• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There are no rules anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
With the death of the Gematsu Leak's credibility, there is no now obstacle to any character getting into the game. Does anyone else think that this is more harmful to speculation and discussion than beneficial? Without rules and boundaries, you can't assert your position in an argument, because your beliefs are just as imaginary and simultaneously valid as your opponent's. Without the ability to assert a position and ground it, you lose the ability then to reconsider and analyze that position. With the loss of that, doesn't character speculation merely transform into shouting matches, however civil?

What are your thoughts on Gematsu's death, and the effects it will have? Are you concerned now that there are no restrictions to suggestion and no standard of proof anymore? Or do you welcome the coming tide of screams and back-and-forthing that a lack of law will allow?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
With the death of the Gematsu Leak's credibility, there is no now obstacle to any character getting into the game. Does anyone else think that this is more harmful to speculation and discussion than beneficial?
Not if discussion just became "Gematsu is true, no one else has a chance. End of story." That's not speculation and discussion.

And that is kinda how you behaved.
Without rules and boundaries, you can't assert your position in an argument, because your beliefs are just as imaginary and simultaneously valid as your opponent's. Without the ability to assert a position and ground it, you lose the ability then to reconsider and analyze that position. With the loss of that, doesn't character speculation merely transform into shouting matches, however civil?
No, because you can still look at Sakurai's past behavior for evidence.

We see Robin got in - Robin is much more unique than Chrom. He even says something to that effect.

We see Lucina got in - she seems to be a clone (perhaps semi-clone) of Marth. But she's female. And Robin got a female alt. So giving extra points towards plausible female characters in Smash 4 is justified.

There are still plenty of other hints towards characters we can look at. We haven't seen Mr. Game & Watch get a character page yet. We've seen enemies from Ice Climber and Rhythm Heaven. We've seen Kremlings. We have Sakurai tweeting the Monado and Xenoblade devs tweeting about Smash Directs.
What are your thoughts on Gematsu's death, and the effects it will have? Are you concerned now that there are no restrictions to suggestion and no standard of proof anymore?
I'm excited because I only wanted Shulk out of the Gematsu 3. And I still think he has a chance. I didn't want Chrom, and had no interest in the Chorus Men.
Or do you welcome the coming tide of screams and back-and-forthing that a lack of law will allow?
1. There was still such behavior with Gematsu around, and you were one of the offenders.

2. It's very possible to have civil discussions with reasoning without some leak being assumed to be true and defining the entire roster.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I knew that the Getmatsu Leak was a load of crap. He picked obvious characters except Wii Fit Trainer. Once he got her right out of luck, he wanted another spin.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I so wish we could say it is dead, because I really couldn't care less about the two remaining characters he said would be added... But it's not completely dead. There was too much there to be coincidence.

So you all don't be surprised when Shulk and Chorus Boys still show up. I know I won't be, even though now I have a little hope that they won't. (I'd be fine with Shulk, but I want further new characters beyond that!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom