• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
@ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I finished my picture. :)
Sadly, I'm not much of an artist yet, so I have to apologize for that, but I decided to spend the entire day whipping up a picture to the best of my ability, even if it means making one or two things from scratch. The fact that he's gone really struck me hard when I was almost finished with the photo. I don't think I've been so upset over a loss in a long time. To think someone like Iwata, who always seemed to love doing what he does despite the job's pressure, leave so soon and suddenly seems so unreal. Once again, I wish his family and friends the most of condolences.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sadly, I'm not much of an artist yet, so I have to apologize for that, but I decided to spend the entire day whipping up a picture to the best of my ability, even if it means making one or two things from scratch. The fact that he's gone really struck me hard when I was almost finished with the photo. I don't think I've been so upset over a loss in a long time. To think someone like Iwata, who always seemed to love doing what he does despite the job's pressure, leave so soon and suddenly seems so unreal. Once again, I wish his family and friends the most of condolences.
May I use this in the compilation?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
...wow, that;s so cute :)

Although, I don;t have much time to check my text rips, but where does Merlon said that?

I guess SPM, but I just don;t remember that :)

Also I actually took this shot because TTYD is quite symbolic to me:

Screenshot from 2015-07-12 23:27:21.png

As well as changed my sig for the occasion.

It;s sad to loose someone that devoted, but I think we should do what he would want from us: have fun and on my case, by devoted to have fun :)

RIP.....

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
...wow, that;s so cute :)

Although, I don;t have much time to check my text rips, but where does Merlon said that?

I guess SPM, but I just don;t remember that :)

Also I actually took this shot because TTYD is quite symbolic to me:

View attachment 61651

As well as changed my sig for the occasion.

It;s sad to loose someone that devoted, but I think we should do what he would want from us: have fun and on my case, by devoted to have fun :)

RIP.....
Thanks. Yeah, it's at the end of Super Paper Mario.
I can see what you mean! I like the screenshot. Yeah, it's probably for the best that we do that. If Sakurai's still gong on with his job in Iwata's memory, then I'm sure we can all move forward eventually. :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Oh wow this looks really good! Good job!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, so, this week was kinda rough due to the circumstances, but as his funeral are now done, I found it fine to resume my normal support activities, I'll miss Iwata though :(

The point however is that I'm awfully late to update you guys, I intended to update you on what I was planning to do with Sticker star, talking about the source gaming translation of the slides, but I just couldn't given how rough that week went.

There;s actually so much that I will separate this post in spoilers because otherwise, it would be very long:

Can I join the support group? I just started playing the original Paper Mario and I absolutely love it.
I added you a week ago and I knew I was late to add you, but read the second spoiler to know why.

You're welcome :)

Wow, that's pretty awesome! I didn't expect anyone to do something like that so soon.
Looks like I have some catching up to do. The support still seems great, and the thread has a catchphrase now! Awesome. :laugh:
Yeah, I think I changed our philosophical support 2 weeks ago because we now have a clear idea of how he would feel now as the part when "he wouldn;t be like mario" now matters less than the actuall feel itself. After 2 weeks and my new sig, I can confirm you that I will not go back to the old slogan. The newer one is MUUUUUUCHHHHH better and accurate.

The reason i did this is it doesnl;t have to do with his huge potential, but how it would be to use it. I think the new slogan kinda tells you what it is :)

Loving this support thread! I feel that Paper Mario has a decent chance to get in Smash 4.
If any Mario character would get into the game, in my opinion it would be Paper Mario. My heart is still set on Dixie but I still have voted for Paper Mario.

I can't wait to see what happens!
IF any would get, he does have decent chances, but I would like you to please read the third spoiler as it actually will be much more objective than before on uits chances.

Btw, thanks for your vote and if you still have evidences of what you wrote, please share, I really lvoe to see what people write in the ballot, but not a whole lot share it :(

I want Paper Mario in Super Smash Brothers for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U as a playable fighting character.
...you were on the list :)

I mean, I thought it was established given you actually made a moveset, but ok :)
I crumpled the cartbridge into a paper and threw it on my waste can

just kidding :)

But seriously, I actually was annoyed by the fact that last time I tried to rip some textures of the game, not all were able to rip while vg ressources had mroe textures. Motivated by my obsession of the series, I tried again......

and it actually went well despite being tedious as to how to figure it out. I ripped EVERY SINGLE TEXTURES!!!!

yes, that means every stickers, ever world textures, everything. The only thing vg resources had was sprites for characters and enemies, it had no stickers nor textures of anything. That is why I took the liberty to actually make some sprite sheet and some zip and I sent a total of 6 sprites stuff and 18 textures stuff for a total of 24 submissions. it would make textures and sprites much easier to acess if you are interested because tbh, some are really good. SS has an excellent artstyle that I feel was sadly not following the game because of how poorly implemented the rest was.

The point is, if I didn't posted for days even before Iwata's passing, that is why. it was VERY time consuming, like I took some days after Iwata's passed as I actually only took a day to stop crying (I really cried though......). Now, I got this all done since 2 days and as to when they will be available, it usually can take months before they even treat my submissions so....just wait. It took 4 months for my SS sfx pack to be accepted, but I was informed that sfx takes much more time to accept than graphics.

