• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Work In Progress Video Arkive & Critique Thread ~Updating in progress 45 chars done~

This is basically how I read your post.
What feedback? At no point did you make any observations about things he did right and why they worked, you just knobbed him because Izaw.

And the best part is, I don't even dislike the guy. Not everything is so personal as you might think. My entire issue with Izaw is that he only ever appears when he wants to increase the view count on his latest video, which wouldn't even be so bad if he could remember the rules he was around for in the beginning.

I'm not going to give someone who knows better, who knows us, special treatment, when he should know better. If I'm hard on new people and expect them to read the stickies, how could I possibly expect less from Izaw?

This is bordering on derailment, however. I'll be in the social chat if you want to discuss this further. Failing that shoot me a PM. Uncle Shin's always here to listen.

Rokuro777

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shocking_Bawls
Hey guys,

New here... I consider myself kind of an intermediate Link, I do pretty well overall but I know I need improvement to be really good at the game.

I had a match with a Japanese guy who had a really good Jigglypuff, but a so so Robin
I saved the replay for that match and wanted to know if you guys could critique me, offer me any tips on making my gameplay better :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeB9da1DRo

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Hey guys,

New here... I consider myself kind of an intermediate Link, I do pretty well overall but I know I need improvement to be really good at the game.

I had a match with a Japanese guy who had a really good Jigglypuff, but a so so Robin
I saved the replay for that match and wanted to know if you guys could critique me, offer me any tips on making my gameplay better :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCeB9da1DRo

Move more. You stay grounded in one spot WAYYYYYY longer than necessary. Spamming arrows like that against an opponent who knows what they're doing isn't going to end well. Jump more. Link doesn't have his iron boots in this game. Space more. Use more Nairs and Bairs, and less fully charged Dsmashes. I can't reiterate this enough, but MOVE more.

Rokuro777

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shocking_Bawls
Move more. You stay grounded in one spot WAYYYYYY longer than necessary. Spamming arrows like that against an opponent who knows what they're doing isn't going to end well. Jump more. Link doesn't have his iron boots in this game. Space more. Use more Nairs and Bairs, and less fully charged Dsmashes. I can't reiterate this enough, but MOVE more.
Thanks for the input

whats funny is I normally Down smash very irregularly, but I was trying to fit it more into the games. Helps pressure rollers, but I see what you mean in the video. Seems like I just throw it out a few times

Overall though, isn't there something to be said for a good zoning Link in that you try and play keep out? Are there any top players that do that? I understand you will eventually need to move around, but generally speaking

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Thanks for the input

whats funny is I normally Down smash very irregularly, but I was trying to fit it more into the games. Helps pressure rollers, but I see what you mean in the video. Seems like I just throw it out a few times

Overall though, isn't there something to be said for a good zoning Link in that you try and play keep out? Are there any top players that do that? I understand you will eventually need to move around, but generally speaking
Thing is that Link doesn't have to play keep out now. You have to be more aggro and less campy since your camp wants be able to keep the rush down characters away.

I recommend reading this thread, specially the page I linked.

I'll watch your match tomorrow.

Welxome to the Link Boards. Drop by social to hang out.

Izaw

Smash Ace
Increase my viewer rate? Hahaha! Here? You guys are like 20 people, you won't increase anything. I don't post here because of all the blind haters and trolls, that are angry at me, because I never upload a set that I loose. They get mad because they think I stage ****, and because other players say I'm the best Link, I haven't claimed **** though. The sets I loose are against very few people. I've never lost a set on a Smashfest, I've never lost a money match with Link. Hell I've also won a thousand sets, do you see me uploading them? I've only lost tournament matches with Sheik. Those matches I can't save and put in the SD card like with Brawl. They are also either not recorded at all, or recorded and uploaded on the tournament channel, and I'm not aloud to upload them. You WANT to see me loose. Why don't you play me and try to make me loose instead of crying about it... I sacrifice a lot of time and effort playing Link, only because I love playing the character, and I post the videos here and nothing else, because I know SOME people look forward to it and like it, maybe even need it. You claim I have an ego, when you don't even know anything of me. Who is the actual ones with an ego? Trying to make themselves feel better by claiming I upload for views only and that it's staged. You are the one who has a problem with my fan boys claiming stuff about me, I haven't claimed anything. Take a look at your own ego. I simply don't like the Link boards, this is why I don't really post here. Then again there are some nice people here too, so I post for them whenever I might have a video that can benefit them. I posted ONE thing on this thread and looks how much hate YOU created.

And I posted ONE Sheik video ONCE. ONCE. Because there WAS info about Link in there. I also wanted to start a Link vs Sheik discussion, but no. Just hate.

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Increase my viewer rate? Hahaha! Here? You guys are like 20 people, you won't increase anything. I don't post here because of all the blind haters and trolls, that are angry at me, because I never upload a set that I loose. They get mad because they think I stage ****, and because other players say I'm the best Link, I haven't claimed **** though. The sets I loose are against very few people. I've never lost a set on a Smashfest, I've never lost a money match with Link. Hell I've also won a thousand sets, do you see me uploading them? I've only lost tournament matches with Sheik. Those matches I can't save and put in the SD card like with Brawl. They are also either not recorded at all, or recorded and uploaded on the tournament channel, and I'm not aloud to upload them. You WANT to see me loose. Why don't you play me and try to make me loose instead of crying about it... I sacrifice a lot of time and effort playing Link, only because I love playing the character, and I post the videos here and nothing else, because I know SOME people look forward to it and like it, maybe even need it. You claim I have an ego, when you don't even know anything of me. Who is the actual ones with an ego? Trying to make themselves feel better by claiming I upload for views only and that it's staged. You are the one who has a problem with my fan boys claiming stuff about me, I haven't claimed anything. Take a look at your own ego. I simply don't like the Link boards, this is why I don't really post here. Then again there are some nice people here too, so I post for them whenever I might have a video that can benefit them. I posted ONE thing on this thread and looks how much hate YOU created.

And I posted ONE Sheik video ONCE. ONCE. Because there WAS info about Link in there. I also wanted to start a Link vs Sheik discussion, but no. Just hate.
Please take this to PM's if this must be talked about at all. This is off topic and considered spam. More than that it's antagonistic and is asking to be flamed. I get that you're just responding to what has been said about you and so I'll let you off with just a verbal warning, but I had already asked that it be taken to PM's.
Any further posts about this by anyone will be infracted accordingly.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Yo guys, here's a game from a recent set I played on the NintendoDojo Ladder. To show more things Link is capable of. Also going to post this in the metagame thread to go through the concepts I explained in there, even further.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21k5USlb3M

Yeah, I know I recorded this with a potato, but luckily I recorded it with a potato before it could become a bag of Lays.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Here is a couple of matches of me fighting on For Glory against an opponent named "gummyboi". He picks Captain Falcon. It happened on January 15.I apologize in advance if you hate talking during vids lol. I also have more vids on my channel. Any feedback would be appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaxh4qVceU
We don't necessarily mind talking during vids, but that depends a lot on what is being said. I mean, usually tourney streams are commentated so we're used to it.

I'll watch your matches and Rokuro 's later today and will comment.

Don't forget to drop by social!

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Yo guys, here's a game from a recent set I played on the NintendoDojo Ladder. To show more things Link is capable of. Also going to post this in the metagame thread to go through the concepts I explained in there, even further.

Yeah, I know I recorded this with a potato, but luckily I recorded it with a potato before it could become a bag of Lays.
Nice spacing game. You need to go for more gimps however. I noticed that you charge up your bow when the opponent is attempting to recover. I also noticed that it didn't really do anything for you. The Boomerang is a better choice to use off stage, followed by a Nair or Fair.

Karaoke Man

Smash Apprentice
Nice spacing game. You need to go for more gimps however. I noticed that you charge up your bow when the opponent is attempting to recover. I also noticed that it didn't really do anything for you. The Boomerang is a better choice to use off stage, followed by a Nair or Fair.
Thanks!

Though, you have to keep in mind that I had to be rather careful about the arrows simply due to the fact that he was Falco and having those reflected would've definitely caused some problems for me lol.

Appreciate the advice, and I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Here is a couple of matches of me fighting on For Glory against an opponent named "gummyboi". He picks Captain Falcon. It happened on January 15.I apologize in advance if you hate talking during vids lol. I also have more vids on my channel. Any feedback would be appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBaxh4qVceU
Ok so your Link has a lot of weaknesses that are due to online play. However, I won't go into all of them I'll just mentioned the most important ones/memorable ones.

