*Snake revealed tomorrow*

"BEST WEEK EVAH!"

And really, people, we got a new stage, and we may get a character tomorrow. :p
@MasterofMonster

It's hard to say it's been an absolutely terrible week, but people are getting antsy. People didn't have much to say about this update other than "HURRY UP SAKURAI REVEAL PEOPLE MORE INTERESTING STUFF!" Then again, E3 is less than a week away. Next week, we'll be getting something worth the wait.​

Things Confirmed for Thursday:

1. Brewster appears as a background element for the Town and City stage.

Are You not Entertained??!!
Day #5: Friday
Writer: @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom

Sakurai updated the MiiVerse section of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS with two blue haired sword fighters: Marth and Ike. Both are expertly wielding their King and Hero appearances. You can tell the differences between the two characters and the strengths they wield: grace and muscle. But what's this? What do I spy with my litte eye....

A new stage?!

Yes!

Sakurai is quoted with this:

Pic of the day. Here's Ike, Marth and…a brand-new stage!
and this for the second picture:

We've added a familiar setting from the Fire Emblem series, the Coliseum. In the original game, this place is filled with both hope and despair. There is machinery in the ground that activates variable platforms.
Wait...the Coliseum....

I wonder if Sakurai ever feels this way when he posts a PotD that no one likes. Anyways, what is exactly the Coliseum for those unfamiliar with the Fire Emblem franchise.

The Arena (闘技場, also known as Colosseum) is a building that first appears in Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi, changes drastically in Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War and reverts to a form similar to that of its original appearance in Fire Emblem: Thracia 776. Arenas do not appear in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance or Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, but then come back again in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon; in all, they appear in 10 games. However, they are once again absent in Fire Emblem: Awakening. They are mainly used to train your characters and gain money in the process.
http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Arena

It is interesting to note that the Coliseum never appeared in Ike's games: Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn which begs the question if we will see a stage based from those games. It is also important to note they are absent from Awakening. It did appear on the console Fire Emblem games such as Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi. According to Sakurai's quote, the stage will change throughout the match which is akin to the 3DS Fire Emblem stage, Arena Ferox.

Most likely, various patforms and buildings will appear, much like Arena Ferox, for players to play on. However, unlike Arena Ferox, it appears there are no ledges to the stage so there walk off blast lines thus making this stage potentially bad for tournaments. Overall, it is great to see a Fire Emblem stage appear on the Wii U and one that looks great!

Things confirmed for Friday

1. The Coliseum is a new stage for the Wii U and represents the Fire Emblem franchise.
It will create various structures for players to fight on.

Overview

Coming soon!​

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Week in Review Interview of the Week

@Opossum
With the hype of E3 building to critical levels, what better way to capitalize on this with an interview from everyone's favorite modsupial, Opossum. Modded earlier this tear, he was a firm supporter of Little Mac prior to his reveal as well as a staunch supporter of Chrom. Needless to say, he is a common sight in the Little Mac sub-forums and the Chrom support thread as well as the Character Discussion thread. Opossum is also active in some of the contests and projects found in the forums. So let's sick abd and enjoy this interview!

1) How long have you been a member on Smashboards and why did you join? When did you become a moderator?
I joined in August of 2011. That summer was crazy. That was when Omega made a post every minute, Burger Knight was a thing, and people were welcoming to the idea of Orbulon in Smash 4. :D

I became a moderator during the great moderator appointment earlier in the year.
2) What is your favorite part of Smashboards? What is your least favorite part?

My answer's actually the same for both: the community.

I love the sense of comradery that many of the users have, and the over all pleasant atmosphere. However, I don't like the pointless fights and grudges that many users have against each other...something I'm all the more aware of now that I'm a mod. :laugh:

3) Will you be getting Super Smash Bros. for Wii U or 3DS?Nope! Why would I waste that much money?

...You know I'm not serious, right? Of course I am!

4) Who are your Mains in 64/Melee/Brawl? Who do you plan to main in Smash 4?
I like playing Jigglypuff in 64, Ice Climbers in Melee, and Olimar, Ice Climbers and Dedede in Brawl. I plan to main either the former three, Little Mac, Villager or Chrom (when he's revealed, haha :p ).

5) Who is your most wanted newcomer for Smash 4? More than one answer is ok.
I got him back in February. :D But yeah, Little Mac was always my most-wanted. Most of the newer guys see me as the "Chrom guy," apparently, but trust me when I say Chrom was always second to Mac for me.

