• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker (Version 11.0 available)

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
I know that someone has made a Roy Icon using the Project M artwork here somewhere but I can't fin it. Does anyone else know where it is?

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Here's some home-made roster icons for you (SFvT Pac-Man coming soon, as is more alternate Robot Masters)

EDIT: 800th post!

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
I know that someone has made a Roy Icon using the Project M artwork here somewhere but I can't fin it. Does anyone else know where it is?
Here's the rest of them.

Super Mario Bros.

Kirby's Dreamland

Star Fox

Pokémon

F-Zero

MOTHER / Earthbound

Fire Emblem

Kid Icarus

WarioWare / Wario Land

Pikmin

Animal Crossing

Wii Fit

Retro Characters

Miscellaneous Characters

Third-Party Franchises

Other

---

But that's not all of them, I got more coming later.
Roy is in the Fire Emblem section.

D

Deleted member

Can someone do icons for that awesome Pixiv member's drawings of Alph, Toad and Overalls Wario?

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
If anyone is doing requests, could you make an icon for Mega Charizard X? I would appreciate it.

Here is the artwork:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Jakor, I have a suggestion for a new program.
The Super Smash Bros. Roster Maker Icon Maker
Maybe with a shorter name,
But it would be an easy way to make icons
Also, in IPad version of the regular roster maker if you know how to do it.

Turek

Smash Cadet
If anyone is doing requests, could you make an icon for Mega Charizard X? I would appreciate it.

Here is the artwork:

Sorry about the awkward label.

<usual disclaimer applies>

A program like that, unfortunately, wouldn't really make it any simpler. I can make a tutorial or something if you're interested, but it would take me a lot less time to write a bit than it would Jakor to write a program.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A toturial would be great! Please make that as soon as possible.
I know this is asking a little much but if you could make it a video that would be even better.

EDIT: also, please note that I have a Mac and absolutely no photoshop skills.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Off the top of my head, the only character icons to add are the full Smash 64 and Melee icons for each character, Pokémon Pokémon, and NPC.
Unfortunately, I don't recommend using old databases with the new version. So much stuff has changed code wise in the way information is stored. But the good news however, is that this should be the last time users need to redo their rosters from scratch when a new version is usually released. Since you won't have to download a new archive for the next version, as it should now be done with the "Check for updates" function in the "?" menu, I've implemented a way to update existing icons and rosters should their information change.
Okay, well thank you for an answer, and thanks for version 7.0!!!!

Turek

Smash Cadet
Yeah, sorry. No video. I would if I knew how. But I don't, you see. My tutorial is for Paint.NET, because I'm utterly confused by GIMP and don't really have any need to buy Photoshop. It should be universal, no platform-specific things as far as I know.

[collapse=Icon Tutorial]
So here's how I make icons.

After I decide to make an icon, I try to find a transparent image that's big enough to allow a 46x snippet of the desired portion. Transparency isn't a necessity, but it makes it way easier. If you can't find a decent transparent file, then you'll have to do the long and tedious process of converting the background.

Go to the full size version of the image you like best / specifically need.

Then simply save it in the folder of your choice.

. . . and then open it up in the image editor of your choice. Paint really doesn't work, because it doesn't support transparency and is quite featureless in general. I myself am rather simple-minded and prefer Paint.NET over GIMP/Photoshop/whatever.

Proceed to select the part of your image that you desire to be in the icon. It's usually easier to fix the selection ratio as 1:1, because it will eventually be resized to 46x46. Play with the selection until it feels right.

. . . and then you crop it, or you can even copy-paste if you don't want to mess with the original image. PDN shortcut for cropping is Ctrl+Shift+X.

. . . and then you're gonna wanna resize it. PDN shortcut for this action is Ctrl+R.

Next comes what is actually a bit of a tricky part, dependent on the situation. PDN does not include an outline function by default, and I'll face it, I'ven't a single clue how to make decent outlines without a tool. I use the one included in BoltBait's Plugin Pack.

(Long link: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/8318-boltbaits-plugin-pack-updated-december-12-2011/)

And if you've done that, you can go into Effects > Object > Outline Object. I typically set it to white, with strength and radius each at two. That's it. Useful plugin(s).

And after that? You go to to the 'utils' folder nestled within the Roster Maker. In there will be a 'TemplateBlue.png' and a 'Template.png'.

For the label on the icon, either make a new name, and center it, or copy from an existing icon if possible.

Open it up.

Go back to your other image, and copy it onto your clipboard. Open a new layer (Ctrl+Shift+N in PDN) on the template and paste. Center it, so it aligns correctly.

Merge the image layers down, so it saves in PNG format. PDN shortcut is Ctrl+M.

Save it (Ctrl+S, or Ctrl+Shift+S for Save As), and you've got an icon. Name it 'IconWhatever' and put it in the folder with the rest of the icons in the Roster Maker. If it's another icon for an existing character, just click 'add character icons'. Make sure you've named it IconMario. A (#) after it is fine, it lets the program know what it is. Otherwise, the character will be added with whatever name comes after the 'Icon'. However, it will have no character info put in. You don't have to fill that stuff out, but it helps with organization.

. . . and voilá! You've got an icon.

(November 16th, 2013) EDIT: It's far overdue, but I just noticed that I neglected to include the final result if anybody wanted the quick example icon for whatever reason.

[/collapse]

So there you have it. I recommend that if you make an icon that you think someone somewhere will need; put it somewhere accessible.

And there. It's not a big deal to make icons once you get into the feel of it.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I would only like an icon with Diddy AND Dixie in combo with the artwork of Tropical Freeze.
The name could be Diddy & Dixie

Jakor

Smash Ace
I'd like to transport the two-three hundred icons I added to the last version to this one. How do I do so without having to do it all one by one?
Is there an easy way to transfer all my custom icons from 6.1 to 7.0?
Well, the easier way to do it would be to do "CTRL + A" to select all of your icons, then cut or copy them to the new folder. You may choose or not to replace existing images with the same name.

Unfortunately, I'm not equipped to make an application for iPad or iPhone.
I also tried to make a tool to create icons easily, but the problem I had mainly was that the resulting images of the icons was in bad quality. I spent a lot of time trying to find an alternate way, but for now I've stopped focusing on that.

A program like that, unfortunately, wouldn't really make it any simpler. I can make a tutorial or something if you're interested, but it would take me a lot less time to write a bit than it would Jakor to write a program.
I posted a link to your tutorial in the second post of the thread.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Might as well put this for now:

APC99'S ROSTER ARCHIVE (totally copying Gibdo Knight)

TORNADO BUS DRIVER

Smash Lord
Hi guys , sorry i was not online for a good bit as i had some stuff in life to deal with . i just want to say that i love this roster maker but i would like to make some roster requests if that's ok?
The requests are:
Pudding ( Space Chanel 5 )
Amiga ( Samba de amigo )
Blaze fielding ( Streets of Rage )
Chuih,ChuBei,ChuPea,ChuBach all under one icon called " ChuChus " ( ChuChu Rocket )
Phantom r ( Rhythm Thief )
Honey the cat/honey from fighting vipers in one icon that says " Honey "
AGES ( Sega )
Kid Akira ( Vurtua fighter kids )
miku hatsune ( project diva )
sakura and ogami from sakara wars in one icon
bahn ( Fighting Vipers )
I know its a lot but i need it for a thingy i'm doing , i'd like them soon but please take as much time as you need :)
Just a reminder .. along with these can some one do the 11th doctor , and john and rose from homestuck ?

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Would it be bad if I make a seperate thread where people can ask me for icons?
I'm going to start making some next weekend.

Top Bottom