1. You're still not moving while you spam. While in your second match you rand from ledge to ledge spamming, that's not what we mean by move while you spam. You're planted as you fire and arrow, thrown out a gale or pull out a bomb. Never be still with Link because rush down chars, like CF will rush in and grab you (this CF was bad btw). More more, throw boomerangs while SH, and SH pull bombs out.

2. You're always recovering the same. You always go low and upB to the ledge. That's like asking to be gimped. Vary not only the height of your recovery but how you recover. Use your tether to recover fast and hit an unsuspecting opponent for example.

3. You need to jab cancel and hit confirm more. You finished all of your jabs and some of them could've led to a kill if you had canceled to a fsmash. Practice jab canceling and incorporate it more into your game. You should never finish your jab combo if it can be helped.

4. Be more aware of your projectiles. More than once you tried to throw out a gale as your gale was out thus either missing a punish or getting punished. Always use your projectiles with a plan in mind and be aware of where they are.

As I said, these are just the most memorable. You need to work on this and on basics. Your spacing, hit confirms, combos, etc.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Ok so your Link has a lot of weaknesses that are due to online play. However, I won't go into all of them I'll just mentioned the most important ones/memorable ones.

1. You're still not moving while you spam. While in your second match you rand from ledge to ledge spamming, that's not what we mean by move while you spam. You're planted as you fire and arrow, thrown out a gale or pull out a bomb. Never be still with Link because rush down chars, like CF will rush in and grab you (this CF was bad btw). More more, throw boomerangs while SH, and SH pull bombs out.

2. You're always recovering the same. You always go low and upB to the ledge. That's like asking to be gimped. Vary not only the height of your recovery but how you recover. Use your tether to recover fast and hit an unsuspecting opponent for example.

3. You need to jab cancel and hit confirm more. You finished all of your jabs and some of them could've led to a kill if you had canceled to a fsmash. Practice jab canceling and incorporate it more into your game. You should never finish your jab combo if it can be helped.

4. Be more aware of your projectiles. More than once you tried to throw out a gale as your gale was out thus either missing a punish or getting punished. Always use your projectiles with a plan in mind and be aware of where they are.

As I said, these are just the most memorable. You need to work on this and on basics. Your spacing, hit confirms, combos, etc.
Thanks for the feedback, I'm always open for criticism and ideas. Yeah I can be free to spikes, but he wasn't really challenging me off stage. I usually am better at spacing, but I change my style depending on the character. I usually throw three jabs out against characters with fast rolls (so that I can catch them in the jab). I've also never been a fan of Zair, I like having a bomb on me at all times, and would usually prefer to just throw the boomerang out. Idk why, I'm just not a fan ot it, I'll have to consciously work it into my game. As far as pressing side b while the boomerang was already out... would you buy I was throwing an invisarang? =p
But here are some more vids against multiple characters (sorry I had just bought an Elgado HD60 and was just random recording for friends lol).
Bonus* I was wondering if anyone has found a use for Link's down tilt, I don't see the use of using it over down smash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYDZwfhxtx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBllrwpBJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJijVNisTw

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Thanks for the feedback, I'm always open for criticism and ideas. Yeah I can be free to spikes, but he wasn't really challenging me off stage. I usually am better at spacing, but I change my style depending on the character. I usually throw three jabs out against characters with fast rolls (so that I can catch them in the jab). I've also never been a fan of Zair, I like having a bomb on me at all times, and would usually prefer to just throw the boomerang out. Idk why, I'm just not a fan ot it, I'll have to consciously work it into my game. As far as pressing side b while the boomerang was already out... would you buy I was throwing an invisarang? =p
But here are some more vids against multiple characters (sorry I had just bought an Elgado HD60 and was just random recording for friends lol).
Bonus* I was wondering if anyone has found a use for Link's down tilt, I don't see the use of using it over down smash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYDZwfhxtx8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVBllrwpBJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJJijVNisTw
My advise, before even watching those vids, is to try and always play your best, even if playing against scrubs. The problem of lowering your play level to suit a scrub is that it can create bad habits which will betray you in a tournament or in serious play. Try to always do your best. I will say again, practice your jab cancels and hit confirms and use them more often. I get that sometimes jab helps stop a rushing char, but there were many ocassions where he wasn't rushing and you still finished the jab combo instead of canceling into something that would've killed him.

