• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member 245254

People already came to this conclusion about three pages ago, you kept responding to people and bringing it back up again.

But now Mother Brain's shadow throws that entirely into question, because Ridley's shadow is barely bigger than Mother Brain's shadow, and Mother Brain's shadow is consistent with both Pikachu's and Ridley's shadow in the direct.
Please don't just ignore the fact that I was generally always responding to someone, that's how discussion works.

There's also this...

You can clearly see the higher platform portraying to the back right, which is also consistent with mother brain.

Ridley, however, is not grounded. He is in the air. Since Ridley is elevated, the light source essentially needs to be the back left (behind the camera).

That being said, the shadows are still subject to being modified by the light source, and thus direct size observations are impossible based on the shape of the shadow.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Don't know whether or not to be grateful for youtube ads saving me from getting rickrolled there earlier, which is... a practice I haven't seen done in years.

Thing I always liked about Ridley in that concept art (first pic) was aside from the obvious intended Phazon look with the blue and body being more sleek, the wings looked like they were made of circuit-board like material. Perhaps an "upgrade" to the kind of fiery wings Meta-Ridley had. Regardless, a computerized mechanical Ridley with circuit-board wings would be cool, as a more "finished" version of Zero Mission's Mecha Ridley.
-u- you know, seeing his concept art again made me love his current Omega design even more (like if I haven't already). I see the neck in the concept a bit wierd but know I see that he can strech it..

40690832.jpg

I wish there was a figurine to stare at it or a plush to hug it to death...

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Thing I always liked about Ridley in that concept art (first pic) was aside from the obvious intended Phazon look with the blue and body being more sleek, the wings looked like they were made of circuit-board like material. Perhaps an "upgrade" to the kind of fiery wings Meta-Ridley had. Regardless, a computerized mechanical Ridley with circuit-board wings would be cool, as a more "finished" version of Zero Mission's Mecha Ridley.
Personally I like how it looks like a cross between Robo Cop and Red-Eyes Black Dragon.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
Personally I like how it looks like a cross between Robo Cop and Red-Eyes Black Dragon.
Your signature is amazing, it made me skree as a Metroid fanboy. Related, a Ridley figure would be an absolute staple to my game room, wherever that may be. Could you imagine Ridley in Mario Kart? lulz

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Oh great Wizard @ Angelglory Angelglory , I beseech thee; Take your Other M Ridley models, and scale him down so that his tail be 1/4th of this brick in Pyrosphere that distorts his tail.
Tail comparison stage.png

When the deed is done, please show Ridley's size relative to the Pyrosphere, so that we may attempt to fit the Pyrosphere of Other M into the Smash Bros. version, to better determine Ridley's size.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The problem with Ridley playable in Smash is that I will have to buy amiibos. I don't want amiibos. But I wouldn't be able to ignore a Ridley amiibo. And by buying a Ridley amiibo, I would HAVE to buy Samus and Zamus' amiibos also. Such money ;_;

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
- Here I am.

- No, I can't create shadows or that sort of lighting with BrawlBox.

- Bird's eye view of the original 'Pyrosphere' stage, it's not the exact same thing, but this is all I get you.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I don't people caught me say it, but could somebody extrapolate Ridley's size in relation to the actual stage based on how high other characters are? Find a character level with where his head is, find one level with his feet, compare how high the two are in relation, etc. That's much easier to show then shadows.
Bleh, nobody responds to this :p

Fine! I'll do it myself XD

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
I've been thinking, what if there are people who want Kraid in SSB? I have a feeling as a Ellen Ridley supporter that I'd use the same "Too Big" arguments. I feel bad now.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
- Here I am.

- No, I can't create shadows or that sort of lighting with BrawlBox.

- Bird's eye view of the original 'Pyrosphere' stage, it's not the exact same thing, but this is all I get you.
Thanks a bunch. This is EXACTLY what I needed.

Give me a moment.

I've been thinking, what if there are people who want Kraid in SSB? I have a feeling as a Ellen Ridley supporter that I'd use the same "Too Big" arguments. I feel bad now.
Well, Ridley must be an exception somehow. Despite being the bigger villain, we're not debating why Mother Brain is an important enough villain to be a playable character.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
What the **** is a Ridley?
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ble-in-the-demo.324284/page-895#post-16909814

Beat ya to it.

This is not how I imagined the "Ridley 900 Page Celebration Extravaganza Fiesta Party Shindig Boomtastic Event" to be like.
Save that for the 1000th post mate.

Please don't just ignore the fact that I was generally always responding to someone, that's how discussion works.

There's also this...

You can clearly see the higher platform portraying to the back right, which is also consistent with mother brain.

Ridley, however, is not grounded. He is in the air. Since Ridley is elevated, the light source essentially needs to be the back left (behind the camera).

That being said, the shadows are still subject to being modified by the light source, and thus direct size observations are impossible based on the shape of the shadow.
I'm fairly certain Ridley's shadow is aiming towards the same direction as the platforms.

Reila

The problems with Kraid isn't only his absurd size, though.

Reila

Too big, too slow and too disgusting.
Hey!... Kraid has feelings too, you know? But yeah, there are too many "toos" regarding Kraid.

Unfortunately or nor, the only recurring character besides Ridley with potential to be playable is Dark Samus.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
The problem with Ridley playable in Smash is that I will have to buy amiibos. I don't want amiibos. But I wouldn't be able to ignore a Ridley amiibo. And by buying a Ridley amiibo, I would HAVE to buy Samus and Zamus' amiibos also. Such money ;_;
C: I would love to have a Ridley amiibo (they couldn't use the word Amigo for some reason?) but it makes me a little bit sad that it would look like Roidley and not Ridley,Meta or Omega...but I would love one that looked like this:
ridley__s_tail__by_gneiss_chert-d4msl5n.jpg

I wouldn't be able to stop watching it....

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I actually do want Kraid because, well...

I kinda was Kraid in a close-knit Metroid fanfic on Facebook and now Tumblr.

I'm pulling for Ridley though. THE FAT ZEBESIAN IS A FORCE TO BE RECKONED WITH, HOWEVER.

Reila

C: I would love to have a Ridley amiibo (they couldn't use the word Amigo for some reason?) but it makes me a little bit sad that it would look like Roidley and not Ridley,Meta or Omega...but I would love one that looked like this:
View attachment 16355

I wouldn't be able to stop watching it....
It would be hard to trademark the word amigo, I presume? I mean, it is a very common word in Portuguese (maybe in Spanish too).

I like Roidley's design, so I would be bothered. Though a Zero Mission Ridley amiibo would be much, much better.

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Hey!... Kraid has feelings too, you know? But yeah, there are too many "toos" regarding Kraid.

Unfortunately or nor, the only recurring character besides Ridley with potential to be playable is Dark Samus.
He shoots severed hands out of his 3 navel orifices, that's too much.

Aaaand, Dark Sammy has failed us. It's all up to Ridley now.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Can someone explain to me why you still think Ridley has a shot at being playable in Smash 4 when he was clearly deconfirmed in the Smash Bros Direct months ago? Honestly, I just don't see how that could have been viewed in any different way.

Reila

Here we go again.

By the way, speaking of Kraid, I am still disappointed Meta Kraid never got to appear in the Metroid Prime series

If there is ever a Metroid Prime 4, he better appear as a boss, with this exact design:

Last edited:

AbioFlesh

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me why you still think Ridley has a shot at being playable in Smash 4 when he was clearly deconfirmed in the Smash Bros Direct months ago? Honestly, I just don't see how that could have been viewed in any different way.
Prolly gonna get Greninja'd but to put it simply before more arguments arise:

They didn't show him or referred to Ridley directly (irony)

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Speaking of Amiibos, did anyone figure out exactly what caused that small explosion on Pyrosphere in the E3 trailer introducing them? You know, the one that had Mario and Mii fighting on it.

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Ridley has issues sure. But at least we love him :D Kraid wouldnt cut it. Not enough love. Plus he just stands there. All...scary looking...with stomach protrusions. All menacingly...

We already have our scary looking character.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Leave, now. You're only going to get a headache out of this.

But I'll let others explain why he still has a fighting chance.

Reila

It's just something that's been bugging me recently, and I never bothered to check back in this thread after that direct. I just want an answer, that's all.
There are plenty of reasons to believe Ridley has a chance to be playable. I am not good with arguments, so I will leave this to some other Ridley supporter. Just a thing: Ridley wasn't obviously disconfirmed in the Direct. Sakurai never stated his role in the game. He said other boss characters would make an appearance in Smash 4. Guess what? Ridley is a boss character in all the games he appeared so far. Doesn't me he will be one in Smash.

Top Bottom