Hopefully, they would accept most of them :)
the following should be read by supporters:
Ok, this part is VERY important for all supporters to read because it's REALLY the reason I say he has decent chances.

For those who are completely unaware of that article, here:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/07/11/gdc-2008-translation/

HIGHLY recommended you actually read these slides an then read my view on them.

I'm going to get straight and present the most important part of these slides: the 4 criteria.

The first is that "The character must display personality in their game". This for me is a huge plus for Paper Mario because as I wanted to express this aspect of him with the new slogan, he really does have a lot. Like, I think it would be clear if I say this, but just his quirkiness and his motivation to just plainly look appealing while fighting is already something that helps this a lot. Like I said, it's not just him bashing with an hammer and using papery stuff, it's to use them in a way that they are just fun to do. To put this in perspective, mario really does seem to look happy, but Paper Mario feels like he's at a party or something. My point is that it goes much deeper to be almost essential to him. It;s like removing the thumbs up, literally no game that had him doesn't featured that, literally no games. It;s like an integral part of his design, removing it won;t make it bad, but it would remove his authenticity.

The second is actually another strong point of him: "It's important to have something the character can do". Well, i don't really need to elaborate on this one but I think you must get what he means by that. The first is that he should feel defined within his games so you could translate a playstyle, but the second means that you SHOULD be able to have that playstyle reflected by a moveset that makes sense. Yes, the playstyle is FAR more important than the moveset. I cannot stress this enough because if you see me getting very picky on moveset review, that is why. There;s characters out there that can do a lot of moves, but people have trouble to find them a good playstyle. In which case the moveset is mostly a mess, just google paper mario moveset, I saw A TON that just.....they are like random stuff everywhere.

Anyway, the point is, he has like almost everything to work with. I discovered recently by replaying SS that he even has a freaking "near the ledge almost falling" animation, that's like so much material to work with. And of course, his moves can be organised if done well to reflect his personality, it;s just a matter of choosing the right moves with the right purposes which we all tries to do when doing a mvoeset :)

The third is kinda of a "just check the possible stuff" It;s hard to speculate about the balance because I'm not an ssb competitive player so I can't talk about it much other than you can make the character itself balanced due to his playstyle. For game dev, it's actually a good point, Paper Mario and even his partners (let me say it: it's fine if it's not an AI, if you still believe the opposite, tell me there's a quote that just makes this not really logical now) are not really demanding. They are more demanding than G&W because it requires more frames and fluidity, but the polygon demand....fairly low which makes the issue that Ice climbers and almost olimar had.....not a problem here. The only thing I do see to be hard is to implement the whole artstyle, but again, it's not like they have to create every moves like G&W, they have a lot of base material in his sources games.

But the last point is when you guys should realise that he does have ONE con....

"Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration".

Let me make this clear: it doesn't mean he's unlikely. It really doesn't, but it does hinder him in the end.....slightly.

Ok this sounds confusing so let me jsut explain why this actually matters.

Sakurai was once very hesitant to include Wario in ssbm (feel way too lazy to get the source on source gaming) and so he actually decided to not put him in, why? Because he was worried to "overrepresent" the mario franchise. Now, this is when you must be careful with what he meant by "overrepresent" because it's much more complicated than numbers. It doesn't mean that the character is a bad choice, but it does mean the following: It MUST be worth this drawback. it should give enough good to the game roster to come to the conclusion that a slight overkill on a franchise representation won;t matter that much.

This is where Paper Mario is in now, it's pretty much in a limbo. It would be understandable to why Sakurai would be hesitant to put him in.......but he's like so much different and so much potential can be achieved that it does start to just be fine in the end. And ON TOP OF THAT, he is very seriously requested, i actually just got this spreadsheet being a compilation of several trusted polls here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

it basically is nothing new, but just notice how consistent his position is. From japan to USA, it;s really about the same. Given how wanted he is, it just start to matter less that he would be overkill in the end, it just is not doing that much bad stuff.

Now, I usually am very cautious of how popularity can help, but this case is a case when his popularity actually helps A LOT. Let''s face it, from an observer standpoint, he does feel suited for ssb. There;s a lot that goes for him with the only bad one I found being SS......but paper jam makes me forget that because it feels they might have learned the good of SS and just reuse it. This means that from this point, the only thing popularity can do at this point is help him. he is already known by many (it does help that he is from mario) and his series sells everywhere. Being highly placed in polls ONLY helps and it adds another point at the possible con of being overkill for the mario franchise.

Which basically means this: the ballot will help. Like, there's a lot of characters that could get a million vote and I don;t think it would matter much (hyperbole bu still), but Paper Mario case is different. He jsut doesn;t have THAT much cons to deal with and the only major one is just something that popularity can directly address.

And my last point is that if you read the slides, you will notice that they put a REALLY high emphasis on how the characters feels. This is like expressing to me from all possible angle I see it that if Sakurai were to check Paper Mario, i would still feel he would find the potential interesting. If he puts THAT much emphasis on this, Paper Mario has a lot in his design too. The very least I expect considering this is that he would get consideration, but the ballot, again, it jsut adds up to it.

There, so if you got a quote alert, read the first spoiler and I recommend everyone to read the third one.

Once again, sorry for the huge delay, but I think everyone would understand of how rough this week was for me, RIP Iwata :(

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I wouldn;t that quickly.

http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...life-with-fun-d.405399/page-401#post-19670169

@Neo Zero is a mod that was known to know stuff about the ESRB leak so in other words, what said in that post is pretty much the truth.

However, it DOESN'T mean any of that list are in, they would just be considered and again, it doesn't imply wolf isn't.....

It;s basically a trusted leak, but it doesn't confirm any in dev stuff. Although, I am cautious because I see paper Mario here.

The point is, don;t call it fake that quickly, leaks are much more confusing than it might be btw.....

I'm just relaying what I know so.....

I'll say for now, at least consider it.

EDIT: well, I would say to ignore it now, for some....very weird and unknown reaosns, @PushDustIn just said it's "likely fake" and he knew more stuff behind.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's kinda surprising to see Chibi-Robo on the claimed short-list. Earlier in the statement, it stated that these characters are from the ballot and I'd assume that means that they were highly requested. Is Chibi-Robo more popular than he seems? I rarely see support for him. (I'd love to see him in Smash btw.)

Still, I always like to see Paper Mario on leaks whether they are legit or not. Also, I wonder why those select characters as well?

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Yeah, I think I changed our philosophical support 2 weeks ago because we now have a clear idea of how he would feel now as the part when "he wouldn;t be like mario" now matters less than the actuall feel itself. After 2 weeks and my new sig, I can confirm you that I will not go back to the old slogan. The newer one is MUUUUUUCHHHHH better and accurate.

The reason i did this is it doesnl;t have to do with his huge potential, but how it would be to use it. I think the new slogan kinda tells you what it is :)
Yeah! This new slogan is definitely better.
I crumpled the cartbridge into a paper and threw it on my waste can
:laugh:
I didn't know you contributed to vg resource. Heck, I just visited spriters-resource about two weeks ago. I used to use that site a lot some years ago when I was tinkering around with some sprites.

Anyway, I have an almost firm confidence that Paper Mario will make it to Smash 4. I know I shouldn't be so confident about a character's chances, but going by all of the things we've seen, such as a push for unique characters and whatnot, I can't see why not. Heck, what surprised me were the poll results. Paper Mario's in the high rankings, and I didn't really expect him to be all that popular, which is awesome. At this point, I'd actually be a bit surprised if he didn't make it as a character.
By the way, what do you guys think of this? Someone from Gamefaqs proposed Petal Meadows should be his stage instead of the theater.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I wouldn;t that quickly.

http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...life-with-fun-d.405399/page-401#post-19670169

@Neo Zero is a mod that was known to know stuff about the ESRB leak so in other words, what said in that post is pretty much the truth.

However, it DOESN'T mean any of that list are in, they would just be considered and again, it doesn't imply wolf isn't.....

It;s basically a trusted leak, but it doesn't confirm any in dev stuff. Although, I am cautious because I see paper Mario here.

The point is, don;t call it fake that quickly, leaks are much more confusing than it might be btw.....

I'm just relaying what I know so.....

I'll say for now, at least consider it.

EDIT: well, I would say to ignore it now, for some....very weird and unknown reaosns, @PushDustIn just said it's "likely fake" and he knew more stuff behind.
the topic is gone. ._.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I recently started playing Paper Mario 64 for the Virtual Console and absolutely LOVE it so far. Just got past Tubba Blubba or whatever his name was. [Shakes head and laughs] Poor Tubba. In his mind, he was just paying the Boos back for all the crap they did to him.

Anyhow, now that I've actually played one of the games, I can definitely see how Paper Mario could be totally unique. Unlike regular Mario or Doc, Paper Mario could be much more utility and tactic-based--similar to Robin. Obviously, his neutral special would be the hammer. But, one gimmick Paper Mario could have is his jump attack, which could be executed just by footstooling. Unlike the rest of the cast, Paper Mario's footstool jump could actually do damage. Also, if Paper Mario got knocked to the ground, he would be completely flat.

It's official: I am not the least bit opposed to Paper Mario being in Smash. Once I finish the first game, I'm definitely going to try to get a copy of Thousand-Year Door (or at least that's what I think it was called).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I recently started playing Paper Mario 64 for the Virtual Console and absolutely LOVE it so far. Just got past Tubba Blubba or whatever his name was. [Shakes head and laughs] Poor Tubba. In his mind, he was just paying the Boos back for all the crap they did to him.

Anyhow, now that I've actually played one of the games, I can definitely see how Paper Mario could be totally unique. Unlike regular Mario or Doc, Paper Mario could be much more utility and tactic-based--similar to Robin. Obviously, his neutral special would be the hammer. But, one gimmick Paper Mario could have is his jump attack, which could be executed just by footstooling. Unlike the rest of the cast, Paper Mario's footstool jump could actually do damage. Also, if Paper Mario got knocked to the ground, he would be completely flat.

It's official: I am not the least bit opposed to Paper Mario being in Smash. Once I finish the first game, I'm definitely going to try to get a copy of Thousand-Year Door (or at least that's what I think it was called).
...This is why ttyd and spm would be hype on vc. I might REALLY love the series to own every games phisical, but it's just annoying to get, vc just makes our life SO MUCH easier.

Because Paper Mario has the very annoying con that Mother has too: it's not awesome until you try it. Sure, it can look gorgeous and sound awesome, but you can never tell it's awesome as a series until you try it.