Also, dtilt spikes but the spike hitbox is somewhat hidden so it's hard to pull it of. Not impossible, just hard. That's the only worthwhile consistent use I can think of.

Ok after I watched your video, and read your post int he metagame thread, I have to say taht this video does not represent your points at all and your play was actually weak. Yes, you won, but that doesn't mean you played your best or even good.

First, you talk about recovering with the clawshot, yet you never even once recovered with it. In fact, your recovery was pretty predictable since you always recovered the same. You need to vary more, the heights and the method. As you yourself said but didn't showcase, use your clawshot to grab the ledge.

Next, your game is seriously lacking more hit confirms and jab cancels. More than once you whiffed an utilt when your opponent was right in front of you and got punished for it. You should jab cancel into a grab or utilt more. In fact, most of your hits whiffed and some seemed to have no reason, like you were throwing them, which is interesting because you were trying to talk about playing with a plan. However from watching this match it doesn't seem like you have a plan at all.

Now, your use of gale was bad. Just bad. Most times you threw it int he opposite direction of where Falco was. Why? You also never threw it to him. I know you were maybe trying to position him, but it never worked, not even once. Hell, the one time it actually pushed him at 4:07 which you claim was on purpose it only worked out of luck. The only reason it pushed him was because he went for a gimp, got hit with your upB and got thrown onto the stage to then get pushed by the gale. You couldn't have predicted all of that. In fact, it looks as if you were just covering your recovery with the gale, something that is the first rule of recovering smart since brawl days. I understand what you say about using the gale to position chars (even if I don't agree entirely with it) but in this match, you didn't do that once. Your use of the gale at all was bad as I've said before.

In fact, your use of projectiles in general was sub par. Again, I know what you were trying to do but your projectiles never connected. Or if they did, they connected really poorly and didn't set up anything nor accomplish anything but rack some damage. Your arrows never gimped nor even hit Falco off stage. Once you even fired it in the opposite direction. your bombs very very rarely hit Falco too. I know you were trying to use them like snake uses his grenades but again, you didn't. You never soft threw them, never planted them, never comboed off them. you just held on to them and then had the explode ont he ground or your shield.

What I'm trying to say is, this video doesn't represent what you're trying to say, and it doens't even show case your actual skill maybe since it's actually bad. Your Link was slow, whiffed most hits, seemed as if you never had a plan, took bad choices in clear situation (at 2:00 you baired when falco was not only charging a smash, but withing fsmash/grab distance, at 2:33 he was at the ledge and you rolled and did utilt instead of throwing a rang, or running and grabbing/zairing, at 2:54 you took too long to react to have actually had the intention of using the gale effect, it looks as if it surprised you, at 3:07 you whiffed 3 ftilt when Falco was at the other side of the stage from you instead of using your bow, at 3:50 again a bair vs a charged fsmash, at 0:10 you spammed 2 utilts when he was clearly out of range instead of going for a jab cancel into ulti/grab).

It looks as if you need to focus a bit more on what the opponent is actually doing rather than on the plan you say you have in your head, because as it is your Link is low and would suffer a lot vs rush down characters like Fox or Sheik. You need to work more on jab cancels, hit confirms and, yes the phrase you seem to hate, spamming smartly because you really didn't in this match.

Last edited:

Oak~

Smash Rookie

down tilt is amazing for cutting through pressure from characters with weak projectiles like megamans pellets. just crouch cancel through the few hits and trade that ten percent or so for a quick follow up with that beautiful grasscutter( youre already holding down to crouch cancel so just tap A throughout getting hit and youll barely budge and react instantly)

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Interesting, so what other moves would u say this works on? Cause I have only ever gotten punished, or landed it on accident while trying to dsmash. But I'm definately gonna try that out!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Interesting, so what other moves would u say this works on? Cause I have only ever gotten punished, or landed it on accident while trying to dsmash. But I'm definately gonna try that out!
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What do you mean by the this in underlined?

Also, drop by the xat if you can and try to play some of us. Playing only FG can be bad for your health.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Sorry, I don't understand your question. What do you mean by the this in underlined?

Also, drop by the xat if you can and try to play some of us. Playing only FG can be bad for your health.
Sorry, I was replying to oak, I guess I didn't quote him right. What is the xat? Like a friend request thing? Count me in. I usually add good players from for glory but the majority of them give me an "f u spammer" type response lol.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Sorry, I was replying to oak, I guess I didn't quote him right. What is the xat? Like a friend request thing? Count me in. I usually add good players from for glory but the majority of them give me an "f u spammer" type response lol.
No the xat is the Link boards=mains chat thingy. This i the address:

http://xat.com/Smash4LinkCommunity

You can find someone tehre most hours. I'm always on, but not always on if you know what I mean.

And ok, I thought you were replying to my last answer.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'

ok got it, I'll have to do it on my computer, I don't think it is showing up right in my phone lol
No xat doesn't work on phones, only pcs. Anyways, work on your hit confirms and your jab cancels meanwhile.

Oak~

Smash Rookie
l

haha oh man i can understand the spammer response, i had a ditto match vs link a couple weeks ago and it was the first time id ever encountered a stream of arrows so annoying. hed gotten me off the ledge and every recovery he timed an arrow from the othe side of the stage, he got me getting up, coming down, jumping up from the ledge, rolling back on, trying to get up and shield, absolutely every option an when i did manage to get back on i still had to cross the whole stage before i could put pressure on him. i straight up closed my ds, went to work with the thought smash 4 was broken and id never open that goddamng ds again, then got home and went right into the lab to learn how he did it even though i hated it, just so i could learn how to deal with it. its no problem now but i definitely try to restrict it to no more than 3 in a row. its amazing for egde gimps but the boomerang is so maneuverable its nuts not to use it when you can. a great tip for the rang is if youre trying t chase a rolling or retreating player with it throw it straight at them horizontalle, if theyre advancing on you the absolute best option that i rarely see used is angle it down so it skips off the ground. theyre likely to short hop or attack while rushing you and the skip keeps the boomerang low enough to hit them at ground level but also high enough to catch them in a jump. if they shield its even possible for it to skip off the top of their shield and continue past and eventually back with a whirlwind push. im setting up a youtube channel so i can link some replays, link is suprisingly capable in this version of being a semi rushdown character with amazing pressure. spend some time in training just jumping, shorthopping nairs and fairs and doing down airs. what you want to accomplish with this is to find the perfect timing after your aerial attacks where the moves are autocancelled upon landing and you can dash, shield, shorthop, roll etc instantly when you touch the ground. its tricky but if you can do it you wouldnt believe how fast link can be if you bypass his usual landing lag, its like watching melee again.

as for the d tilt i havent found too many other uses yet, its got a great spike but in the instances other than a ko when youre able to use it its almost better to use his f tilt as it covers both his front and some of his back with the chop and has good horizontal, slightly vertical knockback. a bit of a mind game you can train into your playstyle is to close distance with a dash but when you get near the opponent tap your shield button but continue running, itll cancel the dash and youll be jogging instead, with your hylian shield active( its not during running, only walk crouch and jog) and pressing A will do an f tilt instead of his running attack. often the other player will read the dash attack and either roll or advance with an attack he thinks will win over yours but instead hes moved right into your f tilt :)

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Hello guys, i made a video where i put some stuff with Link that i found cool, and tried to be creative, so tell me what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAfV6mTzCZ4
I liked many of them. You should consider posting this in the meta thread as well. Just consider testing these and more on Mario since he's more average so we'd get a better idea of whether they'll work with chars with smaller hurtboxes.

Ieven

Smash Cadet
Thanks ! Yeah i'm going to post that on the thread, and yeah, i will try.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Btw, is Donkey Kong spelled incorrectly intentionally in the OP?

Me (Link) vs. Lucina (MilesSMB) Wii U - 1/24/2015 - For Glory Online (not expecting this to be posted in the OP, more looking for critique)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqQmlmGrOw&feature=youtu.be

This is a video of me playing against a Lucina in a For Glory match. I edited out the sound since the ambient noise wasn't very pleasant in the video. I'd love to get some constructive criticism by the folks on SmashBoards on various things I could do better (or even things I do well if that's there). I think I know quite a few of the things I do wrong when watching the replay, but I have habits that are hard to break out of (For example, I just turned tap jump off recently and now I'm trying to learn when how to pull out UTilts or USmashes whenever I want). Thanks!

