• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
That sure is a Ridley. I dunno though, something seems weird about the saturation on the wings. But maybe it's just me.
It's a product of using the textures of the original Other M model, opening it in 3DS Max also renders the wings transparent. The model used above is a model that can be found on BrawlVault btw.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm sure Ridley won't be in.
Not because that "he's too big" nonsense, but because of the 3DS hardware.
Come on guys, the 3DS will never be able to handle Ridley.

It's sad but it's true. Maybe next time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm sure Ridley won't be in.
Not because that "he's too big" nonsense, but because of the 3DS hardware.
Come on guys, the 3DS will never be able to handle Ridley.

It's sad but it's true. Maybe next time.
Oh shucks. I guess they had to cut Groudon from X & Y too, since he's so big and also a bit detailed, not to mention the 3DS can't handle over 700 different fully animated Pokémons, so I guess we're down to about 500 Pokémons or so. Man, the 3DS sure sucks.

Just to make my post clear, the 3DS isn't very limited at all, simply because Sakurai made one comment in regards to Ice Climbers everyone are flipping their **** on it. Ridley's inclusion wouldn't take any more space than Charizard's, other than his model would be slightly bigger, but Bowser has already taken care of that. Make no mistake, the 3DS is a powerhouse.

?????????????

Smash Master
Entire Playstation 2 games have been ported to the 3DS, with updated graphics and extra features. Why would this even be a problem?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Oh shucks. I guess they had to cut Groudon from X & Y too, since he's so big and also a bit detailed, not to mention the 3DS can't handle over 700 different fully animated Pokémons, so I guess we're down to about 500 Pokémons or so. Man, the 3DS sure sucks.

Just to make my post clear, the 3DS isn't very limited at all, simply because Sakurai made one comment in regards to Ice Climbers everyone are flipping their **** on it. Ridley's inclusion wouldn't take any more space than Charizard's, other than his model would be slightly bigger, but Bowser has already taken care of that. Make no mistake, the 3DS is a powerhouse.
Eeeeeh that comparison with Groudon doesn't make sense but OK I guess.
I wasn't thinking about Ice Climbers, in fact, I'm 100% sure they will be in. That comparison is pretty weak too, their problem was related to the programming for the gameplay, not the model.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Eeeeeh that comparison with Groudon doesn't make sense but OK I guess.
I wasn't thinking about Ice Climbers, in fact, I'm 100% sure they will be in. That comparison is pretty weak too, their problem was related to the programming for the gameplay, not the model.
Yeah, the Groudon comparison was pretty weak, but it was the biggest Pokémon that isn't less detailed than a balloon (aka Wailord) that I could think of.

Thing is, the 3DS isn't weak at all, and it'd easily be able to carry a free for all with 4 Ridleys, as long as you make him about Bowser's size. Ridley really isn't very complex in his visuals. Heck, the 3DS has even had Ridley on it before, in DoA: Dimensions, and while he didn't have too many animations it could still carry a cutscene of him smashing the players into the wall, not to mention that he was a lot bigger than he'd be in Smash Bros.

Ridley's model won't cause any problems for the 3DS, the system is so criminally underrated around these parts, it's almost impressive how much it's being looked down at. The only thing it might have trouble with is exactly programming things, and even then it isn't all that restricted (which is why I consider ICs and PT to be in 100%). In terms of graphics it's not lacking at all, it just needs to optimize the models for usage on the 3DS, that's all.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah, the Groudon comparison was pretty weak, but it was the biggest Pokémon that isn't less detailed than a balloon (aka Wailord) that I could think of.

Thing is, the 3DS isn't weak at all, and it'd easily be able to carry a free for all with 4 Ridleys, as long as you make him about Bowser's size. Ridley really isn't very complex in his visuals. Heck, the 3DS has even had Ridley on it before, in DoA: Dimensions, and while he didn't have too many animations it could still carry a cutscene of him smashing the players into the wall, not to mention that he was a lot bigger than he'd be in Smash Bros.

Ridley's model won't cause any problems for the 3DS, the system is so criminally underrated around these parts, it's almost impressive how much it's being looked down at. The only thing it might have trouble with is exactly programming things, and even then it isn't all that restricted (which is why I consider ICs and PT to be in 100%). In terms of graphics it's not lacking at all, it just needs to optimize the models for usage on the 3DS, that's all.
Well I hope you're right then.
Probably I'm just trying to prepare myself for disappointment when Ridley will be official NOT in the game for other various reasons.
Because he probably won't be in the game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The 3DS has the same if not more data space than Brawl did, and the model problem is overrated.

