• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

I believe one of the strongest reasons to add Ridley is for the casual gamer(with that meaning "the one who has little knowledge about Nintendo characters"), think about it, how many people got excited when they unlocked the FE lords in Melee? How many got excited when unlocking Ness? Also, let's take the "kid who only plays Pokemon and Mario" case, which kid wouldn't be happy to play as a giant purple space dragon? The same aplies for K. Rool, which kid wouldn't like to play as a fat crocodile? Smash is also a game about marketing, if someone would like to play as Ridley, they would want to play the game he comes from, look at all the newcomers: Mega Man markets the insanely amount of his games on VC; Villager markets AC:New Leaf(heck, I even made my villager in NL look just like Smash Villager); WFT markets Wii Fit U(don't know if someone would actually buy it just because they like to play as her, but, oh well); Rosalina markets the two Galaxy games and 3D World; Little Mac markets Punch Out on the Wii and the VC(I even bought it on VC after his reveal); Greninja markets X and Y; Palutena markets Uprising; and Pac-Man markets the two games that are on Smash's E-Shop page
Ridley is the only Metroid character that promotes the franchise as a whole, the "better choices"(as named by detractors) only market one game alone
Dark Samus with MP2 and 3(without playing MP1 no one would know she's the Metroid Prime)
Anthony and Adam promote Other M
The Hunters promote Hunters(which is hard to find)
tl;dr Ridley is a good choice for both fans and non-fans of the Metroid series and promote it as a whole

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
If we are wrong, a thread will not be created, though.
Maybe. Could be someone else notices all these I was wrong threads, and to be sarcastic/funny/whatever he makes a reverse one for Ridley if Bossly is unveiled

Of course, that would make it all the sweeter if Ridley was both a boss and playable.

I am not entirely sure; most detractors are not objectively detractors. They are not even absolutely certain that he is going to be a boss. They always equivocate their language. In that event that Ridley is confirmed, there will be a degree of humility, but most would probably just avoid their error. That happens with every "I was wrong thread," for instance the Ike thread. There is NO way that is an accurate showing (albeit this is based on my empirical knowledge).
Sometimes I stop and admire your diction instead of actually reading your posts. You're one of the few people on these boards I learn new words from. I've often alluded to the definition of equivocate, but never knew there was a word for it. I'm going to have to remember it.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I had lost hope for Ridley for a while, but I got thinking about it recently, and at this point, there's really only two options. We already have a direct comparison to show that Ridley's about twice Pikachu's height, which makes him around the size of Bowser. From what little footage we've seen, it's either:

1) Ridley's a relatively small, slow-moving boss character (or glorified stage hazard; they're the same thing)
2) Ridley's a relatively large, slow-moving playable character with an unusual playing style (or maybe his up-B keeps him suspended in their air for a while like Pit's old one)

The only bosses we've seen (the Yellow Devil and presumably the Dark Emperor) are pretty large, more than double the size of an average-sized character like the Wii Fit Trainer and usually taking up a large portion of the stage. (Yellow Devil takes up half of his) If Ridley's a slow-moving boss that's the size of a playable character, what's the point of having him as a boss at all aside from taunting people who wanted him playable?

Given what we've seen so far, I'd have more reason to believe that Sakurai would give a playable character an unusual way of fighting than I would have to believe that he'd make a boss so unimpressively tiny and slow. I don't know if I'm just being stubborn at this point, but between the two options, him being playable seems to make more sense based on what little we know.

Last edited:

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340
I believe one of the strongest reasons to add Ridley is for the casual gamer(with that meaning "the one who has little knowledge about Nintendo characters"), think about it, how many people got excited when they unlocked the FE lords in Melee? How many got excited when unlocking Ness? Also, let's take the "kid who only plays Pokemon and Mario" case, which kid wouldn't be happy to play as a giant purple space dragon? The same aplies for K. Rool, which kid wouldn't like to play as a fat crocodile? Smash is also a game about marketing, if someone would like to play as Ridley, they would want to play the game he comes from, look at all the newcomers: Mega Man markets the insanely amount of his games on VC; Villager markets AC:New Leaf(heck, I even made my villager in NL look just like Smash Villager); WFT markets Wii Fit U(don't know if someone would actually buy it just because they like to play as her, but, oh well); Rosalina markets the two Galaxy games and 3D World; Little Mac markets Punch Out on the Wii and the VC(I even bought it on VC after his reveal); Greninja markets X and Y; Palutena markets Uprising; and Pac-Man markets the two games that are on Smash's E-Shop page
Ridley is the only Metroid character that promotes the franchise as a whole, the "better choices"(as named by detractors) only market one game alone
Dark Samus with MP2 and 3(without playing MP1 no one would know she's the Metroid Prime)
tl;dr Ridley is a good choice for both fans and non-fans of the Metroid series and promote it as a whole
To be honest, I think Ridley has way more appeal than K. Rool in that sense. I think that metaphorical kid would pick the giant fire-breathing purple dragon over the fat crocodile any day of the week. Heck, most of the newcomers I would argue are not recognizable to the non-Nintendo buff. Maybe Mega Man? Other than that, I can't think anyone who isn't into Nintendo games would know most of these guys.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
And yet at the same time there is the bizarre "Ridley is too scary" argument. The idea is that Ridley is purposely hidden before release because having a menacing dragon on the front page might frighten off potential buyers or something like that.

I personally think such a claim is total bull**** due to the fact that many people who play gritty violent shooters are 12 year-olds. :glare:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
[random comment]

I want Quadraxis to be a boss in SSB4

[/random comment]

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And yet at the same time there is the bizarre "Ridley is too scary" argument. The idea is that Ridley is purposely hidden before release because having a menacing dragon on the front page might frighten off potential buyers or something like that.

I personally think such a claim is total bull**** due to the fact that many people who play gritty violent shooters are 12 year-olds. :glare:
Actually, I think that argument is perfectly sound. It is arbitrary, but so are potential buyers.

Reila

[random comment]

I want Quadraxis to be a boss in SSB4

[/random comment]
Ops, I forgot some of our fellow Ridley supporters aren't Metroid fans, so allow me to illustrate what the hell a Quadraxis is:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley is not much more scary than many Pokémon. I consider Kyurem to look a lot more bizarre than Ridley. It does depend a bit on how they present him though, the Brawl design looks no more frightening than a regular cartoon dragon, while the Other M design looks a bit more scawy. I don't consider any of his designs to be anything a 7 year old can't handle, and even then the game is T rated.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Actually, I think that argument is perfectly sound. It is arbitrary, but so are potential buyers.
Ultimately, I suppose that is true. But even so, Brawl was a T rated game, and parents buy games way more "mature" for their children all the time.

Double standards, they drive me crazy sometimes.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
IT'S A TAKE ON A HUMAN ROIDLY

is it really that hard to get

Nothing? At All? Do I need more Duck Face?

I am Donion Rings with you
Yeah I'm not seeing it. I mean sure, he has purple stuff and is kinda burly, but that doesn't mean he's Ridley-esque. BURN IT DOWN AND TRY AGAIN.

Reila

Eh, Quadraxis being a glorified stage hazard wouldn't really do it justice... Just look at the Yellow Devil.
Perhaps not, but it is such a great boss in Echoes. It would be cool if it got some recognition in Smash Bros.

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
I recall the many Smash Detractors before the E3 saying the following:
- The Mario & Palutena Leak is so fake! Palutena will not be in Smash Bros
- Pacman looks ridiculous, and does nothing but eating...Also, Sakurai stated that Namco will not get priority!
Pacman will not be in Smash Bros.
- Miis look goofy and weird in Mii-supported games (Wii Party/Sports/NintendoLand, etc...). Miis will not join Smash Bros.

BOY WERE THEY WRONG!:awesome:

Now the same could happen to Ridley.....Most Ridley detractors keep bringing up the following points about Ridley:

1. Ridley is friggin huge in every Metroid game
(Didn't look that big to me in Super Metroid/ NES Metroid)

2. Ridley is already shown as a stage boss in Pyrosphere stage
(That is confirmation bias; Sakurai never stated that Ridley HIMSELF would be a stage boss.....Maybe another denizen(s) of the Pyrosphere Sector be the Stage Boss???)