6) What stages would you like to see included in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS? Past stages included?
For one, I'd love to see Fourside and Delfino Plaza return. For new stages, Bowser's Castle, an ice cave-inspired Ice Climber stage, Gangplank Galleon, Cinchville, and Grima would all be cool. Oh, and a Mole Mania stage if possible.

7) What would you like to see improved or expanded from Super Smash Bros. Brawl?
Hitstun improvements would be nice. Also, less spacey filler like Masterpieces. Improved trophy selections would be great. :D

8) What is your best/favorite Smash Bros. moment/memory?
I was facing my brother once. I was using the Ice Climbers, and he was using Ike, I believe. Anyway, Ike flings Popo off the top of the stage for a Star KO, but Nana's still alive, so she F-Smashes Ike and kills him before Popo's star KO animation was done, leaving me the winner. :laugh:

9) Where did your username come from?
I like opossums and I'm not creative. :p

10) Most know you for your support of the blue-haired Fire Emblemer, Chrom. Why do you think this character deserves to be in Smash and in what ways to you see him being implemented (gameplay, move sets, etc).

Haha, I figured Chrom would be asked about. Well, as far as why I personally want him, I loved Awakening. Many people called Chrom bland, which I guess, ironically, caused me to see the good in him. He just seemed like the kind of guy you'd want to hang out with and who'd always be by your side, you know?

Anyway, I mainly think he should be in due to the potential of what he could bring, as well as having an established fanbase who is already familiar with him.

My personal idea for Chrom involves a lot of juggling in his moveset, as in-game he does these sort of sweeping scoop-type slashes and has air attacks, so I think it's fitting.

Plus, he's got the Exalted Falchion and the Fire Emblem in his arsenal, both of which he puts to use in-game. There's potential for shield bashes, holy fire, and a self-healing based playstyle with the Exalted Falchion. Plus, he could logically have a Forward Special as a Spear, finally giving a projectile to a Fire Emblem character.

11)You have participated in a fair share of contests and events here on Smashboards. How do you feel contests and projects contribute to Smashboards?

I think over all it helps with the community aspect, as well as giving posters additional outlets to show their creativity.

12) What is your favorite kind of opossum?
The Virginia Opossum, no doubt! They're the kind in my avatar, the ones practically synonymous with the term.

Though the South American Yapok is cool too.

13) Please tell us one thing about yourself that we may not know?
I'm actually the youngest of the Smash 4 Moderating Staff. I graduate from high school of Friday the 13th actually. :laugh:

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We Want YOU! to Vote Results

Which Veterans do you Expect to be Announced at E3?

First off, I would like to apologize for botching the poll as I made a few mistakes and left out a few characters. I made the mistake of including the Pokemon Trainer but not including Ivysaur and Squirtle as separate characters. I also did not include the Melee veterans Doctor Mario, Mewtwo, Young Link, Roy, and Pichu. I would like to thank Jumpman84 for pointing this mistake to me. This heavily affected the polls standing as I am sure Mewtwo would have gotten a large number of votes and potentially Roy. That being said, please keep this in mind when viewing the polls results:

1. Ness
    24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  2. Lucas
    10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  3. Meta Knight
    32 vote(s)
    65.3%
  4. Dr. Mario
    1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. Wario
    33 vote(s)
    67.3%
  6. Ice Climbers
    22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  7. Captain Falcon
    24 vote(s)
    49.0%
  8. Falco
    8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  9. Ganondorf
    13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  10. Jigglypuff
    7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  11. Mr. Game and Watch
    7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  12. Snake
    12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  13. R.O.B.
    11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  14. Wolf
    2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  15. Roy
    1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  16. Pichu
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Young Link
    1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  18. Mewtwo
    3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  19. Pokemon Trainer (by him/herself)
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. Squirtle
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  21. Ivysaur
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Leading the votes was Wario with 33 votes or 67.3% of the total votes. This does make sense considering Wario was revealed at E3 in 2006 with the Super Smash Bros. Brawl announcement. While some thought we would be revealed at the release of Mario Kart 8, his reveal seems much more likely at E3 and may have come to expect this. Trailing one vote behind was Meta Knight, another E3 2006 newcomer. His appearance at E3 this year is also heavily expected. Meta Knigth scored 32 votes or 65.3% of the votes. Trailing behind it almost 10 votes is Ness and Captain Falcon, two characters that were unlockable from the first game. They were starters in Melee but returned to being unlockabled for Brawl. The topic of unlockable characters is currently being discussed as both Toon Link, Luigi, and Lucario has all be revealed as returning veterans despite being unlockable. Wind Waker HD and Luigi's Masnion 2 should be taken into account of course. Both Ness and the Captain scored 24 votes or 49% of the votes. Behind them at 3rd place was the Ice Climbers who debut during Melee. They scored 22 votes total or 42.9%. They were commonly thought of being revealed during the winter time but 3DS limitations and the notion of transformation characters not appearing has put a considerable chunk of doubt in people's minds.

Behind them were various other characters, most of them unlockable.
Ganondorf scored 13 votes or 26.5%
Snake scored 12 votes 24.5%.
R.O.B. scored 11 votes or 22.4%.
Lucas scored 10 votes or 20.4%.
Falco scored 8 votes or 16.3%.
Jigglypuff and and Mr. Game and Watch both scored 7 votes or 14.3%.
Poor wolf only scored 2 votes or 4.1%.

Finally, Dr. Mario, Ropy, and Young Link scored 1 vote or 2%. Mewtwo scored 3 votes or 6.1%. The rest of the Melee veterans as well as the Pokemon Trainer scored 0 votes. I would expect that the votes would be higher, especially for Roy and Mewtwo and I apologize for that.

Here are what some of the readers said concerning the poll:

I voted Meta Knight, Wario, and Ice Climbers on the poll.
Mario_and_Sonic_Guy

Yeah, man, Mother needs some love.
Chunkybeef

I voted for the six character that I believe will be in the game no matter what:
-Ness
-Captain Falcon
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Ganondorf
-Meta Knight
-Wario
It's odd how these characters have been MIA. Perhaps they are being overhauled? (especially Wario considering he wasn't confirmed today)
I also voted for Snake. This is his last stand. If he's not revealed, he's done.
Brawler610

I voted for Ness, Falcon, and Puff (The only 3 in the Original 12 missing I believe?) along with Wario and MK (for more random reasons).
mimgrim

Mr. G&W, Ice Climbers, Falcon, Ness, ROB, Falco or any combination of the sort.
MisterVideoGaming

I voted for Ness, Falcon, Puffs, and ICs, so we have our last of the original 12, and a Melee vet.
MaskO'Gears

I voted Ness, Wario, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game and Watch, and Wolf.
Dimensionsword64

I think the Pokemon Trainer (minus Charizard) option shouldn't be on the poll. We already know that transformations aren't returning, so we won't get what this option is implying. I think it would have been better to have separated out the options to be Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pokemon Trainer. Also, you forgot Dr. Mario, Young Link, Mewtwo, Pichu, and Roy.
Jumpman84

I figured Wario and Captain Falcon would be revealed; Wario because Mario Kart 8 was released quite recently, Captain Falcon because he's a mean lean hype machine. Nothing's hypier, he's the hypiest!

crazyal02

Voted Snake and ICs, they're the only two who I think have a good reason to be announced at such a big event. Snake is obviously 3rd party, and ICs could receive some changes. Aside from those two it could practically be anyone, or even no one.
Wariofan1

I'm expecting 3-4 veterans to be revealed, and most likely the ones rounding out the starting roster. As a result, I voted Wario, Meta Knight, and Ice Climbers. I also think a Mother character will be shown, and voted for Lucas in the poll as a result, but it could go either way on him or Ness.
spader13

I casted my votes in the poll. While we may not see all of them at E3, I have a good feeling we'll see all of them in the game. At the very minimum, Snake will be there, as he is a guest character and will probably have his own dedicated part of the trailer. Meta Knight and Wario should also debut, since it'd be a great callback to the E3 2006 Brawl trailer. As others have said, having Ness, Captain Falcon, and Ice Climbers would be great, too, if they are starters. My other votes (Dr. Mario, Young Link, Roy, Falco, Mr. Game and Watch, and R.O.B.) are personal preferences, but I know their chances are slim. I voted Mewtwo, as many are expecting him there, but I'd be psyched to see Squirtle or an Ivysaur reveal. Or for them to give us the whammy of Pokémon Trainer as his own character.
Jumpman84

