• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGHL Smash Bros. Tournament

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Video Game Hour Live is a television show filmed on the University of Texas campus, airing each Tuesday at 9 PM on channel 29.1 and on Ustream. We host tournaments in town every couple weeks, and this time, we'll be playing FIFA 12 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl!

FIFA starts at 5 and Brawl starts at 7, so get there early. Each tournament costs $10 to enter, but you can sign up for our combo deal and enter both tournaments for only $12. We will also be playing games outside.

We have crazy good prizes this time including gift cards to Play N Trade! Plus, for all tournament participants, our venue (Caffe Medici) is offering FREE BEER!

Venue Location:
Caffe Medici @ The Drag

As the usual entrants in our tournaments are of the more casual variety, and we have to also worry about time constraints at the venue, we will be running off a simplified version of the Unity 2.0 ruleset, which is as follows:

• 1 vs. 1 matches
• Single-elimination
• 3 Stock, 5 Minutes
• Sudden Death determined by stock, then percentage.
• Items set to Off and None
• Pause is set Off
• All Characters Allowed (Must stick with choice for duration of tournament)
• Stages picked are dependent on round (This will be modified based on how many participants we have)
o Round 1: Battle Field
o Round 2: Smashville
o Round 3: Lylat Cruise
o Round 4: Final Destination

And yes, MK is legal here.

While you can register at the door, we strongly encourage you to sign up online at the TSTV website so that we might get a rough estimate on how many entrants we will have.

We'd like to thank our sponsor Play N Trade and Caffe Medici for hosting the event. Hope to see you there!

Mike2

Smash Ace
Can we bring our own tvs? Will there be non-lag tvs?

I'm going for sure :)

edit* just looked at the rules

Still going

also, i'm assuming it's still Best of 3 tournament sets right?

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Changed the venue location for clarification. It is indeed at Caffe Medici on the Drag.

Looking into the tournament rules now. Like I said, previous entrants in VGHL tournaments have mostly been "casuals," so specific rules haven't been a big deal, but I am trying to expand our audience by inviting you all, the competitive scene, so I'll look into conforming to Unity 2.0.

The main issue with using the official ruleset is that we only have two hours to get through the entire tournament. Best of 3 with an 8-minute timer could very well cause issues with our time constraints.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
If they change some rules and pay out more than 1st place I will come.

Also they play out sudden death if it goes to time guys. :(

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I'm working on getting the stage rule changed at the very least. Gimme some time.

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I understand this is a casual tournament, so I'm not bothered by most of the rules. Working under a 2 hour time limit is tough stuff. I'm just gonna be going there to show some support and have fun. Even if we have to play on the same stage per round, I still hope it's a best 2/3. Given something can always go wrong in the first match would just suck in general for anyone.

But yeah, I guess it depends on turnout and setups.

So my priority list would be...best 2/3, no sudden death, stage list, and being able to change character. In that order.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Some updates:

1. Sudden Death won't be used. Standard stock then percentage rules will apply.

2. No best 2 out of 3. Due to time constraints, we just can't do this, sorry.

3. There will be Play N Trade gift cards as prizes for the Top 3.
1st - $65 gift card
2nd - $30 gift card
3rd - $10 gift card
There will also be a Brawl set-up outside the venue running FFAs all night, with winners receiving Play N Trade scratch-off cards, containing small prizes such as a free disc repair or extra trade-in value.

Still working on getting stage selection rules changed. Will have an update on that soon.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Tournament will still be single-elimination and the stage choices will still be the same. At least they're all neutrals.

I tried to have those two changed but due to time limitations there was nothing we could do. Maybe in the future we can try to get more time reserved, but as it stands here are the final rules for tomorrow:

• 1 vs. 1 matches
• Single-elimination
• 3 Stock, 5 Minutes
• Sudden Death determined by stock, then percentage.
• Items set to Off and None
• Pause is set Off
• All Characters Allowed (Must stick with choice for duration of tournament)
• Stages picked are dependent on round (This will be modified based on how many participants we have)
o Round 1: Battle Field
o Round 2: Smashville
o Round 3: Lylat Cruise
o Round 4: Final Destination

Edit: Also, reading over the thread, I noticed the question about bringing your own TVs, etc. There will already be TVs set up for the tournament, but unfortunately they will be HD. However, please do not bring your own, as Caffe Medici doesn't have enough room for any more. This is a public restaurant that will still be doing business during the tournaments, so we can't just use the whole place.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Thanks for coming guys; hope all of you enjoyed it. Please leave comments and criticisms here so that VGHL's next Smash tournament can be even better! Won't be making a results thread as I didn't take home the bracket and most of the entrants were casuals anyways.

Top Bottom