3. Ridley would look Ridleyculuos and awkward as a fighter (couldn't pass the pun)
Yeah...and having the Gerudo King himself getting pwned by a pink marshmallow is not ridiculuous or awkward..

I got a strong feeling that our wait will pay off.....Just wait for a few months, fellow Space Pirates.

Our Space Dragon High Commander will swoop into the fray and the Whole World will witness Sakurai's BIGGEST Achievment: Making Ridley Playable despite insurmountable odds.

STAY SMASHING AND BELIEVING UNTIL THE VERY END!!! :smash:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Is Andrea becoming this thread's personal Morbid all of the sudden?
92A571_0D940A4514304_000.gif

"It is just for FUN."

xD Yeah, I also noticed that I was doing the same as Morbid....Sorry! :3

EDIT: Oh....now I see why I do that....I have not so much control over my right hand...so it became a habit...

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
I recall the many Smash Detractors before the E3 saying the following:
- The Mario & Palutena Leak is so fake! Palutena will not be in Smash Bros
the palutena leak... was fake, though
her model there looks nothing like how it actually does

Shinru202

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinryu2
3DS FC
2809-8719-6664
That's my point...I'm sure many people noticed that the Mario&Palutena Peak is fake (and a very well-made fake at that).
Because of that fake leak, many people were doubting that Palutena will join the fight.

Reila

Again, the different model doesn't prove the leak was fake. Character models change during the development of a game.

Not that it matters now that she was confirmed.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Moving onto another topic:

Since we know that lava appears in the background of the Final Destination of Pyrosphere, most have concluded that the lava is not going to be a hazard like some thought. With that in mind, what do you guys think the gimmick of Pyrosphere is going to be?

Just curious what this thread thinks.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Heh, you know what's going to be the second biggest topic after Ridley's confirmed?

The "I was wrong" thread. :smirk:
Second biggest, give me a break.

It'd be the largest thread in the entire forums.

There will be so many people eating crows once he is confirmed.
Crows would become extinct if that's the case.

I'm sure this thing would frighten little kids very easily.

Yet it was posted in a random PotD.

Ops, I forgot some of our fellow Ridley supporters aren't Metroid fans, so allow me to illustrate what the hell a Quadraxis is:
WHAT THE **** IS A RIDLEY!?

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Ridley would attract buyers not scare them away, plus Bowser's fairly menacing too right XD.

Edit: isn't this game rated T?

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Moving onto another topic:

Since we know that lava appears in the background of the Final Destination of Pyrosphere, most have concluded that the lava is not going to be a hazard like some thought. With that in mind, what do you guys think the gimmick of Pyrosphere is going to be?

Just curious what this thread thinks.
I need proof show me a pryosphere final destination version picture with the lava turned on.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
As for lava, I still think Pyrosphere is going to have some lava thing involved. Or some gimmick. It has to have a gimmick. It's not physically possible to have a gimmickless Metroid stage.
the gimmick is ridley, of course
didn't you SEE when sakurai confirmed him as a stage hazard
:troll:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Thats not the final destination version of the stage.

See the purple tubes under the pyrosphere, theres some cages around them, but in the final deatination version.

The cages are gone why did the cages off the tubes get taken off.

Dude, sorry, but that's just denial. The game is being subject to change, so the tube things were changed. Not that hard.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
For future reference, someone needs to crop that image into a little version of just Pyrosphere. Just a thought.

As for lava, I still think Pyrosphere is going to have some lava thing involved. Or some gimmick. It has to have a gimmick. It's not physically possible to have a gimmickless Metroid stage.
I'm still thinking that the tubes has something to do with the hazard, but the wierd thing is that on the Direct, the purple tubes were covered by some purple glow thing, and now they aren't even if it is the FD version.

also, Vorash's free Willy fight could be used for the stage...as it jumps to eat you or something....

EDIT: Should I say "ninja" something? I don't know :/

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Thats not the final destination version of the stage.

See the purple tubes under the pyrosphere, theres some cages around them, but in the final deatination version.

The cages are gone why did the cages off the tubes get taken off.
Read the link I posted. The image is grouped together with a bunch of other final destination stages. Also there are no platforms. Also I think the regular version of Pyrosphere is larger than that (not sure though).

Top Bottom