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Btw, is Donkey Kong spelled incorrectly intentionally in the OP?

Me (Link) vs. Lucina (MilesSMB) Wii U - 1/24/2015 - For Glory Online (not expecting this to be posted in the OP, more looking for critique)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyqQmlmGrOw&feature=youtu.be

This is a video of me playing against a Lucina in a For Glory match. I edited out the sound since the ambient noise wasn't very pleasant in the video. I'd love to get some constructive criticism by the folks on SmashBoards on various things I could do better (or even things I do well if that's there). I think I know quite a few of the things I do wrong when watching the replay, but I have habits that are hard to break out of (For example, I just turned tap jump off recently and now I'm trying to learn when how to pull out UTilts or USmashes whenever I want). Thanks!
Ok so I'm still watching your video, but the first thing I'll say is stop rolling. You roll way too much for no reason and that's really bad. In FG you won't get punished, but in offline and competitive game you will get severely punished for rolling that much. Look at it this way as well, when you're rolling you're not attacking. There were times when Lucina was at the opposite end of the stage from you and instead of spamming you rolled. When you're far away you should be throwing your projectiles to either get her off stage or try to force a bad approach.

Other than that, work on jab canceling more and hit confirms. You should never be finishing a jab if possible; always jab cancel into a smash, utilt, or grab. Also, don't waste your second jump when recovering. You're jumping as soon as you can and that's really bad. A good player will gimp you and you'll be defenseless if you waste your jump. Also, use your boomerang when recovering to cover yourself from possible gimps.

The most important thing though is "stop rolling". Now, read the stickies, participate int eh meta game and try to play vs some of us or other people with more skill than the average FG player.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I'm still watching your video, but the first thing I'll say is stop rolling. You roll way too much for no reason and that's really bad. In FG you won't get punished, but in offline and competitive game you will get severely punished for rolling that much. Look at it this way as well, when you're rolling you're not attacking. There were times when Lucina was at the opposite end of the stage from you and instead of spamming you rolled. When you're far away you should be throwing your projectiles to either get her off stage or try to force a bad approach.

Other than that, work on jab canceling more and hit confirms. You should never be finishing a jab if possible; always jab cancel into a smash, utilt, or grab. Also, don't waste your second jump when recovering. You're jumping as soon as you can and that's really bad. A good player will gimp you and you'll be defenseless if you waste your jump. Also, use your boomerang when recovering to cover yourself from possible gimps.

The most important thing though is "stop rolling". Now, read the stickies, participate int eh meta game and try to play vs some of us or other people with more skill than the average FG player.
Thanks for the detailed comments =). Btw, I've been noticing something in particular with jab canceling. I'm able to do Jab1 > cancel > Jab 1 without too much difficulty when training, but I'm noticing that if I do Jab1 > Cancel > Grab, I have to pause a bit after the cancel. Otherwise I end up doing Jab1 again for some reason. Am I doing something wrong with the cancel? I assumed the second Link enters the crouch animation, he's canceled the Jab right?

Also here's a video of me taking your tips to heart although putting these into practice is much harder than the theory imo haha:

I was playing a Rosalina that was generally murdering me on For Glory (sry it's what I have for now), gimping me a bunch, etc. so I found playing this person a good way to force me to recover better, etc. (P.S. My first stock in this match is mostly just me getting owned...)

1. My approach (especially in this match), gets really predictable at times. Rang -> running Fair just leads me to get grabbed since I'm so predictable with it, yet I still do it for some reason.

2. I seem to throw bombs willy-nilly a lot. Probably should make sure they at least hit?

3. Was pretty hopeless once Rosalina got below me. I can try throwing bombs and/or fast falling, but I'm doing them miserably mostly... or I take a bunch of dmg before I get down.

4. Well I've mostly stopped rolling. When I'm comfortably winning, I barely do it at all, but I realize there are definitely times that I'm not sure exactly how to get around my opponent safely without rolling. So I end up kind of just standing there w/ my shield up or doing something risky (jumping right into something). I assume rolling is useful sometimes though right? I have noticed watching people roll a lot how useless it can be if you're so predictable with it. Makes me realize how useless my rolling was at times =).

5. I tried in other matches to recovery differently (pulling out a bomb at least), but while I could throw them at my opponent (which is good), they never seemed to explode on time to bomb jump... do I need to pull out the bomb really early or something? The time to explode is 4 seconds right?