And this is why that a lot of people would be very worried to see him as redundancy while he's not really in the first place. It's hard to think otherwise while there's not much reasons to, but if you play the games....this is another story.

Like just to put this in perspective, pm64 as fantastic as it is, the series as SO MUCH more, ch 3 of pm64 is awesome, but so is the rest of the game and as for ttyd....just get it. Seriously, it's just amazing what was done because it's just a really polished pm64.

This is why he's situation is just really messed up, the facts are he's top ten raw on most poll and with a bit of clean up, top 5. His series will get crossovered with another one and so far, lots of details was put into it. And pm64 is still on the recent best sellers chart on eshop since weeks.

Couple this with his wide and well defined uniqueness and you really wonder why he's not talked that much.

Because the only con I could come up with is Sakurai getting concerned of making the mario franchise overkill, but this is a case when popularity matters and he's quite underratec in that regard. I got so much shocked when I checked the actual poll.

Glad you you learned it that way because it proves me that being on vc matters a lot :) Enjoy the game btw, the rest is awesome and I personaly love the ch4, you might see why.

the topic is gone. ._.
I edited my post because we have very good reasons to think it's fake, but it's unfortunately private so....just ignote it now :)

The redesign on miiverse comes on July 29 (anyone remembers that date? lol). This means that I will play SS and do tons of screens :)

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I'm guessing that since none of the DLC characters really had a big animated trailer like the characters prior to release, Paper Mario won't get much more than what Ryu did, hm? More gameplay than anything else in the trailer. I'm still glad to know, though, that over time he's become a highly requested character.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
There's been a lot of talk about that King K. Rool costume. I sure he's likely to be a character and it's just a tease.
Wait a sec.

Pper mwro confrmed
I'm guessing that since none of the DLC characters really had a big animated trailer like the characters prior to release, Paper Mario won't get much more than what Ryu did, hm? More gameplay than anything else in the trailer. I'm still glad to know, though, that over time he's become a highly requested character.
Yeah, I keep forgetting that myself! I keep imagining his reveal with a normal trailer like everyone else before DLC. :laugh:
I mean, there's still no guarantee he'd make it, but I'd like to believe.
I was a bit surprised by his popularity, actually (according to some polls). It's great to have that, if anything. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I have been starting to get some Sticker star screenshots to add to the moves images album because the miiverse redesign happened yesterday.

And actually, yesterday, it has been a year since the paper mario stage was announced :)

If you feel nostalgic, I think the reactions started at around page 15 in this thread if you;re curious, lots of emotions :)

I can't believe you actually posted :)

and again, Paper Mario being that much quirky, it's not that hard to just have something that would tease you.

For example, it could just be a classic sfx like the hammer sound, a beep, etc.....

Trust, me it would be fine, there;s tons of ways to make an awesome trailer without much animation.

There's been a lot of talk about that King K. Rool costume. I sure he's likely to be a character and it's just a tease.
Wait a sec.

Pper mwro confrmed

Yeah, I keep forgetting that myself! I keep imagining his reveal with a normal trailer like everyone else before DLC. :laugh:
I mean, there's still no guarantee he'd make it, but I'd like to believe.
I was a bit surprised by his popularity, actually (according to some polls). It's great to have that, if anything. :)
lol, did you made this?

The thing about kkr tbh is I'm not sure. Before, i would consider him the most likely, but given that he has a costume.....not sure.

But the other way to see this is that they probably didn;t checked the ballot which means he was added preballot, but then this would imply that he could still be confirmed with the ballot.....

The way it matters for paper mario here is that after kkr, I would say paper mario would go after (for many reasons already stated in this thread a lot). And also that 2 slots remaining is the most likely so idk how to approach this because it;s hard to tell if it makes kkr less likely, or doesn't do much. Maybe there will be some data in the JP update :)

But like your pic showed, paper mario is almost impossible to be a costume. @GoldenYuiitusin jokingly said to me it would be "papier-mache" :) and the only idea I had was having a paper costume with a bunch of shiny stickers stuck on the mii :)

It's just not a character that you could make it look good with a mii. Plus, I do have to wonder if his move would even make sense even if you pass the "he should be 2d" part. He's not really a brawler nor a gunner. Swordman.....well he would have to use the hammer, but the problem is that anyway......it just would still feel weird :)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Just submitted a vote for Paper Mario.

Anyone whom has played a Paper Mario game knows that Paper Mario wouldn't just be a copy of Mario. Unlike Mario, Paper Mario could have a more utility-based moveset that incorporates aspects from the Paper Mario games, such as his jump attack, his hammer, and his partners. In my opinion, Paper Mario is an underrated series, and a great way to promote the series would be to include Paper Mario in Smash. Since the character is part of Nintendo's biggest franchise, he would have no trouble selling.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Just submitted a vote for Paper Mario.
YAY!!!!

^this is from SS as I'm doing these a bit of test :)

The only thing that strike me odd is when you say "utility moveset", it;s more link tbh. The versatility here is given at the expense of more punishement which does requires you to think more, this is how I would describe it. It's beyond using lots of stuff like link does.

Also, he could freak out like this:

:)

Hey @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 long time no see! Do you possibly remember me??? :ness:

Of course I do :)

If you care with how support is going, well I tried to go on reddit and realised I couldn;t do much.

