• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGD: Dr. Shrunk Says be Happy!!

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Looking to practice my Villager skills with someone who can body me.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Guys, Timber is becoming my favorite special in all of smash. There is just so many things you can do with it.

You got standard tree chopping down, which is all fine and dandy. If you can get a good read you get massive damage and knockback. But then look deeper and everything becomes much more awesome.

You have things like Sapling water hold, for things like the Tree growing to be a kill move. You have the axe which can get kills itself without chopping down the tree.

I did two awesome things with the axe recently.

The first is I was able to b-reverse an axe to hit both the opponent and tree. So the axe not only sent him flying, but it sent him at the perfect angle to also be hit by the tree. Guaranteeing a KO.

There was also one match where I got my opponent to fear my axe move because he been killed because of it so many times. At one point, I conditioned him to roll away from my axe moves so much that he forgot about the tree. So I was able to catch his roll an get a KO by hitting the tree instead of the opponent.

I mean, Timber is just so amazing. But I mean, Villager's entire moveset is amazing. I don't think there is a single move I dislike using.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Guys, Timber is becoming my favorite special in all of smash. There is just so many things you can do with it.

You got standard tree chopping down, which is all fine and dandy. If you can get a good read you get massive damage and knockback. But then look deeper and everything becomes much more awesome.

You have things like Sapling water hold, for things like the Tree growing to be a kill move. You have the axe which can get kills itself without chopping down the tree.

I did two awesome things with the axe recently.

The first is I was able to b-reverse an axe to hit both the opponent and tree. So the axe not only sent him flying, but it sent him at the perfect angle to also be hit by the tree. Guaranteeing a KO.

There was also one match where I got my opponent to fear my axe move because he been killed because of it so many times. At one point, I conditioned him to roll away from my axe moves so much that he forgot about the tree. So I was able to catch his roll an get a KO by hitting the tree instead of the opponent.

I mean, Timber is just so amazing. But I mean, Villager's entire moveset is amazing. I don't think there is a single move I dislike using.
I was going to counter with some move but I couldn't find anything

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Man, Villager is such a stupid character, like if I didn't main him I'd probably hate him since he can totally shut down some character's playstyles, or at the very least make them very very uncomfortable. I'm really glad I play him though, he's a pretty uncommon character and people aren't scrambling to figure out ways to defeat him like the entire Smash 4 community is with Diddy and Shiek right now--Villager boards are also super comfy, like a little Animal Crossing town!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
So Abyss Wolf finally made the sprites for the other Villagers :D

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
How goes it, Villager boards?

Wondering if I could get some of your finest to play some sets with. Only stipulation is that I have a 3DS only, so it'd have to be there.

CodyOdyO

Smash Cadet
Placed 5th (tie) at Warehouse in MN today using strictly Villager; followed behind guys such as JJRockets, and Triple R.

It's nice knowing that the last regional I went to I placed 7th, and have been able to improve a couple spots since then. Next regional I'll be at is only a town away from me, so that's cool.

The two games I managed to catch on stream should be up sometime soon, so I'll upload them when that happens.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I was surprised when I ran into a Villager when doing FG matches. He was very good! Made great utilization of all his moves, but was amazing with Fair and Bair. Very good at spacing me out.

Makes me want to put more practice into Villager. He is a secondary which I haven't been using for a while.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Hey just wanted to introduce myself. Villager main in socal. I have a background in melee sheik and PM zelda. Tried figuring out everything with Villager myself, b/c I feel a fresh perspective is what gets new stuff being discovered. After feeling ive figured out all i could think of I went to the boards to see what you guys have figured out. Aquaplaining, one-chop, and Dirtbus was super interesting.

I love villager because of his original moveset, he is always smiling, and he's got them dance moves. Plus he is like a hybrid of melee sheik's off-stage game, and PM zelda's traps that force the opponent to move in certain ways.
I did pick up fox just yesterday after facing an Olimar for the second time, and after just using him 2 times I was in a much better position. He is also pretty good against MM so its cool knowing that 2 bad MU's are taken care of. Sheik is rough but Im training against her.

For dubs, my bro and I play dub villager (his secondary).
We are definately above average players, but I want to do really well in socal, so of course I got more to learn.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I've just got a hilarious story that just happened to me.
Playing for glory with jigglypuff and lost 3 games. (My opponent went samus, zss yoshi)

Then he switches his tag to GG~2~EZ

So I'm like "aight, I don't main jiggs anyway"

So I go villager and absolutely wreck him first stock. Finished him off with the tree by combining into it. (He stayed yoshi)
And he rage quits. Via yoshi bomb of stage

Then I'm like "am I too easy now?"