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Thanks for the detailed comments =). Btw, I've been noticing something in particular with jab canceling. I'm able to do Jab1 > cancel > Jab 1 without too much difficulty when training, but I'm noticing that if I do Jab1 > Cancel > Grab, I have to pause a bit after the cancel. Otherwise I end up doing Jab1 again for some reason. Am I doing something wrong with the cancel? I assumed the second Link enters the crouch animation, he's canceled the Jab right?

Also here's a video of me taking your tips to heart although putting these into practice is much harder than the theory imo haha:
Yes, when Link crouches the cancel should've already taken effect. However, if you're still doing jab 1 it could be because the game is getting confused with your input. In smash you grab by pressing Shield+A, and the grab button is just a short cut. When you press the grab button the game is still reading Shield+A instead of "grab", so sometimes the game gets confused and registers either only shield or only A. To avoid this you'd have to manually grab by pressing Shield+A. This is what I do sometimes, jab1, cancel, and shield+A. The grab will always come out.

I was playing a Rosalina that was generally murdering me on For Glory (sry it's what I have for now), gimping me a bunch, etc. so I found playing this person a good way to force me to recover better, etc. (P.S. My first stock in this match is mostly just me getting owned...)
This is our Rosalina MU thread in case you have any questions about it.

1. My approach (especially in this match), gets really predictable at times. Rang -> running Fair just leads me to get grabbed since I'm so predictable with it, yet I still do it for some reason.
The problem with your approach is that you approach unsafely. That means, you approach with an aerial which if shielded (as it happened) will get severely punished. Approaching with aerials with Link tends to be a bad idea since they are all slow at start up and at the end. You should cover your approaches with your projectiles or either don't approach but rather force them to approach. With Rosalina this is hard because of gravity and Luma, so to know how to approach her in specific check the MU thread I linked above. A good rule of thumb is approach after covering your approach and then try to grab, or if you will approach with an aerial at least try to land behaind your opponent so they can't react OoS or at lesat it'll be more difficult.

2. I seem to throw bombs willy-nilly a lot. Probably should make sure they at least hit?
Yes you're not spamming smartly but just throwing for throwing. Every projectile you put out there should be serving a purpose, be it punish or condition via frame traps. Try soft throwing your bombs so they lie there like a mine and stop approaches. Also, don't pull out your bombs while standing still unguarded, you will get rushed down as it did. You need to pull it out during a jump or as you cover yourself with a gale or something. Check the meta thread for some ideas on how to use projectiles more efficiently.

3. Was pretty hopeless once Rosalina got below me. I can try throwing bombs and/or fast falling, but I'm doing them miserably mostly... or I take a bunch of dmg before I get down.
Again, check the MU thread. usually when you're above another character I'd say to use dair, but in this case it won't help you. Link is a character which sadly gets easily juggled, so that's an occupational hazard of maining him. Try to dodge or put our a dair. Even nair can save you sometimes if timed properly. For example, nair beats Sonic's uair.

4. Well I've mostly stopped rolling. When I'm comfortably winning, I barely do it at all, but I realize there are definitely times that I'm not sure exactly how to get around my opponent safely without rolling. So I end up kind of just standing there w/ my shield up or doing something risky (jumping right into something). I assume rolling is useful sometimes though right? I have noticed watching people roll a lot how useless it can be if you're so predictable with it. Makes me realize how useless my rolling was at times =).
Don't worry, you'll never stop rolling 100%, specially because there are occasions when you should roll. The idea is to roll smartly and not just spam it, because that would lead to just getting punished.

5. I tried in other matches to recovery differently (pulling out a bomb at least), but while I could throw them at my opponent (which is good), they never seemed to explode on time to bomb jump... do I need to pull out the bomb really early or something? The time to explode is 4 seconds right?
Yes it explodes in a little under 4 seconds actually. To have enough time for it to explode you need to pull out a bomb as soon as possible. Don't double jump for it though or you're dead. Save your jump. Also, hold on to it, cover your return with the gale. If you do this you can make it back low and use the jump to dodge gimps or cover yourself with a gale. If you jump and use upB the bomb will go off giving you another upB to make it to the ledge.

RoronoaTREY15

Smash Cadet
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Last edited by a moderator:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Last edited: