• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Wait, has it been explicitly stated that Ridley was not put in for design reasons?
What has design ever had to do with anyone in a Smash game (aside from Villager and Miis from Brawl)? We can have the dark lord choke-holding a one foot tall mouse, but we can't have a dragon? Where's the sense in that?

Last edited:

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Bowser, it is curious that they made him less savage and monstrous this time around...
Well, Bowser is from a more kid friendly series, he is not meant to be a Ganondorf or Ridley. He even hangs out with the people he tries to beat and plays minigames and sports. Ive always thought that Giga Bowser was way too savage and scary for his character.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
I think that size is too small, Nietona. Ridley should tower over Samus.
And Ridley is the exception, Nietona. Little Mac and Villager were kept away for mental or personality reasons, posters,
not design reasons, like Ridley. Please stop stating things with such unwarranted certainty, Nietona.
Now, I think Ridley could fit in that Hyrule Temple route. Please forgive me for that, everyone. I thought it was smaller. And to everyone: please learn to express yourselves without being mean. It's
slighty funny how things cannot be stated without relying on labeling people. I suppose no one will try to change, though.
But, @SolidZeroVII, thank you for explaining there is a larger team. This certainly helps. That is probably the strongest factor for Ridley's inclusion.
Remember, everyone: I want Ridley too.
I'm stating things with certainty because they're warranted to be stated with certainty. Though I suppose whether that image is a good size or not is subjective, you're aware that Ridley does tower over Samus there, right? Imagine seeing Ridley there through Samus' visor. He'd only look slightly smaller than his Other M counterpart, where he doesn't really tower over Samus at all. Also, he didn't tower over Samus in Super. The only times he's really towered over Samus immensely are during the Prime 3 generator fall, and in SSBB. Even in Prime, he's not that much bigger than Samus (although he's about the same size as Omega Ridley, which is larger than Super but smaller than Prime 3 generator/SSBB) because he's hunched over, as he would be here. Hell, the fact that he's already been resized in Smash Bros. should be enough, what with Melee's opening and all.

It's all good, though, regarding Hyrule Temple.

Also, as for Little Mac, he wasn't really kept away for mental or personality reasons because he was an AT, which meant he was on the field of battle anyway, and as it's been pointed out, it's not fact that Ridley wasn't kept in because of design reasons.

I understand that you support Ridley, but seriously, size is not and never will be a factor against him. The biggest factor against him is whether Sakurai thinks Metroid deserves/needs another rep or not.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Well, Bowser is from a more kid friendly series, he is not meant to be a Ganondorf or Ridley. He even hangs out with the people he tries to beat and plays minigames and sports. Ive always thought that Giga Bowser was way too savage for his character.
No, I meant that Bowser was a savage, Kaiju mofo in the past Smash games, so why change it now?

Next you'll be telling me that Falcondorf is deconfirmed.

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Well, Bowser is from a more kid friendly series, he is not meant to be a Ganondorf or Ridley. He even hangs out with the people he tries to beat and plays minigames and sports. Ive always thought that Giga Bowser was way too savage and scary for his character.
It's still a teen rated game, as opposed to the general everyone rated games that mario is usually from. It's more correct to make Bowser stand upright, but I don't understand why he has to be less savage. I do like the new Bowser look, though.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai had no problems with design, otherwise he would have stated that instead of saying something about his speed, correct?
And even then, he didn't say there was a problem with his speed, just that Ridley would be on the slow side.
As in, Sakurai was already thinking in terms of balancing when discussing him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And even then, he didn't say there was a problem with his speed, just that Ridley would be on the slow side.
As in, Sakurai was already thinking in terms of balancing when discussing him.
Exactly, meaning that Sakurai knew the outcry for Ridley then and might have put him on the roster of newcomer choices on the get go when he started working on the potential roster!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I still think Ridley's in-game size in Other M is pretty good for Smash, although he could be made slightly smaller for this game. Heck, you could even make a moveset for him by watching this video alone. Skip to 5:20, so you know what size I'm talking about.

