• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uniqueness Tier List: Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Meta-Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I haven't played the games of these next two candidates, but I'll try my best here.

Saki: B+
Saki wields a futuristic beam-sword which is also a laser gun. There's a lot of potential there. In the Saki topic there is a pretty good moveset, one which gives Saki two types "bullets." Normal and homing. Homing is slower and stronger, normal is quicker and weaker. He has a limited amount of each type of bullet, but they recharge over time. Saki's normal attacks include projectiles if you have ammo. Without ammo Saki's attacks are more sword-based. However, his unique weapon of choice and risk/reward playsyle of his ranged options as well as his "bullets" affecting the majority of his moves make him fairly unique.

Mallo: B-
Mallo is a little sumo cat. Mallo's design offers something very unique, a small heavyweight (he's a sumo wrestler after all, and they're heavy). Sumo wrestlers rely on pushing moves and their heavyweight to ring-out opponents, needless to say, that translate very well to Smash. I can see Mallo with sumo moves, grapples and rushing attacks to capitalize on his weight. If he were just a sumo wrestler he wouldn't be that unique. But given that he's from a puzzle game, he can add more. Mallo should be able to summon a puzzle block to push around the stage and be used as a unique zoning opportunity. My idea (I haven't played Pushmo/Crashmo, so bear with it if it isn't accurate) is the he summons a block the size of a crate (possibly a little bigger) with vB. He push it around the stage (with >B) and use it to hide from projectiles/attacks. By hitting the attack button again while pushing the block, Mallo can send it flying forward (similar to the wheeled cart) and do some moderate damage. It should only move forward about 3 spaces (I think that's the max you can move blocks in Pushmo). To keep it reasonable the block should not be able to be picked up, and should not prevent ledge-grabbing. Possibly it can be pushed off of the stage to meteor opponents, but leaving Mallo without a block for some time. His FS could involve larger puzzle blocks that are more damaging to opponents or something. Overall, fairly unique.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's seems there was little interest on how Saki and Mallo could be unique, that is alright! I'm going to end this day now, one is a cowboy armadillo, the other is a pilot. Today we are rating Dillon and Goose. Can Dillon prove himself to be unique as the A-tier characters with his unique rolling ability and tower tactics and can Goose prove that mechanics of possible jet-packs and planes prove to be unique enough?

Some research could be used for Goose here. :p

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
To really get this thread back into shape:
GOOSE

1. How many diverse options does this character have?
Goose has plenty of options in his disposal, he can use a jetpack to hover his way back to recovery, able to glide down slowly in the skies with his birdman. His playstyle is basically great on aerial staying true to the roots of Pilotwings. He would be all about making a wall of pain, much faster and slightly stronger than Jigglypuff. He also has a horrible ground-game, as his attacks are weak and don't have much range to pull off.

2. Is their moves or abilities diverse from the rest of the Smash cast?

Goose's abilities are pretty similar to Jigglypuff, but he functions much differently from Jigglypuff with using his jetpack and pilot-related gear.

3. Has the concept of the character been done before?
Air-game reliance has been done before with Jigglypuff.

3a. If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique on it's own?
Yes, but the air-game is much quicker and faster for Goose.

4. Does the character's abilities and moves provide enough to be entertaining?
Imagining that people love to stay in the air during battle, I could see this being potentially lots of fun flying around to kill off opponents, possibly being the more better received character than other air-game users.

5. How visually different is the character in terms of body shape and looks?

He has a visual distinct look with his chicken leg-shaped head and being a pilot with gear. I think it's visually different enough.

6. Does it fit the character well enough?
Yes the playstyle and moves Goose has does fit the character well enough, with the games being known for flying, it truly fits the character very well.

Grade:
B+

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Goose seems like he would have multiple ways to recover (especially with specials) like Metaknight while also boasting Jigg's air superiority. I would imagine he would have long limbs, yet weak attacking power. So far, no strong aerial candidates have been announced so he could be the first strong aerial character out of the group. But he would most likely be a hybrid of things already done. A solid B.

Dillon has digging abilities, potential tower mechanics, dynamite, and a cool Western flavor. S.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Unfortunately, I don't know anything about these two characters, so I can't make analysis for them. Let's see if tomorrow there is at least one character I know.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
It's been a while since I posted here. I think the last time I did, it must have been when we were judging Ridley. I put him as a B+ for uniqueness. I'm doing one for Dillon now, since I feel I know a decent bit about him, compared to the other guy.

Dillon

Dillon can easily work as both a character who sets up traps all over the arena and someone who can burrow underground. He could also be a fast character that fights with his claws, rather than punching or using a sword.

Yes and No. Dillon would likely be the only character that can go underground to fight. And very few characters rely on traps. However, he can roll into a ball much like Sonic. And Snake has is own traps too.

Snake has traps of his own. Sonic can roll into a ball.

3a. If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique on it's own?

Dillon's Traps would be more "Acitve" than Snake's. As Dillon can use Turrets on the field that could constantly fire for a set amount of time. Rather than having to wait for an enemy to fall into the trap like Snake would. This could also let Dillon fight another enemy while one is busy with the trap. Dillon could also use his traps to edge guard the arena.

Dillon's rolling is also a little different from Sonic's. Namely in that Dillon's Rolling doesn't need to knock the enemy back. Instead he would latch on to them and deal multiple hits at once.

Being able to Slash and Kick as fast lighting should really interest those who are fans of Rushdown characters in other fighting games. Like Wolverine in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. Rolling into a mini wrecking ball of doom should also be fun to do. Dillon can lob Dynamite in an arc too, which should stand out a little, as not many characters in Smash have lobbing projectiles. And most importantly, Dillon could summon various Turrets to help him in battle. Whether it's a Cannonball, or a Gattilng cannon, either can offer something different than anything we've seen in Smash. Again, going underground hasn't been seen much in Smash either.

Dillon's motif shows that he's a western inspired hero. He's got the cowboy hat, bandanna, boots and belt buckle to prove it. He's even got a scar on his eye, something else that visually helps him standout. He also has a very simple color scheme of red and Yellow. with a little bit of blue and black to throw in some color diversity.

Trap based characters seem like a perfect fit for a series like Smash. As the stages are as important as the characters chosen. This means players will have to properly position their traps in order for them to work correctly. And can be really satisfying and fun for any player to pull off at the right moment. Visually, Dillon fits in fine as well. He's sort of like Megaman or Fox, where he's clearly has a cartoony design. But has a slightly more serious tone to it, fitting the character.

Verdit B-: Dillon's traps and burying undergound help him stand out. But rolling into a ball is Sonic's main trait, so that might deter some players. Same with his razor sharp claws, as that can be seen as one of Wolf's traits. Smash also has it's fair share of quick characters in general, such as Sheik, Fox, and the recently announced Little Mac.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, the review post for Goose, does this apply only to him, or can it apply to any and all Pilotwings characters?

andimidna

Smash Master
I've never heard of Goose, and Dillon seems a bit similar to Sonic...
Fast, rolling up into a ball for attacks...
If they could give him a unique recovery and Final Smash... maybe. he'd be alright.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I've been meaning to play Dillon's Rolling Western, but I know about it. Pilotwings I have played.

Dillon: A
Dillon has quite a bit of potential. As a Western character type, he would bring a new attitude to the game. With his ability to burrow, his explosives, his rolling and his tower defense turrets. While guns aren't allowed in smash, the Turrets could be changed to shoot canonballs. B could be Turret, which would place a turret at his location. The Turret would be able to be damaged and destroyed, and by pressing B near it, DIllon can repair/improve it at the cost of being vulnerable while he does so. Keeping it out longer would be beneficial, obviously.

Goose: B-
Goose has some unique options for sure. There are a number of things Goose could use. I think the Birdman is his best option, it could allow goose to creatively use aerial momentum to stay airborne and attack. However, gliding and aerial based combat are not entirely unique. But Goose could have a unique spin on it.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Saki reminds me of ZSS, but with a sword set. However, I see his beam as doing something more similar to fox. So I'd give him a C-

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Alrighty I think now is the perfect time time to end today, the amount of responses in this thread are improving steadily, so let's try to really get back on track. Here's a good day, today we will be rating Chibi Robo and Wonder Red. Alot of people have been clamoring Chibi Robo's uniqueness, I wanna see how that can be made into a good playstyle. And there's Wonder Red, whom can unleash a huge fist, and possibly borrowing moves from the other Wonders with the huge sword and gun. Can he prove himself enough to get to the top?