The only issue I can see for any character would be Pokémon Trainer, and even then, I wouldn't be too upset about him getting cut because it's a 3 for one deal.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I thought the only issue they were having with characters were ones that were multiple simultaneous characters, like Ice Climbers and Olimar. I would think Pokemon Trainer would be okay, since you're only using one Pokemon at a time.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well I hope you're right then.
Probably I'm just trying to prepare myself for disappointment when Ridley will be official NOT in the game for other various reasons.
Because he probably won't be in the game.
That's up to you to believe. I still have strong faith in it, and if he isn't in, oh well. My reaction will probably be a bit heavier than that if it's the case of course, but there's really not anything to do about it, so there's no reason to throw a fit, like I learned after Ridley was shown as a boss in Brawl for the first time.

Groudon's actually not available in X/Y yet.
I know, but it's still in the data obviously. Impatiently waiting for that Pokébank :sonic:

D

Deleted member

Is someone seriously saying the 3DS can't handle Ridley, when he was already on the 3DS?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Wow, Wailord is pretty damn small in X & Y. I mean, I didn't expect it to be anime big, but at least Colosseum/Battle Revolution big, though they had much bigger battlefields too.

However, we aren't really banking on Ridley being twice the size of Bowser anyways, so it still shouldn't be a problem.

Also, good for Wailord that he got smaller actually, considering that his mass vs his weight in previous games made him nothing but a fancy balloon.

majora_787

Smash Hero
As for the 3DS handling sizes, Jhen Mohran. Even better yet, Dara Amadyura. Monster Hunter 3G and Monster Hunter 4 respectively. If you're too lazy to look it up, their size classifications are the Jhen Mohran, Hallowed Jhen Mohran, Ceadeus, and Goldbeard Ceadeus which are all about the size of a football field.

And then we have the Dara Amadyura, which is approximated as the size of a small island. How 'bout it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
As for the 3DS handling sizes, Jhen Mohran. Even better yet, Dara Amadyura. Monster Hunter 3G and Monster Hunter 4 respectively. If you're too lazy to look it up, their size classifications are the Jhen Mohran, Hallowed Jhen Mohran, Ceadeus, and Goldbeard Ceadeus which are all about the size of a football field.

And then we have the Dara Amadyura, which is approximated as the size of a small island. How 'bout it.

...I can't wait until Monster Hunter 4 comes over.

Anyway, yeah the whole "the 3DS can't handle it!" argument doesn't work here. It has handled much larger and more complex enemies then a playable Ridley would ever be.

majora_787

Smash Hero
And let us take a moment to acknowledge that these massive monsters are found anywhere in numbers from 1 to 3 at a time, in large and involved environments. Especially in 4. And then there are four players out and about at the same time. I think Dara Amadyura takes more than four players though.

Hell they can be in multiple large involved areas and be wandering around between them.

So I mean Monster Hunter shows pretty well what the 3DS is able to do.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm glad Monster Hunter could be such a valuable tool in pro-Ridley...ocity...ism...ification. Yes.

But really looking at Monster Hunter it doesn't even make sense that people think Smash 4 will be skimping on any content, let alone being unable to handle RIdley.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Believe in the lord Ridley Christ. Accept him into your heart and make him your lord and savior.

In Sakurai's name, Amen

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ridley < Rathian from MH3U.

Anyway, what version of Ridley would y'all want for Smash 4?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I was watching monday night football yesterday and everytime i saw this players jersey, i couldnt help but think of the big guy

(im not a pats fan, just thought it was kinda funny)

majora_787

Smash Hero
Best case scenario we get Prime 1 Meta Ridley. But I doubt that'll happen, it will probably be some hybrid updated Other M Ridley. Which I am okay with.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Surprise announcement for Friday, there's a playable video where all you see is the background of the Galaxy stage. You hit play assuming a Mario character will appear, but Ridley crawls from behind the flying Mario head an proceeds to wreck ****.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Anyway, what version of Ridley would y'all want for Smash 4?
Preferably the Super Metroid design, as seen in Brawl. Though a dream of mine would be to see his Zero Mission design, since that's probably my favorite design of his.

We're of course getting the Other M design if anything though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I know which version of Ridley will be playable, obviously will be his most modern design:
:troll:

.n_n.
Funny how I only now notice that his chest has the same icon as the... power on & off button?

Top Bottom