BrigadeStuart

Smash Journeyman
I want to say something about the detractors, have they ever said something that we couldn't counter? Also, I saw someone who tild me that just because he hasn't been named, doesn't mean he isn't disconfirmed
the only thing i found that could maybe sorta somewhat not be countered was the reason for bowsers size changing. and they said it was because kamek changes his size. but from reading alot of pages back, there were games that bowser is huge and kamek never changed his size (i believe mario galaxy 1 and 2 were some of the examples of that) so in this case. they never said something that we couldnt counter

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, everyone, for slightly teaming against me. It is exciting! Anyway, I mean Mr. Sakurai did not create Little Mac or Villager as playable characters because one could only punch, and another did not seem appropriate for a fighting game, which are personality reasons, unlike Ridley, who was not implemented due to technical reasons. There are many statements for me to discuss, but I do not know where to start!

D

Deleted member

Would still probably have to be resized a little from the Other M size.
The same degree as Ganondorf had to be resized should be good from what I can tell off the top of my head.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Thanks, everyone, for slightly teaming against me. It is exciting! Anyway, I mean Mr. Sakurai did not create Little Mac or Villager as playable characters because one could only punch, and another did not seem appropriate for a fighting game, which are personality reasons, unlike Ridley, who was not implemented due to technical reasons. There are many statements for me to discuss, but I do not know where to start!
Little Mac was unknown in Japan, that's probably why he easn't in Brawl, because Sakurai was biased for Japanese gamers, disregarding everyone else

D

Deleted member

He never said anything about Little Mac being excluded in the past for only being able to punch. (Which would be a technical reason, not a personality reason; being only able to punch implies a limited range of abilities which in turn implies a limited range of a moveset.)

Nor did he say anything about excluding Ridley for any technical reasons.

The only one of these three where he actually said something about limitations was Villager.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Team? Cooperation is garbage. CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap.

Little Mac has only been stated to be difficult to make a moveset for recently, as in pre-SSB4 era, if I remember correctly; they added him anyway. Villager is one that I saw your point for so stopped talking about, and Ridley wasn't not implemented due to technical reasons. He was probably to SSBB what Chrom was to SSB4; looked over, but skipped and added in a different form.

Not that he'd be too similar to any other characters, or anything. Just that he probably was considered but scrapped quickly, unlike SSB4 where the outcry for him is louder so he'd have had to be considered more prominently.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Team? Cooperation is garbage. CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap.

Little Mac has only been stated to be difficult to make a moveset for recently, as in pre-SSB4 era, if I remember correctly; they added him anyway. Villager is one that I saw your point for so stopped talking about, and Ridley wasn't not implemented due to technical reasons. He was probably to SSBB what Chrom was to SSB4; looked over, but skipped and added in a different form.

Not that he'd be too similar to any other characters, or anything. Just that he probably was considered but scrapped quickly, unlike SSB4 where the outcry for him is louder so he'd have had to be considered more prominently.
Actually, Ridley's data can be found as an Assist Trophy, so I must tell call this out. I also heard that Dyna Blade was originally going to be a boss, but wasn't that well known, so they chose Ridley and scrapped his Assist Trophy stuff

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@GoldenYuiitusin But I remember reading that Mr. Sakurai would have implemented Little Mac, but didn't, because he did not want to make a moveset based solely on punching, or something like that. Maybe Mr. Sakurai said that for Melee, but I read it somewhere. I state "technical reasons" fr Ridley because Mr. Sakurai stated, word-for-word, I believe, that Ridley was "basically impossible." After that line, he stated Ridley would have to be on the slow side, or something like that. So why did Mr. Sakurai state Ridley was "basically impossibble?"
@ Nietona Nietona certainly, Ridley's fan support is strongest for this game. I thought Mr. Sakurai mentioned Little Mac's limitation, then created him as an AT for SSBB, then created him as playable. I suppose this is the incorrect order? I think we should discuss each thing slowly, or one at a time. This is too much!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
@GoldenYuiitusin But I remember reading that Mr. Sakurai would have implemented Little Mac, but didn't, because he did not want to make a moveset based solely on punching, or something like that. Maybe Mr. Sakurai said that for Melee, but I read it somewhere. I state "technical reasons" fr Ridley because Mr. Sakurai stated, word-for-word, I believe, that Ridley was "basically impossible." After that line, he stated Ridley would have to be on the slow side, or something like that. So why did Mr. Sakurai state Ridley was "basically impossibble?"
@ Nietona Nietona certainly, Ridley's fan support is strongest for this game. I thought Mr. Sakurai mentioned Little Mac's limitation, then created him as an AT for SSBB, then created him as playable. I suppose this is the incorrect order? I think we should discuss each thing slowly, or one at a time. This is too much!
because Sakurai didn't know how to balance Ridley properly. Also, I think you mixed up Little Mac with the Excitebike guy, Sakurai couldn't get a way for him to jump properly, so he got scrapped

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Ridley's data can be found as an Assist Trophy, so I must tell call this out. I also heard that Dyna Blade was originally going to be a boss, but wasn't that well known, so they chose Ridley and scrapped his Assist Trophy stuff
An inverse matrix? You zetta fractal! Gimme a source! (Please~)

One at a time? I dig, radian. It's possible that Little Mac had those reasons stated before SSBB, it rings a bell. Time to do some research.

Edit: Found what you were on about. Wikipedia ain't considered credible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be for this.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mac_(Punch-Out!!)

"IGN's Lucas M. Thomas and Matt Casamassina expressed disappointment that Little Mac was not playable in Brawl, and suggested that perhaps series creator Masahiro Sakurai couldn't think of a good set of moves for Mac."

This was all I could find, so it's possible you may have been thinking of this.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ H Hexaped
Sakurai never said that.
Closest thing is when Urban Champion was disqualified from being the "NES Ambassador" character in Melee because there was very little that could be done with him as a character.

As for Sakurai's statement on the Nintendo Power interview, context helps.
The question asked was whether or not the rumor about Ridley being playable at some point in development was true.
Sakurai responded that it would have been "pretty impossible". As in, Ridley was never designed to be playable and the rumor is false.
He later said that if he tried to make him playable, he could've probably done so, but he'd be on the slow side.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
An inverse matrix? You zetta fractal! Gimme a source! (Please~)

One at a time? I dig, radian. It's possible that Little Mac had those reasons stated before SSBB, it rings a bell. Time to do some research.

Edit: Found what you were on about. Wikipedia ain't considered credible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be for this.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Mac_(Punch-Out!!)

"IGN's Lucas M. Thomas and Matt Casamassina expressed disappointment that Little Mac was not playable in Brawl, and suggested that perhaps series creator Masahiro Sakurai couldn't think of a good set of moves for Mac."

This was all I could find, so it's possible you may have been thinking of this.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBO8M-O_dTPFwkvffZ5traksWUBbU47q9 In one of these videos it is explained, it was the quickest way to show

BlueBubbee

Smash Lord
NNID
bluebubbee
3DS FC
3437-3131-3325
Incoming Rant Against Detractor Points

Ridley doesn't even need to be resized, but if you think he does, keep this in mind. It wasn't just Kamek that makes Bowser huge, it was a mixture of things. (Don't worry, I'll counter it at the end, this is how I always write posts iyhn). So, his size has been altered in a lot of points the detractors say we bring up. The bad examples (and the ones they use against us) are:

- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Grand Star)
- Yoshi's Island (Kamek's Magic)
- Super Mario 64 (and SM64DS by association) (Giant Star [presumably])
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Kamek's Magic)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Kamek's Magic)
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Kamek's Magic)
- Yoshi's Island DS (Kamek's Magic)
- Yoshi's New Island (Kamek's Magic)
- Bowser's Inside Story (Pain Induced Growth)
- Dream Team (Technically not the Bowser)
- Super Mario Sunshine (Unknown, but shrinks afterwards)

Bowser is not a good thing to reference on Ridley's size, no matter what side you're on. Riddlies, don't use the above points. Detractors, read this quote from Super Mario Wiki.

Super Mario Wiki said:
Size
Like his speed, Bowser's size changes between games, and often varies between or during battles in single titles. In Super Princess Peach,Super Mario Galaxy 2, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, and various Mario Party titles, Bowser uses an assortment of magical artifacts and items to turn himself temporarily giant for his final showdowns with Mario, and starts out giant in Super Mario Sunshine, shrinking back down to regular proportions after his defeat. Kamek and the Koopalings use spells to turn Bowser gigantic in New Super Mario Bros. Wii and New Super Mario Bros. 2, respectively, and Kamek also makes Baby Bowser giant in Yoshi's Island. In Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, Mario and Luigi can make Bowser temporarily giant by supercharging him with adrenaline; Bowser X and Dark Bowser can become giant for a short while as well. Other games also show him to have modest increases in size from one boss battle to another, such as New Super Mario Bros. and Paper Mario. In the playable Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door intermissions, eating Meat gradually increases Bowser's size, and like the other characters, Bowser can grow with the aid of Super Mushrooms in the Super Smash Bros. games. There are also Super Smash Bros. Events that feature Bowser as being larger than normal, and while his "normal" size varies from game to game, usually he's about twice Mario's height, or a head taller than Peach, and is always much bulkier than the other characters.

Don't even tell me this was off topic, as all of this is used to support Ridley's resizing. Bowser still gets resized in Smash, just look at his regular forms in the New Super Mario Bros. games, Galaxy games, and RPG series. Thank you for reading this rant.

Do you have any idea how long this took me to type out...

Last edited:

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen I read it somewhere, please believe me.
@GoldenYuiitusin May I call you ExpensiveEntei? Anyway, maybe the word "impossible" there meant difficult, since Sakurai explained he and his team may have been able to implement Ridley if they worked dilligently. The way Mr. Sakurai discussed Ridley like that seems different from the way he explains other characters.
Maybe I did confuse the Urban Champion with Little Mac. But I do not think so, because I remember noticing that Little Mac and Villager are the two characters Mr. Sakurai specifically denied, but then they both appear as playable.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
No, I meant that Bowser was a savage, Kaiju mofo in the past Smash games, so why change it now?

Next you'll be telling me that Falcondorf is deconfirmed.
I mean they decided to make Bowser more in line with his portrayal in the Mario games at last.
It's still a teen rated game, as opposed to the general everyone rated games that mario is usually from. It's more correct to make Bowser stand upright, but I don't understand why he has to be less savage. I do like the new Bowser look, though.
Smash may be T, but the Mario cast is not, and Nintendo takes their portrayal very seriously (They made the people behind the Wrecking Ralph movie fix the way Bowser was holding a plastic cup). It took three games for Sakurai to fix the way Yoshi stood after all.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
What I think happened at the direct with Ridley's shadow:

Pikachu walked into the camera. Walked out. Ridley dashed in (flying, just like peach's hover). After he came close to pikachu he did a dash grab with his feet. It's the same move he did in his boss-fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfVRiYh96M

00:16 and 00:24 for example.

Here's an image of him holding Pikachu:

You can see he dashed in and grabbed pikachu because after he grabbed him he bounced back like when someone's getting recoil.

You can also see pikachu's struggling to get free.

Watch closely yourself:
http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?frameNum=201

After Pikachu is released, Ridley gave chase.

I think this is a special move for Ridley. Where he grabs someone and it continuesly does damage untill the opponent breaks free. The grab will be longer the higher the opponent's percentage is. Just like in super metroid. Ridley does this in Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission as well (this time with his hands). Where you receive damage (because he is holding you) untill you break free. Yakuza had a similar move except he slammed you on the ground.

Makes perfect sense for a special attack and is in my opinion very very very awesome.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isPfYp6NM8A&t=2m46s

There we are. An unused effect titled "Effect/Ridley" in the game's coding file labeled "Assist", huh? That's even better. If he was "too big" like that, he'd never even have been planned to be an Assist Trophy in the first place. That is, if that WAS him being considered for AT status. I don't see why it'd be anything else.

NatP

Smash Ace
I think this is a special move for Ridley. Where he grabs someone and it continuesly does damage untill the opponent breaks free. The grab will be longer the higher the opponent's percentage is. Just like in super metroid. Ridley does this in Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission as well (this time with his hands). Where you receive damage (because he is holding) you untill you break free. Yakuza had a similar move except he slammed you on the ground.
OMG, this actually makes a ton of sense! I really want this now! Sakurai pls

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isPfYp6NM8A&t=2m46s

There we are. An unused effect titled "Effect/Ridley" in the game's coding file labeled "Assist", huh? That's even better. If he was "too big" like that, he'd never even have been planned to be an Assist Trophy in the first place. That is, if that WAS him being considered for AT status. I don't see why it'd be anything else.
Huzzah! I pointed 2 things out here! This, even though it is almost everywhere on the net, and the fact K.Rool is smaller than Ridley! Something I found out on my own and told people here

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
What I think happened at the direct with Ridley's shadow:

Pikachu walked into the camera. Walked out. Ridley dashed in (flying, just like peach's hover). After he came close to pikachu he did a dash grab with his feet. It's the same move he did in his boss-fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVfVRiYh96M

00:16 and 00:24 for example.