Last edited:

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
I've just got a hilarious story that just happened to me.
Playing for glory with jigglypuff and lost 3 games. (My opponent went samus, zss yoshi)

Then he switches his tag to GG~2~EZ

So I'm like "aight, I don't main jiggs anyway"

So I go villager and absolutely wreck him first stock. Finished him off with the tree by combining into it. (He stayed yoshi)
And he rage quits. Via yoshi bomb of stage

Then I'm like "am I too easy now?"
I love that. Did the same with my fox on the first day I picked him up. Swapped to Villager. Oh how sweet the victory is lolol

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Hey, how do yall respond to disrespect? Like on for glory whatever, I just go again and beat em, its fine. But in like tourneys, I just did an online one, and I was Villager, guy uses Falcon, 2 stock him easy, he goes Diddy, we're fighting fine, it was close but he beats me and taunts...

He didnt kill me in a flashy way or anything, but went ahead and... it shouldnt get to me, but Ive got really low self-esteem and thats such a slap to the face, like Im just a joke to him or something? It was a close match, I dont deserve any respect?

Then the 3rd match he gets some kill and taunts some more, taunted when I grew a tree I think or just when I was off-stage. It was so rude, I couldnt find the will to play and just let him throw me off and taunt a final time. Then I just asked to be DQ'd. He gave a kappa face and said "It isnt disrespectful to time people out with Villager?" but Ive never done that.

So I guess Im just asking, how can I not let this get to me? How can I just sorta ignore disrespect and keep playing my best?

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I'm pretty sure it's a thing in the name.
In japanese they're not called "taunts", but "appeal moves".

Then again, don't mind people like that. They're toying with you and if you can't focus you won't win. That's their strategy, and they won.

btw, nobody can help your low self-esteem but yourself.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Hey, how do yall respond to disrespect? Like on for glory whatever, I just go again and beat em, its fine. But in like tourneys, I just did an online one, and I was Villager, guy uses Falcon, 2 stock him easy, he goes Diddy, we're fighting fine, it was close but he beats me and taunts...

He didnt kill me in a flashy way or anything, but went ahead and... it shouldnt get to me, but Ive got really low self-esteem and thats such a slap to the face, like Im just a joke to him or something? It was a close match, I dont deserve any respect?

Then the 3rd match he gets some kill and taunts some more, taunted when I grew a tree I think or just when I was off-stage. It was so rude, I couldnt find the will to play and just let him throw me off and taunt a final time. Then I just asked to be DQ'd. He gave a kappa face and said "It isnt disrespectful to time people out with Villager?" but Ive never done that.

So I guess Im just asking, how can I not let this get to me? How can I just sorta ignore disrespect and keep playing my best?
Simple,
"This player is a scrub who thinks he's a pro, I am better than him."
Also
"He will never see his banana ever again" :4villager:

Just tell yourself that you can win, if you don't...whatever just save the replay and maybe someone here can analyze it

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh no, I was playing fine. I mean...its 3 way wi-fi so there was some lag, some jumps didn't come out, but whatever, just trying to have fun. Pocketing the banana was easy, this wasn't the best Diddy Ive played or anything. Its on a "past broadcast" if anyone wants to watch, but all thats worth watching I guess is I spike his Falcon, aaand...the rest is kinda boring. I spaced well but thats not super hype.
I wouldnt care if I lost, its just some online tourney with no prize, it was just the disrespect that made me unable to play. Just cant push buttons quickly at that point. Was just wondering if someone had advice cause if that happened in real life I'd just sorta unplug the controller and leave.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
Often times the best way to catch a jerk off guard is to be nice to them. If somebody is like that to you irl, just shake their hand and say good game. They want you to unplug the controller and leave, that just fuels their folly. Keeping a good attitude whether somebody respects or disrespects you is what gives you a good reputation.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
@ Sonsa Sonsa never forget that you are a cool dude and we all like you
especially villager :4villager:
Never let a cocky jerk make you feel otherwise

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Often times the best way to catch a jerk off guard is to be nice to them. If somebody is like that to you irl, just shake their hand and say good game. They want you to unplug the controller and leave, that just fuels their folly. Keeping a good attitude whether somebody respects or disrespects you is what gives you a good reputation.
Hmm...okay. Yeah that shoulda been obvious to me, haha, they just want that reaction. I wouldnt really want to touch them though... Maybe just a fist bump. Ahaha, my reputation could be hand shakes for good games and fist bumps for ones I secretly didn't like so much.
@ Sonsa Sonsa never forget that you are a cool dude and we all like you
especially villager :4villager:
Never let a cocky jerk make you feel otherwise
Ohhh thanks. I mean, I'm a girl, but whatev haha, yeah I'm over it, I'll just try and get used to it or expect it more so it doesn't leave me ineffective as much.

flying_tortoise

Smash Journeyman
Ohhh thanks. I mean, I'm a girl
Oh so dudette then ;)
But seriously that almost made me quit the game entirely when I first started sm4sh. I hated losing to ppl that I knew that if it were melee Id make them cry. A great mentality in smash games is to want to completely destroy ur opponent (for sm4sh by reading them and countering what you believe they will do), so if they taunt I just use it to fuel the fire.

Also as Anthony-kun said I basically just say they are so dumb, know who is the better player (u have to always believe this).