I voted Ness, Captain Falcon, Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta-Knight.
Zzuxon

Overall, Wario, Meta Knight, Ice Climbers, Ness, and Captain Falcon all scored very high compared to the rest of the cast. This could be attributed to the fact that they were either starters at one point in time or were from the original game. The other characters may have fared poorly due to their unlockable status. Likewise, the fact I missed out in including the Melee veterans and separating Ivysaur and Squirtle may of had a hand in the final results.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I apologize but half through writing, my computer just turned off and wont turn on. This was my back up computer with a broken screen so I am trying to do this through my phone and the Wii U so please pardon the dust.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There are so many ways to be neutral in the poll

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Good work another good one great job.

And what the hell seeing mewtwos votes.

How many times do i have to tell you guys/girls mewtwo is not dead from coming back because of the greninja trailer.

(Unless you guys mean't hes not getting shown till after the release of the 3ds version of coarse.)

In other words if i voted on time i would have voted for mewtwo to be shown at E3

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Great WiR. I like both the For Fun and For Glory modes, I will definitely try out both.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I do like both ideas of the For Fun/Glory, although I would have also added Battlefield to For Glory for more variety and balance.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Great week! I know a lot of people were disappointed because this is pre-E3 week, but two stages, an item, and coffee... I approve.

I'm in the "I like both For Fun/For Glory" camp.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm neutral on the online modes.

I lack good Wi-Fi capabilities, so online functions in games don't really interest me.

Last edited:

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I like them, although I probably won't play online so much on the Wii U. Maybe the WiFi problem will change for me.

Last edited:

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
I enjoy the idea of both For Fun and For Glory, depending on how I want to play on that particular occasion. Good foresight on Sakurai's part.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
For Glorious Fun! An excellent idea in my book.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Good work another good one great job.

And what the hell seeing mewtwos votes.

How many times do i have to tell you guys/girls mewtwo is not dead from coming back because of the greninja trailer.

(Unless you guys mean't hes not getting shown till after the release of the 3ds version of coarse.)

In other words if i voted on time i would have voted for mewtwo to be shown at E3
Mewtwo wasn't originally on the poll, as Venus mentioned several times. That's the cause of his (and others) votes being so low.

Speaking of... @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , don't worry about it. I only brought it up because I like the vets a lot (and I think they should have priority over newcomers. Crazy, I know.) and was wondering about it. I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would hate For Fun/For Glory. For Fun is an evolved version of Basic Brawl, the same fun that we're used to. For Glory is built for the hardcore players who don't like items and crazy stages. It's the best of both worlds.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Mewtwo wasn't originally on the poll, as Venus mentioned several times. That's the cause of his (and others) votes being so low.

Speaking of... @ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , don't worry about it. I only brought it up because I like the vets a lot (and I think they should have priority over newcomers. Crazy, I know.) and was wondering about it. I didn't mean to make you feel bad.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would hate For Fun/For Glory. For Fun is an evolved version of Basic Brawl, the same fun that we're used to. For Glory is built for the hardcore players who don't like items and crazy stages. It's the best of both worlds.
Ok that makes sense. Thanks for the correction of why mewtwo only got 3 votes

Just added really late.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eh, For Glory isn't for Hardcore in practice. Here's the thing; Battlefield is the favorite course in competitive play. Final Destination was the most picked among online users. Sakurai thought that means people want to play just on flat courses with no platforms. It's a misunderstanding of what the competitive players want. It caters just to those guys more specifically. That said, it is a neat option to remove obstacles, which I think is neat as a choice.

I do agree that there's no real reason to hate it. Understanding why it's there is a bit nicer(we got this due to online players, pretty much. Sakurai even admitted few people chose something other than Final Destination while online, annoyingly so to some people).

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Anyway I'm assuming that its going to take a little bit to make week in review issue.
I can understand it being a while. We still have the Smashfest tomorrow and a lot to cover, so I'm thinking it won't be until Sunday at the earliest.

@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom , take as much time as you need. We appreciate you and the WiR team's hard work. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. :)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The WiR will be pushed back to Sunday releases instead of Friday to allow time for out writers to finish articles. The E3 edition will be a bit later as there's a lot to cover. Plus, I'm without a computer so managing the WiR on a iPhone and Wii U is frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom