• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uniqueness Tier List: Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Meta-Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Those are all good, but Blue guessed it, I was planning a Hawlucha day.
Mew could be cool I have to say.

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 you got it actually. :)
I believe I mentioned Hawlucha in my original post. I noticed that he had his own thread here. Were you possibly the one that started it? :smirk: Btw, you also mentioned Hawlucha when you originally mentioned Poke day so you kind of ruined your own surprise.

Can't believe I forgot about Genesect though. Also, @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 , Greninja is too cool for Kalos Trainer so..:cool:

So.... Blaziken, Zoroark, Genesect, Meowth, Greninja, Hawlucha and Victini seem like 7 very good choices to me. Or, we could have the people vote like you said. I'm assuming Mewtwo doesn't count because he is a veteran.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
For Pokes I'd say Zoroak, Meowth, Victini, N, Greninja/Gen 6 Trainer

What other Pokemon could we rate? There isn't really anyone notable after that.
You wanna extend the week of Retros by a day till Sunday so we can rate Donbe and Hikari and maybe Goku (Famicom Tales)?
I wouldn't mind

I wouldn't do another Trainer, since Trainer's gimmick is unique and the new Trainer would automatically be low tier due to that.
This is false. You say trainer himself is unique by having three Pokemon. While this adds to his uniqueness, it is not what makes him unique. Sure Red is unique in that he has three movesets, but he is mostly unique because his Pokemons have unique movesets especially when put together. The combination of Ivysaur, Squirtle and Charizard should say how unique the trainer is.

There for if a new trainer were to be put in the game, his uniqueness should be based not off of the fact that he has three pokemon, but off of what the pokemon's movesets are and how unique his pokemon are.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A trainer that has fire, grass, and water pokemon plus the switching gimmick, would be stepping on some toes.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Captain Falcon and Roy were not from the same series based on various elements and did not share a mechanic. That was weak.
The point was that just because they are both fire pokemon doesn't mean they are that similar.

Take Charizard and Infernape for Example.

Charizard: Flies, is heavy, is dragon-like

Infernape: Knows martial arts, would probably be medium weight, would have good jumps and would be more human like since he is a monkey.

The only real similarity they would share is that SOME of their moves have fire.

What's weak is to compare the two in the way that you guys are comparing them in.

Last edited:

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
Guys. Sort of sorry for causing some thread derailment, so let's get back to discussing the uniqueness of Retros.
I can't really contribute much because I don't know that much about these kind of games.
Poke Week is next week.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Settle down people, it's retro day today anyways. Let's just wait for the inevitable 2 retros. Bubbles and Mach Rider please :)

EDIT: Lol, ninja'd

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Further more,

Pokemon Trainer: has 3 pokemon

New Trainer: Could have 1,2,3,4,5 pokemon

They are not limited to be the same character.

Also sorry for the slight derailment guys, I just want to make sure that everyone is thinking clearly.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The point was that just because they are both fire pokemon doesn't mean they are that similar.

Take Charizard and Infernape for Example.

Charizard: Flies, is heavy, is dragon-like

Infernape: Knows martial arts, would probably be medium weight, would have good jumps and would be more human like since he is a monkey.

The only real similarity they would share is that SOME of their moves have fire.

What's weak is to compare the two in the way that you guys are comparing them in.
In a uniqueness thread where a second trainer is at least based on another trainer, there is less potential for uniqueness because one character is based on the mechanics and style of another character.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
THE VERDICT:

It seems that Muddy fared really well with you guys. Everyone agreed that Muddy's dig mechanic and trapping playstyle is unlike anything we've seen so far. Thanks for the great movesets @Opossum and @Ariand/AEM! So Muddy easily gets A Tier, in fact he is placed the highest so far.

Sable wasn't as impressive, but he did okay. Sable is placed in B due to his "little swordsman" playstyle being shared with Tink, and his transformation gimmick just not being unique anymore.

Today we will discuss the ultimate WTF characters, Daitoryo and Diskun! Tagging @Pacack and @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 for Daitoryo.

Daitoryo's card mechanics can be interesting, but what does it bring to the table?

Diskun is unlike anything we've ever seen, but... What exactly can he do?

They need YOUR help!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ah so weren't not going to satisfy FirstBlade's needs of Mach Rider and Bubbles eh?
Alrighty then. :p
This should be interesting.
I'd imagine Daitouryou would have an Okami-sort of vibe moveset.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
There are limited slots, so I recommend choosing relevant, popular, and/or important characters like Zoroark and Meowth.
Well, considering his popularity we should discuss Blaziken. He's only been more likely thanks to his Mega-evolution.
We should also discuss a fairy (aside from Jiggs). Possibly Sylveon (since she was basically the face for the fairy-type for a long time prior to the game).
A Second Gen pokemon needs to be discussed as well (There is woeful lack of representation of 2nd Gen in Smash, at least current smash). One's that have received renewed relevance thanks to X&Y, such as Azumarill (fairy) or Scizor (Mega-evolution).
Zoroark considering his spot in the 5th gen mythos (he had a movie, right?) and Genesect too.
We can discuss a 6th Gen Pokemon, but I feel that Sakurai and Gamefreak couldn't accurately pick a Pokemon from that gen that would be popular enough to merit inclusion prior to X&Y's release. Nevetheless, a stand-out popular Pokemon from Gen 6 is Greninja.
I can't think of another good choice for a 4th gen rep to discuss. 1st gen has enough Pokemon represented, and we needn't really discuss Mewtwo since he's been in the game already. But I'm open to which pokemon to talk about there.
Personally, I would like to discuss Gardevoir (a fairly popular fairy with a mega-evolution). Working on a moveset anyway and will be posting in the Gardevoir topic soon regardless of if we discuss her or not.

So Pokemon that should be discussed: Blaziken, a Fairy that isn't Jigglypuff, Zoroark, Genesect, Greninja.
Pokemon I'd like to discuss: Azumarill, Scizor, and Gardevoir.
I also suggest we have a day devoted to the discussion of a 2nd Pokemon Trainer as a whole
I'd go with maybe two a day like we're doing now (Just because there are a ****-ton of Pokemon). So, maybe 6 days of discussing 2 Pokemon and then the final day would go to discussing the idea of a Second Trainer (possible topics could include: ways to improve on the stamina mechanic, type weaknesses, what pokemon to use, etc).

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
My opinions on Daitoryou are very mixed, and so I shall choose to abstain from discussing him at the moment. Further commentary may provoke a decision to join.

Diskun has always been a character that I've struggled to see the potential in. As a historical character, the near entirety of his support is based on his perceived value as a representative of Nintendo's history. It's not really any moveset potential that drives his support, though I have seen some at least mildly interesting movesets crafted for the little guy. However, most such movesets make use of vaguely-interpreted concepts and very fanciful gimmick effects that we can't even be sure Sakurai would also come up with. With roles almost exclusively related to cameos, Diskun is more of an icon than a character, and that leaves him with very vague and restrictive options for a moveset and playstyle. Sakurai has shown before that a restrictive moveset potential is not always a bad thing (see ROB, Ice Climbers), as that allows him to be more creative and fluid with what he constructs. I do believe that Diskun is so limited, however, that any moves that he'd have would be stretching to reference anything at all. There are interesting ideas that could be developed through somehow integrating data, saving information, and copying information, but how likely is that to be interesting? Diskun, to me, appears to favor style over substance. He falls into the same group as many other characters who, by simply being animate beings, have moveset potential, but are so nebulous in nature that it's very difficult to decide whether or not what they'd bring would:
A. Be different enough from other characters
and
B. Be considered by Sakurai himself.

