• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
People I don't want to see again because they wasted Nintendo's time.
Olmar
Rob
Lucus
Ice climbers
Jigglypuff

I like some of these characters but I would much prefer someone from list 1. Marth over Roy and Ike??? (I'm sorry he has a gay headband and a feminine face. Roy may be a pretty boy, but at least he looks like one.

Do you agree if you have a valid reason to agree or disagree? Message me; I'd like to hear you out.
It's the beginning of the end I see. The dredges are starting to make themselves known. People who don't know or have no idea about the games these characters are in, or even the significance they hold in-game.

How dare you put Olimar and Lucas in that list. There's no point to reply, but play Pikmin and Mother 3. Not that this post needs to really be given any thought...it's a shame, your "List 1" was sensible, mostly...

As for the bold...the hell is this? What the hell. I hope more of these things don't start cropping up so soon....

Also, this is the Ridley thread. Please put this in the Roster Prediction thread...or don't.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm sorry but I'll have to tear that list apart. There's too much that I disagree with.

1. 4 Sonic reps would make people happy? There would be a ****storm if that ever happens.

2. Disagree about Paper Mario, Toad, and Waluigi. Most people definitely want a Mario newcomer.

3. How dare you put ROB on that list of wasted potential? :glare:

REMEMBER... None of the characters in Brawl were chosen on a whim. And absolutely NONE of them are "wasted potential". If you don't know about their importance, better keep quiet.

4. What the hell of a reason is that to exclude Marth? Again, do some research before posting.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm sorry but I'll have to tear that list apart. There's too much that I disagree with.

1. 4 Sonic reps would make people happy? There would be a ****storm if that ever happens.
I think this type of person are the reason there are so many Sonic characters over basically every other character as a PSA on Brawl Vault. This includes such gems as Dj the Hedgehog and Edge the Hedgehog....ugh. Just call the game Super Smash Sonic Sonic Sonic why don't you?

I also love how they say "I hate seeing characters I never heard about over characters from List 1." Sounds like somebody needs to do the damn research.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I see that list... this is my reaction:

I'm not even commenting on it, it's not worth my time.

schniderx

Smash Rookie
It is simply who I think should be prioritized. Not who sucks/doesn't suck. In fact I'm going to edit Marth back in he's too iconic. Would you like Jigglypuff over Mewtwo.

schniderx

Smash Rookie
Who haven't you heard of everyone on the list is over a million copies sold and 10+ years old. Who needs to do some research. All except Issac who is popular in the brawl vault.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This is not the topic for roster discussions for one.

Secondly, to give you a fair warning, if you do decide to post your roster ideas elsewhere, you will be flamed a lot. It does not sound nice, but its probably what will happen.

Lastly, how old are you?

schniderx

Smash Rookie
No, I don't drink what up you guys. Your an admin, but your posting my personal information? I am a newbie to Brawl vault and I am posting at 2:18 at night. I didn't double check my grammar, but I have seen people write worse without getting crap. I am an ECE major so... yeah

schniderx

Smash Rookie
I just made the account about an hour ago. I thought the subject of discussion was "The Ridley for SSB4 Thread -- The Most Wanted Nintendo Newcomer." I said I think Ridley should be top priority, so what did I do wrong?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not an admin, and I posted information that's public on your profile.

I was just joking around with that.

Your list of priorities aren't accurate, is the problem

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No, I don't drink what up you guys. Your an admin, but your posting my personal information?
He does not have your personal information because he is an administrator, he has your personal information because you chose to list it publically.

I just made the account about an hour ago. I thought the subject of discussion was "The Ridley for SSB4 Thread -- The Most Wanted Nintendo Newcomer." I said I think Ridley should be top priority, so what did I do wrong?
Because your post mostly dealt with a whole bunch of other characters, and this is the Ridley support topic.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I MEAN ITS COOL I GUESS THAT YOU THINK SO HIGHLY OF RIDLEY. GO TEAM.

Chrono, what are you going to do if Ridley is revealed soon. Are you going to leave us since your life would be pretty much complete and you'll only have to wait a little longer to actually play as him.

schniderx

Smash Rookie
I would happily put an image in the prediction thread, but as I said earlier I made the account 2 about an hour and a half ago, so I don't know what the prediction thread is. This is my first time using a chat/form site. Like I said I wasn't trying to be rude I called it a priority list based on what non-brawl enthusiasts want. I want them to be prioritized based on how Iconic they are. These my favorites.

schniderx

Smash Rookie
No, I am thinking I am not going to buy anything after the PS3 and Wii. I bought all the games I want and can put Ridley in through alternative means. I know I am controversial, but I really mean to leave any resentment out. I do want to be my outspoken self though. I do it out of curiosity to see if I can find people that aren't repelled.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Please put all your responses in the one post instead of triple posting.
And I honestly think your post belongs in it's own thread.

Back to relevant matters, We know Ridley's default colour should be purple and he'll have a Red alternate colour based on Super Metroid's box art but what other ones?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Back to relevant matters, We know Ridley's default colour should be purple and he'll have a Red alternate colour based on Super Metroid's box art but what other ones?
This is actually a really good example. The design isn't all that bad either, though maybe it's because of the simple art style. The sixth one is really a toss-up though. But if Sakurai actually looks at the source material, those first five definitely seem like the right picks. It's strange, the black and yellow one doesn't actually show up in the series, but a lot of people give him that color. Meta-Ridley does sort of look like that in some screenshots.

I JUST REALIZED, I'm going to be so pissed if Ridley is given three toes because of Other M. RIDLEY HAS ALWAYS HAD TWO. ALWAYS THOUGHT THAT WAS COOL. It's weird how Ridley hardly has a consistent look, but Other M comes along and most people agree "that doesn't look like Ridley."

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That is actually what I am planning to do starting in May. :laugh:

At the very least, I am going to do new playthroughs of Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Fusion.
So... You're gonna do Metroid Fusion twice? :p

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
So... You're gonna do Metroid Fusion twice? :p
I meant Metroid Zero Mission, haha.

Chrono, what are you going to do if Ridley is revealed soon. Are you going to leave us since your life would be pretty much complete and you'll only have to wait a little longer to actually play as him.
Yeah, I may leave. The only other "true" newcomer I really want and care about, Mega Man, has a good chance at being confirmed too, and even if he isn't, I have a good feeling he will be confirmed eventually, and his fanbase has plenty of passionate and intelligent supporters.

For other characters I am sympathetic to and would like to see, but don't really the motivation to go out of the way to support them, (K. Rool, Little Mac, Palutena), they are very likely too and have plenty of passionate supporters as well, so they don't need me either.

For Mewtwo (among the only four newcomer characters I really care about), he is probably the single most likely character to get in and as with the others he has plenty of passionate and intelligent supporters.

With Roy, I feel he needs more passionate and intelligent supporters, so I may just stay to support and defend Roy.

If Roy had as many intelligent and passionate supporters as Mega Man, Mewtwo, K. Rool, Little Mac, and Palutena, I would not even hesitate to leave once Ridley is confirmed.

Toad and Dixie Kong I am sympathetic towards as well, and although they don't have that many passionate and intelligent supporters, I feel any efforts towards them are pointless considering the high competition for the Mario spot (there is at least three other characters competing with Toad) so it will be down to Sakurai's own personal whims, not popularity, and Dixie Kong will get a passionate and intelligent fanbase whenever K. Rool is confirmed.

With pre-Brawl, there were plenty of fanbases I worked with aside from the Ridley one. Sonic, King Dedede, and Ike. I also really wanted Diddy Kong (and Olimar), but he never had the detractors that Ridley, Sonic, King Dedede, and Ike had. Prior to Brawl's announcement I also really wanted Wario, Pit, and Meta Knight, but those characters did not really have detractors either.

Although Ridley has plenty of intelligent and passionate supporters, I still feel the need sometimes to speak up for him just because I guess I have been doing it for so long and because I just want him so much.

There are just very few characters this time that I feel strongly about, and of the characters I do feel strongly about, only one them would really benefit from my support (Roy).

I also don't want to be around the insanity that was the pre-Brawl period (post-unveil) a second time. Prolonged exposure to morons and fanboys is not good for your health you know.

So I would have to contemplate after Ridley's confirmation about what I would do next.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It does mean that they see him as important.

They could have picked any scene from Metroid and they chose a scene that he stars in.
The Ridley scene was clearly based on Super Metroid. The most succesful and at that moment most recent Metroid. And Ridley stealing the baby Metroid was a major plot device. Actually, the whole reason of the story. Of coarse they'd use that to represent Metroid.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I actually prefer a lower-saturation, darker toned Ridley. Like a glistening beetle more than a purple dinosaur.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I got one question.

Little Birdey is a clone of Ridley right? It was born and raised on the Bottle Ship.

So how did he know (and thus hate) Samus?
I think's it more of a just feral attach reaction from Ridley in Other M he is, in this game, a newborn. While he does mature quickly he obviously didn't have the raising the original Ridley had so he wasn't the cunning killer he is in the other games. I would assume he would just perceive Samus as a threat as she attached him in his second form so he instantly attacks her when he sees her.

D

Deleted member

Except that he attacked her first in his second form.
In fact, he ambushed her.

Then we go back to the Little Birdie stage where he glares at her and hisses for no explainable reason.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What Golden said.

Ridley's smart but not psychic!

There's no real way he would have known about Samus.

D

Deleted member

Actually, my point was that he may in fact have known. There wouldn't have been a real reason to target Samus or show discontent towards her unless it somehow remembered her.

Though there is insignificant evidence for either argument.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I only recently got into Metroid (literally within the past month). Having blasted through Fusion and Prime 1 in a few days each, I fully intend to buy Super Metroid when it comes out on Wii U VC next month, and I'll be starting Prime 2 very soon. I also intend to play Zero Mission and probably even pick up Metroid II on 3DS. (But **** Other M.) Within a month, Metroid has become one of my favorite series, close even to my love of Zelda. And I can now truly and with personal conviction say:

Ridley for Smash 4.

I dunno whether I'd prefer him or Mega Man, but I have more of a connection to Ridley, and he deserves a spot more than many of the characters that are currently in the series.

Here's hoping he's revealed at E3!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's not a good game by any means.

If you ignore it's flaws, it's a mediocre game at beast instead of horrible

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I actually like Other M. And Jigglypuff, in response to that more or less familiar scene of generic/new rant guy getting ripped up on the last few pages.

I haven't played any Metroid since Trilogy a few months back. My 3DS' L button crapping out on me prevents me from playing Fusion/Hunters, while my Wii being somewhere in storage prevents me from playing any newer ones, plus Metroid I and III I have on VC.

Also Oasis he had 3 toes in the original Metroid artwork where he looked like a bug, and in the Japanese live-action Super Metroid commercial.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's not a good game by any means.

If you ignore it's flaws, it's a mediocre game at beast instead of horrible
I enjoyed it. It's not the best Metroid title, but it's still quite good.

This was pretty good from what I remember of why Other M sucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX4mhp-8sOc
You realize GamingBrit complains for a living right? I stopped taking him seriously ages ago.

He gave Sonic Generations a 4/10 because of his own ******* reflexes.

That and apparently remixes don't count as good music.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Also Oasis he had 3 toes in the original Metroid artwork where he looked like a bug, and in the Japanese live-action Super Metroid commercial.
I don't really consider that Ridley as official, since it was just an interpretation by NoA. The original artwork for the NES Ridley would be this:

TWO TOES. Though I should clarify that I mean two toes IN FRONT. He tends to have a third toe in the back.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Have you even played it?

Give it a shot. It's a good game.

Also glad to have another Metroid fan.
No, but I watched the story to see just how bad it was. I have no intention of touching it anytime soon. I don't care how much fun it is, because the character in that game isn't Samus. If a new Zelda game came out and Link was a typical anti-hero tool, that wouldn't feel like a Zelda game, would it? Regardless of how Zelda-like the gameplay was. Likewise, when a woman who is strong, smart, and independent in every other title she's in is suddenly reduced to an airhead who takes orders from a man who has no authority over her, walks through rooms that damage her because she hasn't received permission to use her equipment, freezes up and lets her comrades die (I know he lives. Total cop-out.) upon seeing a rival who she's fought a number of times before, narrates without a hint of emotion, and essentially sets women's rights back fifty years, I can't bring myself to want to play such a game, even if it's the most fun thing in the world. All I can say is that I hope they don't use that pathetic excuse for the Samus I know in future games.

I'm not just jumping on the Other M hate wagon. I have no interest in playing it based on what I've seen of it. I know the game's story and I don't feel like running around between the cutscenes of Metroid: Character Assassination.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the problem is what we saw in Other M was the Japanese perception of Samus. Apparently in Japan she's not really a true Bounty Hunter, more of a freelance problem solver for the Galactic Federation. And they intentionally made Samus's dialogue all flat as if she was a robot reading a first person Samus fan-fic.

I liked Other M's gameplay but the story shows what happens when you don't pay attention to your international fan-base's perceptions and the like. The real kicker? They were trying to emulate Metroid Fusion's success in Japan but sold relatively poorly there too.

P.S. I'm not hating on Japan, I just don't think their Samus is the one we want.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think the problem is what we saw in Other M was the Japanese perception of Samus. Apparently in Japan she's not really a true Bounty Hunter, more of a freelance problem solver for the Galactic Federation. And they intentionally made Samus's dialogue all flat as if she was a robot reading a first person Samus fan-fic.

I liked Other M's gameplay but the story shows what happens when you don't pay attention to your international fan-base's perceptions and the like. The real kicker? They were trying to emulate Metroid Fusion's success in Japan but sold relatively poorly there too.

P.S. I'm not hating on Japan, I just don't think their Samus is the one we want.
It is fairly true that there's not much to indicate that she's a "bounty hunter" versus a Galactic Federation freelancer... it's not like we ever control her hunting down individuals. But what makes you think they intentionally made her dialogue flat and robot-like if the entire game is talking about her daddy issues and her maternal instincts? I'm pretty sure the voice acting just... isn't that good, not out of intent but because it simply isn't.

It's nice to see that some people do like the game, though. They tried something new with the series and I would like them to take the criticisms to heart while still trying new things.

I would throw in more, but... frankly, even though Hero 42 hasn't played the game, his/her response is exactly what my thoughts on it are. With the addition that, again, I freaking HATE that the primary thing they use to detail her life in the space military is the fact that there aren't any other women there. IT'S THE FUTURE. IT'S IN SPACE. They should've gone with people maybe thinking she's some weird chozo freak that was raised by aliens and nobody trusts her. Not "oh look, she's got a vagina. Why don't we fondly call her Lady as we shoot stuff and trade thumbs ups?"

Honestly, thinking about the game makes me angry. I might go back and beat it so I can have a fuller view of it all, but I did get pretty far. Sounds like I stopped just in time to avoid seeing the monstrosity that is Other M Ridley's final form.

[/Rant]

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
TBH, if you never played the prime games, which I haven't, Other M's story and her speeches make sense. The last game I played was Fusion and she does the same exact kind of thing in that game

Top Bottom