• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

I think t's going to be *new* gameplay, some stage not in the demo or Wii U's exclusive mode

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Their definition of big isn't necessarily our definition of big, sadly.

Best case scenario: Newcomer/Veteran reveal.

Worst case scenario: Gameplay.

So either way we win.
I want full alternate colors and final smashes, for every character.

Oh wait, that's not necessarily gameplay.

I hope they play on Pyrosphere.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
For me, I will believe in Ridley until the day when he is outright confirmed as a boss hazard. Since we're not getting Pyrosphere in the demo, I get the feeling that Nintendo really is hiding something about that stage.

The fact that Japan is getting the 3DS version in September, with the worldwide release coming in October, leads me to think that we're going to get one more newcomer revealed this August.

It's actually pretty interesting when you think about it. The Pyrosphere was revealed last year in August. Perhaps we're finally going to see Ridley in action the year after that.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I'm thinking that Pac-Man was the final major Smash news this E3. I bet when they said it's going to be a big day for Smash they meant something more along the lines of the "surprises" during the Invitational last night.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok now here's my toughs on this.

Before E3, I made an essay stating that E3 would be the most appropriate place to reveal him since it was so hyped.

I also said that the main argument of why I tough he was likely playable was the fact that he already waited too long.

Here's the problem: most of the E3 for Nintendo was yesterday and we didn't even heard of an implicit statement on him. That would basically destroy this argument because if he's revealed for whatever role, Sakurai did not intended to do so at E3 in the first place. What this means? Since my main argument supporting him is gone, it's the direct all over again which is a perfect 50/50 like we used to.

But this time, it's confirmed to be for a very VERY important purpose. This tells us nothing but it confirms for a fact that the direct was intentionally ambiguous and that we are doing exactly what he wants: speculate to create nervousity.

Why? There's 2 reasons:

1 The only theory that would be a clear evidence for him is now gone. It was the lava being the hazard but since we know it changed in development, we have absolutely no idea what the hazard on the normal version could be (that is it still can be ridley but now, if he isn't, we don't know what it could be).
2 The stage not being in the demo. That, honestly, is so fishy that I'm sure it was on purpose. When was this stage revealed again? Oh August 20 2013 do you honestly believe that the stage isn't ready to be in the demo? It's actually one of the first stages revealed and I think that the only stage not playable that was revealed earlier was the wii fit studio (which btw, we don't see a lot of this one recently). We still see pyrosphere a lot in trailers and potd (the press kit has lots of it) so, why not putting it in the demo? I think it basically confirms that it was done on purpose and this purpose is the same for the direct.

So, why? Why waiting so much for something you clearly wanted that we talk about? The only place to create hype and reveal him would in a direct or waiting for September 13. He said that there's so much content that they won't reveal everything before release but for some reasons, I don't think it's appropriate like what do the ultimate ghosts do? you said other boss characters but who are they? I said THEY in plural which means that there's others that are 100% confirmed to not be ridley. You would have to tell this in potd at one point don't you?

Recap, he can reveal in potd, direct in August or not revealing anything before release.

I think I made my point now we can't know what will happen and we are for now done on speculating because we are clueless. Sakurai wanted this so that he could surprise but in what way? I seriously think I can't argue anymore because there's nothing to argue and I can't even tell you if he's playable or not because both sides don't have enough arguments.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Hello all, I just joined to show my support for Ridley. I have been lurking on these forums since October and decided to make an account before I head off to the bestbuy demo.

D

Deleted member

You've joined at a rocky time, but welcome aboard!

Wait...

Gangplank galleon?! My heart....Rool might be in this!
I was just joking

"PotD. Out of the blue, here is the Gangplank Galleon from Donkey Kong Country, an enemy from DK's past may appear at any second..."

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
Woops XD Thanks, I hope to become an active member of these boards ( even though I don't play smash that competitively) I saw that the Ridley support seems to have hit rock bottom as of late. I still have some hope, and if not this game, then ssb5(or 6) He will definitely be playable.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You've joined at a rocky time, but welcome aboard!
Is it rocky times? I mean, E3 didn't really do anything harmful to Ridley's chances, as far as I can see. He was teased as a boss months ago and we still haven't seen him at all. In fact, it almost seems like they're deliberately hiding the Pyrosphere from players. Things aren't looking that bad for Ridley.

D

Deleted member

In other news we've nearly overtaken the Character Discussion Thread in terms of replies and pages.

When that happens this thread really will be TOO BIG. :troll:

Last edited by a moderator:

WayfaringElf

Smash Master
NNID
tobytwo
Maybe Ridley will be revelead during the Treehouse with the big smash news, or at the conference tonight about the new 3DS game.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Is it rocky times? I mean, E3 didn't really do anything harmful to Ridley's chances, as far as I can see. He was teased as a boss months ago and we still haven't seen him at all. In fact, it almost seems like they're deliberately hiding the Pyrosphere from players. Things aren't looking that bad for Ridley.
It's true that his chances weren't negatively affected, but morale was pretty noticeably lower after E3. It's probably merely being disappointed about the reveals, however.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Been checking on the forum now and again for a while, and finally decided to join as well

Sorry if this has already been said (tried to backtrack to see if it was), but how much credibility does the trophy theory have? aka The Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus games having new characters?

So far Palutena has been revealed and Ike is returning. Also There's no rep for Zelda or Metroid unless you count Shiek and Zero Suit Samus. But if they're new characters we could still see Chrom, Ridley and a new Zelda rep.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Been checking on the forum now and again for a while, and finally decided to join as well

Sorry if this has already been said (tried to backtrack to see if it was), but how much credibility does the trophy theory have? aka The Metroid, Zelda, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus games having new characters?

So far Palutena has been revealed and Ike is returning. Also There's no rep for Zelda or Metroid unless you count Shiek and Zero Suit Samus. But if they're new characters we could still see Chrom, Ridley and a new Zelda rep.
I mean, there's absolutely nothing to actually back up the theory. I think its bunk, honestly. I think people read too far into trophies.

Welcome to the boards!

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I wish the treehouse would show smash already. I want to hear the "Big news."
I'm not certain that the "big news" would be Ridley. It could be another newcomer or some veterans, possibly. Hopefully we don't see a Ridley de-confirmation.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

I'm not sure if this was discussed, but I remember weeks back I saw a point made about this on the FD Pyrosphere. The lava will be part of the stage even in FD mode, as shown above. Not sure if it means anything, but just thought I'd point it out (and if it was discussed, sorry, but there's a HUGE number of new posts lol.)

Last edited:

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
I mean, there's absolutely nothing to actually back up the theory. I think its bunk, honestly. I think people read too far into trophies.

Welcome to the boards!
Thanks, I had a feeling a was one of the people reading into it too much anyway lol

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It was discusses, yes, but as everything said once in this thread, it was prone to be discussed at least 10 more times.

I think the lava being back in the Final Destination Pyrosphere definitely hurts Ridley's chances. Any theory regarding the lava as a hazard is dead now, after all.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I think lava won't be the stage hazard.
So why remove lava from the Final Destination version of the stage if it has no impact on the match whatsoever? The goal is to maintain the aesthetics of the original stage while having a Final Destination stage layout. The lava is probably the most prominent aesthetic feature in the Geothermal plant.

Also "not looking bright for Ridley"? Having to wait longer isn't impacting his chances. :p

OblivionWolf

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0877-1107-8984
So why remove lava from the Final Destination version of the stage if it has no impact on the match whatsoever? The goal is to maintain the aesthetics of the original stage while having a Final Destination stage layout. The lava is probably the most prominent aesthetic feature in the Geothermal plant.

Also "not looking bright for Ridley"? Having to wait longer isn't impacting his chances. :p
Look at Neo Zero's post above. The lava is in FD now.

D

Deleted member

You guys are forgetting the purple things, unless Sakurai removes them later, they HAVE to do something, I mean, why include them if not?

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
There is something on smash at 12:20 Pacific times but don't know if it will be just gameplay or what.

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
sooooooo Pyrosphere is NOT in the demo and it was NOT in the invitational :smirk:
I think this is a BIG evidence for Ridley
I think Masahiro wants to reveal him near the 3DS lauch so maybe in the next direct we could see him ....
and I will support him until Masahiro himself says he's not playable
BTW can someone say when there is the Smash developer direct ?

Top Bottom