• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Very weird thing just happened

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I was watching a replay, and at the very end I pushed an input and my character did it during the replay... I've now seen it twice since just to make sure, and there is no move used. I don't believe in ghosts, nor am I implying there are any with this reference, but the same feeling you might get when seeing something that shouldn't be, was definitely there.

Has anyone else experienced this glitch? It's not important in the slightest, I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy. For anyone who wants to test, I hit jab once right as it said game (or right after) and Ganon punched. It felt super weird. It wouldn't if I knew it was possible obviously, but at the time it was not expected at all lol.

Edit:
Yep!
further testing, you can use a move after it says GAME! ok phew, not crazy. I just wasn't expecting that lol
in other words:
I HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THE PAST!

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
LOL nah man you're just seeing things.
Nope I have access to a time machine through through my 3ds it seems. I just used every taunt at the end of the same game. (3 times watching the replay lol) nothing can top that victory statement.

(side note, you may have to be standing perfectly still as the game is over)

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
I was watching a replay, and at the very end I pushed an input and my character did it during the replay... I've now seen it twice since just to make sure, and there is no move used. I don't believe in ghosts, nor am I implying there are any with this reference, but the same feeling you might get when seeing something that shouldn't be, was definitely there.

Has anyone else experienced this glitch? It's not important in the slightest, I just want to make sure I'm not going crazy. For anyone who wants to test, I hit jab once right as it said game (or right after) and Ganon punched. It felt super weird. It wouldn't if I knew it was possible obviously, but at the time it was not expected at all lol.

Edit:
Yep!
further testing, you can use a move after it says GAME! ok phew, not crazy. I just wasn't expecting that lol
in other words:
I HAVE THE POWER TO CHANGE THE PAST!
What do you mean by input?

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
holy crap this guy is right, just did it on a replay, I seen my toon link do the up taunt when I didn't do it the round I actually did when I beated this guy lol

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This sounds interesting, does this only work if you stand still after it says game? Can you be holding an item?
Its not that strange though considering that replays aren't actually videos, but two CPU's reenacting saved inputs from a list. Its odd though that your player input gets added to the list after the match ends. Like, why is it even taking inputs at that point?

What do you mean by input?
He means that he pressed a button.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
This sounds interesting, does this only work if you stand still after it says game? Can you be holding an item?
Its not that strange though considering that replays aren't actually videos, but two CPU's reenacting saved inputs from a list. Its odd though that your player input gets added to the list after the match ends. Like, why is it even taking inputs at that point?
Yep it's not that strange when you know it can happen lol. And yeah I figured it was the same replay system as in most games where they just have a log of all the inputs so it's not taking up processing and creating lag while you play (I assume it's the same case for spectator mode) But I was definitely not expecting to have the power to change it in real time after the fact, even if for just a brief moment. And I can't explain why it would switch over to a different system right afterwards. Especially since that seems like completely conflicting coding.

Last edited:

Tiberious

Smash Journeyman
My guess is it only saves input up until "GAME!", and then relinquishes control, but since you can still do inputs during the slowdown, you get that (useless) ability. Since it doesn't affect anything in the replay, they didn't bother coding against it.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I agree it's completely useless (amazing) I just thought it was weird when I first saw it, so I shared lol. Then I realized what was going on. It certainly creates the illusion of being in the replay, I just find it strange they would give control at all until one reached the score page and the menu screen again. This probably saved a bit of space, even just an extra second if no inputs were queued before GAME, which adds up over many replays. It really doesn't matter though, it was just interesting to find them using a work around even to shave off a little memory and coding in such a high polished game, if these were conscious decisions to do so.

Top Bottom