And if I do lose I do what Sonicraft said and just say GG anyways. I mean they did beat you afterall but more importantly they are less likely to be rude. One time I had someone tell me I sucked even if won, I said GGs, and 3 games later he stopped saying it and said GGs, he even added me as a friend lolol.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yeah, I guess I just felt like I wasn't ganna win anyway thanks to some tiny lag spikes missing my jumps, but vs Diddy I need those moves to be precise. My spacing needs to be pretty damn good since his f-air can get in diagonally and out prioritize slingshot. I just didn't want to play his game yknow? Let him win thanks to that, but he likely enjoyed me just quitting as well. I dunno, I just don't think I could say gg though, I have too much pride. If someone disrespected me then they dont deserve my respect. Id rather go ahead and beat them next time like Ive done to many opponents.
Anyway, thanks yall, maybe I was just having a bad week anyway, Ill get used to it.

To change the subject, uhh how do we feel about legalizing Pokemon Stadium 2? Could be a great stage for Villager and while it can be a lil annoying, its not broken or near as annoying as it was in brawl thanks to no tripping for ice mode and ledge trumping for electric mode.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
PS2 is a good stage regardless characters. it was good in Brawl too, but back then and now its only problem is that people don't like it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Its a great stage, awesome neutral and the transformations are super telegraphed and nothing super annoying. Ice doesnt trip anymore, ledge trumping eliminates many more potential accidental deaths on the electric, ground is a neat layout - some camping/waiting may occur but Melee's PS1 Fire mode has this too, and the flying mode really isn't so bad. It's a stage with a great unique neutral layout, and very fun and entertaining transformations that challenge players to adapt well to still very telegraphed situations.

Would also be great for Villager, planting a tree in the middle, taking advantage of the platforms, adapting to situations a bit better than most other characters, it would be a super awesome counter-pick for Villager players.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And going VERY deep during Flying Phase and slingshotting his way up.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
What are the arguments against it being legal?

Sonsa

Smash Champion
What are the arguments against it being legal?
From what Ive heard these are the big ones:
- The electric transformation gives to big of an advantage to whoever secures center stage.
- Ground transformation encourages waiting/camping.
- It's just sorta annoying.

But to all that I say,
- Eh, it's telegraphed and while it can be difficult you still have options on those conveyor belts. Just something that needs adapting, you won't die or anything because on conveyor belts, they're annoying, but actually create interesting situations and people have dealt with their character moving before when they didn't want them to on Dreamland 64, so it's nothing that crazy new or broken.
- So does Melee's fire transformation but it's still quite accepted and thank goodness cause some very hype things have happened there.
- I kinda think Kongo Jungle (barrel killed me) Halberd (hazards) and even Duck Hunt (with its ducks getting in the way) are annoying, but having a whole new stage to explore is worth a little discomfort. Just need to practice on those stages a bit.

"He will never see his banana ever again" :4villager:
fug :DDD

on the topic of taunts, I never really taunt. The best thing to do is just show you won the match and dont really care B). Ill just stand around or spam jab or dtilt. If I won right after a trade Ill pass the tech and just lie there.

Last edited:

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, I never really taunt either. If "with friends" if I have a good joke that I hope'll make em laugh I might. Like "Turn up!" or "Strike!"
Otherwise, on For Glory, I'll only taunt if they taunted first. Then I'll be ruthless, give em a taste of their medicine. Maybe even go Duck Hunt and shoot the can towards em while taunting. I can be kinda mean if you ask for it.

MJG

Smash Hero
Has anyone else noticed that villager falls pretty fast due to the down b being inputted to bring the axe out? I was messing around in training mode and I had my back towards my opponent when I was in mid-air and then I used my axe and watched villagers fall speed increase. Like I said, pretty sure it's just because the "down" input is there and I know that he can fall pretty fast since i've empty short hopped before. Just thought that this was an interesting tidbit.

Yeah, it's just because the down input for the axe causes you to fastfall. It's can be a nice alternative to FAir though if you're tryna cover yourself when falling

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
(totally unrelated to Villager Social)

So tomorrow is actually the last day of Aerodrome's push-up regimen and I really want to embarrass him. So I made this.
pushups.jpg
Come up with anything you can. We can probably talk plans here. Thanks. Maybe we'll even raid his profile page.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Oh shoot I missed the disrespect talk, I think when someone disrespects you, you just come back harder and make them regret it.
In FG I generally have a hard time finding someone who makes me look bad, but when I find a really great opponent, I taunt at the start of the match so we both know this is all no hard feelings.
Villager can totally disrespect his opponents though, if I meet someone cocky in FG I make sure to either beat them with their own projectile or get them with the axe. Or a shield break if I'm really gunning for it.

Against a Diddy the best you can do is just taunt behind a tree like "Haaahaha you literally cannot hit me" or get them with their own banana, or using the wood chip to ruin their recovery.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
How did I miss that earlier?
Aero will know what internet is made of.
people that wish others good luck

Top Bottom