Aesthetically, Diskun could be argued to be a bit more unique. He's essentially an animate logo, which means he'd possibly be 2D like Mr. G&W, but could also simply be three-dimensional and flat, if Sakurai wishes to portray him as a solid disc rather than a logo. Because his body shape is so angular and compact, I imagine he'd move like no other character does, maybe not even bending his limbs at all, and simply wobbling and tottering all over the place. Because he's so simplistic in design, he stands in stark contrast to just about everyone in the roster. With nothing but a very unorthodox body and a pair of eyes, he's instantly distinguishable from the rest of the cast, which would certainly make him stand out as unique and interesting.

My verdict? Diskun can be argued to be unique in the same way that any character can. It's his immediate capabilities and the likelihood of those being translated into the game in a unique way that I believe must be analyzed here, and I have trouble judging his potential in that area to be more than a D grade. Note that this does not mean I am hostile toward the character's inclusion. I am fine with low-potential characters being included. I'm not judging Diskun based on his overall merits, but only on his uniqueness factor.

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Everyone agrees on Pokémon Week next week? Let's try something new. You guys, after giving an input on the character being discussed, can nominate Pokémon to add to next week.
There are limited slots, so I recommend choosing relevant, popular, and/or important characters like Zoroark and Meowth.
I think that Pokemon Week is a good idea, i want to suggest RPG Week AFTER Pokemon Week (Since Pokemon is mostly a RPG it would connect perfectly), RPG week wich could include:
-Shulk from Xenoblade.
-Characters of Fire Emblem from Awakening (Chrom, Lucina, Robin).
-Other Characters from Fire Emblem (Not Awakening: Lyn, Anna, Tiki)
-An Antagonist from Fire Emblem (Medeus or Grima most likely)
-Secondary Character of Mother/Earthbound (Paula, Kumatora, probably, though there are more characters)
-Antagonist from Mother/Earthbound (Masked Man, Pokey, Giygas)
-Isaac from Golden Sun. *Pro tip: prudent distance between Shulk and Isaac.

If i passed over any RPG that can be added to the list, tell me. And about Fire Emblem and Mother/Earthbound, there are many characters of those franchises that i did not listed, i listed those who i consider more relevant or likely to make the list possible in one Week, though more than one Week could be used if it was necessary.

Now about Pokemon Week, i have quitted Pokemon in 4th generation, being the last generation that i played. So i dont know much about 5th and 6th generation. Since 1st generation is well represented and 4th have Lucario, i think that we 2-3 generations and 5-6 are the better option to talk about, Considering also Fairy type and Mega Evolution like ToothiestAura said. But i want to bring something different to Pokemon Week, human part of Pokemon. The exception would be Meowth, Anime Meowth is the one that can have more potential moveset, since SSB is about videogames, it is debatable if this is correct or not, but i consider videogame Meowth boring.

Pokemon Ranger should be considered, i mean it is one of the most succesful spin-off of Pokemon, it could be different from Pokemon trainer, fighting directly in the battlefield and being assited by Pokemons somehow. It is the only Option from a human not being a Trainer unless you consider...
Nevermind...
About Pokemon Trainer, we know that if he is unique or not depends in what Pokemons have in team and how those are developed.
My personal preferences are:

But basically Pokemon Trainer could be redesigned in other way, keep reading.

At the my proposition would be like this:
-2nd Generation.
-3rd Generation.
-5th Generation.
-6th Generation.
-Pokemon Ranger and Todd Snap (;P).
-Anime Meowth and Discussion about Pokemon Trainer.

You are free to accept or not my Suggestions.
3. Has the concept of the character been done before?
No, there is currently no trickster or trapper in Smash
:snake:
Something I never liked about making a Pokemon be part of a team was that it was forcing other random shlubs to be a part of the character when it could very easily just be unique.
The reason it works for Pokemon Trainer is because his team is comprised of three of the most iconic Pokemon in history: the first games' starters.
An idea that i had days ago was making Pokemon trainer something optional, i can imagine between 6 and 9 pokemons being individual characters and then you can select Red and up to 3 of the avaible Pokemon (you could select 2, or 1 but in this last case Red would be just a decoration), it could use b+taunt in order to change Pokemon and it would have Stamina system and Autochange after death to balance gameplay. Canonically Pikachu, Jigglypuff or even Mewtwo make sense to be in Red team (also the 3 starters of Kanto), the only playable Pokemons that were not related in all SSB to Red are Pichu and Lucario, 1st Who cares for Pichu? Red had Pikachu, why would he be interested in a weaker version of Pikachu. 2nd Lucario being of 4th generation, i think that he didnt appeared anytime with Red, but would anyone be angry for that? And i dont see other problems for 5th or 6th generation either. Pokemon Trainer could actually had different versions being Red the main and including other trainers. And for final smash, it could use the Mega Evolution of the current character being used (to those who had Mega Evolution if they dont have one, they could just use another thing) a combination of Pokemon team in one Final Smash it wouldnt be necessary (yet it could be interesting if is done correctly).

Here, i reinvented Pokemon Trainer, a character that is customizable in appearance and that is based in the possibility of combining characters that can be used individually (Red+Charizard+Pikachu+Mewtwo=Epic). Completly new concept in Smash. My next challenge is to create an imaginative moveset based in Urban Champion.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I think it might be cool if we rated a few veterans in order to see what basics work for a smash moveset.

Anyone think Veteran Week sounds like a good idea?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Daitouryou

1. How many diverse options does this character have?
There really only seems to be one option for this character and that is a Game and Watch-esque thing where the character pulls _____ from ______ for all moves. In this case, it would be based on the Daitouryou cards. I just can't see this character working any other way.
2. Is their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the cast?
Daitoryou has access to ribbons, animals and nature (especially flowers).....but that is about it. There are some odd things thrown in as well like sake cups, planks from a bridge, a curtain and lightning. While most of these things are unique (Peach now has a ribbon) a lot of it just doesn't seem very plausible. Attacking with animals (especially things like butterflies and deer) seems both wrong and unfitting for Smash. This is especially concerning to me because the animals still look pretty realistic even if they are a weird color like red for example. Mr. Game and Watch's turtle is very cartoonish and he and Villager attack with objects for the most part. Flowers could work but once again I can't see anybody attacking with realistic flowers in a Smash game. Now for the other objects.... Lightning is plausible and makes sense but isn't exactly new. I'm not sure what to think of the drinking cups. Sure, Villager and Game and Watch use objects but throwing a drinking cup just seems so....(how should I put this)....silly? The worst part of it is just that the design of the character doesn't seem to fit with what he is doing. Mr. Game and Watch is an unrealistic silhouette so just about everything fits on him. Villager is a kid pulling out household objects for the most part. But Daitoryo appears to be Napoleon....using flowers and cups to attack. This is another thing that bothers me and I'll go into detail below.
Yes, we already have 2 random item Smashers, Game and Watch and Villager
3a. If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique?
Not that I can think of. Not in the vein of Villager's Pocket ability, Tree planting, or Lloid Rocket anyways. Doesn't mean that somebody else can't though.
4. Does the characters abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
Meh. Using flowers and animals doesn't get me as excited as hitting someone with a bowling ball, food or a chair per se. Kind of depends.
5. How visually different is the character in terms of body shape and looks?
Very. But the realism and the fact that it is pretty much a portrait of a real person is a deal breaker for me. Another reason why Daitoryo doesn't seem to fit is due to this fact that he looks like Napoleon. It just doesn't correlate with him throwing cups, calling deer, etc. In fact, I don't think this would look right on any realistic person to be honest.
6. Does it fit the character well enough?
For the fact that it is based off a card, yes. But for the fact that it looks like Napoleon, no.

Uniqueness Rating: D+, Daitoryou is very...interesting. While realistic animals and flowers may be unique as attacks, it just doesn't fit in a Smash game (animal abuse?) nor do these attacks correlate with the appearance of the character. There also doesn't seem to be much other usuable stuff other than that in retrospect. That being said, there really aren't many plausible things to draw from at all. I also feel like the point of this character and the bane of its existence just seems to be for another "Game and Watch" type character. Frankly, it doesn't work, which is why a lot of these things come across as forced.

Last edited:

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
I think it might be cool if we rated a few veterans in order to see what basics work for a smash moveset.

I remember discussion of Veterans in previous pages, main problem with this is that valorating Brawl+Melee characters would take many weeks of discussion, i say that because people is not going to agree with the position of characters... For example i consider that Meta Knight is an A tier, yet in previous pages other users place him in a really lower position.

About Diskun, i see him like a Blank Blackboard. Yet is not the type of character that Sakurai would use, he said that he was thinking to revive a Classic character to revive his franchise as well, Like Kid Icarus Uprising and Pit.

Last edited:

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Diskun

1. How many diverse options does this character have?
A couple, to be exact probably 2. 1 involves Diskun being a sort of literal translation of the Famicom disk system in which he shoots discs and copies opponents. There is also usually some original moves thrown in. The 2nd involves him taking bits and pieces from games on the Famicom such as Duck Hunt and Excitebike giving him a more Game and Watch vibe.
2. Is their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the cast?
In a way. With the literal Famicom version he is able to copy opponents. The copy works pretty much like Kirby's for the most part but instead of one move it is the whole moveset.:glare: That beings said the concept of it is not unique. Another move could have him shoot floppy Famicom discs. Which when broken down, to bare bones is really just another projectile. Of course, there are a couple things you can do to make this more unique (such as shoot out more than one or have it do laggy damage). Other than that, considering that they are LITERAL discs, there really isn't anything entirely game changing you can do with them. Him using literal wires is also something I see brought up which is underwhelming to say the least since it acts as a tether with electric damage. The other side of Diskun uses pretty much anything you want him to as long as it is from a Famicom game and the character isn't in Smash already. This certainly gives him lots of options and potential to be unique but I feel this is a straight up cop out. Diskun never uses any of the things he does and it really is taking from other characters , hence, the potential isn't coming from himself. It may make sense in a way considering he is the mascot or whatever but that still doesn't change the fact it doesn't actually come from his own ability like the other retros, in fact, he is pretty much stealing moves from the actual perfectly viable retros. The only thing he really can do by himself are generic attacks such as kicks and headbutts....
Kirby copies and Mr. Game and Watch and Villager have randomness covered. Done and done.
3a. If it has been done before is the character's way of doing it unique on its own?
Not particularly. Instead, Diskun copies the whole character's specials which seems cheap and kind of defeats the whole purpose of having different characters. Oh, and he can get rid of it without having to taunt. :facepalm: If there is something as crucial as Villager's Pocket mechanic or something then maybe the Game and Watch esque moveset can be unique.
4. Does the characters abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
The Famicom inspired moves sound boring and pretty unoriginal. As for the retro moves, thre are lots of possibilities for entertaining moves, but again he doesn't actually use them.
5. How visually different is the character in terms of body shape and looks?
Very.
6. Does it fit the character well enough?
The literal Famicom fits but the other retro moves do not, especially because with his body shape and frame a lot of retro inspired attacks would actually look quite weird.

Uniqueness rating: D, The literal Famicom idea sounds...to put it bluntly: BORING. The retro moves can be really fun an unique but don't fit him. The retro idea in general is a cop out and is just taking moves from other retros that he doesn't use. Aside from the other retros moves, he is nothing pretty much, and the fact that he needs to use other characters potential to not have generic moves means he himself has no potential.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

It may be easier to just do some sort of poll for that then actually having a discussion.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think you're underestimating Daitouryou's moveset potential, the animals are in a different art-style that it's really hard to call that animal abuse, he would use those animals as attacks, but they won't get damaged. Just imagine the blossoms he uses as attacks, I think it may be strange, but itis bizarrely cool.
I would give him a A-.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I want to rate these guys, but I know almost zero about them. I guess I'll have to go check out their fan pages.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
In my Daitoryo moveset, he transforms into animals instead of using them.