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Alrighty I think now is the perfect time time to end today, the amount of responses in this thread are improving steadily, so let's try to really get back on track. Here's a good day, today we will be rating Chibi Robo and Wonder Red. Alot of people have been clamoring Chibi Robo's uniqueness, I wanna see how that can be made into a good playstyle. And there's Wonder Red, whom can unleash a huge fist, and possibly borrowing moves from the other Wonders with the huge sword and gun. Can he prove himself enough to get to the top?
The Wonder Red characters all seem very diverse so I can see a rep being very unique, but I just can't take their voices seriously enough. I'm going to try and watch some gameplay to rate them, but I honestly might just end up laughing too much...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
WONDER RED

Wonder Red has plenty of options in his disposal, he has his Wonder Fist to use for normal attacks and special moves. He can also call out random wonder members in his disposal to use to improve his attack and range. The more members Wonder Red has, the better his attacks and range. However his members can easily be killed even when alone standing. He's basically an Olimar, except he's using his minions for the sake of improve his stats.

Being able to call out members to attack and use for his own power is really unique on it's own. Although the concept has been done before with Olimar.

He's pretty similar to Olimar, but he uses the members to improve his stats and not use them for attacking the opponent.

Yes, the epic feel of playing as a superhero makes for alot of interest for those who like epic-styled characters.

He's a superhero whom has a relatively large trapezoid head, I think he's different enough.

Yes all of his attacks are based on the gameplay of Wonder Red, and I personally think he doesn't need to borrow the special moves from other Wonders to diversify his moveset.

Grade: A-

Cpt.

Smash Lord
WONDER RED

Wonder Red has plenty of options in his disposal, he has his Wonder Fist to use for normal attacks and special moves. He can also call out random wonder members in his disposal to use to improve his attack and range. The more members Wonder Red has, the better his attacks and range. However his members can easily be killed even when alone standing. He's basically an Olimar, except he's using his minions for the sake of improve his stats.

Being able to call out members to attack and use for his own power is really unique on it's own. Although the concept has been done before with Olimar.

He's pretty similar to Olimar, but he uses the members to improve his stats and not use them for attacking the opponent.

Yes, the epic feel of playing as a superhero makes for alot of interest for those who like epic-styled characters.
He's a superhero whom has a relatively large trapezoid head, I think he's different enough.
Yes all of his attacks are based on the gameplay of Wonder Red, and I personally think he doesn't need to borrow the special moves from other Wonders to diversify his moveset.

Grade: A-
This is cool, but I don't think he should work like olimar. It hurts his uniqueness and he has high potential. I can see his attacks calling out wonder members, but they don't stack/stay out.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
He does do that in-game, and the members are used much differently (he doesn't command the Pikmin and throw them as means of tactics.).
I think that's how unique he can go IMO to stay true Wonder Red.
But I do have to think how the members should be called out, because in the game, you have to look for members in order for them to be paired with Red. Is there another effective way to go?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Starting tomorrow (If I get this thread owned soon), I'll be updating this thread to Modern IPs week.
I'll try to fit in as much modern IPs as possible:
Here's a list of what were going to rate:
1. Isaac
2. Marshall (Or a Rhythm Heaven character in general)
3. Saki (or Isa)
4. Dr. Kawashima
5. Ray MK
6. Mii
7. Chibi Robo
8. Wonder Red
9. Shulk
10. Dillon
11. Goose
12. Mallo
13. Andy
14. Captain Rainbow

Any other suggestions for the last one?
Jill.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Chibi Robo

Chibi Robo has plenty of things going for him, he has his killer Chibi Blaster, his toothbrush which could "clean" a surface to trip an opponent, his Chibi-Copter for his recovery, and a plug move which would allow Chibi to temporarily raise his stats to maximum. His main playstyle would have to be charging. When the battle starts or when he's KOed, his battery goes dead, leaving him into a slow in overall stats. The key to mastering Chibi Robo is to effectively be patient when it's time to charge. You are able to attack and move a little while plugged in, and the plug does benefit you since it would prevent you from flying across the screen. Use the tooth brush to take ove rthe stage, as you can make up to 4 of these slippery floors. The Chibi-Copter is a slow recovery, and it sacrifices his battery, so don't overuse the move for whatever reason.