Here's an image of him holding Pikachu:

You can see he dashed in and grabbed pikachu because after he grabbed him he bounced back like when someone's getting recoil.

You can also see pikachu's struggling to get free.

Watch closely yourself:
http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?frameNum=201

After Pikachu is released, Ridley gave chase.

I think this is a special move for Ridley. Where he grabs someone and it continuesly does damage untill the opponent breaks free. The grab will be longer the higher the opponent's percentage is. Just like in super metroid. Ridley does this in Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission as well (this time with his hands). Where you receive damage (because he is holding) you untill you break free. Yakuza had a similar move except he slammed you on the ground.

Makes perfect sense for a special attack and is in my opinion very very very awesome.
But he can't grab Pikachu with his feet!

They are not grabby enough I told you this already :crazy:
It's almost as if they spliced Ridley with human DNA to create Roidley.

D

Deleted member

@ H Hexaped
ExpensiveEntei? First I've heard a nickname like that. I guess if you want to, but if you're just looking for an easier name to call me, you can just call me Golden.

From what Sakurai said about Ridley, I get the vibe that Sakurai didn't even think about Ridley being playable and it wasn't until that interview that the idea came to him. Not that he considered Ridley before, but deemed him too difficult to make work and sheepishly claimed that it could have been done with more effort given.
When Sakurai was deciding the roster for Brawl, Ridley wasn't that big (no pun intended) of a character in regards to Smash.
With that in mind, I find it easy to believe that Sakurai didn't consider the concept of Ridley being playable.

As for Little Mac, again, Sakurai never denied Little Mac or if he did, he didn't make it public like he did Villager.
He denied Miis and Pac-Man and made them public, but he has not said anything about denying Little Mac in the past.
He has only said that making a diverse moveset for Little Mac was difficult, but he managed to be a fresh character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

seeing as how Sakurai adds additional touches on the models, it isn't out of the questions that he will redesign Roidley slightly. Didn't someone point out the shadow had Concept Artley's wings instead of Roidley's wings?

Exegguter

Smash Lord

Smash is not cannon. Plus he's squeezing him with his feet together. You can use your elbows and hold a cup if you want to as long as you squeeze good enough to hold it.

I can clearly see pikachu between his feet watch the clip yourself.

Edit: PLUS, what the @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said. Eventhough Ridley's design will be the Other M one. He still will be representing Ridley from Metroid. And one of Ridley's signature moves is grabbing you, doing continuesly damage untill you break free. So Sakurai will work something out.

Last edited:

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
It's a good point. It's possible that his model may be redesigned to have his traditional claw-feet. Other M Ridley is definitely a base, but in light of new models, the Roidley feet could be irrelevant to his Smash appearance.

ddd87

Smash Journeyman
I want to say something about the detractors, have they ever said something that we couldn't counter? Also, I saw someone who tild me that just because he hasn't been named, doesn't mean he isn't disconfirmed
Sakurai will do what he wants, even if he has to break the "rules" that the reveals apparently have. So it is a valid point in that sense. I can only recall one instance when he didnt mention an NPC by name, and that was Xerneas, but Im pretty sure most realised it wouldnt be a playable character.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Alright, let's do this then. You can quote me on this: I don't think Ridley is going to be in the next trailer, but instead he'll be on trailer after this next one.
You're on man! May the best educated guess win!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Smash is not cannon. Plus he's squeezing him with his feet together. You can use your elbows and hold a cup if you want to as long as you squeeze good enough to hold it.

I can clearly see pikachu between his feet watch the clip yourself.

Edit: PLUS, what the @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said. Eventhough Ridley's design will be the Other M one. He still will be representing Ridley from Metroid. And one of Ridley's signature moves is grabbing you, doing continuesly damage untill you break free. So Sakurai will work something out.
Huh. Guess you're right about those feet.
What does bug me here is how the apparently Pikachu shaped shadow mass is...well...visible. Because Pikachu doesn't have a shadow anywhere else. What I saw in the gif was Roidley lurching forward to brake, and the shadows of his feet joined together. I still could be wrong on this, but it's really hard to make out anything because it's a shadow, and the bloody wings keep on getting in the way.

seeing as how Sakurai adds additional touches on the models, it isn't out of the questions that he will redesign Roidley slightly. Didn't someone point out the shadow had Concept Artley's wings instead of Roidley's wings?
Huh. Not really sure about this. They do seem a bit wider.

Last edited:
Top Bottom