Edit: Here's my moveset:

Jab Combo - Slashes with a card held in his right hand, then does the same thing with his left hand.

Side Tilt - Wide card swipe.

Up Tilt - Uses a bush-warbler as a sword to hit upwards.

Down Tilt - Swipes a poetry ribbon next to the ground.

Side Smash - Transforms into a boar and jumps forwards.

Up Smash - Transforms into a deer and jumps upwards, hitting with his horns.

Down Smash - Spins holding an umbrella in his hands.

Neutral Aerial - Spins holding cards in both his hands.

Forward Aerial - Commands butterflies to fly forwards.

Back Aerial - Commads butterflies to fly backwards.

Up Aerial - Puts a barrel of sake upwards.

Down Aerial - Attacks with a water iris downwards.

Neutral Special - Poetry Ribbon

Daitoryo swipes a poetry ribbon in front of him. If you hit the enemy, you grab them and can rotate the analog stick to spin them and deal damage. Pressing any direction throws the enemy.

Side Special - Cuckoo

Daitoryo throws a cuckoo forwards. The cuckoo deals damage to enemies and can be killed, but is very powerful if it hits an enemy. If you try to reflect it, you only knock it back a bit and it continues flying, eventually damaging you.

Up Special - Flight With Geese

Daitoryo holds a geese and flies upwards with it. You can control it as much as Snake's Cypher, and it rises at about the same speed.

Down Special - Frog

Daitoryo transforms into a frog and swipes his tongue, then returns to normal. This knocks enemies upwards and sometimes causes them to trip.

Final Smash - Chinese Phoenix

Daitoryo calls the Chinese Phoenix to the stage, then the Phoenix launches a lot of giant fireballs into the stage. These do great damage and are almost a one-hit KO.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I think that Pokemon Week is a good idea, i want to suggest RPG Week AFTER Pokemon Week (Since Pokemon is mostly a RPG it would connect perfectly), RPG week wich could include:
-Shulk from Xenoblade.
-Characters of Fire Emblem from Awakening (Chrom, Lucina, Robin).
-Other Characters from Fire Emblem (Not Awakening: Lyn, Anna, Tiki)
-An Antagonist from Fire Emblem (Medeus or Grima most likely)
-Secondary Character of Mother/Earthbound (Paula, Kumatora, probably, though there are more characters)
-Antagonist from Mother/Earthbound (Masked Man, Pokey, Giygas)
-Isaac from Golden Sun. *Pro tip: prudent distance between Shulk and Isaac.
Fire Emblem should probably get it's own week, there are a lot of options. RPG is a bit too broad a term in my opinion, considering it encompasses all these games that all fairly different.

As for anime Meowth it isn't impossible. It does seem that the Pokemon representation is at least partially based on the anime: they say their names rather than making the actual animal noises they do in the games and Lucario speaks based on his anime-movie appearance. I also think that Jigglypuff was chosen for Smash 64 given her popularity in the anime. So, it isn't crazy that he might be based on his anime counterpart.

As for pokemon ranger and Todd we can discuss them on the day we discuss the idea of a 2nd PT as a whole.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
No Pokémon Trainers please.
I'd say Meowth, Zoroark, Genesect, Blaziken, Greninja, Hawlucha, and one more.
Eevee sounds cool, Mew would be pretty neat as well.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, we'll do Eevee.
Everyone okay with the selections?
I also want more discussion on these two, since their uniqueness is extremely underrated.
Even if they don't bring anything new a D doesn't make sense unless they're a complete clone or are completely boring with no potential whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom