• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Thoughts on a Stage Builder for 3DS?

D

Deleted member

I've been thinking this for a while -- if Smash 3DS got a version of Stage builder. I don't think it's even possible to put a drawing system like the Wii U one has, but what I do think is possible is having a variant of Brawl's.

Okay, imagine this. You take Brawl's stage builder -- grid-based, tessellation on it's block so all platforms connect well,, basic blocks, soft platforms, different backgrounds, and a file system that just tells the game what to place like Brawl did. Brawl had this system to run efficiently and save space, while things like the tessellation in particular were added to make the final product look more pleasant, as the game couldn't detect the platform's size and re-texture it.

Some useful changes I would imagine are to cut out all of the background-specific objects, as they require you to pretty much commit to an aesthetics just for specific geometry, possibly add more backgrounds, though three would work well enough, and definitely, DEFINITELY add upside-down variants to, say, slopes, fixing the one major problem Brawl's Stage Builder had of commuting to walls or poor stage ledges.

The more I think about this, the more excited I get, mostly because of how feasible it is. I mean, Smash for Wii U can send custom stage data to your friends and they work online now, why wouldn't Smash 3DS be able to send a much smaller .bin that just makes a stage with in-game assets that everyone would get in a patch? Another issue it would fix is the 3DS stage roster, as it's REALLY hit or miss for some, including myself. Want a neutral that's not FD or Battlefield? Make one. Want a big stage with a cozy campy feel (like temple)? Make one (the 3DS can load Gaur Plain, it can totally load a large custom with about 20 assets max that just get re-loaded for different areas ).

With all of my excitement in this getting potentially added, I figured I let you guys know my thoughts and ask what yours are. Would you guys like a 3DS stage builder with improvements, adjustments, and removed features from Brawl (like the background-specific blocks, windmills, etc.) if need be? Do you just really not care? Do you think it would make the two versions equal in quality or enjoyment (I do)? Please, let me know!

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
It's a good idea but they probably couldn't put it in the 3DS version due to system limitations.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I do wish they had stage builder. But one thing I said on another thread was, what if we can create one stage on the wii u verson, and send it to 3ds?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
I wish this game had stage builder. That way we have a cheap imitation of Smashville. Also, why isn't there a trophy hoard? What is the point of having multiple trophies if you cannot take pictures of them?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I feel that the 3DS is lacking in tourney viable stages. A stage builder would help alleviate that issue and allow for more creative depth.

That said, it wouldn't be technically possible with the 3DS's limited capabilities. Nice thought all the same~

proxibomb

Smash Clown
The 3DS is totally lacking stages, so it would be best to add one. I just wonder how the game would handle the entire thing. Pretty sure the 3DS would be able to handle one.

I do wish they had stage builder. But one thing I said on another thread was, what if we can create one stage on the wii u verson, and send it to 3ds?
Sending through console to handheld would make sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It needs Smashville.
I don't know why didn't that make it into the 3DS version. It's almost remotely similar to Town & City, another Wii U stage, but eh, the tourney players need some love, right?

I would like the idea of a 3DS Stage Builder, however, I'm not sure how it would work on such system. Honestly, it's either because of the fact that you don't need that many features in a handheld game, leaving them to the console version instead (which I'm fine with), or hardware limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soul.

Smashville should have been in already. It's pretty much giving the 3DS version more or less the same stagelist the Wii U version has... except some.
--
If you could draw a layout with the GamePad, you can do the same thing on the 3DS' bottom screen. Stage building isn't a problem on 3DS.

D

Deleted member

In response to the 3DS being unable to handle it, I don't think that'd be an issue. Brawl's was designed to save space with things like loading a limited amount of textures (which would be even less if you cut out background-specific items), loading from a .bin that tells the game what to build when picking a stage, and creating a GUI to build the stage that was totally separate from the stage itself (in a technical standpoint). Brawl, in addition only loaded Mario (and one of them) to test the stage with. All the 3DS has to do is add a loading screen to testing the stage and save one copy for temporary use, cutting out loading Mario, the game's fighting engine (entirely), and just treat it like loading a match. Then, during testing, it doesn't have to load the entire menu for creating a stage like Brawl did, it just has to start editing the stage file like you do when editing anyway.

Would it work REALLY well? Probably not, but it's certainly possible to some extent.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
System to system seems fine. Would you consider DLC for more building content?
More game integration would fun, dont think they will do it though.
The 3ds is fine as it is, it doesnt need more crappy stages.
1) why make multiple profiles SIMILAR to mine? ONE is fine (btw, nice color changes to profile pic. I shall make a new profile pic with these and mine)
2) How would it be crappy? it IS based of one's thinking.
3) DLC would be a good idea for building content. I mean, with an update, the older 3ds and old 3ds xl got the amiibo menu (without NFC connector) so a stage builder page would be nice...

Last edited:

Swampertrulz

Smash Lord
NNID
Swampertrulz
3DS FC
3883-9003-2472
If they did put Smash Builder in the 3DS version it would be VERY limited.

OctagonalKahn

Smash Rookie
Limited but would be the best. Not to derail the thread, but I wonder it it would be possible to mod custom stages from the WiiU stage builder into the 3ds version...