I tried tumblr which actually does seem to work, I just have been less active lately, but with these new SS gifs coming, I would post more :)

For example, here's him using a hammer:

I could actually do this for all the games, it would be nice to see the progression of the series animations :)

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
lol, did you made this?

The thing about kkr tbh is I'm not sure. Before, i would consider him the most likely, but given that he has a costume.....not sure.

But the other way to see this is that they probably didn;t checked the ballot which means he was added preballot, but then this would imply that he could still be confirmed with the ballot.....

The way it matters for paper mario here is that after kkr, I would say paper mario would go after (for many reasons already stated in this thread a lot). And also that 2 slots remaining is the most likely so idk how to approach this because it;s hard to tell if it makes kkr less likely, or doesn't do much. Maybe there will be some data in the JP update :)

But like your pic showed, paper mario is almost impossible to be a costume. @GoldenYuiitusin jokingly said to me it would be "papier-mache" :) and the only idea I had was having a paper costume with a bunch of shiny stickers stuck on the mii :)

It's just not a character that you could make it look good with a mii. Plus, I do have to wonder if his move would even make sense even if you pass the "he should be 2d" part. He's not really a brawler nor a gunner. Swordman.....well he would have to use the hammer, but the problem is that anyway......it just would still feel weird :)
I was bored. :p
Yeah, a costume wouldn't work out very well. I'm not sure how they'd even pull it off. Personally, I wouldn't want someone swinging a hammer around with sword sound effects.
Well, I'm still holding on to some hope that they are accepting him as a character! I'm not sure how long it takes them to create a character, but I'm confident they're already working on one or two.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

After $2 and a year of waiting, I've finally been able to play my free Club Nintendo reward, Paper Mario (N64)! This is one of the best games I've ever played, and I think I could make 2 awesome movesets from just the first game, let alone TTYD and SPM and Sticker Star… Its the only thing I've played for the last 2 days since I got it, unless you count 30 minutes of labbing Greninja changes and seeing other character's buffs/nerfs in action. I think I already have 10+ hours into it and I'm only in the volcano next to the Yoshi Village.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well all seem good here, homewer. I have a question, is anyone known how Paper Mario is popular in people poll? I known that he is a popular choice (Not as King.K.Rool or Wolf but still.) but i don't see alot the paper plumber in people discussion regarding the ballot and people poll. So what do you think?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I was bored. :p
Yeah, a costume wouldn't work out very well. I'm not sure how they'd even pull it off. Personally, I wouldn't want someone swinging a hammer around with sword sound effects.
Well, I'm still holding on to some hope that they are accepting him as a character! I'm not sure how long it takes them to create a character, but I'm confident they're already working on one or two.
tbh, I don;t really think so, but there's a theory that because of the bundle, we could get 3-4 slots instead of 2.

If it;s the case however, he has quite good chances tbh :)

And for how long, I'll say quite a while. it is already seemingly a huge job to do one character + balance, but paper mario has something special: his artstyle. I guess it could take more time, but his animations and effects too, they are quite unique :) I don't feel it hurst him too much, but tbh, it is a case of "is it worth it?" and this is where popularityb helps again :)

As for effect, no we don't want slashes, we want cute clouds with little stars flying :)

He's just so cute :)

After $2 and a year of waiting, I've finally been able to play my free Club Nintendo reward, Paper Mario (N64)! This is one of the best games I've ever played, and I think I could make 2 awesome movesets from just the first game, let alone TTYD and SPM and Sticker Star… Its the only thing I've played for the last 2 days since I got it, unless you count 30 minutes of labbing Greninja changes and seeing other character's buffs/nerfs in action. I think I already have 10+ hours into it and I'm only in the volcano next to the Yoshi Village.
2$?

That;s the discount prices for the WiiU versions, YAY!!!!

Because if you were not aware, it's totally worth to rebuy that game on WiiU because of the emulation improvements. The biggest one is no lag especially noticeable on the pause screen, it feels much more accurate to my cartbridge on my n64 :) After, you get cool stuff like rumble, offscreen play, etc, it's worth 2$.

As for the game, yeah, it's amazing, but tbh, I am worried when you'll play TTYD because MANY (including me) just describe TTYD as a "polished pm64" and when someone says this, he means it in every sense of the term possible. It's basically so much polished that it is hard to come up with something better. Like, it has so much praise for several reasons and I am worried that you might pass out of this awesomeness if pm64 was THAT good to you :)

The battle system of TTYD is actually the best I've played in any rpg :)

The good part of pm64 is that it;s slow paced to make you appreciate the game more. It's pretty much the only game in the series like that and it;s also why i recommend it to start the series (that and VC).

As for moveset, of course you could, but wait until you play TTYD, most of his potentials are in that game, spm and SS (yes, even SS) has good stuff, but not as much as TTYD. And if you ask, SS has some new animations and moves like spike helmet (I even put a peeling in my back throw on my moveset).

As for the ch5 (where you are), pretty good ch, but I think you'll love ch7, especially the dungeon, it;s really good :)

Btw, do I add you to the supporters list?

Well all seem good here, homewer. I have a question, is anyone known how Paper Mario is popular in people poll? I known that he is a popular choice (Not as King.K.Rool or Wolf but still.) but i don't see alot the paper plumber in people discussion regarding the ballot and people poll. So what do you think?
we know since months actually :)

We had a JP polls and some american polls combined into this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Courtesy of smashdojo on tumblr btw.

I can safely say that pretty much all of these polls reflects him from what i see usually.

the first observation you'll come is that he is most of the time top 10 with the raw results. In any poll, this is to be expected and as for how good it is, it;s actually really good mainly because it;s raw data.

Because these shouldn't be taken as is. The way it would work is for example, ridley, he could be on the top of every fan poll, but it won;t change his situation much. So, if he was higher on the poll, it wouldn;t affect him as much to say that his popularity helps him more than paper mario. therefore, it's like an irrelevant result. Same goes for third party because you have only a few slots remaining added with the higher difficulty to do them, I honestly don't expect much third part now.....

So, what you do is you cut these as it;s not going to change much. You end up with him being most of the time in top 5 and sometime top 3 after kkr and isaac.

This is very high considering other factor about kkr and isaac.

Isaac thing is that the popularity is not consistent from America to JP, paper Mario is consistent and is often not that far back behind him..... As for KKR, before, I would have said he is more likely, but considering what happened with the costumes, I honestly think his chances got lower, but YMMV :)

So, relatively popular as you can see and as for why no discussion......you got the problem here :)

He is just underrated. This is mostly because if I try to describe him and you never played a paper mario game, you would probably think "why would want I want another mario, we have so many marios....", but as you might get....it;s a bit of a false assumption. When people says this, they are saying that him being another mario is redundant enough to just not want him. However, if you consider his potential and the intent of his series in the first place, it's a bit further than redundancy as most would think of.

Then you have to deal with something that is just the way it's made: it's a series that isn't awesome until you try it. Kinda like Mother, it's just the way it is. So, when people just think he would be redundancy, this is usually because it;s not something easily understandable if you don;t play the games. I could make moveset and playstyles posts all day and it still would be harder than it should because it has to with how you enjoy the games.

lastly, he simply isn't popular enough to have THAT much discussion. This is something you have to deal with for most characters support threads here, that;s just being in the minority :)

So, just don't fret if he isn't talked much, it;s just normal and I anyway do think I improved the situation when I became OP :)

Also, I just made a gif of what would be his near ledge animation :)

I really like pretty much any animations of him :)

D

Deleted member

2$?

That;s the discount prices for the WiiU versions, YAY!!!!

Because if you were not aware, it's totally worth to rebuy that game on WiiU because of the emulation improvements. The biggest one is no lag especially noticeable on the pause screen, it feels much more accurate to my cartbridge on my n64 :) After, you get cool stuff like rumble, offscreen play, etc, it's worth 2$.

As for the game, yeah, it's amazing, but tbh, I am worried when you'll play TTYD because MANY (including me) just describe TTYD as a "polished pm64" and when someone says this, he means it in every sense of the term possible. It's basically so much polished that it is hard to come up with something better. Like, it has so much praise for several reasons and I am worried that you might pass out of this awesomeness if pm64 was THAT good to you :)

The battle system of TTYD is actually the best I've played in any rpg :)

The good part of pm64 is that it;s slow paced to make you appreciate the game more. It's pretty much the only game in the series like that and it;s also why i recommend it to start the series (that and VC).

As for moveset, of course you could, but wait until you play TTYD, most of his potentials are in that game, spm and SS (yes, even SS) has good stuff, but not as much as TTYD. And if you ask, SS has some new animations and moves like spike helmet (I even put a peeling in my back throw on my moveset).

As for the ch5 (where you are), pretty good ch, but I think you'll love ch7, especially the dungeon, it;s really good :)

Btw, do I add you to the supporters list?
I got it off Club Nintendo last year for the Wii Virtual Console without researching that I needed a Pro Controller to play it, so I recently bought it for the discounted price since I have the Wii version on the Wii U Virtual Console so I could play it with my Gamepad.
The only game in the series I've played previously was SPM, which is amazing in its own way (especially the easy grinding trick on level 1 fby jumping on the rocks an enemy shoots at you).
I'm on the supporters list; my moveset is in the OP as well.
I should play TTYD, but I can't so yeah.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, you know the hype I was doing for SS screeshots?

Well they are ready

They are available here:

http://imgur.com/a/TrPkr

Around 250 screens were taken and it resulted in 65 images and animated gif.

To demonstrate how awesome these are, I will do some animations ideas with these, feel free to suggest your own ideas as I have included all of them in the other album with the TTYD stuff here: http://imgur.com/a/uj2o6

Anyway let's start

stance:
and
(these are gif, he does blink his eyes :) ).

if you would use TTYD, it;s basically this, but much more fluid (these only have 3 frames).

some idles animations:

Walking:
and
The only change I expect if you run is some clouds (they are cute :) ).

jumping:
and
pretty basic.

Now we can get to even more detailed :)

Near a ledge :
and
I really love these eyes.....they are so much showing pitty :)

Taking an item:
yeah, he even has one for that :)

paralysed:
THESE EYES MAN!!!!

about to be asleep:
being asleep:

trip:

burried:
(at least that;s how I think a buried paper would look :) )

some damages animations:

Falling after recovery:

For taunts, tbh, the only real good one from SS is the thumbs up and actually, it is the best thumbs up fo the series because....

Notice the frame when his hands pops out for a bit?

Only SS has it and imo, it makes it better :)

Altough, you could use this too:

Now for attacks.

Well you have the hammer of course:
and

But you also have some variants of it:
(he defy gravity here :) )

I really want to show the peeling because check the animation while imagining it is a back throw:
and
it fits :)

You coudl even have him do it as a down throw if you are into that:
and

If you have trouble choosing an up tilt, either this:
or this :

And this is probably the most silly attack ever, but cool attack idea:
just....look imagine any character getting slapped by a sandal.....too good :)

When it comes to shied, I really love this one:
and this one for going out of it:

Just leave this:
to be the crouch.

If you check my neutral air in my moveset, this is the pose he would have:
SS just has it.

This would be the pose he has if you superguard:
and I coudl even see him having a fail animation as lags:

Just an idea, he could do this when grabbed:

lastly, please I hope he can have a special damaged animation to replace his stance:

So there, now I think you probably got where I'm going from: he pretty much could fit SSB in the most surprising situations. Seriously, his sources games offers so much that it;s impressive that I got that far.

And i still want to remind you, this was only SS, I would like to do this for every games however because I love these gifs :)

So, what do you think? Should i do these screens for every games and we could have fun comparing them?

Because I just now have a ton of posts ideas on tumblr :)

Would have liked to see Paper Mario instead of Dr. Mario tbh
We can have both because they don;t really have stuff do to eachother. dr mario doesn;t make him less likely so, if you still want him, I could add you to the supporter list :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Does anybody know if I can beat Bowser for the 2nd time in the original Paper Mario and continue playing, or do I need a restore point/not beat him at all? The run can't die; I can't dedicate 3 days to a game just for it to end :cry:.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Does anybody know if I can beat Bowser for the 2nd time in the original Paper Mario and continue playing, or do I need a restore point/not beat him at all? The run can't die; I can't dedicate 3 days to a game just for it to end :cry:.
You can beat him, but continuing on will force you to reset the N64 (Not your save file, just the console itself since the ending trap you for an infinite time until you turn the N64 off), so I suggest saving beforehand so once you're done it's just a hike down Bowser's Castle and back to Paper Earth to do anything your heart desires (Although the game counts it as "You haven't beaten Bowser yet" scenario)
So that's the jist of it :drshrug:

D

Deleted member

Anyone remember this commercial:
0:23 is how the announcer should scream Paper Mario's name.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
After $2 and a year of waiting . . .
$2? Wait, that's for upgrading from the Wii VC to the Wii U one, right? Awesome! I have about $5 left from buying Smash retro stages! I'm definitely gonna-
D'oh. I just remembered I don't have that much space left. Cursed 32 GB. :facepalm:
So, you know the hype I was doing for SS screeshots?

Well they are ready
Whoa, good job! That's a lot of 'em. It's interesting to see the differences between the games.
I've never seen that before. Threatening to put Peach through a shredder? Having paper bust through glass? That was perfect. 10/10. :laugh:
That'd be a neat throwback if they did announce it like that. It sounds fitting! :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
pm64 and SS are the only game that does not offer a post game (unless you count the credits view in SS as one).

basically, pm64 will forces you to turn off your console and your file will still be there, it is essentially like you never beat him, but what I do usually is this:

If I go for a 100%, I do not start ch8 before getting everything I can because if I don't, I will have to save at the left tower of the castle (last save before final boss) and I will have to backtrack completely to reach toad town.....it's annoying.

However, if you took the peach's badges and you didn't put them in the chest, THIS I think is permanent, this game really doesn't have that much flaws, if it has one, this would be one of them because it prevents you from 100% I think.

No game in the series deletes your save file, SS will just go back to the tittle screen and for TTYD ans SPM, it does that, but you are in a post game which makes it much easier to 100%.

Really wonder why SS doesn't have one, seriously.

I do remember it, but the JP one just feels better :)

It's just silly :)

Although the American one does make them look like cardboard and tbh, that;s more accurate than paper, every games after is more paper :)

TTYD has much better commercial, I love both JP and US:

US:

Btw, idk what capture device they used to take the footage, but I think you coudl have done much better in 2004.....or could you?

JP has multiple small one that basically shows paper mario doing the paper power with being like a giant IRL:

But spm, sorry but Japan clearly is better ont hat one. The us one is just a "we would like to play (it;s completely unfitting because it's a freaking single player game). JP is....well much better:

Showing the geniusity int he gameplay :)

SS.....well let;s just say it;s very good considering the game anyway:

JP is basically kinda like spm with gameplay mostly, but tbh, there;s nto much to show.....

To me, in commercials, TTYD > pm64 > SS > spm.

spm didn't had much cgi.

As for the announcer voice, well I think it would sound a bit overkill if it was liek the commercial, but what I would like is a slight emphasis on the "paper".

Stuff like PAAAPEEEEERRR MAAARRRIOOO

and not just paper with mario coupled, I mean even toon link is like TOOOOOOOONNN link. while link is LLLLLLIIIINK.

$2? Wait, that's for upgrading from the Wii VC to the Wii U one, right? Awesome! I have about $5 left from buying Smash retro stages! I'm definitely gonna-
D'oh. I just remembered I don't have that much space left. Cursed 32 GB. :facepalm:

Whoa, good job! That's a lot of 'em. It's interesting to see the differences between the games.

I've never seen that before. Threatening to put Peach through a shredder? Having paper bust through glass? That was perfect. 10/10. :laugh:
That'd be a neat throwback if they did announce it like that. It sounds fitting! :p
Yeah, the only thing is taking the shots requires several works, but it;s going to be much easier because it;s on emu. I actually found that with a good setup, doing gif with screens can be faster, but I don't think it;s the case for TTYD and spm, these are 60 fps game, pm64 is 30 and I am pretty sure SS is 30 too.

Btw, put a cardboard into a thing like this and it wouldn't work so I was wondering why they put that instead of scissors :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Would Paper Mario be part of the Mario series or his own sub-series? And if sub- what would his victory theme and emblem be?

I think the emblem would be the typical Mario series one but modified to look like a sticker peeling off and the victory music...

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Would Paper Mario be part of the Mario series or his own sub-series? And if sub- what would his victory theme and emblem be?

I think the emblem would be the typical Mario series one but modified to look like a sticker peeling off and the victory music...

....I don;t think the emblem influence the victory theme, rosalina victory theme is not the same as mario and they have the same emblem.

But i do think it would be the mario emblem. to me, it sounds likely with the stage.

Which is actually a disadvantage because Sakurai might be worried to overkill the mario franchise.....but given how requested and how nintendo shows his importance lately.....this can be overturned.

As for the victory theme, yeah, that one is the msot chosen one and I woudl love it :)

the pm64 one is....decent, TTYD is much better though.

The SS one is no.....not that good tbh.

The other ideas would be when you end a ch and you have a lot of options here. I would choose the TTYD ch end because the notes are so strong it;s very satisfying.

Then you have the spm one which ok, but I would love much better the pure heart get music. As for SS.....well it;s decent, but the other optiosn for me are better. Oh btw, the pm64 ch end is good too.

But if I HAD to choose one victory theme, it would be the one you mentioned. It;s just the best imo and the most popular one :)

Last edited:

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
It turns out that I actually had enough space, so I got both PM64 and Ocarina of Time on the Wii U eShop. Awesome!
JP has multiple small one that basically shows paper mario doing the paper power with being like a giant IRL:

Ahaha. I just couldn't resist!

He'll probably be like Bowser and Rosalina; he'll have the same emblem, just a different victory theme, but it wouldn't matter much to me concerning what emblem they would give him. Yeah, the battle victory theme sounds like the best fit. I can't imagine anything else would be one, really.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
pm64 and SS are the only game that does not offer a post game (unless you count the credits view in SS as one).

basically, pm64 will forces you to turn off your console and your file will still be there, it is essentially like you never beat him, but what I do usually is this:

If I go for a 100%, I do not start ch8 before getting everything I can because if I don't, I will have to save at the left tower of the castle (last save before final boss) and I will have to backtrack completely to reach toad town.....it's annoying.

However, if you took the peach's badges and you didn't put them in the chest, THIS I think is permanent, this game really doesn't have that much flaws, if it has one, this would be one of them because it prevents you from 100% I think.

No game in the series deletes your save file, SS will just go back to the tittle screen and for TTYD ans SPM, it does that, but you are in a post game which makes it much easier to 100%.

Really wonder why SS doesn't have one, seriously.

I do remember it, but the JP one just feels better :)

It's just silly :)

Although the American one does make them look like cardboard and tbh, that;s more accurate than paper, every games after is more paper :)

TTYD has much better commercial, I love both JP and US:

US:

Btw, idk what capture device they used to take the footage, but I think you coudl have done much better in 2004.....or could you?

But spm, sorry but Japan clearly is better ont hat one. The us one is just a "we would like to play (it;s completely unfitting because it's a freaking single player game). JP is....well much better:

Showing the geniusity int he gameplay :)

SS.....well let;s just say it;s very good considering the game anyway:

JP is basically kinda like spm with gameplay mostly, but tbh, there;s nto much to show.....

To me, in commercials, TTYD > pm64 > SS > spm.

spm didn't had much cgi.

As for the announcer voice, well I think it would sound a bit overkill if it was liek the commercial, but what I would like is a slight emphasis on the "paper".

Stuff like PAAAPEEEEERRR MAAARRRIOOO

and not just paper with mario coupled, I mean even toon link is like TOOOOOOOONNN link. while link is LLLLLLIIIINK.

Yeah, the only thing is taking the shots requires several works, but it;s going to be much easier because it;s on emu. I actually found that with a good setup, doing gif with screens can be faster, but I don't think it;s the case for TTYD and spm, these are 60 fps game, pm64 is 30 and I am pretty sure SS is 30 too.

Btw, put a cardboard into a thing like this and it wouldn't work so I was wondering why they put that instead of scissors :)
The Paper Mario TTYD JP pub....I actually see it before when i was younger. It was in my first day on internet i think. And because of this pub, i really wanted this game! (But the problem is that i never got a Gamecube and the Gamecube era was ended after at this period, meaning that all the gamecube game we're removed and i so i never got TTYD until i was older. But at the place, i got SPM when i got the Wii when i was younger! So it's a good thing in the end.) Also fun fact, i don't understand when i first saw this pub that he was talking Japanese. XD

Top Bottom