• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Maybe you should actually play the games; the character doesn't need to be on-screen to directly influence the plot.
I'm just saying he doesn't do much in the first place even the things he does do I don't think have as much of an impact of some of the things ridley does but that's just my opinion

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I remember when I was a giant turtle with a turtle army and I spent all of my time being thwarted by middle-aged plumbers. Bowser sure is easy to identify with. I also remember that time I died and I was constantly revived by my depthless wrath and fury toward two particular people. So easy to identify to!
Oh, do you remember that one time you fell into lava and had your skin melt, then later become revived as a skelotonized zombie?

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh, do you remember that one time you fell into lava and had your skin melt, then later become revived as a skelotonized zombie?
Let's all talk about that time I went to a tropical island and threatened monkeys for their food and kidnapped them to hide them on my boat while I was a crocodile. Or the time I was an obese cash-hoarding plumber sitting on a massive trove of fortune.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
He's referred to as a cunning *******, who has a very high level of intelligence, enough to lead him to build a robotic replica of himself in Zero Mission. He's also merciless and relentless to those who oppose him, and in the manga, he's seen as an incredibly terse jack***, constantly reminding Samus in a snarky way about how he killed her parents and even goes to say that he might even eaten her mother. Also, he's really pissed of at her both kicking his *** multiple times, which shows just how stubborn and vengeful he is.

Sure, his personality isn't exactly the best role model ever, but it's there. There are other monsters in Metroid that fit the "big mean monster" quota, but Ridley far exceeds that because he's canonically a very intelligent being, as well as a gigantic jerk.
Yeah, a ton of Metroid monsters are a bunch of mindless, slobbering monsters. The only other ones that can be call true rivals rather than mindless reoccurring bosses are the likes of Mother Brain (Who's nonmobile and too big, also an Assist Trophy) Dark Samus (Name too similar to Samus, is an Assist Trophy) and the SA-X (As Samus and ZSSamus are now two separate characters, I choose to believe the X are secretly representing Fusion)

Ridley's not only responsible for turning Samus into Batman, but he's fully mobile without being some evil clone, which is good enough reason to put him on the roster.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, a ton of Metroid monsters are a bunch of mindless, slobbering monsters. The only other ones that can be call true rivals rather than mindless reoccurring bosses are the likes of Mother Brain (Who's nonmobile and too big, also an Assist Trophy) Dark Samus (Name too similar to Samus, is an Assist Trophy) and the SA-X (As Samus and ZSSamus are now two separate characters, I choose to believe the X are secretly representing Fusion)

Ridley's not only responsible for turning Samus into Batman, but he's fully mobile without being some evil clone, which is good enough reason to put him on the roster.
To be fair, Mother Brain was manufactured to be a super computer of sorts so that's not the best example. The Metroid Prime, SA-X, and Ridley are all pretty intelligent aliens though, all things considered. Ridley just kind of has an edge up by being sentient and a military leader who makes robots of himself and all that.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Metroid_Prime_3_Trilogy_Version_Walk-Through_Part_.gif

One of his failures that traumatized him forever...

Oh yeah, and HE'S STILL FALLIN'

:) I was bored...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
C: Now I want to HUG SO HARD this cute little Ridley plushie...

40565298_big_p0.jpg

Who's the most AWESOME and ADORABLE plushie ever? Oh yes, he is! :3

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
To be fair, Mother Brain was manufactured to be a super computer of sorts so that's not the best example. The Metroid Prime, SA-X, and Ridley are all pretty intelligent aliens though, all things considered. Ridley just kind of has an edge up by being sentient and a military leader who makes robots of himself and all that.
I'Unno, Mama Brain's a great parallel and rival to Samus, in my opinion. Both were "created" by the Chozo to protect the galaxy, and Mother Brain played a significant role in raising and training Samus.

I'm pretty confident the one thing that kept her from being playable/represented was her being a giant brain/Brainzilla, covering the "Too Big" argument and "Mobility" argument in one fell swoop.

But this is Ridley we're talking about, and his chances are exponentially greater than that other major Metroid antagonist on account of actually owning arms and legs on a regular basis!

majora_787

Smash Hero
\
I'Unno, Mama Brain's a great parallel and rival to Samus, in my opinion. Both were "created" by the Chozo to protect the galaxy, and Mother Brain played a significant role in raising and training Samus.

I'm pretty confident the one thing that kept her from being playable/represented was her being a giant brain/Brainzilla, covering the "Too Big" argument and "Mobility" argument in one fell swoop.

But this is Ridley we're talking about, and his chances are exponentially greater than that other major Metroid antagonist on account of actually owning arms and legs on a regular basis!
I meant more that it wasn't a good comparison because Mother Brain isn't some coincidentally intelligent alien life form, it was constructed to actually be intelligent unlike Ridley or Saxophone or the Metroid Prime.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Stop watching this thread for a couple of days and the whole thing turns in to a massacre....

I f**king LOVE this thread!

JinSiege

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I think I may have noticed something in the gif (http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?speed=0.5). Could be nothing, but I think it's worth considering.

When Ridley comes in from the right for the first time, I've heard people say that he could be dropping off of a platform, or just coming in at a jumping angle. Well with that in mind, I noticed that as he gets close to Pikachu, he does a brief lunging/clutching attack animation (like the z grab animation) from the air, and before hitting the ground, that grabs Pikachu. Now it's entirely plausible that Ridley would be capable of air grabs given that it is a very characteristic thing for him to do as is seen in most games he's in. Knowing this, it looks like while Ridley has a character in his clutches, he defaults to a neutral flying animation while close to the ground i.e. He cannot land while he is holding another character that was grabbed when he was in the air because he is holding them. So it appears he is flying for a longer than usual period of time, when in fact he is just holding onto pikachu for as long as possible to maintain the neutral flying animation. When pikachu breaks free, it looks as if Ridley changes to a sort of split second free-fall animation, and then jumps up and away again right at the end before the screen fades to continue the illusion of prolonged flight.

I really hope I typed this in an easy enough way to understand lol. Basically what I'm trying to say is that while Ridley is holding pikachu, he's already on the ground (not using any jumps), but cannot go into a normal standing animation because he's holding pikachu. After pikachu breaks free, whoever is controlling Ridley has to quickly jump up and out of there before hitting the ground so it looks like Ridley was flying for a long time.

Malle

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I think I may have noticed something in the gif (http://gfycat.com/ComfortableIncompatibleAzurewingedmagpie#?speed=0.5). Could be nothing, but I think it's worth considering.

When Ridley comes in from the right for the first time, I've heard people say that he could be dropping off of a platform, or just coming in at a jumping angle. Well with that in mind, I noticed that as he gets close to Pikachu, he does a brief lunging/clutching attack animation (like the z grab animation) from the air, and before hitting the ground, that grabs Pikachu. Now it's entirely plausible that Ridley would be capable of air grabs given that it is a very characteristic thing for him to do as is seen in most games he's in. Knowing this, it looks like while Ridley has a character in his clutches, he defaults to a neutral flying animation while close to the ground i.e. He cannot land while he is holding another character that was grabbed when he was in the air because he is holding them. So it appears he is flying for a longer than usual period of time, when in fact he is just holding onto pikachu for as long as possible to maintain the neutral flying animation. When pikachu breaks free, it looks as if Ridley changes to a sort of split second free-fall animation, and then jumps up and away again right at the end before the screen fades to continue the illusion of prolonged flight.

I really hope I typed this in an easy enough way to understand lol. Basically what I'm trying to say is that while Ridley is holding pikachu, he's already on the ground (not using any jumps), but cannot go into a normal standing animation because he's holding pikachu. After pikachu breaks free, whoever is controlling Ridley has to quickly jump up and out of there before hitting the ground so it looks like Ridley was flying for a long time.
Yes.. YES, to make the grab possible in the air, it must be extended for as long as it is being grabbed. That could be the reason to why he is kept up in the air for so long :O

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One thing, if gliding is cut what does that mean for Ridley? More jumps?

JinSiege

Smash Rookie
One thing, if gliding is cut what does that mean for Ridley? More jumps?
Not quite sure that gliding is cut completely for everone as there is a screenshot I saw before showing Charizard that looks to be in the gliding pose. I'm sure someone could point it out.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I can't imagine Meta Knight not at least having his Shuttle Loop gliding. Charizard could also still have it, or infinite jumps for his FS.

Either way it could be an "exclusive" trait/ability now, much like Peach's floating. Like everything else we gotta wait and see.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have been very busy lately. So I have had little time for Smash Bros. related things.

In regards to the stage hazard hints about Ridley. Do you think Sakurai will finally reveal the truth during these last three weeks leading up into E3, or will we finally find out during E3 (in which the Pyrosphere will likely be a part of the playable demo).

One thing is certain though, if Ridley is shown as a stage hazard, there is a good chance that Sakurai will be addressed about it at the 1.5 hour round table on June 10th.

Personally, (I know the people who are regulars in this topic vehemently disagree), I think Sakurai keeping Stage Hazardley hidden for so long was a bad move. I also think most of the Smash Bros. fanbase, believing Sakurai to be infallible, will regard Sakurai's decision to make Ridley a stage hazard as the right one, and will make Ridley's prospects for Smash 5 extremely daunting going forward.

I already have a plan on how we can have a playable Ridley in Smash Bros., but I don't think the rest of the Ridley fanbase is ready to hear it just yet (still grasping on to hope that Sakurai is trolling us).

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I have been very busy lately. So I have had little time for Smash Bros. related things.

In regards to the stage hazard hints about Ridley. Do you think Sakurai will finally reveal the truth during these last three weeks leading up into E3, or will we finally find out during E3 (in which the Pyrosphere will likely be a part of the playable demo).

One thing is certain though, if Ridley is shown as a stage hazard, there is a good chance that Sakurai will be addressed about it at the 1.5 hour round table on June 10th.

Personally, (I know the people who are regulars in this topic vehemently disagree), I think Sakurai keeping Stage Hazardley hidden for so long was a bad move. I also think most of the Smash Bros. fanbase, believing Sakurai to be infallible, will regard Sakurai's decision to make Ridley a stage hazard as the right one, and will make Ridley's prospects for Smash 5 extremely daunting going forward.

I already have a plan on how we can have a playable Ridley in Smash Bros., but I don't think the rest of the Ridley fanbase is ready to hear it just yet (still grasping on to hope that Sakurai is trolling us).
-I definitely expect Ridley's fate being revealed at E3, Sakurai is teasing his role way too much to end up being revealed in a random pic of the day, boss or not.

-There is already a good part of the Anti Ridley fanbase saying that Ridley should stay a boss in SSB4 because he was one in Brawl so even if Boss Ridley end up barely taller than the playable characters I do see the "Ridley is better represented as a boss" argument taking the place of the "Ridley is too big" argument for the next smash speculation =/

Because sadly yes, the smash fanbase have the bad habit to accept every decision that Sakurai take as the best one with the only notable exception being random tripping and Mewtwo being cut (and then again, I already see some people say that Mewtwo not being back in SSB4 is for the best).

-Anyway I hope that your way to make Ridley playable isn't in a smash boss mode or as a playable hazard
thanks to the Wii U gamepad, because it already have been discussed and as far as I'm concerned it only seems like a poor excuse to say that Ridley is playable without making him an actual full playable character and Ridley deserves better than being a part of a stupid gimmick on the Wii U version of smash.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

It's Project M, isn't it?

In the event that Ridley is disconfirmed for Smash 4, I do think he'll be one of the most likely additions to Project M, especially considering how the PMBR has acknowledged Ridley and his popularity.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
It's only been stated that gliding has been cut from Pit's repertoire, we don't know if it's gone completely.
I think this proves its back. Charizards glide landing animation. I don't remember what Charizards knocked down pose looks like though but im sure he doesn't lay there happily after getting beat down.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
We will have another 3 weeks of daily pics before E3. If Ridley isn't mentioned during that period, I'm going to assume we will learn his fate at E3.
I can't imagine Ridley being disconfirmed at E3 though. It seems weird to disconfirm one of the most wanted characters at such a big event, especially after 9 months of teasing.

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
We will have another 3 weeks of daily pics before E3. If Ridley isn't mentioned during that period, I'm going to assume we will learn his fate at E3.
I can't imagine Ridley being disconfirmed at E3 though. It seems weird to disconfirm one of the most wanted characters at such a big event, especially after 9 months of teasing.
Sakurai went through the trouble of hiding Ridley so showing him in the pic of the day doesn't make sense. Whatever is behind that shadow Sakurai wants us to be excited for it.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think this proves its back. Charizards glide landing animation. I don't remember what Charizards knocked down pose looks like though but im sure he doesn't lay there happily after getting beat down.

Well to help out

If thats charizard glide land animation, why don't you take a picture of brawl charizard landing and see if it matches.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, from what I can tell using BrawlBox, and Brawl, it's one of his "down" animations. It's not specific to landing from gliding.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 245254

I remember when I was a giant turtle with a turtle army and I spent all of my time being thwarted by middle-aged plumbers. Bowser sure is easy to identify with. I also remember that time I died and I was constantly revived by my depthless wrath and fury toward two particular people. So easy to identify to!

Seriously. Please come in here with something legitimate. It'd be appreciated.

Pro tip. A character's personality doesn't have to be relatable to be likeable. Most people find Ridley's intelligent calculating take on the feral warlord trope pretty enjoyable as a personality, much moreso than the punching bag villain with his wacky failure antics.
First, let's just re-clarify that Ridley is only truly discernibly intelligent and insightful as a character for folks who went out of their way to read the manga. In almost every single digital and game representation of the character, he's depicted as pretty much just a re-occurring, yet fearsome-looking monster. I see the point you're trying to make by applying absurdity to every villain already on the roster, but...

Just how much do you expect from the average modern day Nintendo gamer?

I'm not saying Smash is new to promoting obscurity, but each of the characters are relate-able within their franchise as a gaming character. You don't have to read a Mario manga to get his comedic family-friendly vibes. You don't need to Google the Zelda wiki to truly understand how sinister and divisive Ganondorf is. You just play the games. Game & Watch and Rob for example, don't really have personalities, they are just in because they were/are "retro". I guess that's an argument for Ridley though, but that draws me all the way back to the other less-traveled part of my original point...that there just wasn't really much implication in that direct that Ridley would be playable where so many people are thinking there was. It's not his relate-ability. Obviously most villains aren't relate-able, unless you're a crazy, but there's just nothing insightful about Ridley that can be easily discerned from the games like the other characters.

Sakurai has made it clear that he's aware of the effect his words and actions have on people who follow the game. The way I see it, Sakurai appears to be intentionally leaving hope for Ridley supporters that he'll make it. And why would he do that? Just to act like a schoolyard bully and encourage everyone to point and laugh at the Ridley fans when he's finally revealed as non-playable?
Except that's just the way it appears to you. Obviously it doesn't appear that way to me...and I'm not about to go and assume I have any idea what Sakurai is thinking...I would recommend you practice the same caution before you disappoint yourself...

Again, this has nothing to do with what I believe Ridley deserves. I have no opinion on whether I want him to be in or not, I honestly don't care if he gets in or if he doesn't, I'm just explaining, from my point of view, I believe the evidence being examined in this thread just isn't strong, and why (obviously from an outside-in perspective) why Ridley seems like he is somewhat of a mis-fit compared to the viability of the other villains (or characters in general).

I certainly am not putting it past Sakurai to stick him in...I just don't think it will happen, personally.

It's Project M, isn't it?

In the event that Ridley is disconfirmed for Smash 4, I do think he'll be one of the most likely additions to Project M, especially considering how the PMBR has acknowledged Ridley and his popularity.
This is extremely unlikely, as Project M developers have outright said that they are strictly against any and all forms of competing with the main smash series, which to them meant avoiding at all costs a roster with characters that the main series had yet to utilize (like, this was a specific mention).

If the main franchise doesn't use Ridley, Project M definitely won't.

Last edited by a moderator:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I sadly don't have my Brawl disc. My Brother borrowed it. :urg:
I don't think gliding is completely gone. Don't forget that Pit's moveset received a complete overhaul, so it's not surprising that some of his abilities are replaced with new ones. Maybe they removed his gliding ability to stay true to KI:U.

However, if it is indeed gone, I don't think that will hurt Ridley's potential air game. Gliding is rarely used to attack (maybe by Meta Knight) and I think they can find other ways to make Ridley menacing in the air.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
First, let's just re-clarify that Ridley is only truly discernibly intelligent and insightful as a character for folks who went out of their way to read the manga. In almost every single digital and game representation of the character, he's depicted as pretty much just a re-occurring, yet fearsome-looking monster. I see the point you're trying to make by applying absurdity to every villain already on the roster, but...

Just how much do you expect from the average modern day Nintendo gamer?

I'm not saying Smash is new to promoting obscurity, but each of the characters are relate-able within their franchise as a gaming character. You don't have to read a Mario manga to get his comedic family-friendly vibes. You don't need to Google the Zelda wiki to truly understand how sinister and divisive Ganondorf is. You just play the games. Game & Watch and Rob for example, don't really have personalities, they are just in because they were/are "retro". I guess that's an argument for Ridley though, but that draws me all the way back to the other less-traveled part of my original point...that there just wasn't really much implication in that direct that Ridley would be playable where so many people are thinking there was. It's not his relate-ability. Obviously most villains aren't relate-able, unless you're a crazy, but there's just nothing insightful about Ridley that can be easily discerned from the games like the other characters.

Except that's just the way it appears to you. Obviously it doesn't appear that way to me...and I'm not about to go and assume I have any idea what Sakurai is thinking...I would recommend you practice the same caution before you disappoint yourself...

Again, this has nothing to do with what I believe Ridley deserves. I have no opinion on whether I want him to be in or not, I honestly don't care if he gets in or if he doesn't, I'm just explaining, from my point of view, I believe the evidence being examined in this thread just isn't strong, and why (obviously from an outside-in perspective) why Ridley seems like he is somewhat of a mis-fit compared to the viability of the other villains (or characters in general).

I certainly am not putting it past Sakurai to stick him in...I just don't think it will happen, personally.

This is extremely unlikely, as Project M developers have outright said that they are strictly against any and all forms of competing with the main smash series, which to them meant avoiding at all costs a roster with characters that the main series had yet to utilize (like, this was a specific mention).

If the main franchise doesn't use Ridley, Project M definitely won't.
So because Ridley is popular...

Fans WON'T put him in a fanmade game in the unlikely circumstance that he ISN'T playable because they don't want to "compete"?

I...

I know nothing about these fancy fanmade games, but who WOULD be qualified to become a newcomer to these games under these conditions?

And why are you still hung up on whether Ridley has a personality or not? He's a SPACE DRAGON. A. SPACE. DRAGON. With explosive fire breath and a serrated, deadly tail! There's a unique fighter in there! There's tons of player appeal to even those who have no idea what Metroid is!

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok im going to bring back my posts to speed

Alright this is the biggest thing I have ever posted I really hope I did well

first off I like to thank lackadaisyalex for this it does almost all of the arguments' part's for me

but I will be doing some of the arguments anyway

now then

it all started with this

after the yellow devil Ridley gets shown

but this does not mean that Ridley is not playable and I will show you why and then the after this will be the best part

toon link survived despite his cameo appearance
well first off most of us thought toon link was kicked because of this happening

he was a stage cameo instead of playable we all thought because of that he was doomed to come back.

"but..."
on 9/26 2013
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/toon_link.html
Wait wait wait, but that's impossible he was a cameo before how did toon link survived. Well turns out sakurai had something prepared

Alfonzo is taking toon Links place when he is being played as

So what does this have to do with Ridley well it's this.

Well sakurai called this stage the pyrosphere.

but there's something that's plausible it's this

pyrosphere is NOT the correct name for where you fight Ridley
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Geothermal_Power_Plant
that's the correct name

pyrosphere is the name of the fire world in other m not the room. This may be a scrolling room some of the stages already confirmed and some of the past ones, For example this one
in this quote looks suspicious

Hmmm now that's suspicious.

Now where I'm going is this.

the Goyagma

and the Vorash

(This user of the videos is not me before you ask.)

They could be boss hazards and Ridley as well if this is a scrolling stage.

In other words the Goyagma, and Vorash, maybe bosses, but when Ridley, is being played as Ridley may be simply turned off

which brings the next thing

Both boss hazard and playable
We know this is Ridley.

And could be a hazard, but it does not roll out playable if he was boss and here's why.

remember this fight on Kirby air ride city trial.

Yea he's a boss in city trial

'But look...'
Start at 2:19ish

That's playable Dedede also on city trial.

So Dedede is both playable, and a boss, on city trial.

So going back the stage thing that's how I think Ridley. Simply disable will work when he's in the arena if a scrolling stage.

OK next up is

Sakurai can have a change of heart
Now what's this has to do with him well its this.

OK what he is saying is Ridley is impossible. But change of heart is very likely.

What it means he thought villager was not suitable for battle.

He had a change of heart obviously.
http://www.smashbros.com/us/characters/villager.html

So, he made villager playable.

Now for exhibit B

He claimed that Namco would not get any special treatment. If he said that why did this get added to smash.

And these guys from galaga (which is made by Namco)

the S flag is a proud symbol of Namco and how charizard is holding it. It is probably going to be an assist trophy based item. That is nothing but retro Namco character that the S flag was in probably

And also not to mention this helps pac-man, and that's a Namco character. And, Sakurai probably knows that if he lets pac-man in as playable his game is going to make history

(worlds first game with Mario sonic mega man pac-man all playable in one game)

(I suppose another is the first time ever Ridley is playable in something that's not fan based game if confirmed playable)
and now for the big apple pie

HES WAY TOO BIG YOU FOOLS
This is by far the worst argument in the history of these forms.

EVERYBODY HAS BEN HUGE AND SHRUKEN AND PLAYABLES HAVE BEN SMALLER THAN THEY HAVE BEN NOT PLAYABLE

Let's start with Bowser.

Oh he was this once.

WROOOONG

They did it twice. (Unless the left is fan based ofcoarse.) and that's not the only time he was huge.

So he resize's Bowser All of the time in stuff. (Without any magical stuff he grab's .)

but when playable.

He's smaller.

And this is with a bunch of other character's with shrinkage or growth.

"King k rool"

"Boss"

He's even bigger in this.

But playable.

WTF a toad is half his height.

"Petey pirhana"

But playable.

:crazy: Luigi is almost as tall as him.

And here's my favorite

"Quenn bee"

"Boss"

But playable

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
FROM TITAN SIZE TO A TOAD 3/4 HER SIZE WHAT?!?!?!?!

in other words characters get shrunken when playable

and ofcoarse this kills it
http://nintendoeverything.com/super-smash-bros-for-3ds-screenshot-21914/
the quote of this is
This dog is huge… Wait, no, the playable characters are small. The Smash Bros. series doesn’t always stay true to scale

ok that kills the argument CYA
[\spoiler]
link to part 2
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-ridley-for-super-smash-brothers-for-wii-u-3ds-thread.324284/page-637#post-16728288

Last edited:

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
So because Ridley is popular...

Fans WON'T put him in a fanmade game in the unlikely circumstance that he ISN'T playable because they don't want to "compete"?

I...

I know nothing about these fancy fanmade games, but who WOULD be qualified to become a newcomer to these games under these conditions?

And why are you still hung up on whether Ridley has a personality or not? He's a SPACE DRAGON. A. SPACE. DRAGON. With explosive fire breath and a serrated, deadly tail! There's a unique fighter in there! There's tons of player appeal to even those who have no idea what Metroid is!
Exactly this who cares what his personality is. Its a ****ing fighting game.....Not an RPG. Its not like these characters are having well mannered conversations while beating the **** outta each other...

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Exactly this who cares what his personality is. Its a ****ing fighting game.....Not an RPG. Its not like these characters are having well mannered conversations while beating the **** outta each other...
That would make an amazing fighting game. Gentlemanly Pugilism DX. The game where gentlemen engage in enlightening conversation while punching each other.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Part 2 shadow analyze

Part 2 of the shadow analysis: Before we start, I would like to address one more thing out of Part 1:

HE DECONFIRMED RIDLEY!

When the footage was shown in the Yellow Devil section, he never mentioned Ridley as another boss; He only heavily implied so.

He also deconfirms characters without beating around the bush, as with Waluigi, Ashley, Dillon, Wonder Red ...

Sakurai:
"The Wonderful 100!! We also made trophies of some of the other Wonderful Ones."

There's a precedence of deconfirming characters directly. Ridley was not directly deconfirmed, so his chances still remain high.

Anyhow, onto the second part.

HE'S HUGE!
Yeah, about that...
Okay, yeah, it DOES looks huge, but his shadow doesn't cover the central platform with the little pegs there.

Why is that relevant? Well, look at this picture.
His shadow is not as big as the center platform, which means he is smaller than he lets on.

Plus, his wings give off the illusion that his body is enormous.

But if we take some measurements...
We can see that his wingspan far exceeds his body.

And if we exclude the wings of the shadow picture above:

Wow, that's so much smaller.

And another thing:

the shadow does stretch out at points, so its an illusion to make Ridley much larger than he appears to be:

Not only is the shadow much larger, but the bottom is really stretched.

HE'S A BOSS CHARACTER, NOT A PLAYABLE CHARACTER!
Possible, but the exact quote was:
"Boss characters makes appearances in other stages, not just this one."

Why say boss characters?

I mean, these guys are/were bosses in their own games at some point, and they're characters.
Yes, even good ol' DK. So we can't rule out vague diction.

Another point against him being a boss: Did you notice Pikachu actually escapes Ridley?

Now this was a few moments before Ridley started flying again.

So how did Pikachu escape without any struggle? He was definitely not struggling.
According to the wiki on grabs, if your damage is at 0%, you can escape without struggle in about six seconds.

But the absolute weirdest sign is that just before the footage fade out, he may have jumped.
View attachment 12399

Compare with Brawl Ridley(s). Their movement is so smooth and well-telegraphed, much like most bosses in other games.

Compare with shadow footage Ridley. His movement is so jerky, much like how every character throughout the Smash Bros. series moves.

For all we know, that quote could mean anything.

SIZE COMPARISON

Alright, let's start with the most important thing in my opinion: his hand and tail.
Pictured: Ridley's hand.

Pictured: Ridley's tail. (Estimated)

Because these shadows are on a wall, the only thing that can distort it is a zoom in effect on the picture. But since the shadows mostly stay true to the size of the characters, these are at least 80% accurate to actual size, in my opinion.

And it took me a while, but I found a another character shadow on the pillar, Donkey Kong.

At 2:29, look at the pillar, slow down the video, and don't blink.

That's my estimate, but I'm probably off on the fill in, so keep that in mind.