D

Deleted member

Limited but would be the best. Not to derail the thread, but I wonder it it would be possible to mod custom stages from the WiiU stage builder into the 3ds version...
Well, if we learn how to make our own stages, we could probably re-create customs that don't use things like canons or magma to some extent. Until we get it down perfectly, like we have with Brawl, there'll probably be some slight differences between the source and the remake.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
That's what I'm hoping for. The 3DS can certainly run it.
It can. However there is a problem with actually PLAYING it. It's fine alone, but if you play multiplayer, you have to send data of the map to your friend through local or wifi. For an example: you have a custom map and all dlc maps. Your friend does not have the dlcs and your custom map. So if you select the custom, it might have trouble going through since he does not own the same thing. Dlc maps will work because they're embedded into the update so when it is selected by you and your friend cant, it will run.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It can. However there is a problem with actually PLAYING it. It's fine alone, but if you play multiplayer, you have to send data of the map to your friend through local or wifi. For an example: you have a custom map and all dlc maps. Your friend does not have the dlcs and your custom map. So if you select the custom, it might have trouble going through since he does not own the same thing. Dlc maps will work because they're embedded into the update so when it is selected by you and your friend cant, it will run.
I'd think so, too, but the Wii U can send your custom stages over wifi. All you'd have to do with a Stage Builder structured like Brawl's is send you .bin file over local wifi (or online) and have the game build it like Brawl did every time you load the stage. Brawl's preview pictures were just taken once as well (since the game doesn't load it and, instead, does so by building it to play when you choose it), which is why hacking them was so easy.

I think they could find a fix for that issue.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I'd think so, too, but the Wii U can send your custom stages over wifi. All you'd have to do with a Stage Builder structured like Brawl's is send you .bin file over local wifi (or online) and have the game build it like Brawl did every time you load the stage. Brawl's preview pictures were just taken once as well (since the game doesn't load it and, instead, does so by building it to play when you choose it), which is why hacking them was so easy.

I think they could find a fix for that issue.
true, but don't u think it would be too much for 3ds capabilities?

D

Deleted member

The large stages would DEFINITELY push the 3DS, but running a stage the size of Gaur Plain, which isn't too far off of Brawl's largest Stage Builder size, is actually fairly comparable to running a large stage builder stage. Gaur Plain loads one large background texture and about 3 layers of level geography. In Stage Builder running a background (which, like Brawl's, could be 2D) and object-limited, one-layer level geography wouldn't be much harder than running Gaur Plain.

The only issue is loading a lot of unique Stage Builder objects (a good one would have things like solid blocks, soft platforms, slopes, upside-down slopes, spikes, etc.). This is, however, where the weight limit comes in. In Brawl (and I have my bets that Smash 4 does this, too), the weight limit was VERY careful in making sure ANY kind of battle could run. This resulted in times where you could hack about 40 Windmills and play 1v1s just fine. In Smash 4, things like Magma took up extra space when used in one spot multiple times which is, of course, unnecessary. Here, a weight limit being necessary or imposing wouldn't be anything terribly cumbersome.

One solid platform has how many polygons? 6. A slope block? 5. Spikes? 18, with 4-polygon spikes on a rectangular prism (which is over-kill for a handheld). Loading all of these blocks into memory isn't too hard, either. Once you have one block, you have loaded it's face texture, it's top texture, and it's wall texture. Another one re-uses all of that, and slope blocks in Brawl re-used all but one of those. Still too resource intensive? just load a pallet for, say, the bottom of the spikes (or the spikes themselves). You don't need one.

It may require some corner-cutting, yes, but they have a TON of ways to cut those corners, and something like making a spike's bottom platform solid black or all of the Brawl techniques I mentioned above won't look or feel terrible (unless you REALLY want to look at the platform housing a set of spikes).

WarpingStar

Smash Rookie
I still don't get why the WiiU version got a new Animal Crossing stage and also the old one even though the most recent Animal Crossing title was released for 3DS.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I still don't get why the WiiU version got a new Animal Crossing stage and also the old one even though the most recent Animal Crossing title was released for 3DS.
Well, The stages for wii u are from CONSOLE games and 3ds stages are from HANDHELD games. For example, The new animal crossing stage for 3ds is from new leaf for 3ds. the new and old animal crossing stage on wii u is from Animal Crossing (Gamecube) and Animal Crossing City Folk (wii)

WarpingStar

Smash Rookie
Well, The stages for wii u are from CONSOLE games and 3ds stages are from HANDHELD games. For example, The new animal crossing stage for 3ds is from new leaf for 3ds. the new and old animal crossing stage on wii u is from Animal Crossing (Gamecube) and Animal Crossing City Folk (wii)
Excuse me, I completely forgot about Tortimer Island. My post is just another "Smashville isn't on 3ds :c" post then.

LemonOtter

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-7061-4628
If Mario Maker can't be a 3ds game, one without the enemies on top of the 2.1 gigs that sm4sh already has, a stage builder sure as hell wont.

D

Deleted member

If Mario Maker can't be a 3ds game, one without the enemies on top of the 2.1 gigs that sm4sh already has, a stage builder sure as hell wont.
The grammar and structure of what you said is making almost impossible for me to tell what you said. I'm not going to discredit it, but I don't know, exactly, what you want to say.

Top Bottom