• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Voices" for the Voiceless?

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Basically I think we all know characters who don't have a voice in Smash Bros... Though something I can't help but wonder? "What if they did"? How can you imagine them sounding by any chance? Feel free to post a character and who you think their voice actor would probably be.

I feel I can share mine I guess

• Villager (Male) - Yū Kobayashi
  • Villager (Female) - Yui Horie
I say these two simply because of how they voiced the 2 human characters in the Japanese AC:Wild World film. I do know the Villager did speak in the E3 demos but it... Didn't sound right IMO.

And this should be obvious if you have been snooping around my posts I guess =P
  • Pac-Man - Martin T. Sherman
His VA in Pac-Man World 3 will always be how I hear the character honestly.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Basically I think we all know characters who don't have a voice in Smash Bros... Though something I can't help but wonder? "What if they did"? How can you imagine them sounding by any chance? Feel free to post a character and who you think their voice actor would probably be.

I feel I can share mine I guess

• Villager (Male) - Yū Kobayashi
  • Villager (Female) Yui Horie
I say these two simply because of how they voiced the 2 human characters in the Japanese AC:Wild World film. I do know the Villager did speak in the E3 demos but it... Didn't sound right IMO.

And this should be obvious if you have been snooping around my posts I guess =P
  • Pac-Man - Martin T. Sherman
His VA in Pac-Man World 3 will always be how I hear the character honestly.
Pac-Man:Waka only

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd love for DK and Bowser to have their respective canon voices.

:4dk: Hee-hee, hey-hey!

:4bowser: Gwa ha ha ha ha!

You get it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Pac-Man needs his voice from the old cartoon.

And all Miis should be voiced by Xander Mobus. He does say "The winner is M[E]!" after all.

Also a terrible waste of trolling potential to give the Duck Hunt Dog the Scooby Doo snicker instead of the famous laugh.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
We need Scott Burns, Eric Newsome, or Kenny James playing Bowser. They've already got Newsome voicing Meta Knight, so why not have him do Bowser, too?
I would recommend a voice for Mega Man, but remember Mega Man 8? I suppose his Powered Up voice wouldn't be too bad.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
...Is it bad I kinda found his MM8 voice kinda fitting IMO? :U ((That and besides me kinda liking it.. I could put it in to piss people off but I won't :p))

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Pac-Man needs his voice from the old cartoon.

And all Miis should be voiced by Xander Mobus. He does say "The winner is M[E]!" after all.

Also a terrible waste of trolling potential to give the Duck Hunt Dog the Scooby Doo snicker instead of the famous laugh.
He needs the hat first.

:3

Furret24

Smash Master
DK should have his cartoon voice, like he was planned to in Melee! :troll:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
DK should have his DK64 voice.

And Bowser, his BiS voice, obviously.

:231:

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'm fine with Pac-Man not talking, but there's no reason his arcade death sound shouldn't play when being Star KOed.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
A common misconception is that Game and Watch doesn't talk. He actually does, but he's a very vulgar man so they bleep out his voice clips to keep the rating low.

I'm kinda surprised Mega Man doesn't have a voice. In fact, I'm kinda confused about Mega Man's whole appearance in Smash in general. He's a robot, I get it. But last I checked, the classic Mega Man has a lot of personality and can talk. They really did make him into a soulless robot. Heck, he doesn't even blink (I checked). Which is really weird because he blinks in his 2013 debut trailer. Why did they take it out?

I get that they wanted to keep the NES style. But they could have done both; have the animations but also included some sort of personality? Mega Man is expressive and talks in the NES cutscenes.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
A common misconception is that Game and Watch doesn't talk. He actually does, but he's a very vulgar man so they bleep out his voice clips to keep the rating low.

I'm kinda surprised Mega Man doesn't have a voice. In fact, I'm kinda confused about Mega Man's whole appearance in Smash in general. He's a robot, I get it. But last I checked, the classic Mega Man has a lot of personality and can talk. They really did make him into a soulless robot. Heck, he doesn't even blink (I checked). Which is really weird because he blinks in his 2013 debut trailer. Why did they take it out?

I get that they wanted to keep the NES style. But they could have done both; have the animations but also included some sort of personality? Mega Man is expressive and talks in the NES cutscenes.
Because a soulless, unblinking robot holding a saw blade is better than a soulless, blinking robot holding a saw blade.

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I think that they should have updated some voices instead of recycle them from Brawl. like :4zss:... and have some of her clips in :4samus:, like when she get KO'd...

:4dk: BananaaaSla--... no...

Marrow

Speak softly and carry a Thick Club
3DS FC
1993-9950-1450
DK needs to be done by Richard Yearwood again. (With sterling jarvis singing
)

Bowser needs his actual voice if only because his children have voices and he's just some kaiju.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Olimar and Alph have voices and are actually super chatty in Pikmin 3.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I'd give Olimar, Donkey Kong, and Bowser their canonical voices and add Jigglypuff's missing damage sound effects and her singing voice. There's even a Brawl mod that adds those, so I don't think it'd be that hard for Nintendo to do the same :p.
Here's the Brawl Mod I was talking about, if anyone was curious.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I'd give Olimar, Donkey Kong, and Bowser their canonical voices and add Jigglypuff's missing damage sound effects and her singing voice. There's even a Brawl mod that adds those, so I don't think it'd be that hard for Nintendo to do the same :p.
Kalos Jigglypuff + Headband = Holiness.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
-I can easily hear Kevin Michael Richardson as Pac-Man. I dunno, I just really like the idea of Pac-Man having a deep, easygoing voice.

-I've really come to like the idea of Josh Keaton as Little Mac, mostly because I can easily hear his Spider-Man voice coming out of Little Mac.

-Another casting idea I've always liked was Keith David as Ganondorf.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
they voiced the 2 human characters in the Japanese AC:Wild World film. I do know the Villager did speak in the E3 demos but it... Didn't sound right IMO.
what? when was this? I don't remember him ever having a voice

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I think part of the reason they don't update her or add to it is because the whole legal debacle when they switched studios for the anime's dub. Just like how they can't really mix union and non union workers for the voice cast, I don't think voice actors signed to a company can do free lance work without permission because of contracts. *Shrugs* maybe someday.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm in support of every character having their cheesiest, most grating voices from whatever cartoon/anime/etc. spinoffs they've appeared in. In Mega Man's case, his Mega Man 8 voice. It'd make the voicework overall more animated and more cartoonish (which I would enjoy) and besides, it'd match well with :4fox:'s voice. :)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAyE5P-60w at 1:48 specifically. You can hear her saying "Thanks, Nook!" faintly.

I dunno about you but it sounds a bit... suggestive for Villy. XP

Should have gone with Yui Horie, Ai's voice actress here.
Supposedly there was a rumor that somewhere it had her and the VA for the boy as the Japanese Voice actors. Not sure if it is true because I am not sure if there was a Japanese build of the game with different voice work.

I would have loved if they spoke animalese like when you meet other villagers in the home showcase, etc.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Supposedly there was a rumor that somewhere it had her and the VA for the boy as the Japanese Voice actors. Not sure if it is true because I am not sure if there was a Japanese build of the game with different voice work.

I would have loved if they spoke animalese like when you meet other villagers in the home showcase, etc.
I heard that rumor too, Shame their is no actual way to contact Horie as far as I've looked into. But yeah. I would have loved her to return.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I heard that rumor too, Shame their is now actual way to contact Horie as far as I've looked into. But yeah. I would have loved her to return.
It would have made sense if they did give them a voice because the movie did fairly well over there. The voices for the English Villagers were probably either treehouse employees or one of the other VAs they brought in recording some extra lines for misc. characters.

It's actually a desire of mine for (nearly) every character to receive new voice work in future games, and better localized to English where necessary. Sound freshness goes a long way toward a fresh presentation. Anyway, here are some of my remarks on the voices in Smash 4:
  • Villagers really should have vocalized. They could use an androgynous child's voice so that both sexes could use the same sound set. The silence just compounds the serial killer meme.
  • Olimar could have done with more vocalization, but there's plenty enough noise coming from the Pikmin, so maybe that's why they refrained.
  • Mii fighters are eerily quiet, but the sound designers probably didn't want to risk an unfitting voice that ruins your immersion in your character. Maybe if the next system updates Mii creation to include choosing a voice, the next Smash could tap into that. Maybe pitch sliders like you'd see in text-to-speech programs?
  • Not particularly bothered by Bowser's noises. He sounds like he did in Mario 64 and MK64, which is what I was familiar with first.
  • DK's gorilla noises are fine for me - they evoke his primal might, but I could still live with "ook ook" if they ever decided to swing that way.
  • Diddy's chimp noises are similarly fine.
  • Disappointed that Yoshi never, at any point, makes his trumpet noise from the SNES/N64 era.
  • Any reason Mega Man doesn't vocalize, besides him supposed to be looking stiff and expressionless like his sprites in those games?
  • We know now that Samus can still be heard, albeit with a filtered voice, while suited. It would have been neat if she could speak in Smash. I understand why they wouldn't do it, though - they want Samus and ZSS to evoke different personalities even if they are technically the same person, to further distinguish the two forms. Regular Samus spouting "Try me," or "You're mine" would cause a bit too much bleed-through.
  • The Star Fox characters... what to do with them? They seem to change voice sets every time. As much as I loved the classic Star Fox 64 voices, when brought into Smash, it didn't let their personalities shine quite the way the Brawl voices did. Fox's war cries draw constant derision. Seems like a mistake to get those old VAs back for nostalgia's sake, tbh.
  • Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if Marth received an English voice actor? They could "explain" the change as Marth being multilingual, learning the languages of every land he conquers.
  • Little Mac, for being a Western martial arts archetype, makes sounds of exertion that sound more in line with a native Japanese voice; bit unfitting.
Come to think of it, Smash 4 introduced a few characters who don't vocalize at all: Villager, Mii, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt. If they could conceive extremely memorable voices for the likes of Ness, Captain Falcon, and Marth, I wonder why a similar effort wasn't attempted with these characters.

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
It's actually a desire of mine for (nearly) every character to receive new voice work in future games, and better localized to English where necessary. Sound freshness goes a long way toward a fresh presentation. Anyway, here are some of my remarks on the voices in Smash 4:
  • Villagers really should have vocalized. They could use an androgynous child's voice so that both sexes could use the same sound set. The silence just compounds the serial killer meme.
  • Olimar could have done with more vocalization, but there's plenty enough noise coming from the Pikmin, so maybe that's why they refrained.
  • Mii fighters are eerily quiet, but the sound designers probably didn't want to risk an unfitting voice that ruins your immersion in your character. Maybe if the next system updates Mii creation to include choosing a voice, the next Smash could tap into that. Maybe pitch sliders like you'd see in text-to-speech programs?
  • Not particularly bothered by Bowser's noises. He sounds like he did in Mario 64 and MK64, which is what I was familiar with first.
  • DK's gorilla noises are fine for me - they evoke his primal might, but I could still live with "ook ook" if they ever decided to swing that way.
  • Diddy's chimp noises are similarly fine.
  • Disappointed that Yoshi never, at any point, makes his trumpet noise from the SNES/N64 era.
  • Any reason Mega Man doesn't vocalize, besides him supposed to be looking stiff and expressionless like his sprites in those games?
  • We know now that Samus can still be heard, albeit with a filtered voice, while suited. It would have been neat if she could speak in Smash. I understand why they wouldn't do it, though - they want Samus and ZSS to evoke different personalities even if they are technically the same person, to further distinguish the two forms. Regular Samus spouting "Try me," or "You're mine" would cause a bit too much bleed-through.
  • The Star Fox characters... what to do with them? They seem to change voice sets every time. As much as I loved the classic Star Fox 64 voices, when brought into Smash, it didn't let their personalities shine quite the way the Brawl voices did. Fox's war cries draw constant derision. Seems like a mistake to get those old VAs back for nostalgia's sake, tbh.
  • Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if Marth received an English voice actor? They could "explain" the change as Marth being multilingual, learning the languages of every land he conquers.
  • Little Mac, for being a Western martial arts archetype, makes sounds of exertion that sound more in line with a native Japanese voice; bit unfitting.
Come to think of it, Smash 4 introduced a few characters who don't vocalize at all: Villager, Mii, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Duck Hunt. If they could conceive extremely memorable voices for the likes of Ness, Captain Falcon, and Marth, I wonder why a similar effort wasn't attempted with these characters.
I think the villagers if they were vocalized would have had a male and a female voice- its not like they took the single voice path for the other male/female alt characters.

Mega Man and Pac-Man were supposed to resemble their more retro versions which is probably why they went with keeping them voiceless (Sakurai stated Mega man is based on his 8-bit sprite and that if he didn't get the go ahead for retro pac man that he was going to ask for Heihachi or do without.) Still, Pac-Man should have his death SFX especially since Mega Man got his. Miis are probably for the reason you mentioned above but it would have been nice to have several voices to choose from with a pitch slider or make them mute. Villager is similar to how he is in his games and I personally wish he spoke animalese like when you meet other villagers in the HH showcase in New Leaf. Duck-Hunt did get 'fitting' vocalizations- the duck and dog have cartoony animal sounds without actually speaking, but some people would rather he kept the original laughing SFX from the game- They might have decided against it because they wanted the duck to quack and they went with a cartoony look for them.

I don't think they didn't make an effort for those characters,but it didn't fit what they wanted those characters to be like. I mean we got some really chatty characters this time as well in Palutena, Wii Fit Trainer, Robin, etc., and we know they were messing around with giving some of them a voice because the E3 build had talking villagers.

I think the villagers if they were vocalized would have had a male and a female voice- its not like they took the single voice path for the other male/female alt characters.
True. I was just offering a way they could have done it with a lighter work load, underscoring why I'm disappointed they didn't do it.

Are there any other videos (ideally with direct audio feed) that show the Villagers' original Smash voice? The only one I've seen is the female supposedly saying "Thanks, Nook," though it can barely be heard behind the commentary.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
True. I was just offering a way they could have done it with a lighter work load, underscoring why I'm disappointed they didn't do it.

Are there any other videos (ideally with direct audio feed) that show the Villagers' original Smash voice? The only one I've seen is the female supposedly saying "Thanks, Nook," though it can barely be heard behind the commentary.
I heard the male one simply yells "YEAH!" from what my friend told me. Still, I think Horie and Kobayashi would have been excellent fits. Martin T. Sherman voiced Pac-Man in World 3 BTW, And unlike his present actress: He actually sounded his age and was all wise cracking and snarky, It actually suit him rather well.
I even like him more than Marty Ingels, honestly.

For Mega Man, Honestly. His voice in MM8 I actually found somewhat cute in a way... Really gave him a more "Anime" feel to him and what not ((Dr. Light and Aqua Man's voices was atrocious I will agree though)) Granted I could also see the 80's cartoon ((as cheesy as it was)) voice being used, or his Powered up voice. Or if they wanted to play it safe, They could bring back his Japanese MVC actor; As far as I remember that voice was rather welcomed unlike his one from 8.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

It wouldn't have been that much trouble. I don't think there are any direct audio feeds of their voices and it seems they purposely chose to leave them out since they had clips recorded. I wonder if any other characters had beta sound clips that they tested as well.

It wouldn't have been that much trouble. I don't think there are any direct audio feeds of their voices and it seems they purposely chose to leave them out since they had clips recorded. I wonder if any other characters had beta sound clips that they tested as well.
Imo, there's no way they wouldn't at least have considered using the Duck Hunt dog's classic laugh. I'd love to know why they settled on a hoarse chuckle instead. (Kind of reminds me of Tom and Jerry noises, come to think of it.)

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I wouldn't mind Debi Derryberry as Pac-Man like in Pac-Man Party and Street Fighter X Tekken, but other than no WOO-WOO-WOO-WOO-WONK-WONK for when he is KOd, he's fine with no voice.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm fine with Bowser and Donkey Kong having realistic voice sounds. They sound way better than the ones heard in their main series. As for others like Pac Man and Mega Man, it would've been cool if they say something or at least grunt.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Imo, there's no way they wouldn't at least have considered using the Duck Hunt dog's classic laugh. I'd love to know why they settled on a hoarse chuckle instead. (Kind of reminds me of Tom and Jerry noises, come to think of it.)
Probably because they were channeling the whole western cartoon aesthetic and they possibly could have thought that it might have been weird if the duck got the cartoony quack and the dog had the retro laugh sound.
I'm fine with Bowser and Donkey Kong having realistic voice sounds. They sound way better than the ones heard in their main series. As for others like Pac Man and Mega Man, it would've been cool if they say something or at least grunt.
It seems like whenever this comes up that there are people who like both, but it seems like there are more people who want their 'normal' voices. Maybe it is just a vocal minority, but I'd prefer their regular voices as well- I think it'd better represent the actual characters and their series. I feel like Diddy is the best sounding of the trio and that Bowser Jr. & the Koopalings ended up sounding fine with their voices (ripped from NSMB Wii, right?)

Top Bottom