• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Wah Wah Wah : The Wario Matchup thread

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
MK

Waymas summarized it pretty well. Don't get grabbed or dash attacked. I've found that trying to out trying to out patient the character and staying just outside the range of his dash attack/dash grab helps, since you are in a position in which you can anticipate either one of those options and punish it. Don't get put above him because that's obviously bad, and try to recover as safely as you can, since MK has enough movement to chase you rather far offstage. Oh, and don't get grabbed or dash attacked.

Ryu.

His aerials will win the trade against yours most of the time. Play safe or you're going to get a bunch of unnecessary %. You can try to hit him with dair offstage if you manage to put the player in an awkward/uncomfortable position where they'll have to prematurely use their recovery to avoid getting hit. Uair is a good aerial to try and pressure him when he is above you, since they'll have to make a decision between air dodging through it to avoid it (lol) or using Focus Attack to not get popped up further. U tilt seems like a nice answer to some of his aerials, but don't hit Focus Attack with it. Grab or bite focus attack, or just wait for it to end if you aren't confident.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hi Wario mains.

The Charizard boards are currently discussing the Wario vs Charizard matchup.

http://smashboards.com/threads/charizard-matchup-discussion-wario.425288/

We'd like to hear what you guys thinks so please come on and visit. We'd love to hear your thoughts. :4wario::4wario2:

On another note, I don't play Wario too much but I imagine that Wario is outranged by Ryu. They both have great combos but I feel Ryu will have an easier time starting them.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I think we should move on to the next matchup, soon. Not much has been said for a while.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm interested on how the MUs with :4megaman: and :4myfriends: are.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Any suggestions on what MU should we discuss next?
I want to discuss some zoning characters. :4megaman::4pacman: would be great. I'd like to discuss :4myfriends:also. Also, I'd love to discuss :4diddy:again because our original discussion was prepatch diddy which is no longer relevant and I see this character everywhere in tournaments.

But please let's get going on something. I'd suggest we go through 3 characters at a time, with a new 3 every week. There's so many to cover, I'd love to see the board get through them all in a somewhat reasonable timeframe.

Last edited:

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
I say we should discuss either Olimar, R.O.B., Ike, and/or Lucario.

I also concur with revisiting the Diddy MU.

Last edited:

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
I also like to discuss :4myfriends: though, but isn't it better if we wait after the upcoming nintendo direct? Who knows they'll give us a patch with a bunch of stuff.

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
Why not just start with what we know now? Chances are, the changes won't be that huge and even so, we can simply factor in those changes into the discussion if they happen.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I also agree with Ike, since he's starting to become more common. ROB is another one, but that's mostly cause I struggle against him.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I'd like to talk about Duck Hunt Dog, Rosalina and Luma, or Villager since I know the least about them and struggle the most vs them. My Brawl MU knowledge carries me far in this game but those are all new characters and I'd love other people's take on them.

Ike is simple. Don't fall into his traps is the number one thing. Just respect Bair, retreating Ftilt, and Uair. Play very patient and learn to punish his Aether. The rest falls into place.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Just some random info about the Peach Match-up.

I've found that f-air is really good as a poking tool in neutral, big whoop right? Even though it's really good in virtually every match-up, I've noticed it tends to lose to Peach's F-air when she fades away. What I've started doing is playing the stage control game better because of this. I sat down for 35 minutes and tested everything in Wario's toolset to punish Peach's fair if she fades away and nothing Wario has is a true punish. F-air barely doesn't reach peach if you buffer jump oos. What does this mean? It means that if you have stage control, Peach cannot throw out f-air for free, because she'll be less inclined to fade away especially if you've pushed her to the ledge. I've mostly been using f-air an b-air to stuff Peach f-air attempts while I'm occupying center stage simply because they're faster than Peach's fair significantly, and using bike toss offensively when near the edge of the stage or being pressured myself. Also, Peach can't turn around mid-float and rolls are so stupid, so take advantage of that to avoid death and regain stage control. The worst place to be against peach is near the edge of the stage right in position to eat a f-air and die at like 70.

Lastly, superarmor on waft I feel is underrated and underused strategically and purposely. For example, Peach's f-air is a very good move to superarmor if you have the feeling they will throw it out, I've done it before so I know it's something you can react to and punish if your opponent is predictable. I posted way back that even mario's d-throw to u-tilt at 0% can literally be superarmored by a 1 frame margin if you buffer the waft. You might even be able to purposely offset the inert detector on pit's electroshock arm and superarmor the hit, since pit has to commit to the hit once started (usually they use this move to sweetspot ledge).

Last edited:

DoubleD

Smash Rookie
How is everyone finding the cloud match-up? I played good amount of games with a pretty good Cloud today and almost always lost, his range is very good

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Cloud makes me sad. From my sad for glory experiences, I can say, d-air trade-spikes with his up-b. Bike outright beats his projectile iirc, but you can't eat it (i might remember wrong). Neutral seems really annoying. Bike can be initiated to "parry" through his d-tilt. He's very frustrating because you cannot camp him as much as you'd like. I didn't try this, but maybe you have to camp mid-range and feign aggressive play. His range is absurd ad he's really powerful. I'm like 99% sure the priority on Clouds u-air destroys Wario's d-air, so land knowing that you're probably not going to get a counter attack. He seems like combo food when you get in. Sh nair oos is really good because a lot of his attacks are abysmal on shield and he's rather tall. I oddly enough played NairoMK on wifi and got a stock off with u-smash. It seems that like Ike, Cloud has a landing problem. As much as I did not like my first experiences fighting cloud, I did not particularly enjoy fighting Toon Link, Link, Marth/Lucina, Shulk, or Ike for the first time, because disjoints really just change the game for Wario. Just learn their moveset inside out and it becomes so much easier to play around.

Last edited:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Cloud makes me sad. From my sad for glory experiences, I can say, d-air trade-spikes with his up-b. Bike outright beats his projectile iirc, but you can't eat it (i might remember wrong). Neutral seems really annoying. Bike can be initiated to "parry" through his d-tilt. He's very frustrating because you cannot camp him as much as you'd like. I didn't try this, but maybe you have to camp mid-range and feign aggressive play. His range is absurd ad he's really powerful. I'm like 99% sure the priority on Clouds u-air destroys Wario's d-air, so land knowing that you're probably not going to get a counter attack. He seems like combo food when you get in. Sh nair oos is really good because a lot of his attacks are abysmal on shield and he's rather tall. I oddly enough played NairoMK on wifi and got a stock off with u-smash. It seems that like Ike, Cloud has a landing problem. As much as I did not like my first experiences fighting cloud, I did not particularly enjoy fighting Toon Link, Link, Marth/Lucina, Shulk, or Ike for the first time, because disjoints really just change the game for Wario. Just learn their moveset inside out and it becomes so much easier to play around.
You can eat the projectile. Both the limit and non-limit blade beams. Yeah it's going to play similar to the Ike matchup I feel. Although I think it's easier because Cloud's combos aren't as good and his recovery is worse. It's way easier to get around Cloud's sword on his Up B than Ike's sword on his Up B. Also dash attack works at the edge unlike with Ike. So overally feels like a slightly easier version of the Ike matchup.

Cloud makes me sad in one way. His limit down B is just as strong as fart if not stronger (I saw a video where it killed ZSS at 13% in the air) so I feel cloud is intruding a bit on Wario's niche. He's no longer the only character with a scary down B that can take your whole stock at any time. I still think fart is better though, as far as I know there's no good setups to confirm into cloud's finishing touch...it seems so far you need a hard read.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Finishing Touch is nowhere as good as waft. It's frame 16 and it doesn't have armor.

Cloud with the limit break buff is a pain in the ass imo so far. Honestly might make this MU bad for Wario if he got it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm interested in whatever ridiculous BKB/KBG values Finishing Touch would have to have to KO people so early with a 1% attack. It seems affected by Rage a ridiculous amount.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Aight, lets move to Rob, Ike and Peach, 3 weeks seem to be fine to cover all of them ;3

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
I got some experience with these three matchups. But for now I'll do robcuz i need help fighting em the most. Here's what I think...

ROB: the laser and gyro shuts down the bike so bad. His close range attacks are still a bit more ranged than wario. Nair is annoying too. ROB's survivability is a pain to deal with, you might end up regretting about keeping your waft.
What can wario do? ROB is thankfully combo food so getting a sour spot nair, dthrow, or upthrow can get you some good damage. If the gyros get predictable you can chomp it then shield the incoming laser. Lastly tossing the bike upwards by the ledge is much more useful in this match up than other characters.
Its not much, but I see it as 60:40 rob's favor.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Aight, lets move to Rob, Ike and Peach, 3 weeks seem to be fine to cover all of them ;3
:4rob:

I don't have a ton of experience. One of the best players in my area used to secondary him but has since dropped him. But I don't think we can outcamp him. He has a great zoning game and we have to find clever ways to get in using wario's great airspeed along with smart powershielding. I feel like we have to approach here because we get outcamped.

An awesome thing going for us here that I've picked up on is we win hard against ROB offstage. His huge hurtbox and slow ascension on his up B makes him an easy target for fast fall dair and waft. Pretty sure dash attack works as well. He's also easy to combo with nair because he's combo food, although we can't take advantage of that as much as other characters since Wario's combo game is only so-so.

Overall though I feel Wario is prone to getting zoned out here and Wario's lack of range can really get exploited. And I don't think we can exploit his main weakness as well as he can exploit ours. I feel like ROB has a small advantage here.

:4myfriends:

Matchup I've thought a lot about. Lots of Ikes in my area. I think the key here is to stay just outside his sword's range and play bait and punish. Matchup is all about spacing. Keep that distance just outside his sword's fair/upair range and find your openings. It's good to practice gimping Ike's recovery, I find we can actually exploit it very well with Wario's airspeed and lingering hitbox on dair if we can force him to recover vertically instead of horizontally. It's very doable just have to get the hang of the timing and make sure to get behind him, there's only a hitbox on the sword on his Up B. Feels very even, the winner is whoever spaces the best from my experience. Ike is super frustrating though, you have to be really on top of your game. You can get punished hard if you misspace anything.

:4peach:

I won't comment on, not a lot of experience or study in this matchup.

Last edited:

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796
Let me handle :4peach:

Peach has some scary throw combo's that we really should avoid at early %. (D-throw and D-air are her great combo starters if you didn't know.)
Some of them uses vegetables against us. (Which isn't a problem, because we can eat it + we have enough time to avoid her punishment if you spaced right!).
Most of the good peach's uses float cancel to mindgame or to approach us, don't be fooled by that as long you space safe. You can also use the bike for this situation, but DON'T use bike against Peach's D-air, Peach will beat the sh*t out of you with that D-air.

When you block Peach's D-air: Up-B Out of Shield is a good option after her last D-air hit, but it's a kinda risky one thanks to the shieldstun increase you've to know where she's going to space before you used Up-B or else it's a free punish for Peach.

Edge Guarding Peach is kinda hard thanks to that unstoppable umbrella, but throwing our unstoppable bike will also give her a hard time. Reminder: Standing to close at the edge will let that umbrella hit you.

Speaking of throwing bikes... If Peach is float cancelling a lot with her aerials, Don't hesitate to spawn your bike at the edge and Smash D-throw it at her if you have the chance, it will force Peach to go for other options.

D-Tilt is great against Peach thanks to her floaty... panties.. w/e. Somewhere in the 20%~ (No rage needed) we already have the frame advantage and damn you can use D-Tilt > F-tilt to finish her stock off at kill %.

Peach kill options are F-air, Up-Smash, Dash Attack & B-Air for a little higher %. Sometimes: F-Smash, N-air, U-air and Up-B.
Peach can kill opponents pretty early with F-air and Up-Smash. Kill somewhere in the 90%-100% at the center of the stage.(I can be wrong for Wario, because he's kinda Heavy.)

Furthermore, Don't challenge Peach's crazy aerials or else you'll get hit. Just play safe and focus when to punish or approach and you'll be fine!

50:50 :4wario2:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
:4wario: vs :4myfriends: is a matchup that gets my heart pounding, very tense.

Ike gets a lot out of his hits, whether it be the raw damage of his attacks or the great followups from some of them. He can afford to lose an encounter if he can get a good hit in. Be wary of his range and don't over-extend.

Ike is quite heavy, so obviously most of your combos are going to be more effective. Juggling Ike works as long as you watch for moves like fair and nair. Ike's poor mobility also means Wario can run away easier. Problem is, getting a good lead against a damage-dealing monster like Ike is hard. Also, Ike has better kill power than us.

Try to make Ike recover with Up-B, since personally I find it way easier to intercept than side-B. Though intercepting Up-B is hard, with the annoying hitbox and super armor, it's possible and can be very rewarding. Moves like dair with the multiple hitboxes are great for hitting up-b.

Overall, as Dar4 Dar4 has stated. Be smart with your spacing and don't get impatient. Ike's disjoint is strong and you don't want to throw out your hurtbox a lot.
I think this matchup is 45-55 in :4myfriends:'s favor.

Last edited:

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
:4myfriends:
The Ike match-up is all about spacing and patience. Neither character has many guaranteed kill setups so both have to wait for the opponent to make a mistake. The most common ways for Ike to kill Wario is Uair traps, Dash Attack, and Bair.

Uair traps are hard to get around sometimes but typically don't air dodge when above Ike and instead Bike or Jump away and go for the ledge. Most good Ike's are going to try to force you to waste your DJ by using this scenario then catch your landing with a Dash Attack. This makes stages with platforms a very good options.

With that being said though, platforms allow Ike to fall off them and Bair, which is a great, quick, kill/zoning option for him. Your job is to simply not be hit by them. Good Ike's will always retreating Bair, in all situations, which is unpunishable. You should never try to chase after an Ike that is running away otherwise you will eat a Bair.

Dash Attack is probably the most common way of dieing, just be aware of it, use Bike to armor it/speed away, and make sure to DI it correctly.

When you get Ike off stage and he's high enough to Side B, you have a couple of good edge guard options. Either go immediately for Bike Crash > Bike Throw options (which is great) or jump out in front of Ike and Air Dodge. Ike's Side B will still attack your air dodge while diminishing his momentum. Ike MUST UpB within a few frames or else he will free fall and die. This means you must be careful not to get caught in it and be spiked. Your best option is to Air Dodge the Hit > Aerial to send him back out and possibly kill him. If he's far out, you can try just DIing away from the Aether and watch him Aether to his death.

If you chose to stay on stage or know Ike is recovering low, you can also FH > DJ around Ike's UpB and punish him when he rises to meet his sword. The hitbox for Ike's UpB is only where the sword is and Ike's hurt box rises to meet the sword and is largely unprotected from the back. Dair and Waft are great punishes for this.

Ike is just slow enough in this game to enable Wario to punish a lot of his options although his power more than enough makes up for it. In my opinion, the match up is 50:50 or in Wario's favor if he lands a Waft.

:4peach:
You have to treat Peach like a moving aerial wall. Peach's aerials are extremely fast and have large strong spot hit boxes which beat out most of Wario's aerials. Wario has to play extremely patient and poke at the small openings in her wall whenever she makes them. Fair and Usmash are ridiculously strong in this game and are the #1 options you should avoid.

As far as spacing goes, Peach has strong anti-air movies so falling on top of her is usually never good unless it's a guaranteed punish with Bite or Dair. Most of the time you will be living in the FH/SH medium range and poking with Fair/Bair.

Peach is extremely weak off stage due to the slow start up on her Fair and her floaty nature. Use well spaced Bairs or the threat of them to land a Dair. This is the easiest and most common place to get kills on Peach (especially with Waft).

Peach is an extremely tough wall to crack due to her ability to move while spacing her quick and strong aerials, but if we play patient enough, she has a very hard time killing us and we edge guard her fairly well. I'd say the match-up is 50:50 or in Wario's favor if he lands a Waft.

:4rob:
You have to never feel pressured by ROBs abundant projectile and spacing tools. Time is always on your side. ROB in general has decent spacing tools that outrange our options but are pretty slow on start-up. Wario should focus on achieving a medium range in order to pressure ROB with Fair. Falling Nair/Dair is decent against ROBs who don't understand how to properly anti-air Wario and your job is always focus on getting ROB into the air where he is completely at our mercy.

ROB has poor aerial speed in the air and is a huge target, making it really easy for us to poke and pressure him from below (his Dair starts up way too slow and his other aerials are way to one-directional). The biggest trick here is that once ROB uses UpB, he cannot air dodge anymore, so he has to throw out Nair/Bair in pressure situations which can easily be spaced and punished. ROB is literal Waft bait after he initializes his UpB. Never be afraid to chase ROB off stage for this exact reason.

The biggest thing is patience in this MU. Focus on not running into Fsmash or Usmash and not getting grabbed and you will live forever where ROB easily gets Wafted or Bair'd off stage for early kills. I think the MU is 55:45 in Wario's favor and worse if Wario gets a Waft.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Last week for these MU's, what MU's should we discuss next?

Last edited:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Last week for these MU's, what MU's should we discuss next?
Personally, I'd like to see:4pacman::4megaman::4tlink:

And it's been 10 days since a post in this thread, why wait another week?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I really want to know what the :4megaman: MU is like. Also sort of interested in :4falco: and :4littlemac:.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I would like to discuss :4megaman: as well, since this MU is a ***** for Bowser Jr.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Gonna update this tomorrow ;3

How about if we move To :4tlink::4cloud:and :4megaman:?

Last edited:

bluesm0ke

Smash Rookie
NNID
sdlonghorns11
As Wario, you can escape Cloud's combos (Uair/Utilt strings and the like) easier than most of the cast because of Wario's superior aerial mobility. Hell I've even escaped his sideB by SDI'ing upwards. NEVER AIRDODGE AGAINST CLOUD ONSTAGE. Airdodging onstage against cloud opens up frame traps that can be avoided if you jump at opportune times. General tip, shield when cloud has limit break. Most clouds want to get rid of it as soon as possible and may jump the gun. If you can get them offstage when they have limit break, 90% of clouds will jump to get onstage instead of using their limit break climhazzard, so you can punish this with bair or fair(most optimal imo because it lasts longest). Against non-limit break cloud, dair, dash attack, dsmash, or a downward thrown bike are the best ways to take advantage of his poor recovery.

Last edited:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
:4cloud:

Day 1 on release I thought this matchup was good for us. Then I realized that Cloud’s recovery while lacking, isn’t as terrible as we thought and his neutral is actually pretty good.

Seems like we get beat in neutral solidly. Cloud’s aerials are all really good, especially nair, and he doesn’t have the ending lag of Ike so it’s harder to find holes to poke through and around his disjoint in neutral. They’re still there, just not as easy to get in comparably. Have to be really creative. And his disjoint is so huge, he can throw out nairs and really space us out. And he can juggle for days with his upair. It can be really hard to land against a good cloud.

Blade barrier is no worry, bike beats it on the ground except limit blade barrier. We can even eat both limit and nonlimit blade barrier. Or just fair it to be honest. It’s easy to deal with on stage. It’s only a threat when cloud edgeguards with it.

I think we generally want to camp for waft when he has limit, we pretty much have to go in when he doesn’t so that he doesn’t get free limit charges.

The key for us in the matchup is to get cloud off stage and edgeguard him. That’s how we win. We lose neutral solidly so we’ve got to find ways to exploit his lacking recovery. Force him to up B onto the stage and then gimp him with dash attack and dair. Dsmash/Dtilt at the edge is pretty good as well when cloud doesn’t autosnap to the ledge. Also bike thrown off stage or a bike/waft at edge setup works well when you have time to set them up. Your edgeguarding needs to be on point against a good cloud.

To get better at this matchup I’ve practiced edgeguarding cloud constantly in training mode. Using dair is a bit tricky because his sword has a hitbox in front of his Up B sort of like Ike’s up B. Got to use your double jump to jump behind it and then throw out a lingering dair hitbox.

Waft isn’t all that hard to land on stage in this matchup. Cloud is decently big and tall, so falling upair to waft is a good option. Falls pretty fast too so sourspot nair to waft works in a pretty generous range.

It’s tricky to land a raw waft on his Up B off stage though I feel. Unlike Ike who stalls a bit at the start of his up B, cloud doesn’t so timing is much trickier. I wouldn’t go for it personally unless it’s a desperate situation. I’d generally save the waft when off stage and rely on dair instead, which will probably get the gimp anyway if it lands. Usually there’s no need to use up your waft. And in my opinion a lingering dair hitbox is much easier to land offstage than waft anyway.

I feel we should be avoiding platform stages in this matchup. Makes it easier for cloud to juggle with upairs, he kills earlier from finishing touch if he hits you with it on a platform, and he benefits from his big disjoint going through platforms. Makes it even harder to get in I feel. Also I’d avoid stages with low ceilings like T&C as well, finishing touch will kill even earlier. I think our best stages against cloud are duck hunt and FD for sure. Smashville is ok, although the platform helps his recovery.

I think the matchup is 60-40 in cloud’s favor because even though we win hard off stage, he wins neutral and has better kill options than wario. And we actually have to approach usually because of limit.

:4tlink: -

Toon link is tricky. There’s a pretty good toon link main in my area who I’ve played a lot of friendlies with so I’ve got a good grip on the matchup.

TL is all about bomb setups. He fuctions sort how Diddy does with banana. So he’ll use a bomb to setup smashes, bomb to get a grab, ect. The rest of his spam (arrows and wind) loses to powershield really hard and aren’t much of a concern. Bombs are the real threat here. Got to have good item play. Work on catching them.

His smashes are super strong so be careful with FF upair. He’s a small character anyway, so it’s not the greatest option here. You’ll have to do a lot of safe pokes. I do a lot of living in the air in this matchup, weaving around projectiles to get in. I think staying in the air is the best bet here, makes it harder for him to use his projectile and bomb game effectively from my experience. He’ll be trying to catch your landings with a bomb to your face so he can get a followup, so be on point with mixing up your landings.

TL’s Up B is gimpable off stage. You can straight FF dair on his recovery and beat it if you do it right at the top of his head. There’s no hitbox there.

Matchup seems even or slightly in TL’s favor (like 55-45) mainly because of TL’s strong, fast, disjointed attacks giving us issues with our short range and makes going for waft setups like FF upair and nair prone to big punishes by the fast, strong get off me moves. You can get punished hard if you go in haphazardly. I feel like Wario has to work harder and be more creative here. But we do win off stage I feel and TL has to approach in neutral because of waft so it’s probably more like even.

For stages I really don’t think it matters much. Go wherever you feel the most comfortable. If you want to super camp then by all means go to duck hunt but if you aren’t willing to super camp with wario I don’t think there’s much of an advantage on any certain stage for Wario. TL kills both off the top and the sides. Personally I prefer smashville, T&C, duck hunt or FD for this matchup so I can better utilize bike, which I find more important in this matchup than the extra utilization of bite you get from platforms (bite is not as good in my opinion against TL as it is against other characters because of his fast, strong, get off me moves and disjoint beating it).

:4megaman: -

Very little experience so I won't comment.

Last edited:

TheMarsh

Smash Rookie
NNID
tedsterkid
The cloud matchup for us is horrible in my opinion. Cloud forces you to approach while he charges limit and we all know Wario's approach options outside of bike are kinda ****. If you do bike in tho, Cloud can just bladebeam or use literally any aerial to get you off it. The only real way you can get the upper hand is on stages like Battlefield, Lylat, Duck hunt maybe?, Dreamland and Town and City. Do not take Cloud to FD or Smashville, he will wreck you. You can gimp Cloud pretty easily tho with a fair or nair off stage and just hope his up b won't make it back

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
:4cloud:

In Cloud's favor:
  • Cloud charging Limit forces approaches. Camping for waft is incredibly risky due to this.
  • Disjoints are always annoying for Wario. Many of his normals/aerials have very little lag and come out quickly.
  • Landing is a nightmare against Cloud's utilt and uair, sometimes it is better to just retreat to the ledge
  • I hate Dair
  • Cloud has better kill power and damage building potential than Wario.
In Wario's favor:
  • Cloud has a bad recovery without limit, and Wario can exploit it.
  • Blade Beam can be chomped
It's probably 40:60 in :4cloud:'s favor. His high mobility, relatively unlaggy moves, and great range make this a very annoying matchup for Wario. But it's not unwinnable, if Wario can get a stock lead he can start his camping shenanigans

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
:4tlink: vs :4wario2:
Toon Link's projectiles are very good at spacing and can make camping more difficult in this matchup. His high mobility also makes him good at closing the distance and as a result has a scary punish game. Disjoints also suck, so watch out for that.

Smart shielding is crucial for dealing with Tink's onslaught of spam. Don't get frustrated. This is good advice for fighting these kinds of characters in general. Getting hit with his boomerang or bombs can get annoying, but Tink loves it when you are frustrated, since you will play more unsafe and just get punished more and more. Bike is pretty good at absorbing projectiles, but use it with caution as Tink's bombs knock you off very easily. Don't use it when he has a bomb in hand or enough time to prepare one.

Tink's up-close game is sub-par, but he has stuff like nair and jab which are surprisingly fast and can hit you far enough for Tink to rest the neutral. The fact that he has a tether grab also means you should be careful with how you space your aerials.

This matchup seems like it should be in Tink's favor, but I find it's very winnable for Wario. I think it's Tink's poor disadvantage state that makes the matchup an even 50-50

Will write about Megaman later.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Yeah tbh Sheik, Diddy and Mario already gave Wario a pretty hard time, but I think Wario's worst matchup is Cloud for sure.

His juggle game is one of the best. Good Clouds should be giving you close to no opportunities to land. His circular n-air hitbox is particularly insane, it's fast and has range around him comparable to Sheik's f-air. It is also a move that defends him from being gimped easily when he's offstage. He also has a strong spacing tool in b-air with KO potential that makes it difficult to get in. His long-lasting u-air and d-air also cover him and optimize his juggle game, which just about give him some of the best frame traps in the game. F-air may be a slow start-up move, but the range on it is so good that it's safe.

Dar4 Dar4 : I completely agree on Cloud encroaching on Wario's territory. Wario's thing is passively charging his waft forcing the approach. If the opponent doesn't approach Wario, then you get your waft ready. But then comes Cloud with a manual charge that also gives him a deadly KO move, and he just does that faster by charging Limit than Wario trolling for about a minute to get just the strong version (not full) of Waft ready. Finishing Touch may be frame 16, but why should he be using that? He's got three other special moves where he can use Limit on; a multi-hit edge-guarding projectile, a quick recovery and out-of-shield move, and a low ending lag multi-hit side-B. It's flexible and adaptable to different scenarios. And even if he doesn't use Limit, simply holding on to it offers him really good boosts.

Let's not forget that Cloud has a better neutral, one of the best juggling games in the entire cast comparable to Fox's and ZSS's, and better range to keep Wario out. This creates a matchup where Wario is forced to approach a character with better tools than him. I'd honestly say the MU is like 7:3 for Cloud.

The saving points Wario has is that Bike really causes trouble for Cloud like Dar4 mentioned. Waft is as deadly as ever, and Cloud is a decent sized target to get hit by it. Learning how to edge-guard Cloud is really, really important in the MU. It's important to watch out for the N-air and intercept Cloud. His Up-b not snapping is definitely a bonus as well if he doesn't space it properly.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Yeah tbh Sheik, Diddy and Mario already gave Wario a pretty hard time, but I think Wario's worst matchup is Cloud for sure.

His juggle game is one of the best. Good Clouds should be giving you close to no opportunities to land. His circular n-air hitbox is particularly insane, it's fast and has range around him comparable to Sheik's f-air. It is also a move that defends him from being gimped easily when he's offstage. He also has a strong spacing tool in b-air with KO potential that makes it difficult to get in. His long-lasting u-air and d-air also cover him and optimize his juggle game, which just about give him some of the best frame traps in the game. F-air may be a slow start-up move, but the range on it is so good that it's safe.

Dar4 Dar4 : I completely agree on Cloud encroaching on Wario's territory. Wario's thing is passively charging his waft forcing the approach. If the opponent doesn't approach Wario, then you get your waft ready. But then comes Cloud with a manual charge that also gives him a deadly KO move, and he just does that faster by charging Limit than Wario trolling for about a minute to get just the strong version (not full) of Waft ready. Finishing Touch may be frame 16, but why should he be using that? He's got three other special moves where he can use Limit on; a multi-hit edge-guarding projectile, a quick recovery and out-of-shield move, and a low ending lag multi-hit side-B. It's flexible and adaptable to different scenarios. And even if he doesn't use Limit, simply holding on to it offers him really good boosts.

Let's not forget that Cloud has a better neutral, one of the best juggling games in the entire cast comparable to Fox's and ZSS's, and better range to keep Wario out. This creates a matchup where Wario is forced to approach a character with better tools than him. I'd honestly say the MU is like 7:3 for Cloud.

The saving points Wario has is that Bike really causes trouble for Cloud like Dar4 mentioned. Waft is as deadly as ever, and Cloud is a decent sized target to get hit by it. Learning how to edge-guard Cloud is really, really important in the MU. It's important to watch out for the N-air and intercept Cloud. His Up-b not snapping is definitely a bonus as well if he doesn't space it properly.
A couple points -

Keep in mind that when Cloud has a limit charged he's the once forced to approach because of Waft. Wario is only forced to approach when Cloud doesn't have limit charged.

And being juggled by Cloud's upair really isn't that big of a deal for Wario in this matchup IMO. Cloud's upair is super good for that but Wario is small, has great air mobility and can bike away to escape juggle situations. He's a tough character to keep above you. And the Wario player should be banning battlefield and dreamland IMO for this very reason.

I agree that it is in Cloud's favor. But even though Wario loses neutral, he has excellent edgeguarding and when combined with Cloud's poor recovery, Wario wins far too convincingly off stage for this to be a 70:30 matchup. Wario's dash attack alone is a nightmare for Cloud offstage. I'm sticking with my 60:40 vote.

Last edited:
Top Bottom