• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Locator Tech Of The Week DOUBLE FEATURE: U-Turn And Moon Land!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
One Smash in partnership with Tourney Locator have worked together to produce the series: Tech of the Week! Last week we were very busy with CEO 2015 incoming and accidentally missed the Tech of the Week. To make sure no one misses out on the content we have made this article a DOUBLE FEATURE to highlight both videos!

Let's start with last week's tech. Those in search of a movement option good for mobility, shield pressure, and edgeguarding will be excited for this one. Learn from the world of Pokemon with Tech #68: U-Turn!

Want to become a real master of the ledge? This tech will help you get back on the stage and into the fast almost twice as fast for many characters. Tech #95: Moon Land!

Some may have noticed the numbers of the techs are slightly out of order. This is because all of the techs to be shared are a part of the One Smash Tech Tree. This makes each video feed of the others, showing how each tech works together to form a complete game. The other videos in the series include Fast Fall Break,Snap Back and Slow Run. A full playlist is available here so be sure to check these out to get the full idea of the One Smash Tech Tree. Hopefully these techs will help players up their games!

SmashCapps always looks forward to the Tech of the Week and hopes it can help people learn something new. To keep up with all of his writing antics follow him on Twitter.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Great stuff, but I'd really love to avoid a repeat of Brawl where every small nuance has a dumb name. Try to call it precisely what it is.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
I agree with GP&B. The videos are well done with useful bits of info, but the titles for them (and the names of the techs) can be a bit misleading.

For example, instead of "U-turn" (something that only barely resembles the actual motion that you do), it should be something like "turn slide" or "turn skid slide" (some name to not confuse with what "perfect pivot" is).

I guess they are just going for what they think will sound catchy, but I would argue to keep names as close to what the tech is actually accomplishing when possible and THEN possibly abbreviate that name if you're going for something that is easier to say quickly. We already have tons of people confusing wavebounce with b-reversals and stuff like that, so clarity for these naming conventions goes a long way.

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
You didn't make U-turn Tech #89 are you stupid?

I've never seen an opportunity dropped so hard. If it was someone's child that kid would be on the short bus for the rest of his life.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
This is front page worthy? Both of these are in Brawl.
Since someone brings this up EVERY SINGLE TIME these are posted, I will yet again say not everyone played Brawl, and not all who did so learned all of its mechanics. These help those folks learn these techniques.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
Since someone brings this up EVERY SINGLE TIME these are posted, I will yet again say not everyone played Brawl, and not all who did so learned all of its mechanics. These help those folks learn these techniques.
perhaps you and @ kirbykid kirbykid aught to throw out a disclaimer whether or not this was from brawl or not...

Notries

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4725-8324-6089
Wasn't the U-Turn already discovered by the Wii Fit Trainer boards as the RTAC or something? Or was that something else?

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
I don't get how to do the U-turn.

And I imagine Moon Land will be useless on characters like Luigi who sticks on the ground for three seconds after going helpless. Luigi also can't move horizontally while going up so.

Seem like Luigi is an anti-tech character :/.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Whats the pot bonus
Bahaha! Lol at the staged messages with auto-updating dates.

On topic, I can see myself using this "U-turn" tech as a rudimentary dash dance. I like the idea of being able to cancel my dashes. I'll definitely be looking more into how I can expand on the tech for extra movement.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
"The eagle has landed" It's not an eagle, it's a falcon! I might punch them just for getting it wrong
So tech 95 requires tech 96 to perform? Hello?
The numbers are just numbers for internal reference. See tech tree here for how the tech relates to each other: http://www.onesmash.net/tech-tree/

Great stuff, but I'd really love to avoid a repeat of Brawl where every small nuance has a dumb name. Try to call it precisely what it is.
You're free to call it whatever you want. You're also free to try and find all of this tech and work hard at making a video of it. Technical terms have their benefits, but our descriptive, short, catchy terms are just better.

I agree with GP&B. The videos are well done with useful bits of info, but the titles for them (and the names of the techs) can be a bit misleading.

For example, instead of "U-turn" (something that only barely resembles the actual motion that you do), it should be something like "turn slide" or "turn skid slide" (some name to not confuse with what "perfect pivot" is).

I guess they are just going for what they think will sound catchy, but I would argue to keep names as close to what the tech is actually accomplishing when possible and THEN possibly abbreviate that name if you're going for something that is easier to say quickly. We already have tons of people confusing wavebounce with b-reversals and stuff like that, so clarity for these naming conventions goes a long way.
Another problem is that we have a lot of generic descriptors for actions that aren't well defined either. People already throw "cancel" around everywhere. Auto-cancels are not cancels. The words skid and slid are also used a lot. We've researched our tech months in advanced and refined the name we assign to it to not overlap with existing tech/terms and also be descriptive.

perhaps you and @ kirbykid kirbykid aught to throw out a disclaimer whether or not this was from brawl or not...
Nah. It's the tech of the week series not... "new tech for smash 4 that wasn't in brawl of the week" Thanks for the suggestion though. It's good to try an clear up confusion here and there.

Seem like Luigi is an anti-tech character :/.
Luigi recovers better onto the stage with down b than up b. But... if you have customs, that grounding up b is really good for moon landing.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
The numbers are just numbers for internal reference. See tech tree here for how the tech relates to each other: http://www.onesmash.net/tech-tree/

You're free to call it whatever you want. You're also free to try and find all of this tech and work hard at making a video of it. Technical terms have their benefits, but our descriptive, short, catchy terms are just better.

Another problem is that we have a lot of generic descriptors for actions that aren't well defined either. People already throw "cancel" around everywhere. Auto-cancels are not cancels. The words skid and slid are also used a lot. We've researched our tech months in advanced and refined the name we assign to it to not overlap with existing tech/terms and also be descriptive.

Nah. It's the tech of the week series not... "new tech for smash 4 that wasn't in brawl of the week" Thanks for the suggestion though. It's good to try an clear up confusion here and there.

Luigi recovers better onto the stage with down b than up b. But... if you have customs, that grounding up b is really good for moon landing.
I'm a Zelda main, and I'm not being sarcastic, i genuinely want to know how would I Moon Land with Zelda? I'm getting punished out of Farore's Wind all the time, and this is a huge help, it just doesnt seem very possible. Thanks!

Last edited:

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm a Zelda main, and I'm not being sarcastic, i genuinely want to know how would I Moon Land with Zelda? I'm getting punished out of Farore's Wind all the time, and this is a huge help, it just doesnt seem very possible. Thanks!
The angle is really hard with Zelda. I can sometimes get it with a almost 45 degree angle moving up toward the ledge. I use delay to avoid the snap and Zelda can just barely make it over the ledge for a relatively fast landing (faster than grabbing the ledge and jumping up). However, Moon landing should be used when you're not in a position to get punished. Gotta scare your opponent away first.

Top Bottom