The moves are pretty fresh, being able to sweep up floors with small handheld tools in your disposal is pretty diverse from the rest of the cast.

Chibi Robo's abilities have not been done before, using a certain special move to recharge your stats has not been done before.

I think it's very overall could be fun, it would be very enjoyable to play as him using small tools to kill opponents.

Chibi Robo is a tiny robot whom has a much different look from R.O.B., I think he's visual distinct enough.

It does fit the character very well, but his moveset could potentially be expanded to using other small tools to make him even more unique and fresh.

Grade: S

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Chibi could be very unique
A need to charge him every now and then while running about the field
Or you can keep him plugged into a spot and camp
His blaster has a homing quality, and he can carry around large objects no problem.
Go Chibi!

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Chibi Robo

Chibi Robo has plenty of things going for him, he has his killer Chibi Blaster, his toothbrush which could "clean" a surface to trip an opponent, his Chibi-Copter for his recovery, and a plug move which would allow Chibi to temporarily raise his stats to maximum. His main playstyle would have to be charging. When the battle starts or when he's KOed, his battery goes dead, leaving him into a slow in overall stats. The key to mastering Chibi Robo is to effectively be patient when it's time to charge. You are able to attack and move a little while plugged in, and the plug does benefit you since it would prevent you from flying across the screen. Use the tooth brush to take ove rthe stage, as you can make up to 4 of these slippery floors. The Chibi-Copter is a slow recovery, and it sacrifices his battery, so don't overuse the move for whatever reason.

The moves are pretty fresh, being able to sweep up floors with small handheld tools in your disposal is pretty diverse from the rest of the cast.

Chibi Robo's abilities have not been done before, using a certain special move to recharge your stats has not been done before.

I think it's very overall could be fun, it would be very enjoyable to play as him using small tools to kill opponents.

Chibi Robo is a tiny robot whom has a much different look from R.O.B., I think he's visual distinct enough.

It does fit the character very well, but his moveset could potentially be expanded to using other small tools to make him even more unique and fresh.

Grade: S
Yeah this sounds really good. I can see him going up pretty high. Maybe even S tier like you believe.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Wonder Red: A
Wonder Red has some unique abilities, such as Unite Sword, Fist and Gun. And use them for interesting combos. He could have an interesting counter (the jelly mound thing) which counters and reflects. If he's given some sort is mechanic where he gathers other heroes to power-up his attacks and unite abilities he could be pretty unique.

Chibi-Robo: A+
Chibi has some pretty interesting abilities at his disposal. The most interesting is his ability to plug in (there are no outlets in Smash, but we can look passed that). Plugging in allows Chibi to charge, which could do a number of things: 1.) charging could power-up his abilities, making him faster/stronger for a short period of time after charging, 2.) charging could be related to a system of using powerful specials which use "charge." While Plugged in Chibi would have a limited movement an attacks. Being tethered to the cord may allow him to resist some knock back, but he should be able to be unplugged if hit enough or if the plug is attacked. I feel his normal moves would involve cleaning and seemingly accidentally harming opponents (similar to how G&W and Villager play with all of their equipment).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I have the Wonderful 101, but have yet to play it. So I won't rate Wonder Red.
Chibi-Robo: A

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I never really thought about the jelly shield, it could be used for better defense for sure as Wonder's down special move.
Would you guys want the members to attack the opponent for a side-special move or Wonder Spring where they dodge incoming attacks.
Also, Thanks for the grade Rockaphin, it's very appreciated. :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I never really thought about the jelly shield, it could be used for better defense for sure as Wonder's down special move.
Would you guys want the members to attack the opponent for a side-special move or Wonder Spring where they dodge incoming attacks.
Also, Thanks for the grade Rockaphin, it's very appreciated. :)
Can't wait for more ratings! And I apologize about this time. I haven't played much of Chibi Robo and I have yet to play Wonderful 101.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Oh that's fine. ^_^
You don't really have to play the game to really get a good grasp to make a moveset.
You could always research, I think that's the quickest way to learn about the character.

WonderSmash

Smash Apprentice
This is cool, but I don't think he should work like olimar. It hurts his uniqueness and he has high potential. I can see his attacks calling out wonder members, but they don't stack/stay out.

I agree, he should be the only one on the stage and his special attacks should have wonderful ones pop in to form the fist, sword, hammer, whip, etc. etc. from hammer-sack space and dissemble and fade away afterwards

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think the more interesting part of Wonder Red is the ability to use members to upgrade his attacks, so I don't think we need the Wonder Sword or Gun to make him unique, his Wonder Fist is enough.

Alright I think we should end this day now, today we are rating Orange Keet's Soldier Andy and the oh so very debatable Miis! Can Andy prove that his mechanical military tools prove to be fun? And can the Mii truly blow away people with a very unique moveset no one has really thought of. I might do an analysis for the Mii soon, so just you wait. :smirk:
Remember guys, discussion is encouraged! Don't just stare at this post, let's make this conversation interesting!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Mii

Taking the fact that Rosalina actually uses the Galaxy motion sensor reticle, they have alot of creative things to be taken. They have their iconic sports equipment of using the Tennis racket (which stuns the opponent for a short while), the boxing gloves (which multiplies the the Miis punching power by x1.5), the golf club (which can be abused as small and slow balls), the bowling ball (Which can KO opponent, but it is a slow attack), and the baseball bat (which can throw multiple baseballs with decent KO potential). There's also the ability for the Miis to take advantage over the many Wii Menu tools, such as the Wii Menu Hand, you could use the hand to carry the Mii to recovery or even carry the opponents to stop an opponent from using an attack. The Miis have alot of tools to offer in their moveset, their only weakness is that their strength is relatively weak, and not many of the Miis' attacks can hit well. Whatever sports equipment you choose to switch into is your choice, you just have to take advantage of every tool they have in order to gain victory.

Although the sports equipment have been used by Peach, no one in the cast takes a real advantage of using what the menu has to offer.

The concept of using as many diverse tools to your disposal has been done before (Mr. Game & Watch comes to mind for me personally).

3a. If it has been done before, is the character's way of doing it unique on it's own.

The Mii uses everything they have in their disposal to be an unpredictable character.

The Miis could potentially attract an audience if executed correctly, with the many attacks they have, many expert players will have a long while to practice the Miis.

They are generic, oval shaped head people, they are pretty distinct from the Smash cast with the unique faces.

Although the Miis has never taken advantage of the Wii Menu hand, it gives of hilarity to the Miis to fit them very well. The sports equipment is what the Miis are most known for in terms of their best, well known game.

Grade: A+

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The Mii having a move that changes them to one of three sizes can be cool. Also, a special that switches the weapon they are using (paddle, hockey stick, ect.). Bake the customization right into their moves.

Also, drag and drop used to fling your Mii back on stage would be hilarious.

A

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Changing into different sizes? I think that would be pretty unbalanced IMO. What would be the point of resizing, will it be used as an attack, that's fine if that is what you wanted to state.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Down B Size Change: A height chart appears behind the Mii with a vertical bar. The bar can be toggled up and down. Three sizes. Large, Medium, Small. A press of any other button exits the mode.

Basically, this is a stat change. Do you want a light, fast Mii or a balanced Mii or a heavy yet slower Mii? Changing the stats during battle can be helpful.

So you would have the Mii and two clone options of the Mii.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Aah.. that really expands the customization, this would lead to really interesting combinations. O.O
So can we agree on these special moves?
Neutral B: Tennis Racket, Baseball Bat, Bowling Ball, Golf Club, or Boxing Gloves.
Side-B: Sports Equipment Switch.
Down-B: Size Switch.
Up-B: Wii Hand Drag.
I think this really leads to alot of potential, a good kind of potential in my eyes.
Two customizable moves with a very enjoyable Up-B.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom