• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up Smash input

curry9186

Smash Journeyman
I was practicing SH Up airs when I noticed I'd sometimes up smash instead.
I had the control stick held all the way up (tap jump on) and by pressing jump and attack at the same time I would up smash.
I know about JC up smashes, but I was wondering if that input should be triggering them or not.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
You could do a running upsmash too, maybe your issue was with jc upsmash

br8k

Coolkid
One that's not accidentally jumping nearly as much as I was before I switched that option off.
Ahh, so one that sacrifices the incredibly useful Spin Attack Out of Shield because he hasn't taken the time to learn the push the control stick gently.

I used tap-jump-off for a very long time because it IS frustrating to accidentally jump, but when I started playing Link (and when I started playing Melee so I could try Samus), I realized it would be really beneficial in the long run to just learn to up-tilt without jumping. I still do up-airs with c-stick though.

Besides, the same amount of gentleness is required to down-tilt on a platform, so it's good to learn. It's only about as hard as learning to short hop with Fox or Samus. Which is to say it's pretty challenging when you start but it gets easier. Wavedashing is like that too. And a lot of basic techniques.

Link's spin attack out of shield is really great. If someone pressures your shield and lands behind you, you can still hit them really hard, really quickly. It's good for killing high percent people who are trying to pressure you. It's good for just being a scary option that makes people scared.

In Melee, Samus's up-B out of shield is practically her sole response to shield pressure, aside from wavedashing out of shield.

Fortress

Smash Master
Yeah, the up-special out of shield is an excellent option that I cannot do, but I'll sacrifice it for the ease of being able to AGT, wavedash, DACUS, and jump comfortably. I'm just much more comfortable without tap jump. There's no 'correct' control scheme.

Fortress

Smash Master
I can d-tilt on plats just fine, but I never got the hang of the timing on up-b OoS. I'll be getting the Wii I ordered sometime after the middle of next week, so I'll practice it then.

Top Bottom