Ridley's tail is no where near Donkey Kong's height. It is most likely only 1/2 ish of Donkey Kong's height.

and his hand is only 1/6 of Donkey Kong's height.

Onto the hand!
Picture A: Ridley's size in Other M.
Picture B: angel glory's resized Ridley holding Samus.

Judging by the hand picture, if we increase the size of the hand shadow by a few knuckles, doing so would most likely yield Ridley's size from Picture B.
As for his tail, it's most likely this size:

Left: This is the size of Ridley's tail in Other M as compared to Samus.

Right: This is the estimated size of Ridley's tail in Sm4sh as compared to Pikachu.

Next up his head:

his head is right there and my estimates are correct by his head size and kirbys shadow (which will be a little lower on this post)
is 2/3 or 1/2 ridleys head

And now the best part of them all: Body comparisons!
Okay, I gathered a few pictures of as many character's shadows as possible. (If you want to help me with this part, you can find me some full shadow pictures of other characters that aren't being covered by other obstructing/obscuring objects.)

As I mentioned earlier, Ridley's wings make him look a lot bigger, so for estimation purposes, I excluded the wings for size comparison. Also keep in mind that these aren't 100% perfect.

Heeeeeere we go

Charizard

Source:
at 2:01

Kirby

Source:
Go to 1:25
(Don't blink and you will see it. This took me many attempts to get this one.)

Zero Suit Samus (And by extension, Samus)

Source:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/
you will see it under the correct categorys

Greninja

(this one was Really tough)

See Charizard for the source, and go to 1:38.

(With a keen eye, you can see Greninja's shadow)

Rosalina
(This is by far the most useful for arguments, because Rosalina and Bowser are almost the exact same height.)

(yes I know because of how she is its the best I can do)

Rosalina is almost as large as Ridley's whole body!

Source:
Go to 2:18.

(but if you guys/girls not commenced by this see if you can get me a better Rosalina shadow)

Ok Bowser is next

The Next picture is where the shadow is.
(picture by @ majora_787 majora_787 )

So, with this now without a further ado. Here is the pin points.

Blue, & Green, = shadow positions.

Red, & Yellow, = Approximate measurement of the shadow over here.

Hehehe look at that "Bowsers shadow is almost as big as Ridleys."

Source:
http://smashbros-miiverse.com/
you will see it under the correct categorys

And going back to Rosalina's shadow.

Like I Said Rosalina, & Bowser Are Almost the same Height

and now the best for last

I did Mother Brain, but I did Ridley's shadow points instead.

(The green dot is on the other size because that's his foot. And since Pikachu is on the other side, I need to use his other foot for reference.)

:crazy: Wait a Second Ridley shadow is smaller than mother brains

look at these

Ridley has always been bigger than Mother Brain, (Well, except for the NES, but Zero Mission retconned that) so why is Mother Brain's shadow now bigger than Ridley's?
well that's what I got you want more you can help for finding more shadows of other characters or better pictures or mention anything I missed I will post it for a part 3 (sectioned missed arguments)

so what are you thoughts

link to part 1
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ii-u-3ds-thread.324284/page-636#post-16727842]

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Deconfirming smaller characters on the home stretch to E3 is one thing (sorry Dillon/Wonder fans), but to announce someone with a huge following like Ridley in a less then desirable status within a couple weeks would be a foolish move, especially after he's been teased and hyped for all these months.

By the way, I had a great dream last night. It was during the E3 Digital Event, and playable Ridley was there. During the whole 20 seconds or so of the dream sequence he was on the Punch Out!! stage and was mostly likened to his Roidley incarnation (but not completely). The weird thing was he stayed airborne the entire time in an idle animation, just slightly above the ropes of the boxing ring (he was inside the ring right next to them). Images of Charizard in X and Y flashed at some point, probably because I have one named Ridley in my copy of Y and the constant hovering looked similar to Ridley's behavior in the dream.

Finally of course, his size. He was incredibly small, think slightly smaller then Bowser. :ohwell:

Top Bottom