• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Data Project, character rankings and usage

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
So I been wondering how a tier list based on tournament results would look so I started to collect tournament data from the most important tourneys and end up with something I guess pretty informative so if anyone is interested in this statistics you could look here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dc5FhYjDliK7Eefx5W7AJruSgH6gNnWWaYn7AZCA6n0/edit?usp=sharing

The scale used to rank characters was the following, however you can change the values in the document:

Winner: 100pts
Top 4: 50pts
Top 8: 25 pts
Top 32: 10 pts

Tournaments Used: EVO 2015, CEO 2015, SmashCon 2015, SKTAR 4(incomplete), LTC3(Incomplete), you can also remove a tournament by putting the point scale to zero.

Edit: Removed the resumed info it's a pain to edit, check the google doc for the info.

Also I want to say that if anyone is interested in improving this, you could help me by checking if the data is correct and filling the incomplete tourneys. Another thing is that only main characters are considered, not sure what to do about secondaries.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Good project. It's a concise yet convenient way of measuring competitive efficacy.

I do find it interesting that there's as distinct a gap between Sheik and ZSS as there is. But to be fair, I doubt anybody would deny Sheik isn't the top character in the current meta.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Good project. It's a concise yet convenient way of measuring competitive efficacy.

I do find it interesting that there's as distinct a gap between Sheik and ZSS as there is. But to be fair, I doubt anybody would deny Sheik isn't the top character in the current meta.
Zamus has far fewer users than Sheik, which would affect both victory frequency and usage frequency. Only having about 2.3x the points despite triple the usage might be a useful data comparison to note.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Zamus has far fewer users than Sheik, which would affect both victory frequency and usage frequency. Only having about 2.3x the points despite triple the usage might be a useful data comparison to note.
I wonder if Nairo getting top 3 in every tournament (except LTC3?) has anything to do with it. That's 4/7. :4zss:

It's pretty much the same as removing two thirds of the Sheiks and only leaving Zero's and Mr R's results in. Should still be like 400-500 points.

Last edited:

Charoite

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Nairo getting top 3 in every tournament (except LTC3?) has anything to do with it. That's 4/7. :4zss:

It's pretty much the same as removing two thirds of the Sheiks and only leaving Zero's and Mr R's results in. Should still be like 400-500 points.
yes she with :rosalina::4pikachu: are the characters who pretty much gains this wins with only 1 one player representation, even at regional level these characters representation is low, comparing with others hbigh tier characters, like :4ness:,:4mario:,:4fox:,:4sonic:,:4diddy:, is very strange, hell i think :4metaknight:, has more representation that :4pikachu:.

Last edited:

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Update:

Added Nebulous Prime, Prelude II, PAX Prime 2015 and Umebura 19, changed the point scale for these tournaments to give less score beacuse imo they are not that important, also updated LTC3 y SKTAR 4.

Top 10
1.-Sheik
2.-Zero Suit Samus
3.-Rosalina
4.-Diddy Kong
5.-Mario
6.-Captain Falcon
7.-Pikachu
8.-Fox
9.-Donkey Kong (m2k + will carry)
10.-Pac-Man (Abadango carry)

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Update:

Added Nebulous Prime, Prelude II, PAX Prime 2015 and Umebura 19, changed the point scale for these tournaments to give less score beacuse imo they are not that important, also updated LTC3 y SKTAR 4.

Top 10
1.-Sheik
2.-Zero Suit Samus
3.-Rosalina
4.-Diddy Kong
5.-Mario
6.-Captain Falcon
7.-Pikachu
8.-Fox
9.-Donkey Kong (m2k + will carry)
10.-Pac-Man (Abadango carry)
Nairo did use Zelda at Nebulous Prime in top 10.

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Nairo did use Zelda at Nebulous Prime in top 10.
Yes, secondaries is something I dont know how to work around, I don't know if I should give them some points, also It's way hard to check the secondaries performance. I going to think about this for a while, also suggestion are also appreciated.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Yes, secondaries is something I dont know how to work around, I don't know if I should give them some points, also It's way hard to check the secondaries performance. I going to think about this for a while, also suggestion are also appreciated.
maybe half the points? or a ratio?

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
maybe half the points? or a ratio?
The problem is that you have check every single match to see if this secondary actually archieved something, it's like ally using marth and getting bodied, that completely doesn't deserve any point, so in short it adds a lot of complexity to the data recopilation, still is a possibility.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
The problem is that you have check every single match to see if this secondary actually archieved something, it's like ally using marth and getting bodied, that completely doesn't deserve any point, so in short it adds a lot of complexity to the data recopilation, still is a possibility.
If the secondary did something they get half the points and if they didn't, then they get nothing. Hmmm maybe that would work?

Rikkhan

Smash Apprentice
Added paragon as well as other tourneys like umebura 19 and extra points for secondaries.

Top Bottom