• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to improve my Falco game.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
Being a Snake main, I've been having an encyclopedia's worth of issues going toe to toe with Falcos. Any pointers or suggestions to improve my game?

Being a Snake main, I've been having an encyclopedia's worth of issues going toe to toe with Falcos. Any pointers or suggestions to improve my game?
Well, I'm not going to be pointing out an all-purpose general approach to fighting Falco. I am not too sure myself and those sort of things are far to hand-wavy and all too likely to be misunderstood. Instead, I'll just point out some common areas that I think you should be able to punish falco in and other random tid bits.

Chaingrab. You can either avoid Falco's CG by taking the some odd percent yourself to avoid it, avoid grabs all together, or not care about it at all and merely deal with it once you get grabbed. The CG is really only devastating if you get carried to the ledge and spiked off where you can die if Falco does it right. Otherwise, you just end up with like 60%-70% if you do it right.
-If you intend to play without really worrying about the CG, then you need to make sure you are able to SDI the spike when it happens. Just grab a friend and practice that. I'd look up a guide on SDI to learn a neat trick to do it more easily.
-If unable to SDI the spike or you get messed up by mix-ups, then take the fail safe method and retreat to the nearest platform and just take damage from nades and falco hitting you.

Rapid Jab. Okay, Falco should be getting punished for using his rapid jab fairly frequently since you need to only SDI into bair/uair to hit Falco and punish him. Again, look up a SDI guide and practice it.

Dthrow -> dacus. Far too many people get hit by this and I do not quite understand why. Anyway, if Falco grabs you and dthrow's you at KO percents DI the dthrow up. You avoid all possible dacus shenanigans. But, probably the most important thing to remember is to pay attention to falco after he dthrow's you and bair/uair/dodge/nade reversal only after paying attention to Falco rather than throwing out a move randomly fearing you might be getting hit by something.

Lasers. I am not all to sure how to tackle this other than PS/Shield/duck lasers on approach if you decide to and hit falco. Eventually, you reach a range where Falco is too close to want to be short hopping since you can potentially dash attack at him to hit him from underneath if he does a laser.

Phantasm. You just got to react to his start-up lag and shield it when you see it. If Falco is at the right distance during landing after it hits your shield you can drop shield and dash attack/Ftilt falco for a punish.

Otherwise, not much more to go on unless you point out specific areas giving you troubles or a video.

TreezNTreflips

Smash Rookie
I've seen people stay within dash attack range and hit falco on the way back down from the second laser. One minor thing that bad falcos do is go right back to their short hop double lazer routine right after a showdown so you can punish that if you can get there on time.

I hate fighting Falcos; hes like one of the few characters in the game that can out camp a snake proficiently. Does anyone know if there is ANY way to out camp him with snake??

I'm generally playing on wifi, and reaction time means nothing in a setting where frames and inputs are dropped with a character that you can't button mash with.

Sooo, I feel I need to camp but the lazers destroy my grenades, not to mention his bs reflector. I've discovered with luck and perfect timing you can have grenades blow up over falcos head by cooking nades but thats about it. Any one have any other camping strategies to use against him?

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
Take out grenades while facing opposite to falco. Use up-tilt to space instead of ftilt at low percents since it's harder for him to punish with grabs that way.

I usually foxtrot cancel to bait phantasms. If you read the phantasm, face the way he's gonna land and shield, drop shield and ftilt.

Jab > ftilt combo is eh in this match up.

Top Bottom